PDA

View Full Version : Travel antiseptic

gio
05-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Hi everyone. I'm leaving with my backpack for Sri Lanka and I want to take an antiseptic. What's you choice? I just need an effective one and I'd appreciate the lightness (I'm packing ultralight).

I have a Betadine (iodopovidone) at home and and I'd like to take it, but I can't because it's over 3.4oz. So the best option would be to find a safe little container where I can transfer a small quantity. It should be really safe because that substance colours everything.
Otherwise, do you know an effective antiseptic in travel size or in a different format (e.g. wipes)?

Thanks!

DeBru
05-21-2017, 10:43 AM
What about using an eye drop bottle and putting it inside a ziplock bag (or 2?)

capncat
05-21-2017, 10:59 AM
how much do you anticipate needing? individual alcohol wipes (like the kind used to prep an injection site) or benzylkonium chloride wipes are both clear, easy enough to come by, and wouldn't (at least not in my experience) be required to go in a liquids bag.

sturbridge
05-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Minimus has all kinds of single use stuff. They have neosporin for example in single use packages.

haraya
05-22-2017, 06:07 AM
I take a small tube of neosporin and keep it in a small (?) org pouch along with some Band-Aids, for minor cuts and scrapes. I figure if I need to clean a larger area, I can use water from my water bottle. Or if it's more serious I will need more than just a little antiseptic, and will seek aid. (Betadine would not be my travel solution, for precisely the staining problem you mention. :))

I think some folks on here have mentioned taking lavender essential oil as their all-purpose remedy. I tried that once but didn't end up using it. The unlikely prospect of breaking the vial and ending up with a scent bomb also crossed my mind. :)

sujo
05-22-2017, 06:30 AM
Here's an out-of-the-box suggestion: Vaseline.

I had a nurse recommend Vaseline instead of antibacterial so as not to tax the immune system. It works great. Clean the wound and apply Vaseline. You can leave it without a bandage, too, because it seals the area. And Vaseline comes in the cutest little travel sizes. Vaseline is also multipurpose use as a lip balm, as a moisturizer, for chaffing, etc.

tebnewyork
05-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Neosporin here I've had single serve package snd then like this. If you only need a little at a time this seems better because you don't waste what's left in the packages and once open can't really store the single packs

Muni_Jedi
05-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Minimus has all kinds of single use stuff. They have neosporin for example in single use packages.

This was going to be my suggestion. There are many single serve wipes and ointment packets out there.

gio
05-30-2017, 07:28 AM
Thank you, all your advices are brilliant. I ultimately found out that Betadine makes soaked bandages and I ordered it in my pharmacy. In this way I have my trusty antiseptic and I'm sure it won't spill.

For any other interested: they're thin and lightweight. 10 bandages packed individually. 10x10 cm.