PDA

View Full Version : Smart Alec questions

yosprey
05-23-2017, 07:50 AM
What are the dimensions of the two side pockets on the smart alec? I'm hoping to fit one 27oz klean kanteen and a 12 oz insulated klean kanteen on one side (95% of the time just the 27oz) and on the other side a couple of boxes that are about 4 in x 3 in x 2.5 in.

I'm also curious, does the bag function well if you have both a cache and a freudian slip in it?

EDIT Additional questions:

What size packing cubes fit the main compartment (TB or other brand)?
What size travel laundry sack, assuming it's to fit along with the packing cube?

Looking into this bag for a few use cases:
- occasionally short duration travel, one to one and a half bag trips to accompany my TB medium cafe bag
- work commute on the rare days I need to transport a laptop or, more frequently, workout clothes
- day hikes
- magic the gathering tournaments, where I need access to snacks, drinks, deck boxes, dice, notepad, pen, playmat tube (14in x 2in x2in), and occasionally trade binders
- grabbing wine on my way home from work

Badger
05-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Hi there,
I'm not 100% positive on this because my 12-oz insulated KK is in storage at the moment, but I think it would be a very tight squeeze to fit it plus a 27-oz KK in the side pocket. I was able to fit a 27 and 18 oz regular KK in the pocket but it was tight. The boxes should be no trouble, and I suppose a work-around would be to carry one bottle with the boxes in one pocket, and the other bottle on its own in the other.

The bag works well with both a Cache and a Freudian Slip; you'll have to experiment to determine which would be more comfortable to have up against your back.

Any size cube except the Tri-Star large will fit in the main compartment; my favorites are the Aeronaut 30 large and Tri-Star medium. The Aeronaut 45 large will work but is not ideal. I think that a combination of one medium or two small Tri-Star cubes and the Aeronaut 30 Travel Laundry Stuff Sack would work well. You can also fit the Eagle Creek 15" and 18" packing folders, which might be a good option if you have a bunch of large, flat items with you (Freudian Slip, laptop, binder).

Hope this helps!

yosprey
05-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Would the non-water bottle side pocket be large enough to accommodate a 14x2x2 inch plastic tube?

carl0
05-23-2017, 07:01 PM
I can't answer all your questions, but the SA works well with a cache and FS inside. Room for more inside as well.

bartleby
05-24-2017, 08:35 AM
Hi there,

the question of what fits in the side pockets of the Smart Alec does also depend on how much stuff you carry in the main compartment. If this is fully packed, it might be more difficult to fit bulky stuff in the side pockets. Regarding the bottles: The 27oz Kleen Kanteen bottle fits very nicely, I use it every day. I don't own the 12oz thermos but I tried it with an additional small IKEA thermos which is almost the size of the 27oz Kleen Kanteen. As you can see: Both would still fit in the side compartment (yes, I also closed the zipper :)).