PDA

View Full Version : Material question?

IllCommunication
06-14-2017, 12:55 PM
If you could have only one fabric forever, would you take the Halcyon or the Cordura? I am torn.

sarah_atx
06-14-2017, 01:05 PM
I guess I'd pick Halcyon so I could still have my Shop Bags.

Cristina
06-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Halcyon because:
-Cordura can abrade clothing, if for example it is against your body on the back of a bag
-Halcyon is lighter
-it slides better if it is inside another bag
-it is versatile enough to be a lining fabric and also an outer fabric
-shop bags, seconded!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kelly S
06-14-2017, 01:45 PM
Halcyon.
With the exception that I'd prefer cordura for luggage that was going to get checked for flights, because I think it's a more forgiving of being mishandled.

aedifica
06-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Of those two, I'd pick halcyon because I have a cat and cordura picks up cat hair like nobody's business. (I'm also concerned about the clothing abrasion Cristina mentioned.)

That said, I like ballistic for larger luggage like the Aeronauts.

automaticsoap
06-14-2017, 02:49 PM
definitely halcyon! less weight and less stiff.

luvdabags
06-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Halcyon for sure. I have an old Cordura SCB that I love, but the newer Cordura is really scratchy and pills fleece jackets/etc. Don't like that part. (colors are nice though)

pammy
06-14-2017, 07:12 PM
I agree with the other posters about keeping halcyon if there could be only one choice of fabric, because I love it, but I do enjoy the variety of colors that cordura comes in now and has in the past. I also wish there were more color choices in the 400d halcyon fabrics.

anna2222
06-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Definitely Halcyon over cordura. Cordura is rough and scratchy to the touch and grabs at things, like lint, pet hair, anything floating in the air...

However for the bigger bags, I would choose the other material choice, BALLISTIC any day over Halcyon... just sayin...

BWeaves
06-15-2017, 08:14 AM
Ballistic, then Halcyon. I do not like Cordura.

sboussios
06-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Halcyon over everything else, I ended up having to check my halcyon WF on a short hop flight in South America and there was no visible wear, I love the feel of the ballistic but it is pretty stiff. Do not like cordura at all, it has abraded my travel pants into pilled messes and picks up everything floating by, especially pet hair. I agree, more colors in the 400 weight Halcyon!

jmyser
06-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Does the scratchiness of cordura get worn smooth over time. Just got a halcyon bag that I love along with a linen cordura wallet op. I have been wanting a linen SCB for a long time, but I would be more comfortable getting it if the scratchiness wears down over time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darcy
06-16-2017, 08:41 AM
If you could have only one fabric forever, would you take the Halcyon or the Cordura? I am torn.

Hmmm.... you'll need to edit / update this question after the debut on the 27th :)

lizziejean3
06-16-2017, 04:06 PM
Halcyon for sure!

IllCommunication
06-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Hmmm.... you'll need to edit / update this question after the debut on the 27th :)

Haha awesome. I was about to order another bag I need but I am going to wait for the 27th. Something good is coming, i can feel it. Should be interesting.

jeff
06-17-2017, 12:37 AM
Does the scratchiness of cordura get worn smooth over time.
In my experience, it does not.

Dyneema, err, Halcyon for anything that doesn't get checked for a flight, Ballistic for things that do.

I'm mixed when I imagine a Cadet in Halcyon (my EDC for laptop, chargers, notes, folders of receipts, and an assortment of dongles and cables). The savings of around half a pound based on a guess from the Pilot specs is tantalizing.

For my travel, weight has become almost as important as volume when I consider what I take and what I pack into. Most European cities require at least trekking down stairs, if not up stairs as well, when using trains and subways. 50 g isn't a lot by itself, but all those 50g reductions quickly add up!

luvdabags
06-17-2017, 09:24 AM

Is Parapak coming back?

sturbridge
06-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Is Parapak coming back?

That would so incredible to have a new bag made out of parapack! One can wish..

Darcy
06-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Is Parapak coming back?

No. But there's a couple of similarities....

Kiwimac99
06-17-2017, 08:56 PM
I'm following this as I am just about to get an Aeronaut in Halcyon. However if something is being announced in a few days I guess I can wait!

I need to be able to check my bag though as one bag travel is rarely a possibility for me.

aedifica
06-18-2017, 01:33 AM
No. But there's a couple of similarities....

Ooh! I bet I can guess some of the similarities: it's made out of thread. It comes in colors.

Am I close? :)

Darcy
06-18-2017, 09:15 AM
Ooh! I bet I can guess some of the similarities: it's made out of thread. It comes in colors.

Am I close? :)

Hehe, yes. Accurate on both accounts. Especially the colors...

I'm following this as I am just about to get an Aeronaut in Halcyon. However if something is being announced in a few days I guess I can wait!

I need to be able to check my bag though as one bag travel is rarely a possibility for me.

There won't be any updates/anything new on the 27th related to the Aeronauts, FYI. If you're planning on checking your bag, I would recommend choosing ballistic nylon over Halcyon. The range of things that can happen to checked bags is pretty crazy: we've seen photos of bags (not even our own, but semi-hard-sided roller bags) totally mangled as if they were put through a giant bag shredder. At the very least, abrasion is a possibility (imagine your bag being tossed through the air and landing on concrete, or being dragged) and ballistic nylon is more abrasion-resistant than Halcyon.

Kiwimac99
06-21-2017, 04:20 AM
Hehe, yes. Accurate on both accounts. Especially the colors...

There won't be any updates/anything new on the 27th related to the Aeronauts, FYI. If you're planning on checking your bag, I would recommend choosing ballistic nylon over Halcyon. The range of things that can happen to checked bags is pretty crazy: we've seen photos of bags (not even our own, but semi-hard-sided roller bags) totally mangled as if they were put through a giant bag shredder. At the very least, abrasion is a possibility (imagine your bag being tossed through the air and landing on concrete, or being dragged) and ballistic nylon is more abrasion-resistant than Halcyon.

Hmm. Well, I guess that makes sense, although the weight saving would be welcome.

I notice that the vast majority of A45 colours are out of stock now and '2-12 weeks' is the closest time frame given. I need the bag shipped to New Zealand in time for a departure to SE Asia on 6 August, which is 6 1/2 weeks. How can I find out what colours might be available for order in time to ship?

BWeaves
06-21-2017, 06:33 AM
Send an e-mail to emailus@tombihn.com