PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from DLBC

portlandia
06-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some advice on an upgrade from my handy DLBC (Nordic Halcyon). Basically, I'm about to move to another city, and will soon be commuting by train to an office instead of mostly working remotely and flying a lot. Guess I should rethink my forum username (chosen when I thought I would never move...:))

For the frequent 2-3 day travel I do, the Tri-Star and DLBC combo has been magical. But.... it doesn't solve for the increased capacity I may need on a daily commute like what I'm about to go into.

Specifically, I'm trying to solve for a pack list something like:

1) 13" MacBook Air in Cache
2) Snake Charmer (open to switching to other organizers) with my MBA power brick, several iPhone chargers, portable battery, suite of display adapters
3) Small notebook
4) Keys, badge, on key straps

--- all above fits in DLBC great----

5) Water bottle or sealable Contigo coffee cup
6) Small lunch carrier
7) Room for a scrunchable hoodie or compressible windbreaker (I'm moving to the Bay Area, famous for sudden transitions to-from warmth)
8) Potential on the way home shopping (not big items, but would love space for small incidentals).

My commute will be something like: walk 15 minutes, stand (won't usually get a seat) on BART for 25 min or so, walk 10 minutes on the other end.

I'm leaning Pilot, as many do, but interested in opinions with regard to whether a shoulder bag would be uncomfortable for that length of commute. I am also thinking one of the Synapses potentially.

Many thanks for advice!

maverick
06-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Hi portlandia!

Indeed, the Pilot and Synapse 19 should both accommodate what you described.

The Synapse 19 will give you a little more capacity, enabling you to perhaps carry inside of it more of what you might pick up on your way home. In the Pilot, you could carry a folded Shop Bag to hold what you might potentially pick up.

The Standard Shoulder Strap that accompanies the Pilot is very comfortable, but you may want to upgrade to the Absolute Shoulder Strap for the ultimate comfort, specially for heavier loads.

The backpack straps of the Synapse 19 are just fantastic, and of course enable you to spread the weight across both shoulders.

I have carried the Daylight Briefcase, the Pilot, as well as the Synapse 19 for my EDC needs. There are times I gravitate toward a backpack, and other times that I gravitate toward a briefcase for my EDC needs. Of late, I prefer a briefcase design for my EDC needs, and a backpack design for my travel needs.

As you may be aware, there is a debut coming on the 27th. You may want to wait for that announcement before you make your decision.

BWeaves
06-22-2017, 01:41 PM
". . . stand (won't usually get a seat) on BART for 25 min or so . . ."

It's times like that when I do NOT want something on my back that the person behind me can pickpocket.

I vote the Pilot, and wear it slung to the front, not the back of you.

Badger
06-22-2017, 02:52 PM
I don't think the Pilot would be uncomfortable, especially with an Absolute Strap; however, IMO the Synapse would be a better choice than the Pilot since you anticipate doing shopping and bringing your lunch.

I also agree with maverick to wait a few days to see what's coming down the pipeline.

portlandia
06-22-2017, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I'm leaning slightly Pilot, since it feels a bit more professional looking, but totally right that I'll fit much more shopping in a backpack!

Great reminder to wait for the debut - I'm excited to see what the good folks at TB have dreamed up this time.

aedifica
06-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I'm leaning slightly Pilot, since it feels a bit more professional looking, but totally right that I'll fit much more shopping in a backpack!

Great reminder to wait for the debut - I'm excited to see what the good folks at TB have dreamed up this time.

I learned from the inventive folks here on the forum that the Pilot fits in the Tri-Star Packing Cube Backpack, so now I keep a TS PCBP folded up in the outside (magazine/pass-through) pocket of my Pilot. If you did that, you could have the professional look of the Pilot but have more flexibility. I've used it to turn the Pilot into a backpack when I got tired of carrying a shoulder bag (I had the Pilot stuffed heavier than usual that day), and also in a heavy rainstorm where I wanted an additional layer of water resistance. I can also use the PCBP as additional space if I stop for groceries on the way home, though I haven't used it that way yet.

I'm looking forward to the debut too!

portlandia
06-23-2017, 02:48 PM
I learned from the inventive folks here on the forum that the Pilot fits in the Tri-Star Packing Cube Backpack, so now I keep a TS PCBP folded up in the outside (magazine/pass-through) pocket of my Pilot. If you did that, you could have the professional look of the Pilot but have more flexibility. I've used it to turn the Pilot into a backpack when I got tired of carrying a shoulder bag (I had the Pilot stuffed heavier than usual that day), and also in a heavy rainstorm where I wanted an additional layer of water resistance. I can also use the PCBP as additional space if I stop for groceries on the way home, though I haven't used it that way yet.

I'm looking forward to the debut too!

Thanks for the tip! Now searching, I can see also that the Daylight Backpack can also be used the same way. Could be a great trick to handle all the shopping if needed, professional look otherwise. Options.... options...

JonC
06-24-2017, 04:12 PM
I use a DLBC a lot, however for work and travel I need a little more room, the Pilot is perfect with an Absolute Strap, very comfortable and provides the extra space needed. You can see what I carry in it on todayís TB Portable Culture Portrait blog post (I donít have a water bottle listed in the post, but there would still be room for one in the middle pocket).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

portlandia
06-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Or should I go STOWAWAY?! A bit less space than the Pilot, but I love the ability to convert to a backpack!

sarah_atx
06-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Backpack conversion is a game changer ;)

portlandia
06-27-2017, 03:00 PM
@maverick would love pictures of the Stowaway vs the Pilot as mentioned in the Debut thread! Nice video overview on YouTube btw!