PDA

View Full Version : Do stowaway packing cubes work with Pilot?

happig42
06-30-2017, 07:07 AM
I really like the zipper design of the Stowaway Packing cubes but I can't get a good idea of size. Do they fit in the front pockets? If you had two in the main pocket, do they fill up the whole pocket? or are they super thin and fit in the little tablet pockets in the main pocket?

maverick
06-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Hi @happig42,

I haven't tried myself, but given that the Small Pilot Packing Cube dimensions are:

10.6" / 270mm x 5.6" / 140mm x 2.3" / 55mm

and they are designed to fit in the front pockets of the Pilot.

The Stowaway Packing Cube dimensions are:

9.1 / 230 mm x 6.6 / 170 mm x 1.8 / 45 mm

so they are not as tall, a little wider, and a little thinner.

Depending on how full you pack the packing cubes width-wise, I think the Stowaway Packing Cubes could work in the front pockets of the Pilot.

moriond
06-30-2017, 08:27 AM
I really like the zipper design of the Stowaway Packing cubes but I can't get a good idea of size. Do they fit in the front pockets? If you had two in the main pocket, do they fill up the whole pocket? or are they super thin and fit in the little tablet pockets in the main pocket?

@happig42,

I only have the dimensions of the Stowaway packing cubes to work with, but they should be too wide to fit into the front pockets of the Pilot, which are reduced in width by having to fit a water bottle pocket in between them.

Here are the packing cube dimensions for the Pilot and Stowaway presented in an odd order, but one that may make it easier to see the comparison:

Overall, the main compartment of the Pilot is taller and longer in cross-section (it can fit in a 15" laptop even though this is technically too tight with a cache, whereas if you try this with the Stowaway, you physically can't get this into the bag -- see @maverick's video where he tries a 2016 15" Retina MacBook Pro)

The Pilot large packing cube for the main (back) compartment is:
14.2" x 10.6" x 2.6" / 360 x 270 x 65mm
(This is slightly thinner than the depth of the full compartment in the 2.6" dimension)

The Pilot small packing cube for each front side compartment (in this dimension order) is:
5.6" x 10.6" x 2.3" / 140 x 270 x 55mm
(2 x 5.6" is smaller than 14.2" because the water bottle pocket occupies space between the two front pockets of the Pilot)

The Stowaway Packing Cube dimensions are:
6.6" x 9.1" x 1.8" / 170 x 230 x 45 mm
So each of the Stowaway packing cubes is too wide to fit into the front side pocket of a Pilot (6.6" > 5.6" ), even though the height would fit (9.1" < 10.6")

Two of the Stowaway Packing Cubes could be placed side by side into the main (back) compartment of the Pilot, with the handles on the top:
(2 x 6.6") x 9.1" x 1.8" / (2 x 170) x 230 x 45 mm < 14.2" x 10.6" x 2.6" / 360 x 270 x 65mm

They would only occupy 13.2" of the length of the Pilot main compartment (vs. the 14.2" of the large Pilot Packing Cube), 9.1" of the height (vs. 10.6" of the Pilot packing cube) and 1.8" of the depth (vs. 2.6" of the Pilot Large Packing Cube)

Hope this helps with the explanation (and that I have all these dimensions copied correctly). I know a visual comparison or picture might be better, but I only have the Pilot and its packing cubes -- I don't have either the Stowaway or it's packing cube to demonstrate, so I have to go according to the product page specs and @maverick's video for an answer.

ETA: sorry didn't see @maverick's answer. I defer to his judgement. You could probably use these in the front pockets of the Pilot if you under filled them.
moriond