PDA

View Full Version : Request: Larabar intervention

jonjake
02-26-2008, 08:51 PM
One of my weaknesses is rushing to order items that sound interesting when I read strangers gushing about them on the web. Close friends rave about things and I say sure, whatever. But strangers? I bite every time.

And so it was that I ordered a sampler box of Larabars based on the longish thread here on these all-natural energy bars. Apple pie, cherry pie, and pecan pie.

Then I ordered another couple of boxes of the cherry and apple pie, and also a box of the cocoa mole, and then another box of the cocoa mole.

So what I am asking you people to do here is tell me your stories of how Larabars gave you a fat ass, or love handles like Louie Anderson's, or a big dewlappy double chin. Seriously, I need to read some Larabar hate, NOW, or else I'm going to keep eating 5 of these @#$ things a day until they have to cut away a wall of my house to get me out.

Enough with the "ooooo, the lemon bar is to die for!" and "pistachio changed my life!" -- give me the cautionary tales, and give them to me full force, people. Please. I beg you.

wildgeese
02-26-2008, 11:39 PM
you shoulda got the cashew kind...

PM4HIRE
02-27-2008, 06:40 AM
I suggest you quickly enter a 12 step program with
a strong track record of success.

Click http://www.bettyfordcenter.org/ to learn more.

aiethabell
02-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Alas, I believe there is no hope for you. :eek:

Have you tried Jocalat bars? Oh, they're really Larabars, too... with chocolate... oh, heelll...p, now I've done it!

I don't even LIKE cashews or walnuts, and I eat Larabars with them. I am, right now, thinking I don't have time for lunch and there IS NO LARABAR in my Swift! I want to hop on the SLU* and go to Whole Foods RIGHT NOW.

About the only help I can give you is:

Go back to bars with all the cr*p in them. (Not much chance of that - Larabars taste like real food, 'cause they are, which is why we love them so.)
Avoid the stores which sell them.
Avoid the websites which sell them.
Avoid giving your correct shipping address out so they don't arrive.
Avoid even thinking about the dang things... *growl* (my stomach is empty, so empty, must have Larabar...)

Oh, dear, I'm not much help, am I???:rolleyes:

Darcy
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
This is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Maybe someone makes an ankle-bracelet device that monitors your date intake?

Zephyrnoid
02-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Glad I caught this one.
I must be the poor sucker that discovered Lara Bars three years ago. I used them heavily in a study that we did for this project...
http://www.imagometrics.com/GoBags/GoBaghome.htm
In my research of 'energy bars' Lara Bar came out on top for a number of reasons. The most conspicuous were low sodium and vegan diet compliance.
I never became addicted to them because I do not snack on them nor do I advocate that others do either. I use them as fast, on the go semi-replacement meals providing everything I need in a meal, minus protein.
I'm also careful to chase them with lots of water .
Used as such- they will never make you put on weight.
Any food that is used between meals will add to your calorie intake.
I do count calories that I consume against those that I actually burn !!
No fun eh?
Pistachio is arch enemy No.1 as it's PACKED with fat calories. I only eat one a year on my Birthday of those suckers.

AVService
02-28-2008, 02:53 PM
you shoulda got the cashew kind...

Funny,these are the ones that I like the best?

I can stop anytime though:D

However I do not plan to!

Ed

jonjake
02-29-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm not seeing any Larabar hate here, people. Give me some hate. I need hate for these delicious, nutritious, inexpensive, convenient little god@%#$ $^$%#%# #^%#%# &#^#%## *#^#^# #

One thing I will give these Larabars -- they do fill you up. Most energy bars, even the craptastic Powerbars, still leave me hungry afterward. But the Larabars, small and quick to eat though they may be, really feel like a meal in your belly. It's the only thing that keeps me from doubling down every time I pass by the open box of bars in the kitchen.

I went the whole day yesterday without eating any. Okay, I ate one. But for me, especially lately, that's basically not eating any.

You people are no help.

Alicia
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I think the lemon ones taste like eating Pledge.

Is that hateful enough for you?

jonjake
03-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, I'm not a fan of the lemon either, but I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to Pledge. It's okay, just not as tasty as the other flavors I've tried like cherry/apple/pecan pies, pistachio, and especially the cocoa mole. Actually that's the one I need to hear some real, serious hate about, as soon as humanly possible.

MikeL
03-02-2008, 03:00 PM
As of this weekend and because of this thread I'm brand new to Larabars. Oh how I hate you guys.

I've seen the pictures of TB bags with a Larabar in it. I've see the occasional reference to them; but I'd always assumed they were some Euro/Snack/Import as I'd never seen them at my Whole Foods.

That was my 1st mistake. I never walked down the aisle that they were in because I wasn't in the market for the products in that section.
So, yesterday while shopping (and picking up a mushroom and gorgonzola pizza pie from the hot food section - yummy) I decided to go on a Larabars quest. Sure enough they were in the aisle that, I never go down.

My 2nd mistake was getting several flavors. I picked up 10 in all. Yesterday my wife, daughter and I split a Cherry Pie.
To quote my daughter, "what is this?" she said with the same scowl that most college students show when they really don't want to try something new. Then, with her mouth full of a third of the Larabar, she said, "Dad, this is ungodly delicious!"

After showing her the wrapper, and explaining why I picked them up, she proclaimed that she would have to pick up a box of Cherry Pie.

All I can think of right now is which one to have on the way to work tomorrow morning. These things are [sick] they're so good.

My Supper Egoís going to have to have one or two in them for those days I canít get lunch because Iím on the move.

AVService
03-03-2008, 06:02 AM
I just want to know what could drive an otherwise normal/sane Bihn patron to eat or taste Pledge?!?

jonjake
03-03-2008, 06:27 AM
We're adults who spend time on a message board about BAGS. That's what.

Alicia
03-03-2008, 07:37 AM
I just want to know what could drive an otherwise normal/sane Bihn patron to eat or taste Pledge?!?

Not so much the eating it, but the smell from it when it is sprayed and the fumes go up your nose. You can kinda "taste" it then. :D

Sorry to say I haven't had the cocomole, so I can't hate on it.

AVService
03-03-2008, 08:15 AM
We're adults who spend time on a message board about BAGS. That's what.

Good Point.
I always overlook the obvious.

aiethabell
03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
My Supper Egoís going to have to have one or two in them for those days I canít get lunch because Iím on the move.
'Supper' Ego. What a correct description!

You'll find you won't leave the house without making sure The Bar is inside something you're carrying or wearing. You'll find you won't be able to board a plane without at least two - just in case of holds or, worst-case-scenario, diversions! Who knows which airport you'll end up in during bad weather, who knows what drek they'll be serving? When the rest of your flight is gagging down some gruel a starving dog wouldn't even sniff (for the price of a Lake Washington luxury home), you'll be tastily fed, happy, and smiling in pleasure!

I remember one flight when a woman had two cases of Larabars in her carry-on and was told it was overweight (international flight). She tossed everything she could toss into her checked bag to make weight, but not the bars. 'After all, if they get lost, what shall I do?'

The worst happened. Her bag didn't appear at the other end. She was all smiles. 'But the bars made it!' She had a change of undies, prescription meds, a spare pair of glasses, and two boxes of Larabars. Otherwise known as the essentials. We ended up at the same hotel, where her bag arrived two days later. She didn't care that her makeup and spare hose had been in limbo. Life was good. The Larabars were safe. I agreed with her. I'd have done and felt the same. You can't eat hose or foundation. :p

I love Larabars. :D

(ACTUALLY, I :mad: HATE THEM! I :mad: HATE THAT I BUY THEM ALL THE TIME. I :mad: HATE THAT THEY MAKE THINGS I DETEST TASTE SO GOOD I EAT THEM NO MATTER WHAT THE INGREDIENTS.)

Maybe I should make an appointment at Betty Ford, myself...

MikeL
03-03-2008, 03:21 PM
'Supper' Ego. What a correct description!

:D :rolleyes: you caught that! My wife thought I was trying to be too cute.
I've turned my Lovely Super Ego into a Supper Ego. I now have four Larabars and a liter of water in [it]!
I ate one this morning because I'd missed breakfast - and then there were 3 I guess :). For the record, the one I had today was Lemon. I kind of like it; but I also like lemons a lot.

Oh, and my daughter ended up buying two boxes of Cherry Pie. I'm going to have to hide them. If I know my family they'll be gone before the middle of next week. :o If I hide them, I might eat them all my self - muuu haaaaa, muuu haaaaa, muuu haaaaaa!

Darcy
03-12-2008, 04:02 PM
We're considering giving away miniature Larabars (instead of cookies) in some orders over the holidays this year. But would that count as enabling your problem?

stargurl84
03-13-2008, 08:22 AM
these are delicious....if you're looking for me to tell you to stop I don't think I can help!

Zephyrnoid
04-01-2008, 07:14 PM
That's a gr8 idea Darcy!!
Love those minis huh?
For those that want to hear about 'Larabar Hate'. It existed in the Form of Prototype 'Maya Bar- Chocolate Mint' which tasted like Listerine Mint Mixed with a Brownie here's an eval we did a year or so ago...
http://www.imagometrics.com/GoBags/MayaBar.htm
The Larabar eval is here...
http://www.imagometrics.com/GoBags/LaraBar.htm

We're considering giving away miniature Larabars (instead of cookies) in some orders over the holidays this year. But would that count as enabling your problem?

Darcy
04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
For those that want to hear about 'Larabar Hate'. It existed in the Form of Prototype 'Maya Bar- Chocolate Mint' which tasted like Listerine Mint Mixed with a Brownie here's an eval we did a year or so ago..

Uggh! That sounds awful. Especially to me: I'm not a fan of the chocolate Lara Bars OR any kinds of mint. Yuk.

And Zeph...it's totally your fault that we're hooked on Pistachio bars here at the offices. :)

jonjake
04-02-2008, 06:03 PM
It's been two weeks since my last Larabar. Every time I wander into the kitchen, my eye involuntarily darts to the counter where the pile used to be. I've come to the conclusion that I can't have them in the house and not eat three a day. It's just not possible.

Other conclusions:

After sampling most of the flavors, I decided Cherry Pie was my favorite, followed by Pistachio, Cocoa Mole, Pecan Pie, and Apple Pie.

Jeff Bezos needs to stop selling the sampler boxes so that the bars come out to a buck or so with shipping, the no-good @%#$. Guy's so loaded he has cufflinks made of human teeth harvested from his crushed rivals, but he needs to torment me with cheap Larabars shipped 2-day? #%#$# him and his desk made out of an old door.

Zephyrnoid
04-04-2008, 10:08 AM
And it's therefore totally your fault that we hooked you - cause if you and Tom Bihn Inc. weren't so cool, we wouldn't like you so much! :D

And Zeph...it's totally your fault that we're hooked on Pistachio bars here at the offices. :)

pretzelb
04-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Jeff Bezos needs to stop selling the sampler boxes so that the bars come out to a buck or so with shipping, the no-good @%#$. Guy's so loaded he has cufflinks made of human teeth harvested from his crushed rivals, but he needs to torment me with cheap Larabars shipped 2-day? #%#$# him and his desk made out of an old door.

Ohhh. I didn't know about that option. I might have to look into that.

I can't help but wonder if I can make these myself, or something similar. With such simple ingredients it shouldn't be too hard.

jonjake
04-07-2008, 08:37 PM
One of my son's teachers, who I turned into a Larabar zombie, was in a convenience store a few days ago and saw that all the Larabars were marked .79/ea. She confirmed with the manager that this was not a mistake, and then she bought all of the boxes in the store. All of them. Over a gross. My head hurts.

Alicia
04-08-2008, 08:50 AM
a gross of boxes or a gross of bars? Either way that is a lot.

jonjake
04-08-2008, 12:24 PM
A gross of bars. For me, a month's supply.

Zephyrnoid
04-14-2008, 05:56 AM
Just bought 3 cases of the new Lara Bar mixed boxes at Costco! Great flavors and NO chocolate!
As a point of advice to my fellow LaraBar addicts:
DO NOT store your Larabars in the trunk of your car on very hot Summer days.
Last year, in testing them for emergency usage, I stored 6 Larabars in my 72Hr Go Bag. Our August highs turned my trunk into a 110ļf oven.
One week of that caused some of the plasticizers in the LaraBar packaging to leech into the bars themselves, giving them a nasty little - 'scent'. I can't be sure how that affected me from a nutritional standpoint.
I will be sure to store the bars at below 90ļf - I suggest that you do the same. Bon Appetite !

Darcy
04-14-2008, 10:24 AM
New Lara Bar mixed boxes at Costco?? I'm going today!

moriond
05-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Sad news for all Lšrabar pistachio fans:

Pistachio is retiring this month (http://www.larabar.com/fun/blog/link/330-pistachio-is-retiring) as a flavor. In fact, if you visit the main www.larabar.com site at this moment, you'll see the message: 2007-2010 Pistachio is Retiring! (kind of like an R.I.P.) Tom Bihn office staff, this is your last chance to stock up.

moriond

Darcy
05-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, moriond. It's a sad day!

flitcraft
05-15-2010, 10:47 PM
For those who live in North Seattle: the Roosevelt Whole Foods is out of Pistachio. But the PCC on 65th has them still! (With an enormous effort of will I did not clean out their stock.)

maverick
07-08-2010, 09:02 AM
i just discovered a new larabar - tropical fruit tart (http://www.larabar.com/food/larabar/tropical-fruit-tart) - i hadn't tried before (not sure how long it has existed, but it was quite a treat!).

Katy
07-08-2010, 09:05 AM
:eek: That sounds amazing!!