PDA

View Full Version : Status of Brain Bag backpack?

MtnMan
07-19-2017, 08:50 AM
I see the status of the Brain Bag backpack at the Bihn web-site is marked as "Not available at the moment. Check back soon!"

Does anyone know when the Brain Bag will be available for order again?

MtnMan
07-19-2017, 08:56 AM
Also, does anyone know if the Camera I/O is either temporarily discontinued and being replaced with something similar, or is it gone for good, or is it coming back in modified form at some point?

DubbySmurf
07-19-2017, 09:04 AM
I believe the Camera I/O has been discontinued for good if I remember correctly. Perhaps it was 2014 or 2015 when they stopped producing it? I do know that there have been some discussions about similar types of offerings by not TB that others have used with some success.

As to the Brain Bag itself, I think @Darcy mentioned that it was not currently being discontinued, so that is a plus; however, I don't know of any timeline for it to be available again. while scrounging around on eBay though I see them pop up quite often. I would be disappointed to see the BB go as it was my first bag from TB and has gone around the world with me as a daily carry, but then again since I have one I don't see myself needing to buy another one anytime soon....(unfortunately)

bltkmt
07-19-2017, 09:51 AM
I love my BB and use it often as a 3-day weekend suitcase. I would buy one in Halycon for sure.

tpnl
07-19-2017, 09:53 AM
@DubbySmurf is right about the Camera I/O. It is discontinued - together with the 2 sizes of Quiver to hold tripods.

... and @DubbySmurf - I completely understand your comment on the Brian Bag - my 2004 BB is still going strong and I have no "real" reason to get another one - unfortunately ... The bag is like the Energizer Bunny - it just keeps on going and is a sign of how timeless and durable a backpack it is. That being said, I am sure I could convince myself :)

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

moriond
07-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Also, does anyone know if the Camera I/O is either temporarily discontinued and being replaced with something similar, or is it gone for good, or is it coming back in modified form at some point?

@MtnMan,

Darcy announced that the Camera I/O was being retired at the end of March 2016, just before the product debut which introduced products in the second set of limited edition Halcyon (Fjord, Sitka, and Monarch), and also introduced the Sprout backpack. This was also when she announced that the Brain Cells would be retired. I think the existing stock sold out by the start of summer 2016.

Bags To Be Retired

Now, on to some sad but necessary news. Below is the list of bags that we anticipate we will retire in 2016. We have to make way for all of the new stuff in the works, and retiring current designs is the only way to do that.

Camera I-O (what we have now is all we'll ever have; no more batches will be made)
Tripod - Lighting Kit Quivers (same as above)
Horizontal Brain Cell (same)
Vertical Brain Cell (same)

moriond

ETA: I meant that I think the existing stock of Camera I-O's sold out by the start of Summer 2016. There are still Brain Cells left, but the larger popular sizes like the 15" vertical Brain Cells were sold out by mid-Summer 2016. Then, there was a flurry of other size Brain Cells selling out earlier this year in January and February.

DeBru
07-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Maybe they are testing it in Halcyon or the new ballistic to make the bag a little lighter.... hoping..... hoping..... :o

Muni_Jedi
07-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Maybe they are testing it in Halcyon or the new ballistic to make the bag a little lighter.... hoping..... hoping..... :o

I'm hoping beyond hope that they have a Halcyon version in Beta somewhere. @Darcy I'll not so subtly beg to be a tester if you need one.

MtnMan
07-19-2017, 02:03 PM
I just want to see the most recent version of the Brain Bag in Universal Camouflage, like it used to be.

A shame to hear about the demise of the Brain Cells. That's what happens when you drink too much... :)

I see that there is a Camera Insert (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/accessories/products/camera-insert-nf-duffel?variant=16664356935) for the Night Flight Travel Duffel (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/travel-bags/products/night-flight-duffel?variant=42164062023). I wonder if this could work inside a Brain Bag...

Probably not.

JHood
07-19-2017, 03:31 PM
I see the status of the Brain Bag backpack at the Bihn web-site is marked as "Not available at the moment. Check back soon!"

Does anyone know when the Brain Bag will be available for order again?

I asked the same question in an mail a few weeks ago and below is the response I got back.

Typically when a design is "In Production" there is the opportunity to sign up to be notified via email when specific color combinations are back in stock: see the Co-Pilot page as an example. The Brain Bag, however, doesn't offer that option at this time because our next production run of Brain Bags will feature all new color combinations -- and thus there aren't any Brain Bags to photograph in those colors just yet.

Our factory crew is currently busy making various designs, so we estimate the Brain Bag will be back in-stock and ready to ship by late August; photos of the new colors (and the ability to sign up to be notified via email the exact moment they're in-stock) will be up by early August.

So, in the meantime, your best option would be to check the Brain Bag page around late July and early August for that opportunity to sign up to be notified via email.

Hope that helps,

Jorin

melminimalist
07-20-2017, 04:45 AM
@MtnMan there is a listing on eBay for a brain bag with camera I/o and quiver and waist strap. Just thought I'd throw you an FYI!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

MtnMan
07-20-2017, 01:19 PM
^ Yes, I saw that. Quite a package, but I'm not sure I can afford the whole package now. Keeping an eye on it, though.

Thanks for the alert.

If only I could find a setup like that one with a camo BB... One can dream...

Brummell
07-21-2017, 08:33 PM
I'm hoping for a Brain Bag in Mars Red. The sooner the better!

ceepee
07-22-2017, 12:37 AM
@Brummell if you look at the photo of the Brain Bag on the main Backpack page it looks like your wish may be coming true [emoji16]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170722/e6b08188c4617960f7a38e0049e2e4a0.jpg

Brummell
07-22-2017, 07:42 AM
@ceepee I know, I've wanted a true red Brain Bag for a long time, that little thumbnail gives me hope!

Brummell
07-22-2017, 10:44 AM
And Mars Red is confirmed! :D

JHood
07-22-2017, 12:06 PM
I am excited to see these new bag colors and material combos. Could you all talk to me about pros and cons of Cordura vs Ballistic? Doesn't seem to be much of a weight difference. Ballistic won't attract pet hair like Cordura... what else I am missing here? Thanks a lot, folks!

Jorin

bermudajes
07-22-2017, 01:30 PM
I am excited to see these new bag colors and material combos. Could you all talk to me about pros and cons of Cordura vs Ballistic? Doesn't seem to be much of a weight difference. Ballistic won't attract pet hair like Cordura... what else I am missing here? Thanks a lot, folks!

Jorin

I find cordura to be a rougher, more abrasive fabric (which I talked about in the thread cordura eating my clothes? (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/8372-cordura-eating-my-clothes.html)). I love the smoothness of ballistic, and while I like the look of halcyon, ballistic's come to be my preferred choice for most TB bags.

JHood
07-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Thank you for the information. Appreciated.

Jorin