PDA

View Full Version : Best Bag For iPad Pro 12.9"?

Jeff A
08-09-2017, 08:18 AM
I haven't posted in quite some time but I still use my TB gear all the time! I'm looking for a simple bag for my iPad Pro 12.9", headphones, journal, some cables, 3D organizer, etc.

I think the Daylight Briefcase with cache could be the winner. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Thanks!

Edit: Maybe the Maker's Bag? I have a small cafe bag that I use as a small EDC. Maker's Bag looks like a wider version of that. I'm also going from a 15" MacBook Pro to a 13" MacBook Pro at work so I should take that into consideration, as well. Currently my Synapse 25 is my laptop bag but I rarely take my laptop home with me, just the iPad Pro.

bermudajes
08-09-2017, 08:42 AM
I don't have the Ristretto, but depending on the size of your headphones and cables, maybe you'd want to consider that as well?

Jeff A
08-09-2017, 10:01 AM
I don't have the Ristretto, but depending on the size of your headphones and cables, maybe you'd want to consider that as well?

Thanks for the reply. I did consider the Ristretto but I need to carry some journals and other letter-sized paperwork on the inside.

Badger
08-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Hi, Jeff!

I think the Maker's would be a great bag for your needs—it can totally hold a 13" MBP, but it won't look ridiculous with only the iPad Pro in it. I really like the zippered inner pocket for keeping folders and papers tidy.

DubbySmurf
08-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Having used the MB and DLBC with my iPad Pro, I would also recommend the Maker's Bag. It's the perfect amount of space for my Pro with Smart Keyboard, a water bottle, and all the pother little things i carry daily.

Jeff A
08-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Hi, Jeff!

I think the Maker's would be a great bag for your needs—it can totally hold a 13" MBP, but it won't look ridiculous with only the iPad Pro in it. I really like the zippered inner pocket for keeping folders and papers tidy.

Thanks, Badger! Nice to hear from you :) The organization of the MB looks amazing! Plus it holds more than the DLBC. Would a Snake Charmer easily fit with an iPad Pro in a cache?

Jeff A
08-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Having used the MB and DLBC with my iPad Pro, I would also recommend the Maker's Bag. It's the perfect amount of space for my Pro with Smart Keyboard, a water bottle, and all the pother little things i carry daily.

Thanks for the comment. Do you have the Horizontal Cache made for the 12.9" iPad Pro w/ smart keyboard, too?

JonC
08-09-2017, 12:17 PM
I use the DLBC and Pilot for carrying my iPad Pro 12.9, depending on where I am going.
Both bags work great, the Pilot has more room, it is perfect for travel and carrying a lot of items while the DLBC is great for quick trips with my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DubbySmurf
08-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the comment. Do you have the Horizontal Cache made for the 12.9" iPad Pro w/ smart keyboard, too?

Nope. I either use the Urban Armor Gear Metropolis case or I use a sleevecase for Waterfield Designs. They both fit fine in the MB. I found the Pro in a sleeve was a little tight for my DLBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff A
08-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Nope. I either use the Urban Armor Gear Metropolis case or I use a sleevecase for Waterfield Designs. They both fit fine in the MB. I found the Pro in a sleeve was a little tight for my DLBC.

Wow, that Metropolis case is very cool! It says it's compatible with the Apple Smart Keyboard. Not sure how it works with that case. Do you have the smart keyboard?

DubbySmurf
08-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Wow, that Metropolis case is very cool! It says it's compatible with the Apple Smart Keyboard. Not sure how it works with that case. Do you have the smart keyboard?

Yup I do. The case has a removable front cover that works with or without the Smart Keyboard. There is a cutout along the side of the iPad with the smart connector.

Jeff A
08-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Yup I do. The case has a removable front cover that works with or without the Smart Keyboard. There is a cutout along the side of the iPad with the smart connector.

Awesome! Does it also work with the smart keyboard when the iPad Pro is elevated? Would be cool to raise the screen a bit sometimes.

Badger
08-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Badger! Nice to hear from you :) The organization of the MB looks amazing! Plus it holds more than the DLBC. Would a Snake Charmer easily fit with an iPad Pro in a cache?

Yes, I think that depending on what else you have, the Snake Charmer could go in either horizontally or vertically. Unfortunately, it is too large to fit in one of the stretchy mesh pockets (unless it was seriously under-packed, but maybe not even then).

Jeff A
08-11-2017, 11:23 AM
I love the look of the black Halcyon/island combo. How does 400d Halcyon compare to 1050 ballistic? Assuming 1050 ballistic is more rigid/structured? I have a 2 Co-Pilot's and a Western Flyer in ballistic.

DubbySmurf
08-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Jeff, I have the MB in Black Halcyon/Island as well as the classic sized Snake Charmer. With my iPad in case and keyboard, Snake Charmer, and a water bottle, the MB can be a perfect fit.

The Halcyon is definitely more flexible and unstructured than the ballistic. My SO has the MB in Aubergine/Island and it is more defined all around. On the other hand, the piping of the MB lends itself to helping it keep its structure. As someone who is not usually a fan of halcyon as the outer fabric of my bags, I love the MB in halcyon because of the piping. It's the perfect combo in my opinion.

Jeff A
08-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Jeff, I have the MB in Black Halcyon/Island as well as the classic sized Snake Charmer. With my iPad in case and keyboard, Snake Charmer, and a water bottle, the MB can be a perfect fit.

The Halcyon is definitely more flexible and unstructured than the ballistic. My SO has the MB in Aubergine/Island and it is more defined all around. On the other hand, the piping of the MB lends itself to helping it keep its structure. As someone who is not usually a fan of halcyon as the outer fabric of my bags, I love the MB in halcyon because of the piping. It's the perfect combo in my opinion.

Thanks for the info! What's the largest size water bottle that the MB can hold in your opinion?

DubbySmurf
08-11-2017, 12:44 PM
That usually depends on what else I have in it and if I use the water bottle mesh pockets on the ends. I typically carry a 32oz Hydroflask that fits in the mesh but can be a tight fit if I have my iPad as well. My hydroflask is pretty wide though, and I would say anything thinner would be perfect.

Jeff A
08-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Do most people upgrade to the Absolute Strap on the Maker's Bag? Is the default strap the same as the default Co-Pilot strap?

DubbySmurf
08-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Do most people upgrade to the Absolute Strap on the Maker's Bag? Is the default strap the same as the default Co-Pilot strap?

I had the absolute on mine for a bit but ended up giving that to my SO. I didn't feel the need for it like i do on an A45.

Jeff A
08-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Wow, 8 to 12 weeks for the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip to come back in stock, that's a long time. Hopefully ordering the Maker's Bag soon.

Jeff A
08-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Can only one 3D organizer fit in the main compartment pockets? Would a Side Effect fit?

jess
08-14-2017, 07:09 PM

I bought the SOS Mini strap (basically a mini absolute strap) for my MB and I love it! I think it's the perfect strap if you tend to carry a heavy bag but don't want as bulky of a strap as the absolute. Now that I think about it I should probably order another since I've been swapping this between my MB and PU.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001TST8U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Jeff A
08-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Black Halcyon/Island Maker's Bag and Northwest Sky Pen/Tool Wrap ordered!!! Thank you everyone for your help :)