PDA

View Full Version : Day trip family stuff in LSB, PU, OR DLBP?

Cristina
08-09-2017, 11:58 AM
I am on holiday right now and I do not have a great day bag. I mean, I have several great bags! I just don't have The Bag for the random stuff I am carrying for a day trip whilst on holiday with kids.

Here is what I am carrying as long as the weather is good:

2 Q-Kits (one for toddler reins, one for sunglasses)
Nalgene OTF 12 ounce water bottle
3 sunscreen sprays
1 medium YSS with an extra set of clothes, sun hats, and sun scarf
UV 3DOC with diaper stuff
Pocket picnic blanket
2 small OPs (one first aid, one snacks)
Side Effect with phone, wallet, camera, lip balm

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/40c5785254216f6ce9311b8a06c31575.jpg

And here is the same stuff without the stuff sack:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/e4e00ab826eecf90493cd60eb0651207.jpg

And here it all is in my beloved Fjord Large Shop Bag:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/1a9bb9f19aa802a3a0aa014b0741959c.jpg

I love my shop bags and I use them every day, but is this the best I can do? Sometimes I just need to have my hands free to put on toddler shoes and I don't want to set my bag down on the ground like I did today (no stroller to hang it on). (I am hoping for a convertible halcyon tote/backpack someday.)

Would all of this fit in a Daylight Backpack? I am assuming it would be too much for a Parental Unit, but I would be delighted if someone said I was wrong. Those are the two bags currently sitting in my wish list.

Oh, and I often have the Side Effect as a waist pack so that can be optional for inside the larger bag.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kelly S
08-09-2017, 01:07 PM
You can put the straps of the LSB over your shoulders and wear it backpack style. It's how I schlep groceries up the stairs to our 3rd floor apartment.

RDR3
08-09-2017, 02:11 PM
I have the same concerns when out with the kids and have found the PCSB or SK and DLBP to be the most efficient combo. The PCSB/SK goes over the stroller handles and the 20% full PCBP goes in the bottom basket of the stroller. When we have to park the stroller and carry boy3, everything is thrown in the PCBP. The advantage is the PCBP packs flat and very convenient to bring on outings. Carrying the PU and a wriggling toddler is not easy on the back :)

I am on holiday right now and I do not have a great day bag. I mean, I have several great bags! I just don't have The Bag for the random stuff I am carrying for a day trip whilst on holiday with kids.

Here is what I am carrying as long as the weather is good:

2 Q-Kits (one for toddler reins, one for sunglasses)
Nalgene OTF 12 ounce water bottle
3 sunscreen sprays
1 medium YSS with an extra set of clothes, sun hats, and sun scarf
UV 3DOC with diaper stuff
Pocket picnic blanket
2 small OPs (one first aid, one snacks)
Side Effect with phone, wallet, camera, lip balm

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/40c5785254216f6ce9311b8a06c31575.jpg

And here is the same stuff without the stuff sack:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/e4e00ab826eecf90493cd60eb0651207.jpg

And here it all is in my beloved Fjord Large Shop Bag:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/1a9bb9f19aa802a3a0aa014b0741959c.jpg

I love my shop bags and I use them every day, but is this the best I can do? Sometimes I just need to have my hands free to put on toddler shoes and I don't want to set my bag down on the ground like I did today (no stroller to hang it on). (I am hoping for a convertible halcyon tote/backpack someday.)

Would all of this fit in a Daylight Backpack? I am assuming it would be too much for a Parental Unit, but I would be delighted if someone said I was wrong. Those are the two bags currently sitting in my wish list.

Oh, and I often have the Side Effect as a waist pack so that can be optional for inside the larger bag.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cristina
08-09-2017, 02:50 PM
You can put the straps of the LSB over your shoulders and wear it backpack style. It's how I schlep groceries up the stairs to our 3rd floor apartment.

Thank you. Have you ever had anything fall out of the bag, carrying it this way?

I have the same concerns when out with the kids and have found the PCSB or SK and DLBP to be the most efficient combo. The PCSB/SK goes over the stroller handles and the 20% full PCBP goes in the bottom basket of the stroller. When we have to park the stroller and carry boy3, everything is thrown in the PCBP. The advantage is the PCBP packs flat and very convenient to bring on outings. Carrying the PU and a wriggling toddler is not easy on the back :)

Thank you.

Which PCBP do you have? Do you prefer the PCBP over the DLBP?

I thought about starting a "Which ultralight backpack?" thread asking about people's preferences for DLBP and A30 vs A45 vs TS PCBPs, but then Darcy confirmed that the DLBP would be made in 525 later this year, and I am keen to try that.

Kelly S
08-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Thank you. Have you ever had anything fall out of the bag, carrying it this way?

I haven't had anything fall out, it would be a lot easier for someone to pick pocket something out of it that way though.
You kind of also have to figure out which of the side pockets you'd prefer to have up against your back and put it on the right way round so you've not got something sharp against your back.

I wouldn't carry it that way all day, but for a quick trip up the stairs or when you really need to be hands free, it's a quick easy trick using a bag you already have. :D

habanero
08-09-2017, 05:09 PM
I can say pretty confidently that the contents of my test pack of usual diaper bag stuff that filled a ballistic old-style PU also fit into a halcyon DLBP with additional room to spare. (Pity actually as I really wanted to make the PU work - my first and only Aubergine! Alas I missed the return period so it is sitting on a shelf until a trade comes along. ) For a backpack form factor, imho you can't go wrong with the DLBP.

Fulton
08-09-2017, 05:41 PM
+1 on the DLBP. it has been my kid bag for 2+ years now. I wrote a post about the DLBP as a diaper bag. It will hold smaller bags with snacks, change of clothes, toys and diapers with extra space for a water bottle and more. I love the hands free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haraya
08-09-2017, 09:16 PM
For this stage, I think I'd already graduated to a messenger-style bag (Skip Hop; this was before I'd discovered TB :)). So that would be the equivalent of the Parental Unit. But if I were to do it over - I think for a lateral, hands-free move from the LSB, I might think about either the DLBP, or the A45 PCBP (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/backpacks/products/packing-cube-backpack?variant=16455290183).

Both of those have compartments that allow the contents to be separated efficiently. I like the shingle pockets in the DLBP - they function as organizer pouch equivalents for me (I just transfer stuff directly from, say my Swift's side pockets into the shingle pockets). The bottom pocket of the A45-PCBP looks like the bottom pocket of the S19 - I like that it can be a place to put things I need less often (first-aid kit, sunblock, extra clothes) and also that it makes the main compartment shallower, not as easy to lose things at the bottom of a black hole.

They're also both slightly shorter overall than the Tri-Star/WF (18") version of the PCBP - 17.3" (DLBP) and 17.5 (A45-PCBP). Which helps with finding things. I find that I tend to lose things in the bottom of my TS/WF PCBP, unless I use something like the Freudian Slip. (But then I am short, with short arms, and nearsighted, so maybe it's only a problem for me? :D)

(Am curious - why the three kinds of sunblock? For different people?)

RDR3
08-10-2017, 04:44 AM
@Cristina,
I am currently using the halycon DLBP. We did have the A45 PCBP that I used as a travel bag when the kids were younger and the PCSB fits in there as well :) I do prefer the DLBP over the PCBP now that we are able to trim down our diaper paraphanalia :)

Thank you.

Which PCBP do you have? Do you prefer the PCBP over the DLBP?

I thought about starting a "Which ultralight backpack?" thread asking about people's preferences for DLBP and A30 vs A45 vs TS PCBPs, but then Darcy confirmed that the DLBP would be made in 525 later this year, and I am keen to try that.

readmore
08-10-2017, 12:56 PM
I have all the bags you mention, and DLBP has been the kid bag of choice for the last few years (kids are 4 and 6). We have two DLBPs in Halcyon, and I'll be happy to add (not replace!) when they come out in Ballistic. DLBP + SK has been the winning combo for me. (used to be SCB before I got the SK)

Cristina
08-10-2017, 01:05 PM
@Cristina,
I am currently using the halycon DLBP. We did have the A45 PCBP that I used as a travel bag when the kids were younger and the PCSB fits in there as well :) I do prefer the DLBP over the PCBP now that we are able to trim down our diaper paraphanalia :)

Thanks. It seems like these PCBPs are a lot bigger than I think they are, no matter how many times I look at the measurements! All the diaper stuff fits in a 3DOC and will eventually disappear so I think I might hold out for a DLBP in 525.

For this stage, I think I'd already graduated to a messenger-style bag (Skip Hop; this was before I'd discovered TB :)). So that would be the equivalent of the Parental Unit. But if I were to do it over - I think for a lateral, hands-free move from the LSB, I might think about either the DLBP, or the A45 PCBP (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/backpacks/products/packing-cube-backpack?variant=16455290183).

Both of those have compartments that allow the contents to be separated efficiently. I like the shingle pockets in the DLBP - they function as organizer pouch equivalents for me (I just transfer stuff directly from, say my Swift's side pockets into the shingle pockets). The bottom pocket of the A45-PCBP looks like the bottom pocket of the S19 - I like that it can be a place to put things I need less often (first-aid kit, sunblock, extra clothes) and also that it makes the main compartment shallower, not as easy to lose things at the bottom of a black hole.

They're also both slightly shorter overall than the Tri-Star/WF (18") version of the PCBP - 17.3" (DLBP) and 17.5 (A45-PCBP). Which helps with finding things. I find that I tend to lose things in the bottom of my TS/WF PCBP, unless I use something like the Freudian Slip. (But then I am short, with short arms, and nearsighted, so maybe it's only a problem for me? :D)

(Am curious - why the three kinds of sunblock? For different people?)

Thanks very much for sharing how different the TS vs A45 PCBPs are to use. I am not nearsighted and I have never thought my arms were too short (except for when I am wild-raspberry picking along this one path and there are always lovely ones 2-3 feet through the wide-gapped fence just out of reach of my arm!) but, I don't like the main pocket of any tall bag because everything just falls to the bottom.

I know I just said above that I am holding out for a 525 DLBP but I am very tempted by the UV A45 PCBP that is in stock just now. I love the bottom pocket for exactly the reasons you describe.

There are actually two more sun screens in the Side Effect. Here they all are:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170810/89e145f44f339a006282e8259fcafefc.jpg
The two on the left are EDC in case we end up outside or in the sun unexpectedly (a roll-on for the kids and a face/neck one for me, imported from Japan because that's the only place I have found a sun screen that doesn't leave white, oily, or chalky residue on my face). The bigger ones are all for planned trips: I use the small white one for my neck/chest, the large white one is for the kids arms and legs, and the big blue one is for my arms and legs. The small white spray sometimes comes out without the other two big ones if I am trying to pack light.

I have all the bags you mention, and DLBP has been the kid bag of choice for the last few years (kids are 4 and 6). We have two DLBPs in Halcyon, and I'll be happy to add (not replace!) when they come out in Ballistic. DLBP + SK has been the winning combo for me. (used to be SCB before I got the SK)

Thank you. Do you put the SK inside the main pocket or does it fit in the front pocket of the DLBP? I switch to the SE sometimes but I prefer the SK for every day.

readmore
08-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Thank you. Do you put the SK inside the main pocket or does it fit in the front pocket of the DLBP? I switch to the SE sometimes but I prefer the SK for every day.

I wear it cross body separate from the DLBP. I like instant access to wallet, keys, phone, etc.