PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Voyage size Padded Organizer Pouch?

Waldschatten
08-13-2017, 08:46 AM
The measurements show that the "small" padded pouch is the correct size for a Kindle Voyage (with the Origami cover) but, after returning a Snake Charmer for the larger size due to it not quite fitting (the slightly rounded shape made it just a tiny bit too small) what I intended to put in it, I wanted to ask here if anyone has used one of them for that model Kindle before ordering the pouch.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

bermudajes
08-13-2017, 09:35 AM
@Waldschatten, I have the Kindle Paperwhite (which is a few cm larger in all directions than the Voyage) and a small (not padded, but the same size) organizer pouch. There's no way I could fit my Kindle in that pouch, even if I shaved a few cm off. The zipper opening is only about 5.5" wide and, much like you experienced with the Snake Charmer, the bottom corners are rounded.

Waldschatten
08-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Thanks, the zipper and corners were what I was concerned about, and the Medium is a bit too large in comparison to the device.

Looks like I'll just be trusting the Origami cover to protect it lose in the bag.

moriond
08-13-2017, 09:53 AM
@Waldschatten,

You would need to use a Medium padded organizer pouch to fit your Kindle Voyage. The dimensions of the Small Padded pouch are the exterior dimensions, including 5mm of piping that runs around the outside of the pouch on all four sides. In addition, the Kindle Voyage (even without the Origami case) is not infinitely thin, and you'd have to insert it into the pouch and clear the zipper head.

An alternative solution would be to use a cache for the iPad Mini (which would have a flap instead of a zipper). See my recent reply to @Traveltech's One cache / two tablets thread for pictures of Kindle Voyage and iPad Mini in a Medium Padded Pouch

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/12669-one-cache-two-tablets.html

Other posts with pictures and discussion are :
What is the best thing to carry a Kindle Fire HD 7"?
https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/7410-what-best-thing-carry-kindle-fire-hd-7-a.html

and Kindle Voyage:
https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/8417-kindle-voyage.html

HTH

moriond

Pokilani
08-14-2017, 08:22 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many folks use a padded pouch for their Kindles? My first Kindle was the 3rd Gen Keyboard and I first carried it in a padded pouch, but after I go the Medium DOP, I just started slipping it in there with folded sheets of paper (backup of itinerary, hotel info, etc) in the back zipper and a few other things in the front zipper. Same when I got my Kindle Oasis. On a daily basis, I just keep the Oasis in an interior pocket of my bag. It's just not something I worry about too much. Too risky?

tebnewyork
08-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many folks use a padded pouch for their Kindles? My first Kindle was the 3rd Gen Keyboard and I first carried it in a padded pouch, but after I go the Medium DOP, I just started slipping it in there with folded sheets of paper (backup of itinerary, hotel info, etc) in the back zipper and a few other things in the front zipper. Same when I got my Kindle Oasis. On a daily basis, I just keep the Oasis in an interior pocket of my bag. It's just not something I worry about too much. Too risky?

Over the weekend I was tempted to say the same sort of thing. I think a padded case is overkill. I never really worried to much about my kindle and generally would just have it in the bag without a case. It was generally in the pocket of my bag. For the Voyage that I now use, I have the Amazon cover. Cover is expensive but it does make a stand which has sometimes come in handy. Put it this way. I read a lot on my iPad less on the Kindle these days. My Kindle is important poolside or when reading in the pool LOL. If I think back to why I got the case I think it was the Voyage having a glass screen.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Protective-Cover-Kindle-Voyage/dp/B00I14F19M/ref=sr_1_5?s=fiona-hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1502734250&sr=1-5&keywords=kindle+voyage+cover&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A9429982011

Waldschatten
08-14-2017, 11:23 AM
I had a Kindle Keyboard that lasted for something like a decade. The Voyage seems a bit more fragile though. I might just be in the new gadget paranoia phase, but it doesn't seem like it can take the abuse I put the old one through.

jess
08-14-2017, 12:16 PM
When I first got my K3 (Kindle Keyboard) I carried it in a sturdy leather case or in a padded pouch because I was afraid to break it. Now as I've moved from the KTouch to the Paperwhite, to the Voyage and the Oasis, I've gotten less worried about damage to the point that I just use the Amazon book-style cases and slip them into the interior pocket my Side Kick or another bag pocket if I don't have my SK around. I can say that while I'm not abusive to my electronics, I don't treat my Kindles particularly gently and they all look almost new. I've also help run an online Kindle book group for the last 5 years and I've never actually heard any stories of physical damage to the b&w Kindles (only tablets) that weren't along the lines of "I ran my Kindle over with my car" or "My kid accidentally dropped it in the toilet." The Fire Tablets are a bit fragile but the e-reader are workhorses.

I hope you find the perfect case for your Voyage...it's my favorite Kindle of them all :)

Waldschatten
08-14-2017, 12:30 PM
I hope you find the perfect case for your Voyage...it's my favorite Kindle of them all :)

It would be mine if they'd bring back the speaker.

I hate how none of the new ones do TTS, or let you listen to Audible content on the device, and with them trying so hard to sell "Audible Narration" every time I buy a book it seems like that would be something they'd bring back.

I never used that, aside from gifted Audible books I listened to, but there was another benefit to having a speaker in there.

I actually kept a few music files on my Kindle, meditation and Tai Chi stuff, so I could have access to it whenever. You're not doing that with the new ones though.

Perseffect
08-17-2017, 08:55 AM
It would be mine if they'd bring back the speaker.

I hate how none of the new ones do TTS, or let you listen to Audible content on the device, and with them trying so hard to sell "Audible Narration" every time I buy a book it seems like that would be something they'd bring back.

I never used that, aside from gifted Audible books I listened to, but there was another benefit to having a speaker in there.

I actually kept a few music files on my Kindle, meditation and Tai Chi stuff, so I could have access to it whenever. You're not doing that with the new ones though.

This baffles me too. I'm a huge audible fan and often buy a kindle ebook and 'linked' audiobook. I hate therefore having to listen on an iPhone and read on a e-ink kindle. Why they can't have the great reading experience of e-ink and basic audio capability together is weird. I don't even need speakers built in, an audio jack for headphones would be fine.

Such a frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk