PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a TSA lock for the A45, please.

BWeaves
08-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Can you recommend a TSA lock for the A45, please?

Yes, I know locks only keep out honest people. But if it's the difference between a thief spending 5 minutes to hack open a lock vs. the 1 second it takes to unzip an unlocked bag to rummage around, the thief will take the opportunity with the unlocked bag.

I don't plan on checking my new A45, but in the event I have to, I'd like a good lock and my google searches leave me completely confused as to which locks are crap and which are good. I'm open to any style of TSA lock.

If you use zip ties, what do you take with you to cut them off at the end of your flight? I've been places where they didn't have any scissors available, so I need to be able to cut them off myself.

Thanks!

NWhikergal
08-27-2017, 09:14 AM
Have you considered a combo type lock like this, so at least you don't have to worry about keys or cutting off zip ties?

https://www.amazon.com/Approved-Travel-Combination-Luggage-Suitcases/dp/B01M04EJIV/ref=zg_bs_2477390011_1/142-3017103-9959661?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=DGB6G3KAT66S2RKNKTPF

ceepee
08-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Nail clippers can be used to take off zip ties. You can also use a tiny flat edge (SIM card removal tool or tiny screwdriver for example) to prise the racheting(?) part of the zip tie open. If you do that without mangling the plastic too much, you can reuse the zip tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xsboost
08-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Ditto on the nail clippers.

BWeaves
08-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Do they allow you take nail clippers now? I've had a couple nail clippers confiscated, so I quit taking those.

BWeaves
08-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Have you considered a combo type lock like this, so at least you don't have to worry about keys or cutting off zip ties?

https://www.amazon.com/Approved-Travel-Combination-Luggage-Suitcases/dp/B01M04EJIV/ref=zg_bs_2477390011_1/142-3017103-9959661?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=DGB6G3KAT66S2RKNKTPF

Yes, I've been looking at all brands of combo locks, and particularly looking at the negative reviews. That's why I'm asking for a particular brand recommendation.

AVService
08-27-2017, 09:48 AM
Yes, I've been looking at all brands of combo locks, and particularly looking at the negative reviews. That's why I'm asking for a particular brand recommendation.

Those little cable locks are the ones that I have used for years.
They are all crappy and cheap as cheap can be and I imagine they are all exactly identical too regardless what you might read.

They are terrible but better than nothing in the end.

I don't exactly trust the TSA who opens these either but we have ZERO options if taking things with us that have value to anyone else.

I try to ship things ahead and after trips but this is not always practical but I have had no issues shipping cases with real locks if I can make the logistics work.

Also it hardly takes 5 minutes to get into every fabric bag ever made.

RichardMcG
08-27-2017, 09:59 AM

These are the exact locks I use on all of my bags. They will at least slow down a thief. AND you set your own combination, so it is easy to remember.

BWeaves
08-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Also it hardly takes 5 minutes to get into every fabric bag ever made.

I know. But if a thief has the option of 5 minutes vs. 1 second, they'll go with the 1 second and pass by the 5 minute bag.

I appreciate everyone's recommendations!!!

Has anyone tried the ball point pen method of breaking into a zipper on a Tom Bihn bag?

I'm curious how the TB zippers compare with other bags.

I know my husband was skeptical of the hard sided spinners I bought before I discovered TB bags. "It looks like the zippers are the weak points." Yes, well, the zippers are the weak points on all bags.

AVService
08-27-2017, 10:32 AM
I would think the fabric is the weak point,a simple slice through and a talented bad guy could rifle through the bag while in line somewhere and we woldn't know it even happened until things started spilling out.
I have friends who have had this happen and it is a fear I have now too.

Is the Ball Point Pen method just prying the zipper links with the point?

AlaskaGirl
08-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Greetings,
After having multiple nail clippers confiscated, I asked for clarification. It seems the slide out nail file was the reason. I switched to nail clippers that don't have the nail file thing, which I never used anyway, and it's been fine.

If your nail clippers get confiscated or lost, the hotel front desk can usually lend you a pair of scissors. I find this to be inconvenient, but I do prefer zip ties over the TSA compliant locks. elisa

Edited to add: I keep a dedicated nail clipper just to cut zip ties, because sometimes the cutting edge gets a ding and that is annoying to cut fingernails with.

Duggy'sMom
08-27-2017, 10:18 PM

I have to say that I've had bad luck with this brand in this style. Maybe it's just that I got a bad one, but it's very difficult to line up the numbers properly to get it to open. I actually have to act like a safe cracker, hold the lock up to my ear and listen for the click instead of visually lining up the numbers. Not so easy to do when it's on a big heavy piece of luggage.

Additionally it's very heavy for a lock.

In the end I swapped it out for one that was lighter.

YMMV