PDA

View Full Version : Smart Alec for 3-4 Days Trip

Nick_
09-22-2017, 10:00 AM
Hi all!

New to the forums and a very happy recent owner of a Daylight Briefcase (black halcyon)!

It seems inevitable that after your first Bihn bag purchase, you lurk on the website to look at the other bags. Lol

So, was considering getting a Smart Alec (halcyon again) for business travel but since i live in SE Asia, i can only rely on my guesstimations if the stuff I plan to bring will fit. Im hoping you all can chime in if these items will go in the SA:

14" windows laptop
Laptop brick
Ipad Air (this is optional)
Powerbank
Usb charging hub
Toiletries (toothbrush, hair wax, facial wash, toothpaste)
+
In a packing cube:
4shirts
1 pair of pants (maybe 2?)
1 pair of shorts
Undies
socks

Will all this be a tight fit, or will there still be space inside the SA?

It was a toss up between this and a Brain Bag. However, im just 5'6 so im not sure if the Brain Bag will be too big for my frame and, the bag is too big so packing it too full will make it too heavy.

I expect that i will just be carrying this around airports, and have access to a car once i get to my destination.

Any and all inputs greatly appreciated [emoji4]

moriond
09-22-2017, 02:09 PM
Hi Nick_,

Welcome to the forums. I think the Smart Alec should work for your outlined load. You might take a look at the Smart Alec (https://forums.tombihn.com/accessories-organization-strategies/11505-smart-alec.html) thread under the Accessories + Organization Strategies (https://forums.tombihn.com/accessories-organization-strategies/) forum as one way to get started with some helpful links to posts and threads with pictures and descriptions of sample pack-ups.

For packing cubes you have a number of options, depending on how you want to configure the space in your Smart Alec (e.g., smaller cubes may allow you to fill the interior more completely, especially when packing around other items like toiletries or laptop accessories; larger cubes may be more convenient if most of your clothes can go into a few packing cubes).

I wasn't sure from reading your earlier posts whether you had a Daylight Briefcase, a Daylight Backpack, or both, but many forum members make their accessory selections according to what items work best with the other bags that they have. (I mention that, because @Ilkyway also has a Smart Alec setup where she puts a Daylight Backpack inside the Smart Alec, and uses some of the Cafe Bag Freudian Slips in the tiered pockets to organize this in the How to carry two backpacks - Smart Alec and Daylight Backpack (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/10664-how-carry-two-backpacks-smart-alec-daylight-backpack.html) thread, but I think you probably are thinking of just laptop essentials and clothing for business travel.

If you want to use a packing folder for clothing (concerns about keeping shirts wrinkle-free), that's also possible Hopefully, some other forum members will jump in here with specific suggestions.

Another question is whether you want easy access to some items without having to open the main compartment of the Smart Alec (using the Upper Modular Pocket). The Smart Alec modular pockets are now only offered in Black Ballistic Nylon, but some people have matched Side Effects or Side Kicks (which also come in Halcyon) to the top of the Smart Alec with the aid of a pair of Gatekeeper clips ordered from Parts. See the Halcyon Smart Alec + Ballistic Upper Module Pocket (UMP) (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/12125-halcyon-smart-alec-ballistic-upper-module-pocket-ump.html) for pictures and links about how this works.

HTH

moriond

Nick_
09-23-2017, 01:44 AM
Hi @moriond

Thank you for pointing me to the Smart Alec section. I will surely go thru the tips given there.

I already edited my original post -what i have is a DLBC. My original travel combo is a roller case (-checked in *gasp*) plus the DLBC which contains my laptop,earphones, powerbanks, etc.

What i have in mind is to consolidate all these into one bag for shorter trips (3-4 days).
I will only need immediate access to my laptop. My clothes and other items can all be unpacked at my destination.