PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Camera + Regular EDC in an S19

carrot
10-25-2017, 09:34 AM
The S19 is just about my favorite bag on the planet, and my old compact mirrorless camera fit perfectly in one of the side pockets (!!!) with a pancake prime, which was great.

However, I recently upgraded to a new "more professional" mirrorless with a pro lens and it does not fit in the side pocket anymore. I've been carrying it around in my backpack in a small camera case along with my usual gym clothes and such, but it makes it lumpy in the backpack. (It's an OM-D, and I love it so I want to bring it everywhere!)

I think I need a closable, lightweight foam camera insert that spans the entire width of the bag, plus or minus a couple inches. I'll carry at most one or two other lenses but mostly I want easy access to the camera while still able to carry a change of clothes and a light jacket.

I read about Ape and Tenba and Crumpler and Mountainsmith but since I don't have them around to test-fit I'm not sure what way to go.

TL;DR: I updated my camera setup and now I'm looking for a S19-wide camera insert to have easy, but protective access to the camera and maybe a lens or two.

AmyMo
10-25-2017, 10:41 AM
I have a Sony mirrorless and I got the Tenba case. I don’t have the S19 but I have the S21. I carry my camera most often in a medium
cafe bag though. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/8d2d652619b8234fae877163cd104dba.jpg

The Tenba case doesn't fill the bottom of the S21. I usually carry my Side Effect in there with it, or a medium travel stuff sack with my jacket.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/d947c03f16029e3adcaa29e3d1a6e71c.jpg

Side orientation for comparison as well:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/7d009d8560e425c1e7cf02995eff1867.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meglet
10-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Seconding the Tenba recommendation. I have a Tenba BYOB 7 and a BYOB 9, both fit my m4/3 camera which is on the larger side of average. They both fit nicely in an S19, with room for EDC or even a small-ish travel tripod. I usually just tuck them into the main section of the bag, but I am contemplating using gatekeeper clips and hanging it from the attachment loops at the top back where a Cache would normally go. Still debating if this would put too much weight/stress on those loops, though.

G42
10-25-2017, 04:35 PM
Have you considered a small lunch/cooler bag..? I know it sounds weird, but I have several different sizes of neoprene and plastic/foam type lunch bags and they make great cushioned electronics bags - especially when placed inside a larger bag like the Synapses...
Obviously depends on the electronics and the bag cushioning, but I've done this for years

Just a thought...that way you could keep your extra $$$ for more TB
:)

carrot
10-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Thanks all for your input so far. The Tenba BYOB looked really nice online but I was afraid it would add too much bulk to be good for a small bag like the S19.

@meglet, does the BYOB fill an entire horizontal section in the S19, or is it just going to be a big cube in my main compartment? I'm trying to find something bag-wide so I don't have a horrible lump.

Meglet
10-26-2017, 09:04 AM
@carrot, my BYOB 9 seems to have gone walkabout (actually I'm pretty sure it's packed deep in another bag right now) but here is the smaller BYOB 7 in an S19. The 9 will take the full width front-to-back of the bag, and be about 2 more inches left to right.

With the 7 as shown, you could fit a water bottle or tripod next to it. With the 9, you could slide a slim bag like the 3D Organizer Cube or a Side Effect.

carrot
10-27-2017, 07:14 AM
Thanks, this is a tough call to make for sizing. I have a LowePro zippered pouch right now and I really hate how it has the tendency to roll inside the bag causing awkward lumps. I initially thought I needed a cube sized about the width of my bag but now I'm thinking a small cube will solve my problem without taking up too much space inside.

Meglet
10-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Thanks, this is a tough call to make for sizing. I have a LowePro zippered pouch right now and I really hate how it has the tendency to roll inside the bag causing awkward lumps. I initially thought I needed a cube sized about the width of my bag but now I'm thinking a small cube will solve my problem without taking up too much space inside.

I've not had a problem with either size of Tenba rolling in any bag I've used it in. Depending on how high or low in the bag you pack it, you could also use a couple of 8-inch keystraps to tether it (the Tenba has loops on the sides which would work with a gatekeeper clip) to the o-rings or loops at the top of the backpack to keep it upright. That should be enough tension to steady it without putting on the extra load I mentioned worrying about in my earlier post when actually hanging the insert.

SIM
10-27-2017, 12:37 PM
I've not had a problem with either size of Tenba rolling in any bag I've used it in. Depending on how high or low in the bag you pack it, you could also use a couple of 8-inch keystraps to tether it (the Tenba has loops on the sides which would work with a gatekeeper clip) to the o-rings or loops at the top of the backpack to keep it upright. That should be enough tension to steady it without putting on the extra load I mentioned worrying about in my earlier post when actually hanging the insert.

I have this same problem. I think I have the #9 in the bottom and it ups jabbing me in the back. I love the organization of my two S25ís, but they need more structure to be a consistent EDC bag for me. They need a frame sheet of some sort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GrussGott
10-28-2017, 03:39 PM
FWIW, I've tried every sort of camera bag and the thing that works best for me is Tenba wraps (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E1ALY8/) for the camera body and separate ones for the lenses. Lately I've taken to wrapping my DSLR with the 24-105mm lens attached and then I use a large Ape Case lens case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GA6CH0/) which can hold 2 lens if one is a "nifty 50" or similar. I also use a small snake charmer for all the doo-dads.

This works great for me because I can keep the main camera super handy in a carry-on or EDC and separately pack the lenses and doodads - I can get my camera out of my backpack without even taking it off! It's simple to just grab the camera, shove the wrap in a pocket, take the pics, then re-wrap and put in the bag.

I'm more of an on-the-go shooter and I don't do neck straps so this type of easy-access, low friction solution is perfect. Makes packing the camera gear in carry-ons super easy too.

carrot
11-03-2017, 08:38 AM
I received the Tenba BYOB 7 in the mail today, and as Meglet mentioned earlier in the thread, it fits great! My OM-D E-M10 fits very nicely and one or two small lenses should fit great next to it. The quality and design of this little cube is very good and I think it will be perfect for daily carry of the camera as well as light travel.

However I've now discovered an additional preference. If I am taking my camera hiking or backpacking, I tend to end up in either wet, muddy areas or fairly dry, dusty areas, both of which do not seem really compatible with the felt fabric on the inside of the Tenba. My previous camera pouch, which was barely sufficient in size, had a slick nylon lining, and so did not get dirty easily. One place I visited last was so windy and sandy/dusty that I am still finding little particles of sand from that trip months later in my daily S19. If I ever got sand/dirt in the Tenba BYOB, I don't think I could clean it out sufficiently.

So now I'm on a search for a pouch for dirty outdoors stuff that can hold my mirrorless and some accessories while also being very outdoors-friendly. Water resistance is not necessary because I put all my camera stuff in a dry bag if things are getting nasty out.

Kerrpe
11-22-2017, 06:59 PM
I just want to point out that the Pop Tote is looking like a really really good candidate for an insert and my OM-D E-M1 and two lenses. I have a dedicated camera backpack, but it's often overkill.
The S19 is my edc, but it's just not accessible enough for a camera bag.
I'll be going on my second safari next year - really dusty - where you are basically sitting in a Range Rover all day, so an open top quick-grab bag is ideal. Looks like it could be cleaned / turned inside out / hosed out pretty easily.

steeps
11-24-2017, 07:21 PM
How does everyone get their cameras out and back in while wearing your Synapse? I use an Ape case but it’s tough to get it out and then back in while wearing the pack.

AVService
11-25-2017, 05:23 AM
The S19 is just about my favorite bag on the planet, and my old compact mirrorless camera fit perfectly in one of the side pockets (!!!) with a pancake prime, which was great.

However, I recently upgraded to a new "more professional" mirrorless with a pro lens and it does not fit in the side pocket anymore. I've been carrying it around in my backpack in a small camera case along with my usual gym clothes and such, but it makes it lumpy in the backpack. (It's an OM-D, and I love it so I want to bring it everywhere!)

I think I need a closable, lightweight foam camera insert that spans the entire width of the bag, plus or minus a couple inches. I'll carry at most one or two other lenses but mostly I want easy access to the camera while still able to carry a change of clothes and a light jacket.

I read about Ape and Tenba and Crumpler and Mountainsmith but since I don't have them around to test-fit I'm not sure what way to go.

TL;DR: I updated my camera setup and now I'm looking for a S19-wide camera insert to have easy, but protective access to the camera and maybe a lens or two.

If you live in NYC as it says in your profile why not go into BH Photo and just test fit everything there?
I sure would!

carrot
11-27-2017, 09:18 AM
If you live in NYC as it says in your profile why not go into BH Photo and just test fit everything there?
I sure would!

It's true, I could, but I'd be out a whole paycheck. I try to avoid visiting BH as much as possible!

As it stands I'm already entertaining the thoughts of a fixed lens camera and a new portrait lens for my OM-D.

AVService
11-27-2017, 11:52 AM
It's true, I could, but I'd be out a whole paycheck. I try to avoid visiting BH as much as possible!

As it stands I'm already entertaining the thoughts of a fixed lens camera and a new portrait lens for my OM-D.

I can sure relate to your challenge but at least you wold not need to speculate about what fits either.

G42
11-27-2017, 08:08 PM
Leave your wallet at home when you visit BH just to check sizes....

Kerrpe
11-28-2017, 07:10 AM
I just bought two new lenses for mine. Didn't even get to look at the bags. The struggle is real (real fun!).

oldmanlaurence
12-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Stupid question, but why not remove the lens? And if in shooting mode use Peak Design Capture attached outside with lens attached?

Traveltech
12-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Seconding the Tenba recommendation. I have a Tenba BYOB 7 and a BYOB 9, both fit my m4/3 camera which is on the larger side of average. They both fit nicely in an S19, with room for EDC or even a small-ish travel tripod. I usually just tuck them into the main section of the bag, but I am contemplating using gatekeeper clips and hanging it from the attachment loops at the top back where a Cache would normally go. Still debating if this would put too much weight/stress on those loops, though.

Meglet, any update on using the gatekeeper clips?

Meglet
12-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Meglet, any update on using the gatekeeper clips?

No, unfortunately this is a contemplation which has been going on for a rather long time. I’m fairly certain the rail loops wouldn’t support the weight of a camera, since they’re designed to have a laptop resting its weight on the base of the bag. Plus now I’m using the loops for the inner frame so that reduces my options.

Perseffect
12-07-2017, 02:08 AM
This is a topical thread for me. I'm hoping to go ahead and purchase a Panasonic GX80/85 12-32mm (possibly with a second larger lens) to replace my aging Canon 30D. Liking the idea of the 4/3 platform as a great compromise on quality and size/weight.

Hoping that a Co-Pilot I've ordered and arriving on Monday will be the perject carry for it, probably with a small padded insert. I'll check out the brands mentioned above.

NWhikergal
12-07-2017, 07:16 AM
While I generally use Op Tech lens pouches when I am involved in active pursuits, I am strongly considering purchasing a Peak Design Field Pouch to organize some of my add ons for my mirrorless setup. If I am going miminalist, I could likely fit my camera and a smaller extra lens plus accessories.

carrot
12-07-2017, 09:31 AM
This is a topical thread for me. I'm hoping to go ahead and purchase a Panasonic GX80/85 12-32mm (possibly with a second larger lens) to replace my aging Canon 30D. Liking the idea of the 4/3 platform as a great compromise on quality and size/weight.

Hoping that a Co-Pilot I've ordered and arriving on Monday will be the perject carry for it, probably with a small padded insert. I'll check out the brands mentioned above.

I haven't tried too many combinations but my old camera, the E-PL5, with a pancake lens fit great with room to spare in the side pocket of the Co-Pilot. I haven't tried my new OM-D E-M10 in it yet.

The Olympus 40-150 was practically swimming in the Co-Pilot's water bottle pocket, with plenty of space for another prime lens.

Here is a comparison of the GX85 to the E-PL5 (http://camerasize.com/compact/#673.397,382.5,ha,t). Based just on that image, I think it will fit well too.