PDA

View Full Version : Pen Wrap or Ballistic pouch?

Smilez
11-15-2017, 06:03 AM
Hi all! I'm big into notebooks, planners, and pens! I always carry my planner with me, along with a fountain pen, a 10-pack of Staedtler fineliners, and a few Faber-Castell artist pens. I could probably cut down on the amount of pens I carry, especially by buying a nice multipen (any reccomendations are welcome!), but my question comes down to - should I purchase a pen roll or a ballistic pen/pencil pouch? Any experience with either, or both, and which do you prefer? Thanks!!

Cristina
11-15-2017, 06:40 AM
Could you post a pic with the pens and fineliners you're likely to carry? I'll try to recreate it with stuff from my collection and see how it all fits into various TB pouches.

Also, what bag(s) do you normally carry this all in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveltech
11-15-2017, 07:01 AM
I use a size 3 knitting tools pouch when I carry my pens, etc. not as organized but easy to fit into any bag.

moriond
11-15-2017, 07:59 AM
What model fountain pen do you use, and how many pens or other writing/drawing implements do you want to carry? Also, do you want to continue carrying the 10-pack of Staedtler fine liners that way as a pack? The tool/pen wrap can handle most of the items you mentioned, but most Fountain pen models tend to be thicker than the slots in that wrap. For example, I've mostly been using a Pelikan M205 Amethyst fountain pen recently, which has a small diameter barrel suited to small hands. That fits, but a Lamy Safari is too wide for the tool/pen wrap pockets.

As @Traveltech mentioned, you can also use a size 2 or size 3 Knitting Tool Pouch in place of a clear organizer or ballistic pen.pencil pouch. If you're considering a Ballistic Nylon pen/pencil pouch, the Knitting Tool Pouches are good (and possibly preferable) alternatives, because they're made of ballistic nylon, but have clear fronts, with ends reinforced by ballistic nylon, while the Ballistic Nylon Organizer pouches in the pen/pencil size are all fabric, so you can't see the contents through a clear window. The Size 3 Knitting Tool Pouvh is pen/pencil length. The size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch is shorter, but can hold your pencils (easier to fit into my Side Effect or Side Kick).

If you want to hold a lot of pens/pencils, consider getting the Nock Brasstown (https://nockco.com/cases/brasstown), which is a pen roll in a zippered case. You can fit a number of other pens inside the case, and between the pen slots of that pen roll, and the slots are wide for Fountain pens. I have a picture of this case in one of my posts on the Daylight Briefcase in Black Halcyon (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/11226-new-black-dark-grid-halcyon-daylight-briefcase.html) that I will add the link for.

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/15833d1466034366-new-black-dark-grid-halcyon-daylight-briefcase-img_3035-jpg

That is the Nock Brasstown with the unrolled portion lying on top of an iPad 4 (original size) in a cache. Because the roll is attached top a zippered pouch, you can put a lot of pens into it, including between slots of the pen roll section.

ETA:
For really good picture comparisons of the tool/pen roll with the ballistic pen/pencil organizer pouch, and with different size pens, see the pictures in @Badger's The Pen/Tool Wrap: some pens that fit (and some that don't) (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/10461-pen-tool-wrap-some-pens-fit-some-dont.html) thread.

moriond

Cristina
11-15-2017, 08:02 AM
I don't have the pen/tool wrap but I put 15 mixed pens in a small OP, a Q-kit, and a 3DOC to see what happened.

My shortest pens barely fit in a small Q-kit so I wouldn't even try that, unfortunately. Uni-Ball Signos fit in the small OP but Gelly Rolls and a Schneider Slider Edge didn't. Everything fit with room to spare in a 3DOC but you could probably fit 50 pens in that so it might be overkill! I would like to try the knitting pouch as @traveltech suggested.

For multi-pens, I would try a multi version of a pen you like. I have a Uni Jetstream 4+1 pen/pencil. It's very handy. If you like Bic, Tom himself is a fan of their 4 color pen and it is sold together with the TB sketch book under accessories.

HTH

backpack
11-15-2017, 10:35 AM
The 3D OC fits most pens, non fragile pens can be carried in a Clear Pen/Pencil Pouch, the Knitting Tool Pouch size 2 fits medium size pens, the size 3 longer ones.

To carry large sets of markers, pencils, gel pens... It may look like too much of a bag, but a Side Effect is really perfect.

The Travel Cubelet is the newest, smaller, portrait size, and perfect little purse/holder for pens.

I suspect the Cubelet can fit sets of mini pens/pencils as well as crayons (basically everything crayon size).

Previous posters in this thread have a lot of good information and links.

StormyHeather
12-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Hi all! I'm big into notebooks, planners, and pens! I always carry my planner with me, along with a fountain pen, a 10-pack of Staedtler fineliners, and a few Faber-Castell artist pens. I could probably cut down on the amount of pens I carry, especially by buying a nice multipen (any reccomendations are welcome!), but my question comes down to - should I purchase a pen roll or a ballistic pen/pencil pouch? Any experience with either, or both, and which do you prefer? Thanks!!This thread is exactly what I was looking for! I'm just getting into Bullet Journaling and had these same questions...thanks! :-)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk