PDA

View Full Version : Pouch for Passport and Cards

Slaynie
12-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Hello! I have an international trip coming up, and I'm trying to determine which pouch would be the best for storing a passport, a few cards, and some cash. Ideally it would fit into a Travel Cubelet, either in the main compartment or the divider in the main compartment.

It looks like a small pouch would fit a passport, but is there enough room for a few cards, ID, and some cash? The double zipper pouches only seem to come with a clear front, which makes me a bit nervous to use to hold cards and cash. The size 4 knitting tool pouch also could work, but looks unavailable at the moment.

My primary goals are to hold all my stuff discreetly and be able to clip it into one of my bags or stick it in my pocket, so any suggestions are welcome!

Amy G
12-07-2017, 02:55 PM
I have a Passport Pouch and it fits my passport, credit cards and there is room to spare. I suspect it would fit into the TC but someone else can probably confirm that.

Kelly S
12-07-2017, 03:11 PM
I like the clear front for my "money pouches" because it makes it easier to see the coins I need to grab.
That being said, I only keep a days worth of money in there. If it worst comes to worst and it gets stolen, I've only lost a small amount.

I keep the rest of my money in a money belt (around my waist, under my clothes) my passport goes there too, inside a small ziplock baggie to prevent it from getting soggy.

G42
12-07-2017, 05:25 PM
I employ a 'divide & conquer' strategy...

I use a freezer grade ziplock quart bag (thicker plastic) for my passport and some cash and put it into the zip leg pocket of my travel pants.
More cash and a slimmed down wallet go into my back zip pockets.

Photocopies of my passport and travel itin/contacts plus more cash and a backup card go into a gallon sized freezer ziplock and go into my bag... when I traveled to Ecuador for two weeks, that ziplock lived in the back of my A30. When you zip open the section for the backpack straps and poke around in there, you can see that there is another zipper (harder to see) that let's you remove the semirigid stay... I slide the ziplock into that section.
Not going to save you if someone steals your bag, but it's hard to find/get to from casual riffling...

On that trip I also carried an S19.... it also received photocopies and some cash. Since I have Global Entry, I also brought my passport card.

Back home, I left a copy of my itinerary, passport photocopy, and card/bank info with a family member.

The only thing I didn't do this trip (that I've done in the past) is also bring a couple decent passport photos, loose, to expedite a passport replacement if my original were lost or stolen.

I like the ziplocks because they are cheap, replaceable, highly water resistant, take minimal space, and don't draw a lot of attention, YMMV.

grellowgal
12-07-2017, 06:24 PM
A small pouch would be perfect for what you are looking for. I used it to carry our 3 passports this summer, and then when our Airbnb didnít have a safe, I hid/clipped it in the curtains. [emoji4]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171208/12137e2ef54fb999eec1f1a474f7bda1.jpg

I feel the same way about the clear pouches, not a fan. Hereís my small Halcyon OP. The mini ballistic OP is my wallet with license, cards and cash. The mini OP, three passports and three passport cards all fit into it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171208/ebad9e2b0d12aca21300c283d1195202.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171208/fe2ecded53d2ed8ebd27c9fe95112a22.jpg

EDIT - Oh! And it fits perfectly into my TC. Wow. I just recently got my TC and hadnít tried this out yet. Iím now dying that we have no upcoming trips planned at this time! (Moving this coming summer so must save time/moneyÖ)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171208/efbc36dd50be737d7ef0e8e231d8c9bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRD
12-08-2017, 04:08 AM
I have both the tb passport pouch and the small halycon pouch and I far prefer the halcyon pouch. I used the pouch several times this year to hold my passport, cash and cards while traveling and never felt unsafe. It looks basic and doesnít attract attention. Love that.

BWeaves
12-08-2017, 05:29 AM
I sort of wish that TB made a regular pouch that is RFID protected, like the Passport pouch, but just a regular organizer pouch. On the plus side, just putting a piece of aluminum foil inside the pouch and putting your stuff inside the aluminum will make it RFID protected.

Kaadk
12-08-2017, 05:32 AM
For my passport I use this passport sleeve from Dash (https://dashwallets.com/collections/best-sellers/products/travel-passport-wallet). Bellroy also has a similar design (https://bellroy.com/products/passport-sleeve-wallet/lo/black#image-0), with a few more features, but I had to search for it so I'm not sure if it's still offered.

It's not a zipped closed pouch, but I tend to not to travel to locations where that would be a concern. Zipped up in my bag while in transit, locked in the hotel safe when not, has been good enough for where I've traveled. When out and about, I prefer to use a phone case that holds a few extra cards (like this spigen one I had for my I6 (https://www.amazon.ca/Spigen-iPhone-Waller-Design-Holder/dp/B00JH88JDQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1512739460&sr=8-14&keywords=spigen%2Biphone%2B6&th=1)) to hold a driver's license, credit card, and if necessary, a folded bill or two (rare). I don't bother carrying anything else unless I'm at home. My wallet with my various loyalty cards would be locked up in the safe like the passport.

Kerrpe
12-08-2017, 11:11 AM
I use the small halcyon pouch, too, for passport etc.
But I also take my EDC minis for credit cards, US cash, and foreign cash. Clipped on the same strap the three pouches are very small, but I can get to what I want in a hurry! Plus they are safe and snug inside my SE which is inside my tote bag (Pop Tote now!), and while airport-ing the passport is clipped in the outer Pop Tote pocket on a long tether for quick access.

bouncing
12-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Hello! I have an international trip coming up, and I'm trying to determine which pouch would be the best for storing a passport, a few cards, and some cash. Ideally it would fit into a Travel Cubelet, either in the main compartment or the divider in the main compartment.

I don't know where you are going, but I'm going to recommend you not go around any place where there might be pickpockets or thieves with your passport and all your credit cards in a body bag.

Ask yourself this: What would happen if I lost this bag? If it means you have no phone, no ID, no credit cards, and no debit/ATM cards, that's going to put you in a hell of a bind. It'll be hard to even have a friend wire money to you!

Might I recommend this, instead: Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

Travel with at least two cards that can be used at ATMs and/or as credit cards. Keep them separate places. For example, you could put one in your pocket wallet and one in your bag. Or keep one in a hotel room. Consider, once you arrive at your destination, putting your passport, ATM card, and large bills in a hidden pocket (https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Undercover-Hidden-Pocket/dp/B0054IH9IE). Treat that as the vault. Don't use your hidden pocket / money belt for everyday purchases. Pay for coffee and dinner out of your regular wallet, dipping into the money belt or hidden pocket only when necessary.

Having said that...

I would keep one credit card and a few bills in something like an organizer pouch (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/accessories/products/halcyon-organizer-pouch?variant=16620972551). If you're the type of person to do this, get the long key leash and tether it to a D ring inside your day bag. That way you won't leave it out and about.

But definitely have a backup in case your day bag gets lost or stolen. No matter how careful you think you are, that stuff happens all the time and you want it to only be a minor emergency.

pammy
12-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Here is a comparison photo of a passport with a small organizer pouch, a passport pouch, and a small double organizer pouch. As you can see, lying flat the USD bill just fits in the small pouch, but in a passport pouch, it would have to be folded. I used gift cards to approximate a credit card. Any of the three pouches will accommodate your need to carry a passport, cards, and cash. Personally I think the small organizer pouches are more stealthy than ripping open the Velcro tabs on the passport pouch.

In the second photo, you can see that the number 4 knitting pouch is too small to accommodate the passport.

When I travel to a country that likes a lot of coins, then I like to use a small double organizer pouch with a clear front so I can see the coins and not have to take all of them out. Then cash and credit cards go in the back pocket. I carry my passport separately. Hope you find a solution that works well for you.

Slaynie
12-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all of the responses, this has been very helpful! It looks like I'll aim for one of the small pouches (probably in halcyon) and go from there. I'm going to Belgium (Ghent mostly), Dublin, and hopefully Paris in February so my current thought is to keep some things in an interior coat pocket, and some in my day bag, with backups at the Airbnb, on a flash drive, and with someone back home.

I like the concept of using something 'normal' so that I don't call attention to being a tourist. My current fold up passport wallet, when opened to get anything, makes everything visible and I really do not want to use it. Using a pouch and tethering it to something more sturdy is something that really appeals to me. I just wish they made a double zipper pouch with a fabric front instead of clear.