PDA

View Full Version : Help with organizing an S25

aungrl
12-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Iíve exhausted myself trying to figure out whether the S19 or S25 would work best for me. The answer is harder than it should be, because Iím small (5í1Ē), but I also need more space than the S19 offers, since I very much prefer underpacking a bag. Example: I found the SA to be too small for me as a one-bag solution when carrying both electronics (iPad Pro with keyboard, small laptop), clothes for 2 days (business), and toiletries/miscellaneous (I use an A45 clear quarter packing cube for this purpose, and find it works great. With TSA pre-clearance, no need to stick to a strick 1-quart bag). Happily, I recently gifted the SA to my like-a-daughter, who loves it and finds it perfect for her needs. But I digress.

Given all of this, Iíve decided on the S25 - someone please stop me if you think itís a ridiculous choice given my size! - and the only thing thatís prevented me from ordering it is waiting for the Black halcyon/island halcyon combination to come out of production and into inventory. (Any day now, hopefully!)

In the meantime, can I ask for your collective wisdom to help me figure out what organizational accessories will help me get the most out of this particular backpack? For example, does anyone use a stuff sack in the water bottle pocket instead of a water bottle? What size works best, and what do you put it in? What types of cubes, if any, do you use in the main compartment, and/or in the elastic-topped pocket? What about the bottom pocket on the front? Etc.....ALL input much appreciated. Thanks in advance, and happy holidays to all.

Cristina
12-16-2017, 12:34 PM
If the SA was too small, would you consider a Brain Bag? The S25 isn't bigger than a SA, it's just a different style (more external pockets, smaller main compartment).

Oh, I remember being at this stage of overwhelming accessorizing. Sympathies!

General thoughts on S25 pockets:
-Bottom pocket is great for a packable down jacket, a Side Effect or not too full Side Kick, or a Snake Charmer.
-I sometimes put a 32oz/1L Nalgene in the water bottle pocket, but sometimes I put 2 12ounce ones instead. A Nalgene 12oz OTF bottle will also fit in the Side pockets. (My autocorrect always capitalizes Side solely because of this forum)
-The Side pockets are great for a small Q-Kit (the bigger one)
-I find that I prefer non-clear OPs for quick access items in the small front pocket because they slide in and out better
-Invest in an internal frame sheet and a padded hip belt to be able to carry heavier loads and prevent it from egging out

You could also post a list or pic of what you'd expect to pack in one, for more specific advice

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stopping
12-16-2017, 01:04 PM
3D Organizer Cubes work well in the S25 side pockets; just make sure the cubes aren't overstuffed or else they'll start pushing into the main compartment a little bit. You can still utilize the organizational pockets (pen/knife slots) while the 3DOC's are in there they nestle nicely towards the center of the bag.

You can also fit 2 3DOC's in the center water bottle pocket (sliding them in one at a time). There's a baseball-sized amount of room remaining in the pocket, so you can put an easy-access item on top of the cubes as well.

I just tried to fit a size-3 stuff sack in the center pocket, but it's a little big. I suspect a size-2 would be just about perfect.

aungrl
12-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Thanks, very helpful! I should have said - in regard to the SA - that the one big center pocket, without all the external organizational choices - was what didn’t work so well for me. The S25 seems to be similar in size, but with those great external pockets. Now that I”m thinking about it, I had no trouble whatsoever carrying the SA, even when fully loaded. I think the S25 is maybe an inch longer, so should be okay.

I just took a look at the Tri-Star (again), as the horizontal vs. vertical orientation (when not in backpack mode) also has a lot of appeal to me. Plus, it’s available in original halcyon/iberian, which is a favorite - and hard to find - combo. Any thoughts on TriStar vs. S25, if I really do need to limit to one bag for a combination of electronics/purse stuff/1-2 days’ clothes? (I have an Aeronaut45 that I couldn’t live without, but that’s for different use cases entirely.)

aungrl
12-16-2017, 06:26 PM
Thanks, Cristina, I was replying to your post along with the post from stopping. My forum skills are still evolving!

stopping
12-16-2017, 10:16 PM
I just took a look at the Tri-Star (again), as the horizontal vs. vertical orientation (when not in backpack mode) also has a lot of appeal to me. Plus, it’s available in original halcyon/iberian, which is a favorite - and hard to find - combo. Any thoughts on TriStar vs. S25, if I really do need to limit to one bag for a combination of electronics/purse stuff/1-2 days’ clothes? (I have an Aeronaut45 that I couldn’t live without, but that’s for different use cases entirely.)

No experience with the Tri-Star, but I will say the S25 works perfectly for me for carrying everything I need for an overnight stay or two while keeping important items readily accessible. My setup:

* Main Pocket: Eagle Creek Clean/Dirty packing cube with two changes of clothes (minus pants, I'm usually good re-using jeans for several days). The cube sits at the bottom of the pocket in the small of my back, making a nice soft cushion. On top of the cube I put a Side Kick with various purse-able items, like a battery pack, a book, pen/pencil, and other charging cables/adapters (this works well as a day bag that I can just pull out right away). I keep a Cache in the loose pocket, which holds my laptop.

* Side pockets: One 3DOC with non-liquid toiletries (medicine, travel toothbrush, etc), and another clear 3DOC with liquid toiletries, plus a shower sponge. In the organizer slots I keep a flash light, pocket knife, and digital pen for my laptop.

* Center pocket: A 1-liter Nalgene water bottle, or Blender bottle with protein powder.

* Bottom pocket: Large Snake Charmer with charging cables for my laptop; I use the other pocket in the Snake Charmer for miscellaneous items, or clothing (sleepwear perhaps?). There's still room in the bottom pocket for a folded pair of jeans or rolled up sweater. Usually I keep my Nalgene water bottle in here if I've got the Blender bottle in the center pocket.

With all of the above, there backpack sits very nicely and doesn't bulge at all. However, there are still plenty of nooks and crannies for packing extra items, if desired. So far I'm very happy with it!