PDA

View Full Version : Synapse 25 - packing cubes and accessories

Ricard
01-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Hello!

My first thread on the forum.
I plan to buy a Synapse 25. I live in Europe (Sweden) and because of toll and taxes I have to ad a good 52% on the prices you pay AFTER shipment. (+52% on bag + stuff + shipment) Therefore it is very important for me, to get it right the first time. I can't return it or order something else next week.

This is my need. Can you tell me witch TB packing cubes and other smal organization trays/bags I can put in the S25?

The side pockets? I need an alternativ where I fill them to the maximum. I also need an alternativ where I have two or more smaller cubes. The same goes for the bottom but I think that a large snake handler will do the job just perfect?

The main compartment - what cubes can I combine?

I am very thankful for every input you may give! I have actually never laid my hands on a TB bag. I blame Chase Reeves bag reviews on YouTube.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards

Ricard
Sweden

Killeri
01-29-2018, 12:16 PM
3D Organizer Cubes fit nicely to the side pockets. I use a small Pilot packing cube in the bottom compartment, which fits with room to spare, so I guess the large SC is a better choice (I don't have one).

Cristina
01-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Hello!

A small Q-Kit fits nicely in the Side pockets but it doesn't fill it completely. A size 2 Travel Stuff sack is a similar size and shape to a 3DOC and, like the 3DOC, it just fits in the Side pocket and fills it completely. I actually think the TSS is a better shape for the side pocket but of course it only has a drawstring not a zipper.

A Large snake charmer can get enormous but I just tried it and mine does fit into the bottom pocket.

Note: a Halcyon S25 will be more accommodating and you can cram a bit more into it.

On here it is fairly common for people to post a picture or a list of everything they'll want to carry in a bag. If you can do that, it might make for better recommendations.

Make sure to get an internal frame sheet. Sign up for the email notification for when it is back in stock so you don't miss it. I am pretty sure everyone who has ever bought an S25 is trying to get one.

Good luck!

Cristina
01-29-2018, 01:11 PM
An A45 packing cube (a PCBP inverted in packing cube configuration actually) fits in my S25 with a Large Snake charmer in the bottom pocket. I have a 5-6" empty space on top on the packing cube but I could fit a packable jacket or a toiletry bag there. Or a small snake charmer.

Also if you use google to search the forums I find it works better than the internal search function.

Try Googling:
What packing cubes fit in a S25 Synapse 25?

Or:
Does a daylight backpack DLBP fit in a Synapse 25 S25?

Most of the results will be in the forums anyway.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melminimalist
01-29-2018, 04:44 PM
Hello!

My first thread on the forum.
I plan to buy a Synapse 25. I live in Europe (Sweden) and because of toll and taxes I have to ad a good 52% on the prices you pay AFTER shipment. (+52% on bag + stuff + shipment) Therefore it is very important for me, to get it right the first time. I can't return it or order something else next week.

This is my need. Can you tell me witch TB packing cubes and other smal organization trays/bags I can put in the S25?

The side pockets? I need an alternativ where I fill them to the maximum. I also need an alternativ where I have two or more smaller cubes. The same goes for the bottom but I think that a large snake handler will do the job just perfect?

The main compartment - what cubes can I combine?

I am very thankful for every input you may give! I have actually never laid my hands on a TB bag. I blame Chase Reeves bag reviews on YouTube.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards

Ricard
SwedenIt is kind of a personal choice and depends on your packing style. That being said, I will share what I have figured out works for me through a year and a half of trial and error. First off, get the frame sheet. It is a game changer and makes a great bag the perfect bag. I use a packing cube side bag and a small travel tray inside. I do not need a Freudian slip as the outside side pockets provide more than enough organisation. I also use an eagle creek pack it sack for toiletries in the front lower pouch, I recommend the clear quarter cube or 3d organizer as a Tom Bihn equivalent. I am picky about tea, so I also use a small ballistic pouch for teas in the front lower pocket. Lastly, I do not own a computer, rather I use an iPad mini, it is stored in a medium TB pouch and goes into the pocket of the main section of the s25. I would recommend the cache for whatever size computer you own. I have the padded hip belt but I just use the standard gate keeper waist strap, perhaps if I ever take it hiking I will use the padded one. That is it for me, if I need more clothes other than what fits in the pcsb then I use a Lewis and Clark Featherlight medium expandable packing cube. Good luck and I hope this helps. Pic is from a week long pack to Florida.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180130/969babe2b05793fa6d0ad5392a631743.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ricard
02-02-2018, 12:16 PM
Hello everyone and thank you so much for valuable input to my thought about this!

Because I am a family father (3 kids) I do not go on 3 month walkabouts in foreign countries. I can be away for a weekend or 4 night tops. I travel with a Macbook Pro or an iPad Pro 12". I will choose cash fot them both (I dont travel with them both but need the ability to protect the one I bring).

Would the large PC for the A45 be a good fit, or what is the way to go if I wanna jam pack the main compartment with PC (dont forget the computer cash)?

I understand the best way to make this investment so to speak, is to go for a looooong trip to the HQ of Tom Bihn. We'll se about that ... :) But hey! Thanks for your input! I am drooling over my keyboard when I read your posts. And a special thanks to MelMinimalist for the pic. (I can

Ricard
02-03-2018, 03:18 PM
In the main large compartment I want to have an "internal frame" and a cash for iPad Pro 12" or MBP15". (never together). Beside that, I need to pack clothes. That is why I am interested in how to jam pack the main large compartment with good packing cubes (TB!). I need a smaller cub for underwear and a larger for t-shirts, a sweater and some kind of pants.
On the outside I plan to put all my other stuff (toiletries, tech).

Ricard
02-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Do you think the Large packing cube for A45 works in the main pocket?
Do you think the Endpocket packing cube for A45 works in the main pocket?

Thank you for your patient ...

Cristina
02-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Do you think the Large packing cube for A45 works in the main pocket?
Do you think the Endpocket packing cube for A45 works in the main pocket?

Thank you for your patient ...

I don't have any regular TB packing cubes but tomorrow I can have a look to see how well the A45 PCBP and the PCSB fit, if that would be of any help.

Ricard
02-07-2018, 09:52 PM
I don't have any regular TB packing cubes but tomorrow I can have a look to see how well the A45 PCBP and the PCSB fit, if that would be of any help.

It World mean the world to me! I live on the other side of a large ocean so yea, I would be very thankful!

Cristina
02-08-2018, 05:04 AM
It World mean the world to me! I live on the other side of a large ocean so yea, I would be very thankful!

I did some test packing and it wasn't exact but I think this will give you a good idea of what fits.

For these pics I filled but didn't overstuff my A45 PCBP turned inside out, which is the same size as a large A45 cube. This fit into the main compartment nicely and left room on top.

A clear 3DOC fit quite easily and might be a waste here considering you can fit one into the side pockets:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/1b8d75bade8f28b90a5947ef431d108f.jpg

A small snake charmer fit perfectly in the space:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/460659ed6556440c98b47f96155469ec.jpg

A Clear Quarter Packing Cube was too big:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/30b8b31a488a8a670be8cae31169175a.jpg

A large snake charmer, filled, fit but was a bit tight. If you were also going to put a laptop on here I wouldn't do so with the large snake charmer.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/09f04faea935f581e415664fe3d9cf02.jpg

But the large snake charmer fits in the bottom pocket (since this is a halcyon S25 it is slightly more forgiving than ballistic but a not-stuffed one should still fit in any case)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/5a0efd357b36f987a195aa4d17b3bf1d.jpg

Other things that fit in the bottom pocket are: Side Kick, Side Effect, small snake charmer, Medium Yarn Stuff Sack, and more that I don't have personal experience with.

Then I popped in a couple of PCSBs:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/2abdc72ec689faeffa21bd4847403a29.jpg

As you can see they're not stuffed (I was running out of things to test with) but they still afford a bit more top space as they are over an inch shorter than the A45 cube. With these, my CQPC fit better:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/4aadad7eaf6af7be33d67134815f782b.jpg

Now all of this depends on not over-stuffing your cubes of course because if I really stuff it full I could my make my cube over 7" deep and then it would be a struggle to fit a laptop in too, but if your cube is not over full it should all fit.

Here is my cube overstuffed:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/c06a5b550e2c6d07723dfde271a318b0.jpg

If there are any other specific accessories like stuff sacks you'd like to see let me know, or if you want pics of what fits in the side pocket.

Good luck!

Ricard
02-08-2018, 05:16 AM
I Will read this carefully, but spontaneously - Christina, are you from heaven or something? :)
Thankful! [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]❤️[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

Cristina
02-08-2018, 06:06 AM
I Will read this carefully, but spontaneously - Christina, are you from heaven or something? :)
Thankful! [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]❤️[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

You're welcome! I'm just following in the footsteps of many others on this wonderful forum. In a few months I am sure you'll be doing the same! [emoji6]

G42
02-08-2018, 07:06 AM
@Cristina, nice pics of so many options and happy colours!

Ricard
02-08-2018, 07:33 AM
You're welcome! I'm just following in the footsteps of many others on this wonderful forum. In a few months I am sure you'll be doing the same! [emoji6]
Yes! I will!

1/ Is there any chance you can share a pic with the packing cubes outside the bag as they are stuffed?

2/ So the 3DOC fits the side pocket? Do you, or some one else know witsh cubes/trays that fits the side pockets?

3/ Anyone who knows about a S35/S40 in the production pipe?

Cheers from Sweden!

Cristina
02-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Yes! I will!

1/ Is there any chance you can share a pic with the packing cubes outside the bag as they are stuffed?

2/ So the 3DOC fits the side pocket? Do you, or some one else know witsh cubes/trays that fits the side pockets?

3/ Anyone who knows about a S35/S40 in the production pipe?

Cheers from Sweden!

1. Do you mean a side-by-side of the cubes I used? Sure thing, I can do that later tonight. Do you want stuffed to the max (i.e. overstuffed)? Or just normally full?

2. In my opinion the 3DOC isn't as good a fit in the side pockets as something more cylindrical in shape like a Small Q-Kit or a Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack, because it encroaches slightly on the water bottle space, but that might not matter to you if your water bottle is slender. Also, generally speaking, the clear sides of any pouch don't slide in and out of other bags as well as the all-fabric or mesh options.

3. Not that we know of but I would also be very interested!

blueflax
02-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Hello there! Congrats on your choice of the Synapse 25, an endlessly useful and delightful bag (and I'm not a backpack lover to begin with).

I don't have a lot of packing cubes to compare, but my experience is that the A45 large packing cube, which is exactly the same width as the S25 (13.4") does fit, but if you pack the cube full it is a very tight squeeze.

I usually use a medium Tri-Star packing cube (12.8" x 11.3" x 2.4") for my clothes, and then a smaller stuff sack for small things: underthings and socks etc. The smaller stuff goes in the bottom pocket, usually, along with seasonal stuff, like bathing suits / towels / gloves / hat, an extra tote bag...I like to keep soft stuff that I might need to get access to in that bottom front pocket.

I put my toiletries inside the bag above the bigger packing cube since they usually goes in last. I use different bags for those depending on if I'm flying or not, but the snake charmers, large and small, fit very nicely in that curved top.

Sadly, I don't see the Tri-Star medium packing cube for sale on the website anymore, in either halcyon or aether. The large A30 (12" x 12" x 4.3") is a bit smaller and wider, perhaps someone else has used it and can comment on how it might work.

My main point is that if you are the kind of disciplined person who can underpack, I think you can get away with using the A45 large packing cube. If you're like me though, I'd rather break things up into smaller containers rather than one giant cube. I think in one of the S25 forum threads people talk about doing this, like using some of the more oblong cubes in multiples to have more flexibility.

Another thing, I keep my computer cache in the pocket side, not the back side, and it's hard to slide a computer (or anything) out of the main compartment if it's got a stuffed packing cube completely filling the space, which the A45 large cube tends to do.

Sorry to use inches not metric :)

Ricard
02-08-2018, 01:33 PM
1. Do you mean a side-by-side of the cubes I used? Sure thing, I can do that later tonight. Do you want stuffed to the max (i.e. overstuffed)? Or just normally full?

2. In my opinion the 3DOC isn't as good a fit in the side pockets as something more cylindrical in shape like a Small Q-Kit or a Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack, because it encroaches slightly on the water bottle space, but that might not matter to you if your water bottle is slender. Also, generally speaking, the clear sides of any pouch don't slide in and out of other bags as well as the all-fabric or mesh options.

3. Not that we know of but I would also be very interested!

1. Yes I do and if it's ok, don't make the cube look like a football but not half empty. Stuff it so it is filled but dont poke out. (was that understandable? :dog: This is not my mothertounge ...)

2. Good info about the side pockets! Thanks! :)

3. OK. If they start S30-35 I will decently choose S19 and the larger one. A good combo for all occasions, don't you think? :)

4. (a new) The reason why I ask about the A45 large packing cube is because I want to know the limits. Do you think there is any cubes that can go in two layers? When I travel I use to have a larger pc for jeans/sweeters/shirts and two medium or small for t-shirts and underwear. In the Synapse the other stuff are organized in all the pockets!

Ricard
02-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Hello there! Congrats on your choice of the Synapse 25, an endlessly useful and delightful bag (and I'm not a backpack lover to begin with).

I don't have a lot of packing cubes to compare, but my experience is that the A45 large packing cube, which is exactly the same width as the S25 (13.4") does fit, but if you pack the cube full it is a very tight squeeze.

I usually use a medium Tri-Star packing cube (12.8" x 11.3" x 2.4") for my clothes, and then a smaller stuff sack for small things: underthings and socks etc. The smaller stuff goes in the bottom pocket, usually, along with seasonal stuff, like bathing suits / towels / gloves / hat, an extra tote bag...I like to keep soft stuff that I might need to get access to in that bottom front pocket.

I put my toiletries inside the bag above the bigger packing cube since they usually goes in last. I use different bags for those depending on if I'm flying or not, but the snake charmers, large and small, fit very nicely in that curved top.

Sadly, I don't see the Tri-Star medium packing cube for sale on the website anymore, in either halcyon or aether. The large A30 (12" x 12" x 4.3") is a bit smaller and wider, perhaps someone else has used it and can comment on how it might work.

My main point is that if you are the kind of disciplined person who can underpack, I think you can get away with using the A45 large packing cube. If you're like me though, I'd rather break things up into smaller containers rather than one giant cube. I think in one of the S25 forum threads people talk about doing this, like using some of the more oblong cubes in multiples to have more flexibility.

Another thing, I keep my computer cache in the pocket side, not the back side, and it's hard to slide a computer (or anything) out of the main compartment if it's got a stuffed packing cube completely filling the space, which the A45 large cube tends to do.

Sorry to use inches not metric :)

Hi Bluefax!

Congrats on your choice of the Synapse 25, an endlessly useful and delightful bag (and I'm not a backpack lover to begin with).
Thanks!
I have not yet purchased it. The reason is "layers" of taxes and duties. (51%)
This is my shopping cart:
Handle loop
8" keystrap
16" keystrap
Cache 15" MBP
S25 (bk bal./wasabi)
S25 internal frame
Guardian light
Travel tray S
HOP S
COW (wallet)
DOP S
DOP M
SC L
TC
/563USD + shipment and Swedish taxes wich build up to 918USD. Inspite of this hefty and totally over the top expensive bag I will do this. When I whink of it, I can probably go to NY on a budget ticket, spend a weekend and get the bag and stuff delivered to a friend in NY, so I can bring it on my back when I return home, for the same money. Jet lag and a lot of New yorkers is included! :D

I don't have a lot of packing cubes to compare, but my experience is that the A45 large packing cube, which is exactly the same width as the S25 (13.4") does fit, but if you pack the cube full it is a very tight squeeze. I would rather have cubes in two layers. We'll se how this can work. Do you know any combination where you can have two layers of packing cubes in the main compartment?

I put my toiletries inside the bag above the bigger packing cube since they usually goes in last. I use different bags for those depending on if I'm flying or not, but the snake charmers, large and small, fit very nicely in that curved top. I am a speculant on the a flat dop kit that Eagel C has.

Sadly, I don't see the Tri-Star medium packing cube for sale on the website anymore, in either halcyon or aether. The large A30 (12" x 12" x 4.3") is a bit smaller and wider, perhaps someone else has used it and can comment on how it might work. Exiting!

My main point is that if you are the kind of disciplined person who can underpack, I think you can get away with using the A45 large packing cube. If you're like me though, I'd rather break things up into smaller containers rather than one giant cube. I think in one of the S25 forum threads people talk about doing this, like using some of the more oblong cubes in multiples to have more flexibility. More pockets/cubes is what I think is freedom.

Another thing, I keep my computer cache in the pocket side, not the back side, and it's hard to slide a computer (or anything) out of the main compartment if it's got a stuffed packing cube completely filling the space, which the A45 large cube tends to do. Good to know! Great help! Thank you!!!

Ricard
02-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Layers - this is what I think about:

Cristina
02-08-2018, 03:31 PM
1. Yes I do and if it's ok, don't make the cube look like a football but not half empty. Stuff it so it is filled but dont poke out. (was that understandable? :dog: This is not my mothertounge ...)

2. Good info about the side pockets! Thanks! :)

3. OK. If they start S30-35 I will decently choose S19 and the larger one. A good combo for all occasions, don't you think? :)

4. (a new) The reason why I ask about the A45 large packing cube is because I want to know the limits. Do you think there is any cubes that can go in two layers? When I travel I use to have a larger pc for jeans/sweeters/shirts and two medium or small for t-shirts and underwear. In the Synapse the other stuff are organized in all the pockets!

I will take some more pics tomorrow since I have a better idea of how you want to pack, but tonight you'll get to see the cubes side by side.

This is a full but not stuffed A45 cube, a full but not stuffed PCSB, and a totally stuffed PCSB.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/c781a868611841f4f39471e6d4b7383e.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/31721c039c154affae05408c5086cc49.jpg

This is the difference in length between the two types:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/86bd58f98a51fb0976f4a5ccaf6186af.jpg

Two Snake Charmers. The Halcyon version is more flexible and therefore won't keep its shape as well, but even still the large version can get quite wide when full:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/c192deb1267983c68d7c97566cd9fcdc.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/ef9a6038867d55235c83c7b348cf9591.jpg

More pics tomorrow.

blueflax
02-08-2018, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know enough about which cubes might suit you. You might email TB customer service and get their recommendations...especially since you are about to take a deep dive into Tom Bihn mania!

Cristina
02-09-2018, 01:22 AM

I don't know about a large PC and also two medium/small PCs fitting. I think the S25 is more of an either/or for those once you account for toiletries, charging cables, etc. Would you like to post pics or the dimensions of the cubes you already have?

Here are some pics of the PCSBs layered inside the S25. Now please note that if the bottom pocket were stuffed full, it would encroach a bit on the bottom of the big pocket and would make this a tight squeeze indeed (the folder is pretending to be a laptop).
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/5d9ef2f4e55e753849b9bd4abf56e979.jpg
I put this small cube on top since I had much more top space:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/4f010d01d3cc24127336c82220b8e732.jpg
And then I had room for a large SC:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/3d05926bb1e2e9a8c5621790e51955eb.jpg
And this is what they looked like/ the orientation they were in:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/9dbc02543c4a9fa68d3e41ba3b1069de.jpg

If you are good at not overstuffing your cubes I am sure you could make it work but if you're an overstuffer you might struggle with this bag.

Hope this helps!

melminimalist
02-09-2018, 05:55 AM
I don't know about a large PC and also two medium/small PCs fitting. I think the S25 is more of an either/or for those once you account for toiletries, charging cables, etc. Would you like to post pics or the dimensions of the cubes you already have?

Here are some pics of the PCSBs layered inside the S25. Now please note that if the bottom pocket were stuffed full, it would encroach a bit on the bottom of the big pocket and would make this a tight squeeze indeed (the folder is pretending to be a laptop).
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/5d9ef2f4e55e753849b9bd4abf56e979.jpg
I put this small cube on top since I had much more top space:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/4f010d01d3cc24127336c82220b8e732.jpg
And then I had room for a large SC:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/3d05926bb1e2e9a8c5621790e51955eb.jpg
And this is what they looked like/ the orientation they were in:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/9dbc02543c4a9fa68d3e41ba3b1069de.jpg

If you are good at not overstuffing your cubes I am sure you could make it work but if you're an overstuffer you might struggle with this bag.

Hope this helps!I am just so unbelievably jealous of all those Sitka accessories. I managed to score a Sitka pcsb last year on eBay, I came to TB after it was being phased out and didn't realize how much I loved it. I would have bought everything left!

Cristina
02-09-2018, 01:37 PM
I am just so unbelievably jealous of all those Sitka accessories. I managed to score a Sitka pcsb last year on eBay, I came to TB after it was being phased out and didn't realize how much I loved it. I would have bought everything left!

I was taken by surprise as well! I normally go for blue-green. If I decide to pass any of my Sitka items on I will keep you in mind. :-)

Ricard
02-12-2018, 02:56 PM
(OT: what is sitka?)

CHRISTINA!

You are so helpful and the pictures helps me really a lot! My basket is 1850USD right now. (TS with PC and cache /A45 with PC/S25 with PC, fram and cache) That is so over what my teacher salary can bare so now I am thinking of witch TB-bag that won't come to Sweden ... Sad day indeed.

Berst regards and thanks a lot for all input! What a community this forum is! You make this more of family and community than a customer sort of place ... Well done!

Ricard

Ricard
02-12-2018, 02:58 PM
ps. the PCSB may not be my style, but I looked into the size and found a PC that was close to perfect in match, so it helped me! ds.

Cristina
02-13-2018, 06:06 AM
(OT: what is sitka?)

CHRISTINA!

You are so helpful and the pictures helps me really a lot! My basket is 1850USD right now. (TS with PC and cache /A45 with PC/S25 with PC, fram and cache) That is so over what my teacher salary can bare so now I am thinking of witch TB-bag that won't come to Sweden ... Sad day indeed.

Berst regards and thanks a lot for all input! What a community this forum is! You make this more of family and community than a customer sort of place ... Well done!

Ricard

Happy to help! :-) Oh I know what it is like to have to take the items out of the TB cart. So hard!!

Sitka is the green color of the A45 PCBP and one of my PCSBs. The blue one is Fjord. Neither are made anymore but both colors have a lot of fans on here (myself included of course).

Good luck!

xnykid
04-02-2018, 04:17 PM
im going to bump this old thread to mention that a over stuffed large A30 cube will slide into the S25 with ease and i have shoved my 13" mac air down in there also with bit of effort. then a small snake charmer on top or shoes. there is also some room at the bottom of the S25 on both sides of the A30 cube and i really think a small A45 on bottom and a small A30 on top of that would be about perfect use of all the space and you can still add a large snake charmer on top of that easy but the large A30 slides in and out so easy no matter how hard you stuff it.

Misplaced
04-07-2018, 07:37 AM
Also bumping to add: I don't want to talk you out of TB accessories (because they are all amazing), but a Muji small packing cube fits brilliantly into the S25. I use it with an old Tristar packing cube and there is plenty of room left over. The Muji cube is deep but not long: you could probably stack two of the Muji cubes and leave loads of room for your laptop.

I say this only because I too know the brutal reality of international shipping and duty fees!

andrewlef
04-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Any suggestions about how to pack a medium DOP inside an S25? Primarily using it for travel.

Cristina
04-15-2018, 11:13 PM
Any suggestions about how to pack a medium DOP inside an S25? Primarily using it for travel.

It would almost certainly fit in the bottom pocket, but it might not make great use of the space. It could slot into the pocket inside the main pocket or hang from the o-ring.

Or it is possible that the contents might be better off in something else. Depends on what it is and how often you'll need to access it while traveling.

Can you provide any more details?

andrewlef
04-16-2018, 07:13 AM
It would almost certainly fit in the bottom pocket, but it might not make great use of the space. It could slot into the pocket inside the main pocket or hang from the o-ring.

Or it is possible that the contents might be better off in something else. Depends on what it is and how often you'll need to access it while traveling.

Can you provide any more details?

I plan to use to DOP to hold paper copies of travel itineraries*, boarding passes (which I save/collect), passport, foreign currencies, cards that don't fit in my wallet, etc. Some of those items could be moved to other places, but I can't figure out a good place to relocate boarding passes and printed itineraries.

*Of course, I'd prefer not to carry travel itineraries with me, but some airports specifically require having a printed ticket/itinerary to even enter the airport terminal building (such as MNL). Other times, I need to present onward tickets when flying to/from foreign locations on separate tickets/carriers (which I often do). So, while it can be a pain to carry the paper docs, they are necessary in many cases. I'd consider a Small DOP, but I don't think it would be big enough to hold boarding passes without folding them.

Using the S25 for one bag travel. It's currently packed as follows:

Bottom Pocket: Rain shell and ultralight down jacket.
Top Pocket: 3-1-1 bag and 4L dry sack.
Middle Pocket: Eye mask and earplugs.
Left Pocket: 3DO holding non-liquid toiletries.
Right Pocket: Hard glasses case (sun and rx glasses).
Main Compartment: iPad cache (affixed to rearmost loops), Side Effect (power bank, cables, world plug, earbuds -- affixed to frontmost loops) and small packing cube (underwear/socks).
Main Compartment Pocket: Medium packing cube (t-shirts and fleece).

Currently, I have the medium DOP attached to the iPad cache and also tethered to one of the o-rings. It's not an ideal situation, as I must remove the cache and then remove the DOP from the cache in order to access its contents.

The only other placement that could work is inside the main compartment pocket, though it's a bit hard to access due to the Side Effect anchored above it. The DOP technically fits in the bottom front pocket (as you mentioned), but I have better uses in mind for that pocket.

Here's a photo of how I currently have it setup. It's hard to tell, but it's strapped in to the iPad cache. The cache, in turn, is on the default rails:

Cristina
04-16-2018, 01:26 PM
I plan to use to DOP to hold paper copies of travel itineraries*, boarding passes (which I save/collect), passport, foreign currencies, cards that don't fit in my wallet, etc. Some of those items could be moved to other places, but I can't figure out a good place to relocate boarding passes and printed itineraries.

*Of course, I'd prefer not to carry travel itineraries with me, but some airports specifically require having a printed ticket/itinerary to even enter the airport terminal building (such as MNL). Other times, I need to present onward tickets when flying to/from foreign locations on separate tickets/carriers (which I often do). So, while it can be a pain to carry the paper docs, they are necessary in many cases. I'd consider a Small DOP, but I don't think it would be big enough to hold boarding passes without folding them.

Using the S25 for one bag travel. It's currently packed as follows:

Bottom Pocket: Rain shell and ultralight down jacket.
Top Pocket: 3-1-1 bag and 4L dry sack.
Middle Pocket: Eye mask and earplugs.
Left Pocket: 3DO holding non-liquid toiletries.
Right Pocket: Hard glasses case (sun and rx glasses).
Main Compartment: iPad cache (affixed to rearmost loops), Side Effect (power bank, cables, world plug, earbuds -- affixed to frontmost loops) and small packing cube (underwear/socks).
Main Compartment Pocket: Medium packing cube (t-shirts and fleece).

Currently, I have the medium DOP attached to the iPad cache and also tethered to one of the o-rings. It's not an ideal situation, as I must remove the cache and then remove the DOP from the cache in order to access its contents.

The only other placement that could work is inside the main compartment pocket, though it's a bit hard to access due to the Side Effect anchored above it. The DOP technically fits in the bottom front pocket (as you mentioned), but I have better uses in mind for that pocket.

Here's a photo of how I currently have it setup. It's hard to tell, but it's strapped in to the iPad cache. The cache, in turn, is on the default rails:

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Your use of the OP and cache is very clever!

Your question, though, highlights my own problem with one bag travel, namely, where to put that stuff that you have to access at least three times while you're in the airport and possibly more?

In the past I have added a Side Effect to the Padded Hip Belt of my S25 using Gatekeeper clips. If you don't already use the belt you may not want to start, so in that case I would reconfigure the outside pockets.

I would move your non-liquid toiletries to the inside of the bag, move your liquids 311 bag to the side pocket, and put your documents in the water bottle pocket with your dry bag. The Medium OP should fit in there, though since it isn't rigid it may be squished if the left and right side pockets are both full.

What do you think of that?

Ricard
04-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Wow! Great to see the thread alive! :D

andrewlef
04-16-2018, 05:38 PM
Thanks, that helps a lot.

Your use of the OP and cache is very clever!

Your question, though, highlights my own problem with one bag travel, namely, where to put that stuff that you have to access at least three times while you're in the airport and possibly more?

In the past I have added a Side Effect to the Padded Hip Belt of my S25 using Gatekeeper clips. If you don't already use the belt you may not want to start, so in that case I would reconfigure the outside pockets.

I would move your non-liquid toiletries to the inside of the bag, move your liquids 311 bag to the side pocket, and put your documents in the water bottle pocket with your dry bag. The Medium OP should fit in there, though since it isn't rigid it may be squished if the left and right side pockets are both full.

What do you think of that?

Putting the DOP into the water bottle pocket along with the 3-1-1 bag actually worked reasonably well. I had to fold over the zippers of the DOP to get it to fit, but it seems to be a decent solution. It's not perfect, but it's probably better than the alternatives. Thanks!!

Cristina
04-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Putting the DOP into the water bottle pocket along with the 3-1-1 bag actually worked reasonably well. I had to fold over the zippers of the DOP to get it to fit, but it seems to be a decent solution. It's not perfect, but it's probably better than the alternatives. Thanks!!

Great! Glad you found something that works.

xnykid
04-24-2018, 10:19 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180424/4306b160ebd3225d62cc83a4ed499ffa.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180424/42e538163d2f7614200d66b263261d7b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180424/a8659698a3600d43c3574bf0c3aeadc2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180424/8dea60c66f550bce8bddd52c4de268c8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180424/350a145038c126bc3938f7a21b4e33fe.jpg
My system for packing is A45 small cube on bottom and A30 small cube on top. I found the A30 large cube will slide in and out easy no matter how full it’s packed but there is some lost space at the bottom of the bag on each side. The large A45 will fit tight and if packed full binds and bulges a bit into your back at the narrow point between the two main zippers. The combo of the two small cubes (large on bottom and small at the zip point) fills the bag completely and carry’s well no matter how over packed they are. For the photos I over packed the cubes. That’s a small snake charmer on top, large sc fits fine also. I regularly pack the SC in the lower front pocket and pack my size 10 Nike or my merrels in winter on top.

PS i already miss the bigger zips on the old cubes. they just crank and the pulls are easier to grab. imho.

Ricard
11-02-2018, 09:02 AM
top. I found the A30 large cube will slide in and out easy no matter how full it’s packed but there is some lost space at the bottom of the bag on each side. The large A45 will fit tight and if packed full binds and bulges a bit into your back at the narrow point between the two main zippers. The combo of the two small cubes (large on bottom and small at the zip point) fills the bag completely and carry’s well no matter how over packed they are. For the photos I over packed the cubes. That’s a small snake charmer on top, large sc fits fine also. I regularly pack the SC in the lower front pocket and pack my size 10 Nike or my merrels in winter on top.

PS i already miss the bigger zips on the old cubes. they just crank and the pulls are easier to grab. imho.

I am very sory my answer is so very late. Six month! I must go to settings and see if my notification is on.

Great solution. Right now I am planning to go with one small and one large A45 laundary. When I look at the size it would fit perfect. I hope to keep passport and Money in a small DOP and my toiletery in a 3D OCC. I havent decide if to keep Tech stuff in a OCC or a SC.