PDA

View Full Version : Marsupializing

bchaplin
02-23-2018, 05:11 PM
A Small Cafe Bag (which is carrying a Travel Cubelet, a portable battery, and a Kindle), fits perfectly in one side of the Western Flyer. It would defeat the purpose to keep it in there. but I intend to tuck it in the WF before going through security at the airport.

Also for the marsupial files: The Side Kick (which has a notebook, some papers and pens, and an iPad mini), fits well in the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, along with some books, CD's and another notebook. Some of these things are gifts I needed to figure out how to pack. The PCSB itself will also fit well in one side of the Western Flyer.

Also, I unfortunately can't link to it from my phone, but @Fluff's suggestion on a different thread was genius. I used the mesh/fabric large WF packing cube. Inside, some smaller packing cubes, surrounded by rolled up clothes. Everything fit very compactly in the back of the WF, and it will lift out in one piece.

aedifica
02-24-2018, 01:06 PM
Nice! It is fun to see which bags fit in which other bags.

I have found I can put a Medium Cafe Bag in one side of the front of my Western Flyer if I squish the MCB a bit. Next month I'm going to try to do the same with a Co-Pilot to give to my sister--it seems like it would be a little too big, but I think I saw a post somewhere with someone saying it would fit.

pammy
02-24-2018, 08:43 PM
I love these marsupial posts. Such clever ideas using bags we already have and/or inspiring purchases of new bags that we can marsupialize (is that a word?). I sometimes carry my Side Effect in a PCSB, but I've never thought to use a Side Kick in one. I've always preferred the 400d halcyon PCSBs to the 200d ones for using as a purse since they are thicker and hold their shape better. But with the Side Kick to give the 200d ones more structure, I look forward to using my more colorful PCSBs. Thanks for the idea, Beth.

backpack
02-25-2018, 01:10 AM
A Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is the perfect:
Inside zippered pocket for a Swift or Large Shop Bag.
Packing Cube in an Aeronaute 45 side pocket, in the Tristar front or middle pocket, in one of the two main compartments of the Brain Bag.

Before the TB Crew came up with the Aeather Packing Cubes, Halcyon Packing Cubes Shoulder Bags/Backpacks were the only way to achieve color code packing.

moriond
02-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Before the TB Crew came up with the Aeather Packing Cubes, Halcyon Packing Cubes Shoulder Bags/Backpacks were the only way to achieve color code packing.

@backpack,

This is not quite true. There was a very brief time, around when the Tri-Star first debuted, when it was possible to order packing cubes in Solar. You can see a picture of the Small Packing Cube for the Tri-Star in Solar Halcyon (then called Dyneema) in this July 6, 2009 Gear Diary review of the Tri-Star (https://geardiary.com/2009/07/06/review-tom-bihn-tristar-travel-bag/)

If you want to see one of these IRL (="in real life", meaning a forum post rather than an external review), here's a picture of that same Solar Small Packing Cube for the TriStar:

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/questions-about-bags/2705d1347412059-windbreaker-light-rain-jacket-dyneema-pouch-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347412056-954924-jpg

It's from a 2012 post answering someone who wanted to carry a Windbreaker, and possibly some other clothing items, in his Imago, so it was one in a series of shots of different accessory combos for the Imago (in this case it was the Eagle Creek full size Specter cube, and the Solar TriStar Small Packing Cube -- I think it was misidentified in the original post as an Aeronaut end cube).

The Small Cafe Bag in the Western Flyer (and also the PCSB) was one of the Classic Combos in the Going marsupial! TB Bags that fit inside other TB bags. (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/3903-going-marsupial-tb-bags-fit-inside-other-tb-bags.html) thread. So is fitting two Eagle Creek Specter II Quarter packing cubes into the Small Cafe Bag (see pics in @Ms. Ferret's 2 weeks in Iceland/UK (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/6720-2-weeks-iceland-uk.html) thread for examples).

The Side Kick in PCSB could be a new addition to that thread.

HTH

moriond

backpack
02-25-2018, 02:32 PM
@backpack,

This is not quite true. There was a very brief time, around when the Tri-Star first debuted, when it was possible to order packing cubes in Solar. You can see a picture of the Small Packing Cube for the Tri-Star in Solar Halcyon (then called Dyneema) in this July 6, 2009 Gear Diary review of the Tri-Star (https://geardiary.com/2009/07/06/review-tom-bihn-tristar-travel-bag/)

If you want to see one of these IRL (="in real life", meaning a forum post rather than an external review), here's a picture of that same Solar Small Packing Cube for the TriStar:

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/questions-about-bags/2705d1347412059-windbreaker-light-rain-jacket-dyneema-pouch-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347412056-954924-jpg

It's from a 2012 post answering someone who wanted to carry a Windbreaker, and possibly some other clothing items, in his Imago, so it was one in a series of shots of different accessory combos for the Imago (in this case it was the Eagle Creek full size Specter cube, and the Solar TriStar Small Packing Cube -- I think it was misidentified in the original post as an Aeronaut end cube).

The Small Cafe Bag in the Western Flyer (and also the PCSB) was one of the Classic Combos in the Going marsupial! TB Bags that fit inside other TB bags. (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/3903-going-marsupial-tb-bags-fit-inside-other-tb-bags.html) thread. So is fitting two Eagle Creek Specter II Quarter packing cubes into the Small Cafe Bag (see pics in @Ms. Ferret's 2 weeks in Iceland/UK (https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/6720-2-weeks-iceland-uk.html) thread for examples).

The Side Kick in PCSB could be a new addition to that thread.

HTH

moriond

I don't remember the Solar Packing Cubes for the Tristar because, I have always used Packing Cube Shoulder Bags and Backpacks to organize Travel Bags, then by themselves, as minimalists Backpacks/Shoulder Bags.

They were/are also used as marsupial accessories inside EDC for protecting softcover brochures, books and notes against very heavy hardback textbooks (PCBP) or used as extra pocket inside the Swift/LCB (PCSB)

Thank you for being a great forum historian, Moriond!

nimikor
02-25-2018, 03:41 PM
I'm not one to sport bright colors but I would definitely use a Solar PCSB both as a shoulder bag and as a packing cube with a big smile on my face! [emoji3]

Passagare
03-01-2018, 06:19 PM
I'm planning on Marsupuializing with a MCB inside a BB for a few transatlantic flights I'll be taking this year. I'm placing my order for them both tomorrow morning and will update this thread with photos of my planned setup once it arrives.

aedifica
03-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Here's a Large Shop Bag holding a Daylight Briefcase, a Small Shop Bag, and a TB box which contains the Tom Bihn Eclipse I'm mailing to its buyer tomorrow morning. I'm surprised it all fit! Oh, and the DLBC has another SSB in it folded up.

After the stop at the post office I'll fold up the LSB and put it in the SSB that's in the picture, and carry the DLBC by its shoulder strap.

melminimalist
03-10-2018, 12:14 PM
A Small Cafe Bag (which is carrying a Travel Cubelet, a portable battery, and a Kindle), fits perfectly in one side of the Western Flyer. It would defeat the purpose to keep it in there. but I intend to tuck it in the WF before going through security at the airport.

Also for the marsupial files: The Side Kick (which has a notebook, some papers and pens, and an iPad mini), fits well in the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, along with some books, CD's and another notebook. Some of these things are gifts I needed to figure out how to pack. The PCSB itself will also fit well in one side of the Western Flyer.

Also, I unfortunately can't link to it from my phone, but @Fluff's suggestion on a different thread was genius. I used the mesh/fabric large WF packing cube. Inside, some smaller packing cubes, surrounded by rolled up clothes. Everything fit very compactly in the back of the WF, and it will lift out in one piece.Is that a Nordic pcsb? I wish they would make more if so.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Kirri
03-10-2018, 03:28 PM
.... and a TB box which contains the Tom Bihn Eclipse I'm mailing to its buyer tomorrow morning.

I love the multibag nesting but was most struck by the mention of a Tom Bihn eclipse. What is an eclipse?

aedifica
03-10-2018, 04:06 PM
I love the multibag nesting but was most struck by the mention of a Tom Bihn eclipse. What is an eclipse?

The Eclipse was a Tom Bihn minimalist briefcase in the early 2000s. I'd describe it as being like a Brain Cell with more pockets, and a shoulder strap attachment instead of Annex Clips.

Traveltech
07-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Reviving this thread to ask if the halcyon A30 can be marsupialized into another bag. Iím heading to Amsterdam in September and will take a three day side trip to Bruges. Iíd love to leave my EC spinner in Amsterdam and take only the A30 on the train to Bruges. But canít bring both onboard as carryons for the international flight...or can I? If I leave the end sections empty, would the A30 pass as a personal item on Delta?

Cristina
07-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Reviving this thread to ask if the halcyon A30 can be marsupialized into another bag. Iím heading to Amsterdam in September and will take a three day side trip to Bruges. Iíd love to leave my EC spinner in Amsterdam and take only the A30 on the train to Bruges. But canít bring both onboard as carryons for the international flight...or can I? If I leave the end sections empty, would the A30 pass as a personal item on Delta?

I don't know what your spinner is like, but can you pack in the A30 and put it inside the spinner, while full?

G42
07-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Hmmm... 30L seems like an awfully big bag for a 3day trip... do you have an S19, S25, SmartAlec or even a Pilot...?

Amy
07-26-2018, 02:58 PM

I think you could probably get away with an underpacked A30 as a personal item on Delta. I have had no trouble bringing a fully packed A30 in combo with a fully packed Smart Alec on several carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pvn
07-30-2018, 11:41 AM
A30 should fit fine under a seat, so it's a personal item. Wear it as a backpack when you board and nobody will question you.

MarkWebb
11-17-2018, 02:18 PM
My "marsupial" experience (but I call this technique "inner bag / over bag"):

My marsupial came about when I wanted to use a Cafe messenger bag at my destination, but it wasn't big enough to hold my light jacket when I disembarked or the film water bottles I filled up before boarding. (It's easier to stow the jacket while preparing to land in the bag I have at my seat, than trying to deal with my carryon lugger in the overhead bin.)

So, I stuck my Cafe inside my Daylight Backpack. When I trial-packed at home, both my Medium and Small Cafe bags were the right thickness for the trim Daylight Backpack, and left room on the sides and at the top for my water bottles and rolled-up thin shell thinly lined windjacket. This configuration didn't destroy the slim 'n' trim profile that's so appealing with the Daylight Backpack.

On the ground at my destination, I used the Cafe for my normal edc stuff (everday carry stuff) and when grocery shopping hauled the Daylight Backpack by hand (great comfortable webbing handle!) to use as my shopping bag - much more comfortable in hand that the narrow plastic grocery bag "handles".

If you look at the published thickness measurements for the Small and Medium Cafes, they are the same, while the Daylight Backpack is much thicker. In fact, eyeballing these by matching the bottom panels seam-to-seam, the Daylight Backpack isn't any wider at the bottom. Thus, to keep the profile of the Daylight Back thin, it's important to watch how fat you stuff the Cafe, and watch out for contents settling to the bottom in the Cafe. I'm sensitive to the "visual profile" of my so-called "personal" bag since I got challenged once for having a personal item that was too big (a conventional, much "fatter", daypack).

Notes:

The Daylight Backpack is spec'd at 16.5L while the Medium Cafe and Small Cafe are spec'd at 8L and 6L respectively. So there's a real gain in storage space.

I thought the Medium Cafe would be too tall, or too wide at the top for the tapering Daylight Backpack, but it's an easy fit.

I tried fitting the Medium Cafe in a top loading, tubular shaped, ultrathin 'n' light "peak" bag, and the wider, zipper panel loading on the Daylight Backpack was much easier to fit the Medium Cafe.

Unlike a tote, the Daylight Backpack is zippered for less risk of contents spill (but the upcoming zippered Bihn shopping bags might change my thinking).

The top grab handle on the Daylight Backpack makes it an on-the-ground shopping tote for light grocery shopping and even souvenir shopping. Since I'm already wearing the Cafe, handle-carry for the Daylight Backpack is the best option.

Once on the ground, I don't care HOW fat the Daylight Backpack becomes due to overpacking - so it can double as a side-trip overnighter bag.

Sure wish I had bought the Daylight Backpack in Black Halcyon instead of Cordura; the Cordura picks up lint and dirt too easily and the top soaks out in the occasional tropical downpour.