PDA

View Full Version : GP Leads Pocket and Pouchkins Leafs

nimikor
02-23-2018, 07:12 PM
I am wanting to add some extra organization to my SA and I think I've settled on using the Guide's Pack Lead Pocket since it appears to fit well on the top, front and inside the SA per this excellent thread: https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/11171-guides-pack-side-pocket-leads-pocket-smart-alec.html

Since I'm adding extra organization, I figure I'll get as much as possible out of my solution so I'm thinking of adding one or two Pouchkin Leafs into the GPLP. My question is will the First/Second Aid Pouchkins Leaf clips fit (slide) into the webbing loops that are on the inside bottom edge of the Leads Pocket? I can't find any measurements for the spacing between the webbing loops or the spacing between the Pouchkin Leaf clips. Also, will the Leads Pocket zip closed with the Pouchkins attached this way?

Can someone with both of these items try this out for me and let me know if it is a good fit and if it makes sense to add the Pouchkins to the GPLP for extra organization?

Thanks

G42
02-23-2018, 07:58 PM
Sorry, can't help on the GPLP or Pouchkins, but if you're playing around with the SA and considering putting the GPLP inside, remember that a SE can fit up top with single Gatekeepers, where the UMP would fit....
...and a Travel Cubelet fits reasonably well at the lower attachments, where the LMP fits - using gatekeepers or the swivel clips

Post pics of whatever you final config is!

nimikor
02-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Thanks, @G42 but the UMP really isn't an option since they are harder to find than water on Mars. I like the GPLP over the SE because it can work in three locations with the SA and I like the padding and the layout of the pockets. I also love Parapack. I'm hoping that someone can test the fit of the Pouchkins Leaf in the GPLP so I don't have to order and potentially return such an inexpensive item.

G42
02-24-2018, 03:24 PM
Thanks, @G42 but the UMP really isn't an option since they are harder to find than water on Mars. I like the GPLP over the SE because it can work in three locations with the SA and I like the padding and the layout of the pockets. I also love Parapack. I'm hoping that someone can test the fit of the Pouchkins Leaf in the GPLP so I don't have to order and potentially return such an inexpensive item.

Totally understand, I was just suggesting options if you wanted more organization/space in addition to using the GPLP potentially on the inside... as in, use the GPLP, an SE, and a TC if you happen to have them all
:)

moriond
02-26-2018, 11:26 AM
Since I'm adding extra organization, I figure I'll get as much as possible out of my solution so I'm thinking of adding one or two Pouchkin Leafs into the GPLP. My question is will the First/Second Aid Pouchkins Leaf clips fit (slide) into the webbing loops that are on the inside bottom edge of the Leads Pocket? I can't find any measurements for the spacing between the webbing loops or the spacing between the Pouchkin Leaf clips. Also, will the Leads Pocket zip closed with the Pouchkins attached this way?

Can someone with both of these items try this out for me and let me know if it is a good fit and if it makes sense to add the Pouchkins to the GPLP for extra organization?

Thanks

The Leads Pocket elastic webbing is 1" wide, while the black elastic webbing at the center or the First and Second Aid Pouches is 0.75". But the spacing between the two sets of webbing loops is standardized at 2.5" (measured from the centers of each of the two webbing straps). You can attach the Leaf Pouchkins from the First/Second Aid pouches provided you don't mind that they slightly pinch the slightly wider Leads Pocket elastic webbing upon closure of the plastic bayonets that clip around the elastic webbing. Once in place, I don't think that you will stress these attachment points by using the Pouchkins, since you'll only be flipping the Pouchkins up or down around the top of the securing plastic bayonet clips.

You should have no problems closing the Leads pocket unless you've managed to stuff the pockets to either side so full that you'd have difficulties closing it anyway.

I don't know where you are going to attach the Lead's Pocket inside the Smart Alec, but remember that the Annex Clip spacing on the Lead's Pocket is set for Horizontal Caches/Brain Cells and the webbing in the Smart Alec that can take Annex Clip attachments is set for Vertical Brain Cells (narrower). That means that you have to use Single Gatekeeper Clips from Parts to hook the two webbing gaps for Annex Clips together (the set on the back of the Lead's Pocket and the set on the Smart Alec), and you rely on the fact that the over all gap in the webbing loops for the Annex Clips allows the two differently spaced gaps to overlap somewhere where you can add a Single Gatekeeper Clip.

I've added a picture of a Lead's Pocket secured this way to my Smart Alec, and flipped up so you can see that the Gatekeeper Clip hooks into the inner edges of the Lead's Pocket Annex Clip webbing loops, but the outer edges of the Smart Alec's Annex Clip webbing loops. You have to buy the Single Gatekeeper Clips from Parts -- I would buy at least one extra pair in case you lose or damage one, since you can't generally buy this part elsewhere, and the TB parts supply for this won't last forever (also it is only $1 for a pair, I think).

Sorry these pictures are so poor -- I had to take them on an iPad and upload them first via TapaTalk since I'm massively running out of space on my iOS devices.

HTH, and good luck with your Smart Alec Lead's pocket hacks, which should work.

moriond

nimikor
02-26-2018, 01:28 PM
Thank you @Moriond. The pictures are great and I've now ordered the items to make this hack work. Also, thanks for showing the use of Gatekeeper Clips to attach the LP. I was using the included Annex Clips and just threading one tine through each loop in the SA but it was still bending the LP. I see the the Gatekeeper Clips are a more elegant solution.

Your insight and advice are always appreciated!

moriond
02-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Hi @nimikor,

The Single Gatekeeper clips that you can order from Parts may be found here (https://www.tombihn.com/collections/accessories/products/parts?variant=16645154119) and look like this:

I'm going to point you to @Cristina's recent 1.5 Single gatekeeper or alternatives (https://forums.tombihn.com/not-about-bags/13247-1-5-single-gatekeeper-alternatives.html) thread so you can see a movie on how to use the Single Gatekeepers, and also see some other picture of how they are used to secure webbing loops.

HTH

moriond

moriond
02-28-2018, 12:09 PM
BTW,

You probably can't tell from my Smart Alec picture, but this model doesn't have the webbing loops for the cache with rails -- it was made with the Portable Culture label just before they added the webbing loops for the caches. I have a vertical Brain Cell that I can use with that Smart Alec when I want more protection, but I thought I'd add a reference to a great video hack that @Darcy posted (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/13114-there-replacement-13-brain-cell-post154223.html#post154223) just before Christmas (so it may not have gotten the attention that it deserved, especially since it appears in a thread titled Is there a replacement for the 13" Brain Cell? (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/13114-there-replacement-13-brain-cell.html)

We experimented with various possibilities for those who want to clip a Cache in a bag that doesn't have rail loops but does have webbing for Annex Clips. And we came up with a few different solutions that we think work pretty well: one for bags that fit the Horizontal Cache and two for bags that fit the Vertical Cache (the spacing of the Cache rails differs between the horizontal and vertical versions, thus the two different solutions.)

Note: the following methods are a little difficult to describe in text, so see the very amateur video further below that we made.

How To Clip a Horizontal Cache To Annex Loop Webbing

Wiggle one of the Gatekeeper Clips on your Gatekeeper Rail Clip so that it's vertical and slide it through the open loop of webbing meant for the Annex Clip. Then, wiggle the Gatekeeper Clip back to horizontal. This solution works well and looks almost as if it was intended to work this way.

How To Clip a Vertical Cache To Annex Loop Webbing

Option #1 Basically just clipping the Gatekeeper Rail Clip on the open loop of webbing meant for Annex Clips. Though the basic functionality here works, the Gatekeeper Rail Clip will be twisted and it's not that elegant of a solution.

Option #2 If you have one of our backpacks, you probably also have a Gatekeeper Waist Strap (https://www.tombihn.com/products/gate-keeper-waist-strap). To use this hack, clip the Gatekeeper Clips of your Gatekeeper Waist Strap on the open loop of webbing meant for Annex Clips. Then, unclip the side release buckles of the Gatekeeper Waist Strap, and then reclip them over the rails of your Cache. It basically allows for a Cache with rails system -- without using Gatekeeper Rail Clips.

What we think is great about these hacks/solutions is that most people will be able to make them work without buying any additional parts or adapters.

Here's a quick iPhone video we made that demonstrates the options. (https://vimeo.com/248246479/74b91a99e9)

https://vimeo.com/248246479/

There are three different solutions, so this will cover the Smart Alec, too.

HTH

moriond