PDA

View Full Version : Organizations options for S25 for my hobbies

largosmom
02-28-2018, 06:08 PM
Hello there, I am a newbie to TB bags. I did a lot of reading here and purchased an S25 about a month ago and a few accessory organizers. I'm having trouble deciding what to get for the bottom front pocket of the S25. I also want a small bag that I can use out of the main backpack for a wallet, small interchangeable lens camera, and personal items at the distant end that I can carry as a cross body bag or smaller backpack. Eventually I want another smaller everyday bag, but am not ready for that yet.

Here is what I am thinking of - are there other options I should consider? Weight is a real consideration and I am a knitter so I need to be able to access my yarn projects in the top of the S25 and to sometimes carry a 15" laptop similar in size to a MBP in it. I am not yet ready to add a cache but that is a future consideration.

1) Side Effect or Side Kick attached at the top of the S25 frame as I've seen in some of the recent threads, are there other options I should consider? Will the SK fit up there or only an SE? Can I carry either cross body?

2) Bottom pocket - Snake Charmer for cords and cables, batteries, etc. I carry a fair number of these. It would be nice if I could tuck some lenses in there for a small Panasonic micro four thirds system too, but not sure if I can do that. Most of the time I won't have the lenses, just for personal trips where I want my camera system.

Eventually I want a cafe bag, Swift or other every day carry, or maybe one of the smaller backpacks.

Thanks for your advise.

SarahJaneMakes
02-28-2018, 07:25 PM
I’d look at stuff sacks or yarn stuff sacks for the bottom front pocket given your love of knitting. Super flexible for different types of EDC, too. Also, the yarn stuff sacks have two o-rings which could make an easy access choice while in transit at the top of your bag. I understand the Size 2 stuff sack is a good fit for the bottom pocket.

Although not a TB bag I really love my Patagonia Lightweight Courier for destination use and just-in-case volume (it’s 16L), plus it packs into its own pocket. I mod-ed a knock-off le sportsac I found at the thrift store to use at the top of my S25’s man compartment and as a back of seat pocket bag, basically a DIY Side Kick. I felt a little nuts carrying many bags-within-bag for my last trip but it was a work trip and I managed to one-bag it both ways! The S25 is a goldmine of space. I traveled with:

S25 as my main bag
Patagonia LW Courier for destination day use
REI packable duffle for just-in-case items (trade shows for work are super unpredictable for how much you bring homd!)
DIY Side Kick for in-flight bag
Eagle Creek small Wallaby Toiletry kit (though I think this is really too big for my solo travel)
SSB for daytime errands

Plus 3 shirts, 2 pants, 2 prs shoes, socks, underwear, etc

Major opportunities to streamline next time but I seriously felt SO prepared and used everything except the packable duffle.

aedifica
02-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Here is what I am thinking of - are there other options I should consider? Weight is a real consideration and I am a knitter so I need to be able to access my yarn projects in the top of the S25 and to sometimes carry a 15" laptop similar in size to a MBP in it. I am not yet ready to add a cache but that is a future consideration.

1) Side Effect or Side Kick attached at the top of the S25 frame as I've seen in some of the recent threads, are there other options I should consider? Will the SK fit up there or only an SE? Can I carry either cross body?

2) Bottom pocket - Snake Charmer for cords and cables, batteries, etc. I carry a fair number of these. It would be nice if I could tuck some lenses in there for a small Panasonic micro four thirds system too, but not sure if I can do that. Most of the time I won't have the lenses, just for personal trips where I want my camera system.

Welcome, largosmom!

You can carry the Side Effect and the Side Kick cross-body. A halcyon Side Kick also fits nicely in the bottom front pocket of the S25. (In ballistic nylon, a Side Kick can still be squeezed in there but not as easily.) And of course the Side Effect also fits in that pocket since it's smaller than the Side Kick. I haven't tried putting either in the top like you mentioned; I know it's been done with the SE but I'm less certain about the SK.

Depending on the amount of cables etc you carry, you could also consider a Small Q-Kit, which would fit in one of the side pockets of the S25, or a 3D Organizer Cube which can fit in the water bottle pocket if you aren't carrying a water bottle. I keep my travel cables in a Small Q-Kit and my work badge etc in a 3DOC. Or a Snake Charmer might indeed be the best option for you.

A Size 1 or Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack will also fit in the side pockets. (Well, for a Size 2 TSS to fit in the side pocket, its contents need to be somewhat squashy--I do that with a sweater.)

fredlet
03-02-2018, 12:25 AM
Hello there, I am a newbie to TB bags. I did a lot of reading here and purchased an S25 about a month ago and a few accessory organizers. I'm having trouble deciding what to get for the bottom front pocket of the S25. I also want a small bag that I can use out of the main backpack for a wallet, small interchangeable lens camera, and personal items at the distant end that I can carry as a cross body bag or smaller backpack. Eventually I want another smaller everyday bag, but am not ready for that yet.

I use either the stuff sacks or the knitting bag for my projects, a roll up pen case for my needles (dpn and regular)
Id recommend the sidekick, I have mine in the top of my S25, it holds an iPad mini or a moleskine notebook and you could probably put a sock project in there if you wanted..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

largosmom
03-04-2018, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the sidekick recommendation for the top, moleskine is what I use for work and the direction I was heading between the SE and SK at least for now. I may eventually get both.

largosmom
03-07-2018, 05:10 PM
So I ended up ordering a Side Kick, a Travel Stuff Sack, and because I couldn't get a yarn sack I just had to get a Swift to get one, right? I also got a Zojirushi water bottle mentioned in some other threads and some organizing pouches and some bits and pieces. I will likely end up with a MCB Freudian Slip later and maybe an SE.

Eagerly watching the new backpack thread for an EDC option later.