PDA

View Full Version : Packing Cube Retirements [emoji50]

gqb
03-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Today's announcement about new and retired Packing Cubes caught me by surprise.
Feeling very grateful to have picked up packing cubes for my NFTD when I had the chance [emoji50]
The new Island coloured Aether is gorgeous though and I can see the new double sided cubes to separate clean/dirty laundry being very popular [emoji846] might have to slip one into my next order........

It's on the blog if you haven't seen the news yet:

https://blog.tombihn.com/

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

bchaplin
03-14-2018, 12:14 PM
Wow, the new packing cubes look awesome. So glad to see the Western Flyer is getting some colors!

Perseffect
03-14-2018, 12:23 PM
And surprising that that Stowaway cubes are also retired for such a recently launched bag.

Not a good sign for the Stowaway. Can’t help but feel it might be soon for the ‘Retired Design’ label too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank II
03-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Darn. I had planned to order a small Pilot packing cube today. Oh well.

moriond
03-14-2018, 12:49 PM
And surprising that that Stowaway cubes are also retired for such a recently launched bag.

Not a good sign for the Stowaway. Can’t help but feel it might be soon for the ‘Retired Design’ label too.

I think the retirement of the Stowaway Aether Packing Cubes is more of a reflection of the fact that many of the people who order the Stowaway, don't decide to use the Packing Cubes -- that appears to be part of the reason the Aether Packing Cubes for the Yeoman Duffel are being retired, even though the Yeoman Duffel itself is fairly popular. (And, by the way, I think that the Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes are underappreciated for their general utility. Their square form factor and greater depth than most other entries to the packing cube line, plus the carrying handles let them occupy a unique place among the accessories.)

moriond

kieri
03-14-2018, 01:00 PM
I do like the all-Aether cubes, and snagged the original large A45s, another Medium Yeoman, and a Stowaway cube before they go away. I am super-intrigued by the laundry cubes, through, and I love the new Island Aether!

Kirri
03-14-2018, 01:08 PM
I'm so glad I finally ordered some recently. I love the all fabric ones.

anna2222
03-14-2018, 01:41 PM
My favorite packing cubes are the all fabric. I don't own a single one with mesh. I have tried them, but the all fabric are more aesthetically pleasing to me. Would love to see the Island packing cubes made in all fabric.

moriond
03-14-2018, 02:29 PM
My favorite packing cubes are the all fabric. I don't own a single one with mesh. I have tried them, but the all fabric are more aesthetically pleasing to me. Would love to see the Island packing cubes made in all fabric.

Some forum members prefer to use the mesh cubes. I'd just add that with the new Laundry style packing cubes, you can either have your clothes contained by all fabric or with mesh on one side, because the Aether divider can be pushed to act as a boundary for the second side when mesh is on one side of the cube, or when Aether fabric is on one side of the cube (or you can have clothes in either partition, as your clean and dirty clothes stored within the cube changes.)

While I also like using the Eagle Creek Specter II packing cubes, the advantage you have with the Aether cubes is that they'll keep their shape even when underpacked, while the Specter II cubes basically take their shape from having fully packed contents -- that's harder to maintain in the large size cubes, unless you always have these cubes packed completely full. So there's a different balance between structure and weight achieved with the Aether packing cubes.

Until now, we haven't had a laundry packing cube matched to the rectangular style. (I should add that I'm generally used to "flat packing", so the rectangular format appeals to me).

moriond

BWeaves
03-14-2018, 02:54 PM
OOOOOO, I've been wanting laundry packing cubes, but I never though TB would make them, so I stocked up on the Eagle Creek ones.

Must . . . order . . . more . . . bags. BUY ALL THE BAGS!!!!

My checkbook is doomed.

Traveltech
03-14-2018, 04:55 PM
Personally, I think TB doesn’t need any packing cubes in its lineup. The market is flooded with packing cubes.

Where TB excels is in its innovative designs whether it’s their travel bags or their accessories. Travel trays and snake charmers brought me to TB, the larger bags keep me coming back.

bchaplin
03-14-2018, 05:16 PM
I'd just add that with the new Laundry style packing cubes, you can either have your clothes contained by all fabric or with mesh on one side, because the Aether divider can be pushed to act as a boundary for the second side when mesh is on one side of the cube, or when Aether fabric is on one side of the cube (or you can have clothes in either partition, as your clean and dirty clothes stored within the cube changes.)
moriond

Thanks so much, @moriond. Just to be sure I understand: With the laundry packing cubes, you can place all your clothes on one side of the partition and use it to full capacity (fitting just as much as the non-laundry cube of equal size does)? This was a big question of mine! If that's the case, they should be very useful.

swduncan
03-14-2018, 05:41 PM
I was waiting to get some cubes, but the mesh has sent me away. As someone else noted, the market is flooded with cubes - but they're all mesh. I already have mesh cubes. I was looking forward to getting some that were solid, not mesh. The halcyon ones looked like just the ticket, but the aether ones look too thin and the colors are ugly.

One less thing to buy, I guess.

Dancingphysicist
03-14-2018, 06:16 PM
I just ordered a bunch of laundry cubes for my A45! These look perfect. For a long time I've been taking an extra empty small cube or stuff sack along to transfer dirty laundry to. I really like the look of these, and how they perfectly fit the A45. I also prefer the mesh so I can see what is inside. Sometimes I forget which color cube corresponds to which items. Can't wait for these to show up!

G42
03-14-2018, 06:51 PM
I'm not a big fan of mesh because in my experience it snags & tears on a lot of things, but this mesh looks like it might be a fairly tight weave and more durable. TB has a great rep for durability and performance, so I'm not as worried on that front.

I have a lot of Eagle Creek silnylon cubes, bought well before I ever heard of TB, and love them for how light they are... I also actually like that they are slippery, for some tight packing occasions, because they don't get caught/jammed easily. My packing is usually oriented around what clothes & stuff I want to bring, pick the cubes that best fit the stuff & usage pattern for that specific trip, and then fit the stuff to which bag makes the most sense...

With all that being said, I bought the aether carbon A30 end cubes when they came back in stock the last time because they are sized so specifically to the end pockets vs anything from EC. The aether material is an interested alternative to the silnylon but not different enough to swap out my entire EC collection. Given the TB quality and cost, I think it makes sense that they narrowed their offering down to the big hitters and ones that cube the most awkward spaces.

For those who haven't touched the aether fabric, ask Customer Service for a swatch. It is indeed very thin, but doesn't feel fragile and has a nice papery feel to it.

NWhikergal
03-15-2018, 06:21 AM
Very interesting development! The new cubes look very appealing. I prefer mesh cubes for packing clothes, so these are worth considering; may have to do a side by side comparison with my EC ones, as I believe these are much lighter. I do completely adore an all aether (no mesh) packing cube that I use for shoes though, since I don't want mesh for that. I love how the aether is shockingly light yet maintains its form so well.

Waterlogged
03-15-2018, 08:21 AM
I'd just add that with the new Laundry style packing cubes, you can either have your clothes contained by all fabric or with mesh on one side, because the Aether divider can be pushed to act as a boundary for the second side when mesh is on one side of the cube, or when Aether fabric is on one side of the cube (or you can have clothes in either partition, as your clean and dirty clothes stored within the cube changes.)
moriond
Thanks so much, @moriond. Just to be sure I understand: With the laundry packing cubes, you can place all your clothes on one side of the partition and use it to full capacity (fitting just as much as the non-laundry cube of equal size does)? This was a big question of mine! If that's the case, they should be very useful.

I'm glad you caught this, because it caused me to go take a closer look at the photos of the new laundry cubes. On the bottom row of pictures for the laundry cubes, there's one where you can clearly see how the aether material can move to take up the full space. My family has one double-sided packing cube (from IKEA, of all places) that seems to get fought over, but the middle is fixed. The new laundry cube could definitely be a good alternative...

Traveltech
03-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Question for laundry cube users- do you wash the cube when you get home? If so, how does it hold up?

moriond
03-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Hi @bchaplin and @Waterlogged

Yes, the new laundry packing cubes are designed so that when the boundary partition gets pushed over, it moves flush to the other side -- so you get the full space of the regular packing cube, similar to the way that the Travel Laundry Stuff Sack worked for a cylindrical construction. In addition, because there are two zipper positions for separately accessing "each side" of the partition, when you use the laundry packing cube for a "full-sized" single compartment with either the boundary Aether partition pushed against the Aether side or the mesh side of these rectangular Laundry Packing Cubes, the zipper is placed near the top of the cube, which is most convenient for filling and accessing the contents. (This is like the distinction between the Small Aeronaut Packing Cubes, where the zipper is placed near the top of a deeper cube, vs. the Aeronaut End Packing Cubes, where the zipper is placed in the middle, and the cube is not as deep -- the centered zipper better for packing/accessing items like shoes, but not as good if you are filling up a deep cube with clothing items. The Laundry Packing Cubes automatically place the zipper for accessing either side in the best position for packing.)

I'm glad you caught this, because it caused me to go take a closer look at the photos of the new laundry cubes. On the bottom row of pictures for the laundry cubes, there's one where you can clearly see how the aether material can move to take up the full space. My family has one double-sided packing cube (from IKEA, of all places) that seems to get fought over, but the middle is fixed. The new laundry cube could definitely be a good alternative...

HTH

moriond

kieri
03-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Question for laundry cube users- do you wash the cube when you get home? If so, how does it hold up?

Not unless I was engaging in an activity that left my clothing really dirty/sweaty/smelly. Then I just gave them a soap/water rinse.

Kirri
03-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Hi @bchaplin and @Waterlogged

Yes, the new laundry packing cubes are designed so that when the boundary partition gets pushed over, it moves flush to the other side -- so you get the full space of the regular packing cube

Wow that is so clever! I don't know why I am so surprised as it is a TB bag after all, but that is why I never 'got' the laundry sacks as I thought you had to have half clean and half dirty items to properly make use of it!

kieri
03-15-2018, 06:29 PM
Just got my A45 small laundry cube in Island and it's definitely a keeper!

Practice packed here with 3 tees, yoga pants, 3 undies, 2 socks, and a bra. That's my default "anywhere" packed clothing list, so I think I'm set! This cube will join me on a 12-day trip in April as the only cube in my A45, which should be a fun experience. :-)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180316/8bb2b72a1ec963000a67b145565678a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fulton
03-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Question: Will there be an end pocket laundry version? If not, can a small one be used “vertically” with a bunch of end pocket cubes?

The forum convinced me long ago to buy a bunch of A45 end pocket cubes, and I pack them vertically like library books with the spines facing the bag opening. I’d love to replace one or two with laundry versions. Or use a small laundry cube with my other end pocket cubes if that would work.

Thanks.

kieri
03-15-2018, 08:55 PM
The small laundry cube fits in the end pocket easily.

Cristina
03-16-2018, 03:00 AM
Question: Will there be an end pocket laundry version? If not, can a small one be used “vertically” with a bunch of end pocket cubes?

The forum convinced me long ago to buy a bunch of A45 end pocket cubes, and I pack them vertically like library books with the spines facing the bag opening. I’d love to replace one or two with laundry versions. Or use a small laundry cube with my other end pocket cubes if that would work.

Thanks.

You can check out the dimensions here to compare a small vs an end cube:
https://www.tombihn.com/collections/packing-cubes/products/packing-cube-aeronaut-45

The small is slightly differently proportioned in that it is deeper but narrower. It holds one liter more than the end pocket, but if you want to use them bookshelf style you will have a little bit of space leftover on top. What I've just said may only make sense once you see the dimensions as linked above.

NWhikergal
03-17-2018, 08:19 AM
I just picked up a small island and a large wasabi A45 laundry cube, and I think I am in love. I fold my clothes when I pack for trips, and I appreciate that I can fit two stacks of women's folded clothes in the large. And if I should decide I need to use my 20 inch rollaboard for a work trip, rather than my hands free TB bags, the large cube still fits great. I really appreciate these TB organizing cubes' ultra lightweight ability to hold their structure. These are supremely clever designs. While I have been using non-TB double sided packing cubes for many years, I think these TB laundry cubes are even better - the aether material is fantastic.

Dancingphysicist
03-20-2018, 07:00 PM
My new Aeronaut 45 packing cubes arrived! I got two small laundry cubes (island and wasabi), one small cube (carbon), and one end packing cube (carbon). This goes along with my existing violet/purple small aether packing cube.

I definitely prefer the aether + mesh design for the new standard packing cubes. They are light and really easy to see what is inside. The laundry cubes are slick–I wish I had gotten all of the cubes in the laundry version. I love that you can use them as either a part mesh cube or as a full aether cube depending on which side you pack your stuff on. It is the best of both worlds. On my last few trips I’ve been taking along an empty stuff sack to act as a kind of laundry bag. I don’t think I’ll have to do that anymore. Here are some pictures of the new cubes, and a comparison with the older Aether style.

First off, here is a picture of the wasabi and island small laundry cubes. The wasabi cube is using the aether side, while the island cube is using the mesh.

Here are 4 of the small cubes laid out side by side. The carbon cube is the new all mesh style, the violet one is the all aether older style, and the island and wasabi are the laundry cubes.

Same as above, but all the cubes are flipped over.

Same as above, but all on their sides.

Here is the all aether end pocket packing cube with a pair of mens size 12 shoes. Note that the zipper is in the middle as opposed to the top like the other cubes.

Here is the new mesh large island cube. It has mesh on both sides (I wish I'd gotten the laundry version).

Here they are loaded up in the Aeronaut. A small in one end pocket, and end pocket cube in the other end pocket, the large island cube and two small laundry cubes in the main pocket. I have approximately 1/4 of the clothes I own packed up in these cubes! They hold so much.

Finally, for those who are curious here is a color comparison of an island travel laundry sack with the new island cubes. The aether island (sounds like Easter Islands when I say it out loud) is definitely darker. I really dig the new island color! (First photo with flash, second without.)

BWeaves
03-21-2018, 06:39 AM
I gave up on TB ever making the laundry cubes so a year ago I bought a bunch of the Eagle Creek Specter Clean/Dirty cubes, which are the same design, only in silnylon and smaller sizes. I love them, which is why I hoped that TB would make something similar.

For those of you who have both the Eagle Creek Specter Clean/Dirty cubes and the new TB Laundry cubes, can you give us a comparison?
Pros and cons?

What I see:

EC Specter: Silnylon is thin and slippery, and in white is see through. They are smaller than the TB cubes, which means you can fit other items around the cubes when packing the A45. I like the slick fabric as it makes it easy to slide the cubes in and out of bags, although they don't have much structure. Since my first cubes were the Specter ones, I'm used to having no structure to my cubes.

TB: Aether is more papery feeling. I'm not sure about the mesh, as I've never tried it. It seems like it would be more grabby on other fabrics and zippers. The cubes take up the full space, which means there's no room to stuff something else down the side of an A45, or is there? I don't know.

I think I'm just going to have to buy some and compare myself. BUY ALL THE BAGS!!!

UPDATE: GAH! I couldn't stand it. I ordered one of each. I'll post the comparison with the EC cubes when I get the TB cubes.

GoStanford
03-23-2018, 08:44 PM
I wipe down the cubes with a dry or very lightly damp rag or paper towel, depending on what it's held. I don't want to expose the material to a lot of water and risk breakdown of any coating. I don't put shoes directly into the all-fabric cubes, but first into a plastic bag or maybe only into a plastic bag. I've also never used the cubes for camping or the like.

BWeaves
03-28-2018, 03:26 PM
I just got my Aether laundry cubes.

I bought 2 small A45 laundry cubes and 2 large A45 laundry cubes. One wasabi and one island, each size. I love the double sided design, but I knew I would, because I love my Eagle Creek Clean/Dirty cubes.

Observations:

They fit in my A45 perfectly, obviously, but they take up the entire interior space.
The small cube fits in the end pockets perfectly, also.
The small cube fits in my Pilot.
The small cube fits in my Pop Tote. Two might even fit. This could turn my Pop Tote into a minimalist suitcase.

The Aether fabric has a bit more structure than the silnylon of the Eagle Creek Specter Clean/Dirty cubes, but not by much.
The floating wall tends to make the cube lose it's shape when empty, compared with a plain cube, but I happen to love the floating wall.
The TB cubes are a different shape than the EC cubes, so obviously the TB cubes fit my A45 perfectly while the EC cubes don't quite fill the entire space of the A45.

I still love the silnylon of the EC Specter cubes.
The A45 cubes are huge, so there will be times that the smaller EC cubes will work better for me.

The small EC cubes are roughly the same width and depth as the TB cubes, but they are shorter by 2 or 3 inches.
The large EC cubes are roughly the same length and depth as the TB cubes, but they are not as wide by about 2 or 3 inches.
I think both brands are all compatible, because the EC cubes allow me to pack other cubes around them, while the TB cubes take up the full space in the A45.
This leaves room for clear packing cubes and travel trays.

I'm still not sure about the mesh, but it will make compressing the cube a bit easier if it's not completely full. Plus it adds some structure to the cube because it's a bit stiff.

THANK YOU, TOM!!! I feel like I was heard when I asked for a laundry cube. And I was also heard when I asked for a zip top Tote Bag. You gave us the Pop Tote and I'm looking forward to the new Shop Bags. It's wonderful to feel like someone is making something you've always wanted and good quality, too. You and your whole team are the best!! Thank you!

G42
04-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Recently I did an overnight work trip to Arizona and a 4day/3night vacation trip to Oregon. Both times I carried my Smart Alec and used A30 packing cubes to compartmentalize my clothes.

I have the older style solid aether end cubes & a small cube... and one of the new small laundry cubes.

I packed one cube flat in the base of the SA and because of the shape of the bag, I can put a laptop behind it (with or without a TB cache) and small items in front of it (like hard case for sunglasses, mini toiletry kit, etc.) On top of the first cube, I put two more of the cubes on their long ends and there's room for more stuff on top.

I've only used the small laundry cube these two times, but so far I like it.... I could see easily ONLY using small laundry cubes, since I tend to cluster like clothing items together and that way I'd always having the clean/dirty of each type still together...

BWeaves
04-02-2018, 07:03 AM
I couldn't find this thread, so I started a new thread with my comparison photos of the TB A45 Laundry Cubes vs. Eagle Creek Specter Clean/Dirty Cubes.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/13454-a45-laundry-cubes-vs-ec-specter-clean-dirty-cubes.html#post158663

Lani
04-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Oh oh oh -- does this mean we'll see aether versions of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and Packing Cube Backpacks? Yes please!!

ThomGault
04-04-2018, 08:43 AM
So the brand new model of packing cubes, released just three weeks ago in carbon, are being retired already? :confused:Or does this announcement (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/12662-color-list-news.html#post158832) only apply to the old solid-style aether carbon packing cubes?

BWeaves
04-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Carbon was never my favorite color. It was just a black hole where things disappeared. It's one of the reasons I didn't like the travel cubelet.

BUT NO, Canyon is discontinued, too. I LOVE Canyon.

G42
04-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Carbon was never my favorite color. It was just a black hole where things disappeared. It's one of the reasons I didn't like the travel cubelet.

BUT NO, Canyon is discontinued, too. I LOVE Canyon.

I like my carbon cubes, but my favorite colours include all forms of grey and charcoal, so there you go!

I am very sad that Canyon is disco'd, I was hoping that they would sneak it into a LSB run as @Darcy alluded might happen with the ballistics... The Mars Red/Canyon and Olive/Canyon are very pleasing colour combos to me.

aedifica
04-06-2018, 05:03 AM
Carbon, nooo! I was waiting for a Carbon small cube for the Western Flyer! I don't really like how any of the other Aether colors look with Wasabi Halcyon.

bchaplin
04-06-2018, 06:35 AM
I know! I like the cheerful colors, but there should be a neutral choice as well. Wasabi, violet and island are pretty strong colors.

Also wondering, since it looks like carbon aether is on the inside of my beloved Travel Cubelets, what that will be replaced with? The thing I like about the Travel Cubelet is that you can choose an exterior color that you like, and not worry about it being available only in some jarring combination. [cough] Blue/Grass [cough]

Cristina
04-06-2018, 06:53 AM
I know! I like the cheerful colors, but there should be a neutral choice as well. Wasabi, violet and island are pretty strong colors.

Also wondering, since it looks like carbon aether is on the inside of my beloved Travel Cubelets, what that will be replaced with? The thing I like about the Travel Cubelet is that you can choose an exterior color that you like, and not worry about it being available only in some jarring combination. [cough] Blue/Grass [cough]

Maybe NWS aether is coming?