PDA

View Full Version : Small cafe bag organization help

jool
03-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Hi, I have a bunch of photos of my small cafe bag at https://photos.app.goo.gl/C2vQPfjBXqUMQ1su2

I was wondering if anyone had better ideas for where to put my stuff. Right now, the problem areas are:
* Keys are in front pocket with glasses and sunglasses. The keys get tangled with them.
* The bottom zipper pocket of the freudian slip (FS) holds a lot of small things, but they are difficult to get out once they are in there.
* The other side of the FS large zipper pocket is only holding my earbuds and ear plugs.
* I put my wallet in the large pocket inside the bag itself, but it's hard to slip the wallet back in without taking out the FS.
* The felt pouch I use for my tampons is kind of too big for them and bulky in the small cafe bag.

Not shown in photos is that I put my Kindle paperwhite and iPhone 6S Plus in the back pocket.

Maybe I should have gotten the medium cafe bag with the slightly larger FS? Or maybe some collection of pouches will work better than using the FS at all? Or maybe the FS can be reorganized in a better way?

Thanks!

bchaplin
03-19-2018, 04:34 AM
I find myself switching back and forth between the Small Cafe Bag and something larger (like the Luminary or, as you pointed out, the Medium Cafe Bag), because it really requires minimalism. But I try to carry it a few days a week, and I love the feeling of freedom from having such a weightless bag.

Don't know if this will appeal to you, but while I used to use the Freudian Slip in the SCB, now it is the Travel Cubelet instead that helps me organize my stuff. Since I carry the TC anyway, inside whatever larger bag I'm using, I find it easy to transfer back and forth. It contains my wallet, hand sanitizer, lip balm, cash, and a pen. I find that it fits in the SCB with some room around the edges for other things. On one side of the cafe bag, connected to the o-ring, are my keys. Maybe that would allow you to use the front zippered pocket for your sunglasses exclusively? In the back is my A5 notebook and phone, and there is still additional room around the edges, and in the interior pockets.

The other aspect of this is that if I am in a crowded place, I clip the zippers of the TC to a side o-ring in the SCB, using a mini-carabiner. I like the extra protection this gives me.

AlaskaGirl
03-19-2018, 04:45 AM
Greetings,
There is a trial/travel size of Aleve that holds about a dozen pills. I got it because it takes up less room. It's similar in size to a lip balm. I keep both lip balm and Aleve in a Tom Bihn Pocket Pouch.

Measure the length of your tampons. I think a Tom Bihn mini or small Organizer Pouch would hold them with less bulk.

I don't have a Cafe Bag, so I don't have suggestions to optimize the space. I did try a Freudian Slip in my Maker's Bag, but most of the time I don't need it. Instead, I find that I prefer Organizer Pouches, Q-Kits, and the Tom Bihn Wallet, usually with the 8 inch key straps to tether them all.

I think the little things you keep in the FS zippered pocket would go well in a Q-Kit. However, I am unsure how well a Q-Kit will work in a Cafe Bag. The mini Q-Kit will easily fit in the Cafe Bag, but might be a tight fit for your items. The small Q-Kit will most likely hold all your items, but I don't know if it is convenient in a Cafe Bag.

I find that I like the Cubelet and the Travel Cubelet to corral all the little things in my bag. I'm not sure if that would work better in a Cafe Bag than the Freudian Slip.

Good luck! elisa

backpack
03-19-2018, 01:24 PM
After finding myself digging for the right pouch at check out counters, and pulling out the wrong one too many times, I decided I needed to organize my SCB better.

So I removed everything and reorganized. I tried using my key straps differently, lining up the Pouches in the same manner every single time.
Nothing worked in real life situation, I always took out the wrong Pouch.

I thought I needed something to differentiate, corral, put together Pouches I seldom used, and the ones that I use a lot.

Even before I could try out some of my ideas, my seldom used Pouches in a bigger Pouch, daisy wheel them on a large key ring clipped to a Double Carabiner, Tom and Nick came out with the Travel Cubelet.

It holds seldom used Pouches, a pen and other small items. A great addition to TB accessories offerings!

The Cubelet should be able to hold the majority of tampons, backup cups as well as disposable and cloth pads brands in the market.

jool
03-22-2018, 12:09 AM
Thanks everyone! Looks like my list of Tom Bihn "want to buy" is growing. More pouches and cubes.

Kelly S
03-22-2018, 01:07 PM
Greetings,
There is a trial/travel size of Aleve that holds about a dozen pills. I got it because it takes up less room. It's similar in size to a lip balm. I keep both lip balm and Aleve in a Tom Bihn Pocket Pouch.

I'm a fan of Advil (ibuprofen/nurofen(?), but they have a similar sized pill container in the first aid kid I carry with me every day. I've been using the same container for years and years now. I refill it when I buy a new bottle of Advil for home so that I know the pills in the container are in date and safe to use.

Cristina
03-22-2018, 01:19 PM
I'm a fan of Advil (ibuprofen/nurofen(?), but they have a similar sized pill container in the first aid kid I carry with me every day. I've been using the same container for years and years now. I refill it when I buy a new bottle of Advil for home so that I know the pills in the container are in date and safe to use.

Yep, Tylenol do the same! And Pepto Bismol, and an off brand Dramamine and at least a few others.

Waterlogged
03-22-2018, 03:36 PM

I've also got one of those travel-sized containers with ibuprofen and Excedrin that I keep in the top pocket of my brain bag. And one in the glove compartment of each of the family cars. It's surprising how often they get used and refilled.

KmK
03-23-2018, 01:15 PM
Jool,

Regarding your keys tangling... that was a pain for me too...until I simply put them in a mini organizer pouch. It makes everything so much easier, actually. Also, my pouches are all different colors and patterns. It helps me stay sorted. Pay: halcyon; house: wasabi, etc. My brain remembers the category and color more easily.

Also, I use a small cafe FS every day—though not for “bag stuff” like keys, wallet, etc. I use it to hold what I will need in order to do what I am doing where I am going....most of the time, this means writing instruments, notebooks, etc. I simply pull this out, and paff, work materials all together and ready to be used.

Go Navy
03-24-2018, 10:11 AM
I'm using a clear organizer pouch, size 5x7, for my little medicine kit. This is just over the counter stuff, and it's always there if I need it. I move it between my Medium Cafe Bag and my Co-Pilot. The nice thing about it is that it is flat. I seldom have to pull it out, but have it on a tether anyway. In the MCB, I have to take care not to jam my iPad or Macbook 12 down on top of it in the bottom of the bag. I might start carrying it the front zipper pocket of the MCB, but on the other hand I don't need it very often.

Go Navy
03-24-2018, 10:12 AM
Actually, I think the smaller sized clear organizer pouch would work ok, too.

backpack
03-24-2018, 02:32 PM
In my EDC, I use Tic Tac boxes for over the counter medication, that can be bought cheaply in bigger bottles.
They are flat and can be housed in the front pocket of the SCB as well as the Small/Medium Pouches, the Q-KIts and the Cubelet, inside the SCB, MCB, SK. If the Tic Tac box gets a split, it is re-used for small office supplies.
This justify the bulk purchase of Tic Tacs which are small low sugar fighters and are great when planes' descent are slow.

The brand name travel sized containers as well as the blister packs are ideal for travel.

Some countries are more strict about over the counter medications and it makes it easier, if one crosses borders.

Go Navy
03-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Note: my first picture was so bad I had to replace it. Hope that is more useful!

Pcruz31
09-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Can you fit in a water bottle with the TC inside the SCB?

G42
09-17-2018, 05:18 PM
This is a 16oz Nalgene beside a (not stuffed) Travel Cubelet inside a SCB...this is actually what I brought to work today

Pcruz31
09-19-2018, 08:54 PM
This is a 16oz Nalgene beside a (not stuffed) Travel Cubelet inside a SCB...this is actually what I brought to work today

Thank you so much for posting thispicture. I was afraid that the SCB would too small and the MCG too big, but this is exactly what I am looking for.

I like that the interior of your SCB looks the same as the TC.

backpack
10-24-2018, 06:31 AM

What are the colors of your SCB?

G42
10-24-2018, 06:34 AM
What are the colors of your SCB?

The photo was of one of the new Nebulous/Island ones... that Nalgene bottle is a weird chartreuse colour, so I think it throws everything off....makes the island look like fjord... the TC inside is also the new island.
I also have an Olive/Canyon one...

Hmmmm, I hardly ever use the SCBs - I seem to use the TC and SKs more...and travel with the DLBC inside an A30.
I was lured in by the colours!!!

TB just needs to make a scrap quilt of all the colours so I can stare at them.... but then again, maybe not, I wouldn't buy so many bags!