PDA

View Full Version : How do you use your Freudian Slip?

Dancingphysicist
04-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Iím really confused about the Freudian Slips. I just don't know how to use them. Currently I have one for the Smart Alec, Makers bag, and medium Cafe bag. I find they give some extra structure to the bags (especially the makers FS in my DLBC). However, I only find one side of them to be easily accessible in the bag. They take up more room and can make it harder to reach into the bag and pull things out. For those who love their Freudian Slips, what do you like about them? Is it the extra in-bag organisation? Do you pack separate things in them and pull the FS out at your destination? Do you use it to transfer things from one bag to another quickly? Some details examples would be helpful. I feel like I'm missing a key piece of the puzzleóhelp me find it!

Traveltech
04-21-2018, 01:15 PM
I have the same issue. I came to TB because of the Freudian Slips, (I loved the idea of a removable organizational insert) but ultimately I don’t use it. I think the bulk is an issue in my Luminary, and agree with you in the confusion over using both sides. I have tried loading it up in. Pop Tote but again, only one side is usable if you tuck it into the buttoned down area.

Would love to hear how others use it.

terayon
04-21-2018, 01:43 PM
I have a MCB-sized FS that I move from bag to bag, though right now Iím mostly using my Synapse 19. I keep my iPad in the rear pocket, with a Field Notes notebook in the mesh pocket and a small double org pouch in the zip pocket with coins and cash. The width of the DOP means that it stays in place if I clip it onto the o-ring.

On the other side, I (ahem) used a seam ripper to combine some of the small pen slots into a larger pocket. I keep frequently-used cards in one pocket along with a USB stick and lip balm, lesser-used cards in another pocket with a cleaning cloth for my glasses, and a flashlight and a couple of small pens in the slots. In one of the front mesh pockets, I have my work ID card, a Lightning cable, and a small portable battery. In the other I keep keys and headphones as well as a toothbrush and travel toothpaste. I threaded a split-ring onto the elastic edging so that I can clip my keys on and know that they wonít accidentally come out of that pocket.

For me the reason for the FS is to make sure that I have the important EDC stuff when I switch between bags, which I do fairly often. Itís also a good place for my iPad, and as a place to keep (folded) papers that I might need to carry with me. I keep the back side of the FS (with the iPad) against the back panel of the S19, and I donít have any problems accessing the stuff in the pockets on that side. I also like that the FS lets me use the vertical space in the bags better, and keeps things that I want often (eg. my debit card) near the top and easy to get to.

I find that using a smaller FS seems to work better for me - easier to get in and out of a bag and takes up less of the compartment. Through a bit of experimentation I have found that the MCB FS is the smallest one that holds what I need. I really donít take the FS out except when changing bags.

Cristina
04-21-2018, 02:41 PM
Iím really confused about the Freudian Slips. I just don't know how to use them. Currently I have one for the Smart Alec, Makers bag, and medium Cafe bag. I find they give some extra structure to the bags (especially the makers FS in my DLBC). However, I only find one side of them to be easily accessible in the bag. They take up more room and can make it harder to reach into the bag and pull things out. For those who love their Freudian Slips, what do you like about them? Is it the extra in-bag organisation? Do you pack separate things in them and pull the FS out at your destination? Do you use it to transfer things from one bag to another quickly? Some details examples would be helpful. I feel like I'm missing a key piece of the puzzleóhelp me find it!

I did rely on my FS to give my S25 some support before the frame sheets were introduced, but apart from that it didn't fit how I wanted to pack the bag. For me, moving either a Side Kick or a Side Effect works better when switching bags, because I then have the option to take only the SK/SE with me. Right now my FS is hanging in my closet, holding items that I only sometimes put in my bag.

bchaplin
04-21-2018, 02:51 PM
I thought the Freudian Slips were such a clever idea when they came out. I love the idea of loading up all the pockets and transferring it from one bag to another, without having to fish for all the bits and pieces, and possibly forgetting something. In fact, in the past I found the Small Cafe Bag FS to be really useful; it helped me utilize all the vertical space and keep my things extra secure. I liked that I could reach right in the bag and feel for what I wanted, since everything was in a fixed location rather than a jumble.

However, now that the Travel Cubelet has been released, it has more or less replaced the function of a repository for all the small, valuable things I want to move from one bag to anther. The TC is now what I carry in the Small Cafe Bag, and there isn't room for a FS as well. The TC also goes into the other bag I use frequently, the Luminary. It has its pros and cons compared to the FS but I find that the FS's are sitting in my closet, sad and lonely, lately. I can see them being useful, though, depending on what project I'm doing, so I'm reluctant to give them up.

Coincidentally, @KmK has a nice photo (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/4819-your-photos-needed-149.html#post159472) of a setup with a FS. All those pen pockets are great for artists (and probably teachers).

--

Edit: This discussion made me think about the weekly class I take, which requires a thin A5 notebook, my iPad mini, and three pens. I keep this all packed in a Side Kick so it's ready to go. However, the Small Cafe Bag Freudian slip actually weighs less and has more pen slots, so I realized it might be a better solution. Putting the FS back in service...

KmK
04-21-2018, 03:56 PM
I use the SCB FS and MCB FS most of all. They drop right in to whatever bag I am using. They corral pens, lip balm, notebooks, phone, mints, change, thin books, a spork... I do tend to take them out where I am going. The bag can be put away and necessary tools are at the ready. I've carried it into meetings and also plunked it on coffeeshop table tops. No piles go sliding and there's no advertising what I have with me. Used within the bag, I find that it keeps things neat and tidy--no bent notebook pages, no lost or wandering pens.

They do take up space in the bag, but for me, the bag is the temporary resting pace for the FS. It shines in its function to help me do what I do when I get where I am going. The bag gets it from point A to B.

Side note, the MCB FS and SCB FS also both fit into a large OP...which can also be handy at meetings/conferences because you can slide in papers too and zip the whole thing shut.

Nutshell version, I use my FSes to contain the stuff I use most often...which happens to be mostly flat and and rectangular or skinny and cylindrical... I find them useful.

bbcamp
04-21-2018, 06:49 PM
I have two Freudian Slips, and in both cases, I use them to carry the important everyday stuff I need to get to quickly, and also to carry some basic 'EDC" stuff I never want to be without.

I use a Small Cafe bag FS in my Imago, both to give it a bit of structure, and to keep stuff from falling to the bottom of the bag: phone, notebook, some pens, etc. In the back pocket, I carry my checkbook. In the zippered pockets, I carry a phone charger, charging cord, and some adapters.

I also use a Medium Cafe Bag FS in a backpack, which I often use instead of the Imago. Again,the FS carries the same sorts of things, and keeps them from falling to the bottom of the bag.

I can take them out if I need more space, but usually when I do need the space, I just leave them in and take a second bag (usually a Pop Tote). they are with me all the time, in other words.

I do occasionally take the FS out and put it on a desk if I am working in a strange place, to hold my pens, etc.

nimikor
04-21-2018, 07:10 PM
I carry my checkbook.

Whatís that? [emoji23]

twosandalz
04-21-2018, 08:03 PM
For me, the key to FS happiness is having a bag with enough width that I can load up the FS, access both sides, and still have room for other things to fit in the bag.

I use a MCB FS in my knitting Swift. It corrals stuff that normally falls to the bottom of the bag, like my tablet and notions pouch. So no more fishing around under my projects and yarn every time I need something. And it holds frequently used items up high for easy reach, like scissors, patterns and pens, for a nicer work flow.

I made one for my work Swift too. I sized it to hold papers and it has a couple pockets for items I grab regularly. Like my knitting swift, the bag is wide enough for lunch, a sweater, travel mug, etc, and I don't have to unpack to grab a pen.

Neither the FS, nor the "FS" gets removed from their bags. I find them awkward to use when they're lying flat.

gqb
04-22-2018, 12:58 AM
I use my medium FS for college. I have notebook and papers in one side and calculator, pencil case and college ID in the other. When I get to class I pull out the MCB and there is everything I need, no need to rummage around.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Kelly S
04-22-2018, 07:56 AM
Actually my husband has stolen my FS. It's the only TB product he's using at them moment (I tried, really I did!).
He works in tech and uses it to hold all his chargers and small devices. He's also got a few snacks and other first aid items in it.

He likes it because his big complaint about his bag was that all his stuff just ended up in a pile at the bottom. "What I need is more pockets in this bag" he said. So I nagged him into trying the FS, and now he loves it.

Next goal is to get him to replace is cheap backpack that is coming apart at the seams and has holes in the fabric, with a quality bag from TB.

Waterlogged
04-22-2018, 01:40 PM
I've been very happy with the FS I purchased with my Brain Bag. Since the compartments are so large, it definitely helps to organize and maximize the use of the space. Once side of my FS corrals papers (and a mouse pad), while the other side keeps pens, highlighters, a ruler, and some cards in an easily accessible spot at the top of the bag. Below the row of pen slots are a selection of items that I want with me on trips but use less often: portable hard drive, A5 notebook, and a small bluetooth keyboard. I seldom remove the FS from the BB.

Dancingphysicist
04-27-2018, 12:45 PM
Thank you all for the awesome comments and suggestions. I think that (grudgingly) I've concluded that the dlbc just isn't for me. I found it awkward to use, even though the makers FS makes it so much more manageable and structured. I also really love my SCB without a FS. However, for the last week I've been testing out my brand new halcyon MCB with the MCB FS and I love it. It adds structure and a bit of protection to my iPad without changing the weight much. I can't imagine using the MCB without it. It is a definite keeper. I'm about to fly to India (sitting in the airport bar now waiting to board), and the FS up has already proved incredibly useful for organizing all my bits and bobs. I think I get it for the first time. Thanks!

Fluff
04-27-2018, 06:03 PM
I have two FS: maker's bag and small cafe bag. Currently, I have neither of those bags! I use the MB FS in several non-Bihn tote bags (depending on season and mood) and the SCB FS primarily in the top inside pocket of the daylight backpack. I use the SCB FS in the daylight briefcase too, sometimes--it leaves a lot more room in the DLBC than the maker's bag FS.

I tend to carry my edc bits in pouches, so I don't use the FS itself to transfer stuff between bags. For me, they 1) add a drop pocket for my phone near the top of the bags; 2) provide o-rings in the non-Bihn tote bags; and 3) add a flat pocket for papers (or folded papers) when I do happen to acquire them so that they don't end up wadded up at the bottom.

The MB FS was probably designed to complement the MB first and foremost, but I would have preferred the MB FS to have a side that resembled the cafe bag FS (upper open pockets and lower mesh pouches, instead of the three zippered sections). I haven't found a good purpose for the long zippered pocket at the bottom of the MB FS, since I'm not carrying a bunch of markers, brushes, or crochet hooks--but at least there are two more o-rings down there.

Also, I must say, when I first got into TB, I was a little turned off by the organizational FS being a "pricey add-on"--but now I am very happy about the way TB works with optional FS and optional laptop caches. I've had too many bags in the past with non-removable laptop compartments that I don't use and a dozen tiny pockets in an overly-complicated organizer panel, often even segregated in its own useless-to-me zippered section. I much prefer the relative simplicity of the base TB bags and being able to configure them as I wish.

johntubbs
05-01-2018, 03:23 PM
I have two FS: maker's bag and small cafe bag. Currently, I have neither of those bags! I use the MB FS in several non-Bihn tote bags (depending on season and mood) and the SCB FS primarily in the top inside pocket of the daylight backpack. I use the SCB FS in the daylight briefcase too, sometimes--it leaves a lot more room in the DLBC than the maker's bag FS.

I tend to carry my edc bits in pouches, so I don't use the FS itself to transfer stuff between bags. For me, they 1) add a drop pocket for my phone near the top of the bags; 2) provide o-rings in the non-Bihn tote bags; and 3) add a flat pocket for papers (or folded papers) when I do happen to acquire them so that they don't end up wadded up at the bottom.

The MB FS was probably designed to complement the MB first and foremost, but I would have preferred the MB FS to have a side that resembled the cafe bag FS (upper open pockets and lower mesh pouches, instead of the three zippered sections). I haven't found a good purpose for the long zippered pocket at the bottom of the MB FS, since I'm not carrying a bunch of markers, brushes, or crochet hooks--but at least there are two more o-rings down there.

Also, I must say, when I first got into TB, I was a little turned off by the organizational FS being a "pricey add-on"--but now I am very happy about the way TB works with optional FS and optional laptop caches. I've had too many bags in the past with non-removable laptop compartments that I don't use and a dozen tiny pockets in an overly-complicated organizer panel, often even segregated in its own useless-to-me zippered section. I much prefer the relative simplicity of the base TB bags and being able to configure them as I wish.

How do you put the SCB FS is a DLBC? It would be sidewise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluff
05-01-2018, 04:16 PM
How do you put the SCB FS is a DLBC? It would be sidewise?

The FS for small cafe bag is about 10 inches tall, and fits in the DLBC main compartment right way up, not sideways. I only have to tuck in the FS webbing loop when zipping up the DLBC.

matsui
06-22-2018, 01:37 AM
I haven't used my FS with my TriStar for some years now. Additional bulk and didn't bring me much value.

johntubbs
06-22-2018, 06:38 AM
The FS for small cafe bag is about 10 inches tall, and fits in the DLBC main compartment right way up, not sideways. I only have to tuck in the FS webbing loop when zipping up the DLBC.

I now have the FS for SCB in my DLBC. It sits well between the rails in the back behind the cache. It actually makes for creating vertical spots in the back corners for umbrella, power brick, etc. It feels like the size of the bag increased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majandra22
06-25-2018, 09:54 PM
I have tried loading it up in Pop Tote but again, only one side is usable if you tuck it into the buttoned down area.

I bought an FS specifically for this purpose, but besides not being able to access one side, I find it always escaping from the buttoned top and falling diagonally inside the the bag. Such an annoyance, but it makes it not feel so blasphemous that I'm getting ready to cut mine apart and repurpose it for better use in my Pop Tote! I think my design will not only make the FS truly useful but will also fix most of the issues I have with the Pop Tote and turn it into my dream bag! I will post a picture of the finished product as soon as it's complete (hopefully within the next 3-4 weeks!)