PDA

View Full Version : Lost from Side Effect - what I can learn from it?

Jaffa
04-24-2018, 09:17 AM
I use a black halcyon SE, which is large enough for my EDC handbag. However after losing my phone back up charger from it, as it was in the small open top pocket, it just fell out somewhere.
Im re thinking my EDC - I don’t carry much, diary, iPhone 7 Plus, folding reading glasses, wallet (big skinny), pen, comb, emergency teabag,nail file, small glass perfume roll on. The SE is sort of lop sided and had been thinking of using a pouch to organised some of it. Then I lose my $25 (UKP) phone charger, so Im rethinking my EDC further.
So, I either stay with the SE or Im thinking of getting a travel cubelet in Halcyon when they come back in stock.
Does anyone have any experience of losing ‘stuff’ due the open top pockets, or do you use a zipped organiser Wallet to prevent this or some other method that I haven’t thought of?.
Also what phone backup charger does anyone recommend?, as I like the goalzero but it’s rectangler in shape, so its not flat and not the cheapest, but its small which is good, I prefer to go for quality stuff (like TB), I would prefer to have just one of something and buy it once (not TB bags of course).
TIA
Jaffa

DeBru
04-24-2018, 09:59 AM
I have everything in various sized OPs tethered with keystraps... I have had people laugh when I open my bag to retrieve something, but I haven’t lost anything in a while!

Cristina
04-24-2018, 10:12 AM
I use a black halcyon SE, which is large enough for my EDC handbag. However after losing my phone back up charger from it, as it was in the small open top pocket, it just fell out somewhere.
Im re thinking my EDC - I don’t carry much, diary, iPhone 7 Plus, folding reading glasses, wallet (big skinny), pen, comb, emergency teabag,nail file, small glass perfume roll on. The SE is sort of lop sided and had been thinking of using a pouch to organised some of it. Then I lose my $25 (UKP) phone charger, so Im rethinking my EDC further.
So, I either stay with the SE or Im thinking of getting a travel cubelet in Halcyon when they come back in stock.
Does anyone have any experience of losing ‘stuff’ due the open top pockets, or do you use a zipped organiser Wallet to prevent this or some other method that I haven’t thought of?.
Also what phone backup charger does anyone recommend?, as I like the goalzero but it’s rectangler in shape, so its not flat and not the cheapest, but its small which is good, I prefer to go for quality stuff (like TB), I would prefer to have just one of something and buy it once (not TB bags of course).
TIA
Jaffa

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you lost something in the open top pocket. Do you mean you lost something in an open top pocket of what your SE was in? The SE only has open top pockets internally so I am having trouble picturing it.

tress29
04-24-2018, 10:59 AM
I'm guessing the SE wasn't zipped closed...

Jaffa
04-24-2018, 11:14 AM
Yeah sorry , I didnt make it clear, it was in 1 of the 2 open pockets..wallet in 1 and back up charger/glass perfume roll on and folding reading glasses in the other. The SE wasn’t zipped closed, and the fact it seems to be lop sided, i think it has turned on its side and the charger has dropped out...
Its just annoying and expensive.
Jaffa

Aeon
04-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Is this the first time this has happened to you or is this a recurring occurence with the Side Effect? If it's the first time, I wouldn't change anything; I'd be more diligent of closing my bag after opening it. I wouldn't suggest changing your EDC setup if it was a one-time mental lapse.

Cristina
04-24-2018, 11:40 AM
Yeah sorry , I didnt make it clear, it was in 1 of the 2 open pockets..wallet in 1 and back up charger/glass perfume roll on and folding reading glasses in the other. The SE wasn’t zipped closed, and the fact it seems to be lop sided, i think it has turned on its side and the charger has dropped out...
Its just annoying and expensive.
Jaffa

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. That is annoying!

I would consider a Side Kick too, as well as the TC. If you would be equally happy with a vertical or a horizontal orientation, then I would decide based on color. For example, you can only get Viridian as an external color in a TC, but you can only get black Halcyon in a SK, so it's actually not a bad way to decide (unless you prefer Mars Red or Alphaviolet, then you should get both! [emoji23])

Jaffa
04-24-2018, 01:27 PM
I think the Side Kick, would be too large for what I need on a day to day basis.
Im leaning towards a Travel Cubelet, (not just for the fact that it looks cute), but I would like to try the portrait orientation
,I think I will get a pouch or too, for extra security. I would usually go for Black Halcyon, but as that’s not an option (not sure if that’s something that might change in the future), will go for grey Halcyon instead, suppose its more summery.Im hoping if I throw it inside a bag
That NWS as an interior colour there might be a difference in shades to be able to find it.
(@ Cristina that’s the way of getting tooo many TB bags, (but I like your thinking) which Im trying to resist - another TB delivery is due this weekend)
Jaffa

bermudajes
04-25-2018, 09:50 AM
I am notorious for leaving my SE unzipped, and find that it easily flips upside down to where the contents can spill out. It's happened a few times but, as far as I know, I haven't lost anything. I just wonder why it flips so easily while I'm wearing it? Maybe because of the location of the o-rings where the strap hooks in.

I prefer a horizontal orientation for my larger bags, but after using both the SE and TC, I think I prefer the vertical orientation for my smallest bag (as it'll pop into my other bags much easier, and is MUCH less likely to flip or spill contents).

Jaffa
04-25-2018, 10:45 AM
Hi
Im glad Im not the only one that found the SE wanting to flip over..It must be the weight perhaps, might isn’t that heavy, but perhaps if its not evenly loaded then this will happen.
Had notification email, for the TC was back in stock, so its ordered to the UK, so will load that and see how I go.
Will be interesting to compare them.
Jaffa