PDA

View Full Version : Western Flyer + S25 Internal Frame Bag Hack

Misplaced
05-24-2018, 09:38 AM
I posted this hack over on the Review forum in a Western Flyer thread, but thought I'd post it here as well.

On my last transatlantic trip I used a Western Flyer in halcyon and a Synapse 25 internal frame in the second large compartment, with the T-bar on the frame lowered and velcro-d in. The bottom edges of the S25 frame will tuck into those internal corner containment-type flaps at the vertical bottom of the bag -- I have no idea what these are officially called (I think they are support for the backpack strap buckles?) so I call them Corner Thingies. Anyway the frame will tuck into the Corner Thingies and remain stable behind a WF large packing cube that is reasonably full-ish. There's no way to attach the T-bar at the top without some serious hackage, so that packing cube is more or less necessary. The frame provided a nice bit of stability for the bag and I will use it again.

The frame won't fit into the actual backpack strap compartment of the WF, however. I emailed Team Bihn before I bought the frame to check it would fit into the halcyon WF as the height dimension is identical: Team Bihn replied that it fits into both the halcyon and the ballistic bags (and that the height dimension on the frame probably includes the raised T-bar). I'll try to post an actual photograph of the set-up later.

Anyway if you are traveling afar, the S25 frame will fit into the WF and give you (mostly) the same benefits as with the S25. Who knew?!

Misplaced
05-25-2018, 02:35 AM
Couple of photos here, as promised:

https://imgur.com/a/vzdUhCo

Shortie
05-25-2018, 07:05 AM
Thank you for this idea. I bought and returned a WF; this hack making me reconsider that bag. An internal frame would make it more comfortable.

EDR1633
05-27-2018, 03:02 PM
Is there any word of Tom Bihn planning on designing an internal frame for the Western Flyer, Tri-Star and/or Aeronaut in the near future?

G42
05-27-2018, 07:33 PM
They announced in a different thread (can't find it on mobile) that both areonauts will get one and will be compatible with old and new versions.

moriond
05-27-2018, 08:18 PM
They announced in a different thread (can't find it on mobile) that both areonauts will get one and will be compatible with old and new versions.

I answered the question about the frame sheets in the Aeronauts in a recent thread, S25 frame sheet in the A30? (https://forums.tombihn.com/accessories-organization-strategies/13572-s25-frame-sheet-a30.html)

In addition to the fact that the adopted solutions will work for all versions of the Aeronaut 30 and 45, there's information on a newly designed padded hip belt to go with these bags/frames, and which should fit people up to 5'11''-6' in height. You can read more details in the Hints on timing of next debut? (https://forums.tombihn.com/just-for-registered-members/13325-hints-timing-next-debut.html) thread if you have a login that will let you read the Just for Registered Members section of the forums. (Be aware that this is a somewhat lengthy thread; I've summarized/quoted the salient details in my reply in the earlier linked thread)

This does not address frames for the Western Flyer or Tri-Star.

HTH

moriond