PDA

View Full Version : Hack for a large laptop in a too-small bag?

CathyWeeks
05-31-2018, 07:06 AM
I have a 15" rMBP. I also have a Maker's Bag. The laptop does go into the bag, but bulges ever-so-slightly out at the sides. I don't really want to buy a cache for this computer because it will bulge out even further. But .... I'd love to have something that will protect it a little.

I'm imagining a hanging file-folder-like configuration made from neoprene. No sides, or very very thin sides (maybe from mesh?), with hooks at each corner that could hook into the O-rings on either side of the MB.

Has anyone done something like this?

backpack
05-31-2018, 10:38 PM
Tom Bihn Caches are sturdy and thin, it would be good to try one, you can always return it.

The Empire Builder has hard plastic dividers to organize paperwork, you could check to see if they are in stock, separately, measure them and use that.

My suggestions would be to measure your laptop length, width and height then compare it to every accessories Tom Bihn makes to see if it fits outiside the laptop and inside the Maker Bag.

CathyWeeks
06-01-2018, 05:46 AM
Well, I suppose it's worth asking whether someone has tried putting a 15" Macbook Pro (pre 2017 model) in an appropriately sized cache (TB does make them after all), in the MB.

So, has anyone done that? How well/badly did it fit? How much room was left in the bag? I've seen photos of a 15" in a MB, but without the cache, and it isn't bad at all. But enclosed in a cache it would have to be a bit wider yet.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of just ordering the cache to try it, on spec - if it didn't fit, I'd wind up spending $20 (postage costs) just to try it. So, if there were photos and/or descriptions from someone who had tried it, I'd be thrilled.

imperator
06-01-2018, 10:02 AM
I'm sure with a sharp razor and a lighter you could modify an old (non-zippered) Cache. But it sounds like the ends are the most vulnerable to damage, and would stay that way.

Sounds like a lot more work than the good ol' credit card hack...Pull out the card, buy larger bag!

CathyWeeks
06-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a lot more work than the good ol' credit card hack...Pull out the card, buy larger bag!

Lol. I know this is heresy, but I've got an excellent Timbuk2 laptop messenger (I even got to pick the fabrics!) that will fit my laptop just fine. But, it's HUGE. It's my commuting bag for when I worked downtown and spent an hour on the bus 2x per day. It holds my work laptop (and is also big enough for my personal 15" laptop, or both), and also carries a good sized lunch bag, my EDC type stuff, etc. It's what I'd use if I were traveling with my laptop.

The MB is going to be my purse/EDC type bag. Bringing my laptop along would really just be an occasional thing, when I didn't want to bother with changing bags.

backpack
06-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Well, I suppose it's worth asking whether someone has tried putting a 15" Macbook Pro (pre 2017 model) in an appropriately sized cache (TB does make them after all), in the MB.

So, has anyone done that? How well/badly did it fit? How much room was left in the bag? I've seen photos of a 15" in a MB, but without the cache, and it isn't bad at all. But enclosed in a cache it would have to be a bit wider yet.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of just ordering the cache to try it, on spec - if it didn't fit, I'd wind up spending $20 (postage costs) just to try it. So, if there were photos and/or descriptions from someone who had tried it, I'd be thrilled.

Email the Crew and ask them to try the Cache size for your laptop inside an MB and give you a detailed description of how it looks.

If you are not in an hurry, wait until Tuesday to send the email because Monday is the Crew's busiest day.

In the meantime, you can go to "Your photos are needed thread" and do a search for MB

rbc3585
06-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Not sure how helpful this is, but I use a 13" macbook air cache to transport my HP laptop in my MB. Even though the cache is a bit wider than the stated width of the MB, the MB flexes to accommodate the cache, though this does subtract from the usable depth of the bag somewhat. The pre-2017 15" macbook pro cache is more than an inch wider than the macbook air cache (15.4 vs 14.29), so my guess is that the MB might fit the cache, but you really wouldn't be able to put anything very bulky in there with it.

Edit: just saw that the oldstyle horizontal cache for the pre-2017 15" MBP is still available and it has a smaller footprint, so that may be a better option.

dchang0
06-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Here's another option other than the Cache or other neoprene sleeves: a snap-on hard plastic cover that attaches to the top and bottom of the laptop. It is far thinner than the neoprene and protects the laptop from dings and dents (but not fluid spills).