PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a sewing kit?

CathyWeeks
06-02-2018, 08:28 AM
So, I'm thinking of adding a sewing kit to my MB. But most "travel" or "purse" sewing kits are filled with really low-quality components. So, I'm thinking of getting a TB pouch of some sort, and buying my own components. By necessity, the scissors will be cheap ones - any scissors I put in my bag will have to be confiscatable because I know I'll forget they are there, and they'll be taken at some point when I go through security.

I'm thinking about:

small (but standard) spools of medium gray, black, and white threads only
small box of straight pins (the box of pins seems problematic - every plastic box I've ever seen gets cracked eventually, and I don't think putting them directly in a OP is a good idea as I suspect they'll poke through)
a small OP full of safety pins
a "wheel" of different sewing needles

What else might be needed? and what OP would be a good choice for the set? I know a tape measure is a good idea, but I have one in my knitting notions already.

melminimalist
06-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Small tape measure. The ribbon kind. For scissors try the kindergarten safety scissors, they are cheap and since they are obviously children's you may have a better chance getting them through. Or a finger nail clipper, those cut thread well and won't ever be confiscated.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

G42
06-02-2018, 09:21 AM
I've read lots of tips and tricks on a variety of forums and what I settled on was this:

-old plastic film canister with lid (hopefully you have one tucked away somewhere - they're virtually indestructible)
-lengths of black, brown, and white thread wrapped around a small piece of paperboard (cut out of a cereal box or similar)
-a couple of needles threaded through a piece of index card/stiffer paper
-one button
-a few safety pins

That's the barebones kit.

I also usually have one of the small rolls of duct tape like this in a tiny ziplock (used for jewelry) in most bags I travel with...
https://www.amazon.com/S-L-Survive-Outdoors-Longer/dp/B004H87UGS/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527956378&sr=8-2&keywords=mini+roll+duct+tape

Nail clippers from my toiletry kit are sufficient to cut the thread.

I've had this type of kit or something like it for decades and I think I've had to use it maybe twice...but I was happy to have it!

sturbridge
06-02-2018, 10:21 AM
The times that I've needed a sewing kit are either to sew on a button or mend a hem. I've never needed a tape measure for repairs on the road. My minimalist sewing kit is 2 threaded needles, one with black thread and one with white thread stuck between a one inch or so piece of velcro with a couple of safety pins inserted into the outside. I also usually carry tape of some sort which could hold a hem until I got back home.

Cristina
06-02-2018, 11:38 AM
So, I'm thinking of adding a sewing kit to my MB. But most "travel" or "purse" sewing kits are filled with really low-quality components. So, I'm thinking of getting a TB pouch of some sort, and buying my own components. By necessity, the scissors will be cheap ones - any scissors I put in my bag will have to be confiscatable because I know I'll forget they are there, and they'll be taken at some point when I go through security.

I'm thinking about:

small (but standard) spools of medium gray, black, and white threads only
small box of straight pins (the box of pins seems problematic - every plastic box I've ever seen gets cracked eventually, and I don't think putting them directly in a OP is a good idea as I suspect they'll poke through)
a small OP full of safety pins
a "wheel" of different sewing needles

What else might be needed? and what OP would be a good choice for the set? I know a tape measure is a good idea, but I have one in my knitting notions already.

Since you're a knitter you could get a Knit Kit and then just add a thin strip of Velcro or cardboard with different coloured threads wound around it into the back compartment. The scissors are TSA-compliant:
https://theknitkit.com/collections/knit-kits-and-accessories/products/the-knit-kit?variant=6860169936954

Edited to add: forgot to ask, is this something you envision using more than just for emergencies? Is it going to be part of a larger craft kit? I'm guessing so since your list is kind of a lot to carry only for a quick repair, but if not, I would pare down. If for no other reason, than because spools of thread and tape measures take up a lot of room.

caitirilt
06-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Another tip that from Ladylighttravel's blog (https://ladylighttravel.com/2017/06/01/diy-sewing-kit/) is to use your dental floss "cutter" to snip threads instead of carrying scissors. It should be strong enough and eliminates any worry about confiscation (the post has other great tips.) I carry a version of this super minimalist kit in my small OP pouch that has some other first-aid/EDC bits.

CathyWeeks
06-03-2018, 07:19 AM
Is this something you envision using more than just for emergencies? Is it going to be part of a larger craft kit? I'm guessing so since your list is kind of a lot to carry only for a quick repair, but if not, I would pare down. If for no other reason, than because spools of thread and tape measures take up a lot of room.

I use my tape measure all the time for knitting, anyway - it lives in my knitting notions, and it's going in no matter what. It's a small, retractable, ribbon-style designed for knitters/seamsters, and is quite small.

But to answer your question, the sewing kit is for emergencies. One problem I've had with the teeny-tiny style of thread spools that come in kits is that I've run out of the right color of thread before, and it's impossible to get reasonable replacements, and the quality is for the birds (I've had threads that were rotting/breaking as I was trying to use them). But from my quilting days, I know that really, three colors are all that're needed, and maybe only two. I had in mind these kind of spools: 20590

They are about 2.5" long and maybe 1/2" in diameter.

I also like much longer needles than what come in the ready-made kits, so being able to chose my own is nice. Now that I think about it, one of the "wheel" cases full of needles is silly - takes up way more room than needed, and includes about 10x the number/type of needles that I need. I'd like a little cylinder of needles instead. Knitters love the "Chibi" darning needles because they come in a little plastic cylinder that is quite tough, and doesn't get lost. But for sewing needles, it's really kind of too big. Hmmm.... I'll have to think about that one.

melminimalist
06-03-2018, 07:22 AM
Also, you can use an empty altoids tin to hold you mini kit.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

G42
06-03-2018, 07:48 AM
I also like much longer needles than what come in the ready-made kits, so being able to chose my own is nice. Now that I think about it, one of the "wheel" cases full of needles is silly - takes up way more room than needed, and includes about 10x the number/type of needles that I need. I'd like a little cylinder of needles instead. Knitters love the "Chibi" darning needles because they come in a little plastic cylinder that is quite tough, and doesn't get lost. But for sewing needles, it's really kind of too big. Hmmm.... I'll have to think about that one.

I have a little wooden cylinder that holds beading needles which are quite long... it's similar to this one - they come in various sizes:

https://www.artbeads.com/jewelry-supplies/wood-needle-case-3-5-inch-x-5-inch/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsPj6rt632wIVAdRkCh1jvAZdEAQYASA BEgJLwPD_BwE

EDIT: oh, and with all that everyone's said... if you don't want to go super tiny, a mini Q-kit or a cubelet would hold everything

Cristina
06-03-2018, 12:03 PM
I use my tape measure all the time for knitting, anyway - it lives in my knitting notions, and it's going in no matter what. It's a small, retractable, ribbon-style designed for knitters/seamsters, and is quite small.

But to answer your question, the sewing kit is for emergencies. One problem I've had with the teeny-tiny style of thread spools that come in kits is that I've run out of the right color of thread before, and it's impossible to get reasonable replacements, and the quality is for the birds (I've had threads that were rotting/breaking as I was trying to use them). But from my quilting days, I know that really, three colors are all that're needed, and maybe only two. I had in mind these kind of spools: 20590

They are about 2.5" long and maybe 1/2" in diameter.

Sounds like you have a sewing machine? You could get three extra bobbins and wind each one with your preferred color of thread. You would have plenty that way but they would be flatter and much smaller than the Gutermann spools. (Nothing against Gutermann, that's the most common thread where I live and I consider those spools full size!).

It's been a long time since I've lived in the US but can you buy needles there in paper envelopes? This travel sewing kit is from the U.K. but it shows clearly a paper pack of needles (which are common to buy here). The paper packs fit easily in even very small cases.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/264661249/travel-sewing-kit-in-a-tin

As for scissors, that Etsy link also shows the sort of folding TSA scissors that are in the knit kit (which also has a yarn cutter built in). You can also use the cutter from a spool of dental floss if you want to eliminate scissors entirely.

Haraldsdotter
06-03-2018, 08:37 PM
You could get the rapid repair kit from merchant and mills... nice itty bitty scissors, decent thread, pins, safety pins and nice needles all in a small tin.. the scissors are tsa compliant as they are less than 2 inches total length and the blades are about 1 inch. I’ve flown with them multiple times international and domestic USA without even a question. I tucked a couple of Sajou cocoons in there with the rest for different colors (I tend to use a light grey or a dark grey thread for pretty much everything)
It’s £15 on their website

Cristina
06-04-2018, 01:34 AM
You could get the rapid repair kit from merchant and mills... nice itty bitty scissors, decent thread, pins, safety pins and nice needles all in a small tin.. the scissors are tsa compliant as they are less than 2 inches total length and the blades are about 1 inch. Iíve flown with them multiple times international and domestic USA without even a question. I tucked a couple of Sajou cocoons in there with the rest for different colors (I tend to use a light grey or a dark grey thread for pretty much everything)
Itís £15 on their website

WOW what a fabulous shop!

Shipping to the US would be more than the cost of the kit, but the kit mirrors several ideas in this thread: The needles come in a vial, the threads are wound on bobbins, and the whole thing is in a mint tin.

https://merchantandmills.com/store/equipment/notions/rapid-repair-kit-3/

Duggy'sMom
06-04-2018, 07:14 AM
I bought a merchant and mills rapid repair kit from a website in Canada for CAD 12.50 last year. Shipping wasn't too bad. They don't have any more in stock. But I'm sure if you want one, you can find another source.

CathyWeeks
06-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Sounds like you have a sewing machine? You could get three extra bobbins and wind each one with your preferred color of thread. You would have plenty that way but they would be flatter and much smaller than the Gutermann spools. (Nothing against Gutermann, that's the most common thread where I live and I consider those spools full size!).

The bobbin idea is brilliant! Thanks so much. I am totally going to do that. I can even use my sewing machine to do the winding.

Depending on the project, I buy MUCH bigger spools of Guttermann thread, but usually only in staple colors like black, white, and gray, and rarely in other colors if needed. The rest of my spools are like the ones shown in the pic.

I have a set of the folding scissors, so those are going in. I also have a little metal tin with a screw lid that I'm going to put both straight pins and safety pins in. Depending on the diameter of the tins I have, if it will hold 2-3 of the bobbins side-by-side, I'll use a second one for that. Needles I'm still thinking about. I LOVE the glass vial shown in one of the kits at the link upstream, but I think I'd likely end up breaking it. I have a metal tin for knitting notions, but it got badly dented in my EDC (it's now a little hard to get the lid to stay closed). I'd worry a glass needle holder would get broken. Right now, I'm thinking about making some sort of needle holder (probably out of cardboard) to go inside the lid of my round pin tin.

dchang0
06-05-2018, 01:43 AM
For sewing needles and pins, consider using the perfume counter sample fragrance vials with the snap-on lids. They seem to be pretty tough; I have never seen one break.

The ones I am referring to are 4085-05 here:

You can get them for free at Nordstroms all day long.

I imagine the longer ones would be more prone to breakage.

CathyWeeks
06-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Ok, here's what I've done so far:

These are 1 ounce screw-top containers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6ZM59U/) (about 2"/5cm across, about .75" tall). Initially I put the pins (both stick and safety), and the needles in one, and the bobbins and buttons in another. But the tin is actually tall enough to accommodate all of it in ONE tin. So now, the bobbins are in a tiny ziplock bag, which makes them easy to lift out to get to the pins and buttons. The needles are in their original cardboard, but I trimmed the card/folder to fit inside the lids, and it stays there by itself.

It's tiny - here's a picture for reference.

There's no cutting tool (though the tin could accommodate something REALLY tiny), and no tape measure, but I have those in my knitting notions bag already. My main goal was to have real amounts of decent quality thread, and longer needles than what's usually included. This worked really well.

I'd intended to put them in a separate organizer pouch, but as it turned out, my daughter had ordered a medium double organizer pouch for her MCB, and I'd ordered a small one for my MB, and she really wanted the smaller one as the medium pouch was really large in relation to her bag. So I traded. It's much bigger than I need for my knitting notions, so I just dropped this mini kit in there with my knitting notions. I'm going to use the clear pocket for the knitting patterns that are living in my MB. Most of the time I won't need to even remove it - it'll show through the clear window.

Added: Now I need to figure out what to do with the other 4 tins. :cool:

Cristina
06-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Ok, here's what I've done so far:

These are 1 ounce screw-top containers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6ZM59U/) (about 2"/5cm across, about .75" tall). Initially I put the pins (both stick and safety), and the needles in one, and the bobbins and buttons in another. But the tin is actually tall enough to accommodate all of it in ONE tin. So now, the bobbins are in a tiny ziplock bag, which makes them easy to lift out to get to the pins and buttons. The needles are in their original cardboard, but I trimmed the card/folder to fit inside the lids, and it stays there by itself.

It's tiny - here's a picture for reference.

There's no cutting tool (though the tin could accommodate something REALLY tiny), and no tape measure, but I have those in my knitting notions bag already. My main goal was to have real amounts of decent quality thread, and longer needles than what's usually included. This worked really well.

I'd intended to put them in a separate organizer pouch, but as it turned out, my daughter had ordered a medium double organizer pouch for her MCB, and I'd ordered a small one for my MB, and she really wanted the smaller one as the medium pouch was really large in relation to her bag. So I traded. It's much bigger than I need for my knitting notions, so I just dropped this mini kit in there with my knitting notions. I'm going to use the clear pocket for the knitting patterns that are living in my MB. Most of the time I won't need to even remove it - it'll show through the clear window.

What a nice kit! Thanks for sharing [emoji5]

G42
06-05-2018, 11:03 AM

If you make duplicate kits, would be a good idea for stocking stuffers or similar...or to round up on a swap
:)

CathyWeeks
06-05-2018, 12:07 PM
If you make duplicate kits, would be a good idea for stocking stuffers or similar...or to round up on a swap
:)

I've been thinking about turning the other 4 into sewing kits as well. Hadn't thought about how to disperse them, beyond maybe putting them in my cars, or putting one in my toiletries kit. (Though that still leaves one additional). Is there a swap thread here on these forums? Or elsewhere?

Added: Nevermind. I found the swap thread. :-D

bbcamp
06-15-2018, 01:11 PM
Its amazing how few decent sewing kits are available, and how expensive the good ones can get.
In my (home-made) sewing kit I have some extra-heavy thread (I think one is some army-surplus suture thread....), and a couple of buttons, one dress-shirt size, another big one that would work as the top button on a pair of jeans. In the past, I have used the heavy thread to repair camping equipment or shoes, and several times, the top button on a pair of pants. (I should eat less, I guess....). Long ago, I used to carry a very small pair of pliers with my sewing kit. They really helped to grab big needles when sewing very thick cloth.

fredlet
06-17-2018, 10:38 PM
I generally cobble things together as I find them and keep them in an old altoids tin :)

fredletsTravels
http://www.fredletsTravels.com