PDA

View Full Version : Laundry Stuff Sack Questions

nolegrl
06-30-2018, 06:50 AM
The laundry stuff sack has caught my eye, but I have a few questions about it:

How much bigger is the 45 vs the 30 in terms of what you can fit? If I'm looking to pack socks (ankle athletic) and underwear (ladies small) for 7 days (1 of each for 9 days to bring extra), which would be best? Sizewise, I'm assuming, if you don't fill the 45, it'll squish down? I do have an Aeronaut 45, but I'd also be using this bag in other backpacks as well, so I'd like it to be versatile.

Does any odor from the dirty side "leak" into the clean side? That's probably my biggest concern with a bag like this.

Is it worth the $45? I know that's subjective, but considering laundry bags can be had for free (grocery sack, hotel room bags) or very cheap (dry sacks), they're asking quite a bit for essentially a laundry bag. I know it is somewhat dual purpose by being both a packing cube and a laundry sack and keeping the same volume throughout your trip, but is that enough of a difference to justify the cost?

melminimalist
06-30-2018, 07:09 AM
I bought it for my bf for his birthday, the A45 laundry stuff sack, he is a runner and when we go on vacation he often runs every day, therefore needs 3-4 running outfits. We usually do laundry while on vacation, but he needed something to contain the smell and leftover dampness that may not have completely dried. We went to Montreal for 10 days and he said it worked great. So, 6'2" man's XL 4 running outfits (tops, bottoms, socks, running jacket, running long sleeve shirt).

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Dancingphysicist
06-30-2018, 09:30 AM
I have two A30 laundry stuff sacks. I use them in my A45, and am considering getting the A45 version. For me, they contain the smell well, and keep moisture and wetness well isolated. Whether it is worth it or not is highly subjective. It is definitely a premium packing experience that is worth it for me, but the same trade off may not apply for you.

Things I like:
* These hold their shape and fit various TB bags so well. It is efficient how they use space.
* I like the double-ended structure, and the ability to just stuff things in. It makes it easier to contain my underwear, socks, and other items.
* I never need to unpack my underwear and socks, and they never end up all over the place when I travel. It also make packing and repacking easy.

I’ve found plastic bags and other laundry bags don’t keep their shape, and things fall out. The double-sided nature prevents the need to keep track of multiple clean/dirty bags that I find awkward to pack. The laundry stuff sacks work the way that my packing brain works, and I love them. My wife, on the other hand, doesn’t use them as much because she hates having to dig through the sack to find a particular article of clothing. Depending on the situation she will use one for the double-sided clean/dirty convenience.

Also, they are so well constructed that I imagine they could survive a minor apocalypse. If a major apocalypse ever comes around, I’m sure Tom will just offer a 1050 Ballistic version.

fredlet
06-30-2018, 01:09 PM
I [emoji171] my laundry stuff sack. I start off with socks and undies in one side and have my swimsuit on the other.
Eventually all the dirty stuff migrates to one side and then my swimsuit, which has been pulled out for the duration of the trip) gets put back into the clean side to travel home (whether it gets used or not. If it gets used it gets rinsed out and hopefully dry by the time I leave.)

I use my A30 laundry sack for both my Aeronaut and my Synapse 25. Fits nicely in both.

fredletsTravels
http://www.fredletsTravels.com
#TeamUltraviolet

G42
06-30-2018, 04:58 PM
I like the new double sided laundry cubes vs the stuff sacks. I find it easier to see & keep organized in the rectangle.

nolegrl
06-30-2018, 05:02 PM
I like the new double sided laundry cubes vs the stuff sacks. I find it easier to see & keep organized in the rectangle.I was looking as those as well as an alternative. Since I plan to just throw in socks and underwear, I'm not too concerned about being able to see everything. If I was looking to pack clothes, I would definitely go for the cubes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

moriond
06-30-2018, 10:01 PM
Hi @nolegrl,

As far as size goes, the capacity of the TLSS (Travel Laundry Stuff Sack) for the A45 is 9 liters (nearly half the capacity of your Synapse 19), while that of the A30 is 5 liters. It's mostly in the diameter, but also in the larger height, which is why the TLSS for A30 can more easily fit into a larger range of bags without having to squash it. (There are pictures in the Laundry stuff sacks are here (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/8063-laundry-stuff-sacks-here.html) thread that show a filled TLSS for A30 in comparison with bags like the Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Synapse, Daylight Backpack, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Swift, etc.

To get an idea of the TLSS for A45, you might check @Badger's The Travel Laundry Stuff Sack as ultralight overnight bag (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/8244-travel-laundry-stuff-sack-ultralight-overnight-bag.html) thread. She uses a (regular sized) Travel Tray packed into that TLSS.

The only pictures I've taken of both sizes of TLSS (for A45 and for A30) together, are in the Smart Alec Question (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/9930-smart-alec-question.html) thread, to answer how either of these would look as part of packing a Smart Alec backpack.

HTH

moriond

nolegrl
07-01-2018, 03:53 AM
Hi @nolegrl,

As far as size goes, the capacity of the TLSS (Travel Laundry Stuff Sack) for the A45 is 9 liters (nearly half the capacity of your Synapse 19), while that of the A30 is 5 liters. It's mostly in the diameter, but also in the larger height, which is why the TLSS for A30 can more easily fit into a larger range of bags without having to squash it. (There are pictures in the Laundry stuff sacks are here (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/8063-laundry-stuff-sacks-here.html) thread that show a filled TLSS for A30 in comparison with bags like the Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Synapse, Daylight Backpack, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Swift, etc.

To get an idea of the TLSS for A45, you might check @Badger's The Travel Laundry Stuff Sack as ultralight overnight bag (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/8244-travel-laundry-stuff-sack-ultralight-overnight-bag.html) thread. She uses a (regular sized) Travel Tray packed into that TLSS.

The only pictures I've taken of both sizes of TLSS (for A45 and for A30) together, are in the Smart Alec Question (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/9930-smart-alec-question.html) thread, to answer how either of these would look as part of packing a Smart Alec backpack.

HTH

moriondThanks! It sounds like the A30 is more versatile. I may just go with the that one if I decide to get it.

G42
07-01-2018, 07:12 AM
I was looking as those as well as an alternative. Since I plan to just throw in socks and underwear, I'm not too concerned about being able to see everything. If I was looking to pack clothes, I would definitely go for the cubes.

I started with one laundry cube for socks, undies, bra... And recently bought a second for workout clothes and t-shirts. I like that the rectangular shape Tetris's into my bags. With that being said, I usually also have a Reisenthal simple drawstring nylon laundry bag for anything large/bulky, depending on the type of trip.
Good luck!

Go Navy
07-03-2018, 07:53 AM
One thing I don't understand about the laundry stuff sack is that the product description mentions a "floating divider" between the two sides of the sack. What is a "floating divider" and how does it work?

nolegrl
07-03-2018, 08:03 AM
One thing I don't understand about the laundry stuff sack is that the product description mentions a "floating divider" between the two sides of the sack. What is a "floating divider" and how does it work?I don't have one, but my understanding is that it just means that it's not rigid and it moves depending on how much you stuff in on one side or the other.

G42
07-03-2018, 09:14 AM
I don't have one, but my understanding is that it just means that it's not rigid and it moves depending on how much you stuff in on one side or the other.

That's correct...the divider has sufficient material to float against the direction of the load... so you'd theoretically start with all clean clothes on one side and as you travel, the dirty moves to the other side but the total amount of clothes stays the same, so the total volume of the bag/cube stays the same.

moriond
07-03-2018, 04:32 PM
One thing I don't understand about the laundry stuff sack is that the product description mentions a "floating divider" between the two sides of the sack. What is a "floating divider" and how does it work?

Hi @GoNavy,

If you use the link I gave above to the Laundry Stuff Sacks are here thread, specifically, if you start at my post #16
https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/8063-laundry-stuff-sacks-here-post74354.html#post74354
you'll be able to see how these work. I'll excerpt a bit (I'm leaving out earlier discussion in answer to how this fits with a variety of specific bags, and that omits some text and pictures at the beginning; there are many more pictures in the thread that give comparisons with other accessories)

The Laundry Stuff Sack is a Cylinder that looks roughly like two Yarn Stuff Sacks placed end to end. (The sections are slightly smaller in diameter than a YSS, but that's the closest size). The next picture shows a top view with the center divider pushed all the way to one end. The "bottom" of the sack sits 2" or 50 mm below the end of the "cylinder" with a circular cross section.
https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/7636d1406389615-laundry-stuff-sacks-here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406389666-201847-jpg

Here's the ruler view of the depth:
https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/7637d1406389893-laundry-stuff-sacks-here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406389943-755013-jpg

The view from the other end of the cylinder shows the open sack, with a black piping circular border at the mid-point of the cylinder, and another circular border that marks the "bottom" of the sack that was shown in the previous view, now seen from the other side.
https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/7638d1406390137-laundry-stuff-sacks-here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406390185-976122-jpg

Here are some more size reference pictures with the Ultraviolet YSS at the right front, the Steel Small YSS in front center, and the Wasabi Size 3 Travel Stuff sack at front left. You can see the YSS is slightly bigger than each half section of the A30 Laundry Stuff Sack.
https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/7639d1406390366-laundry-stuff-sacks-here-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406390417-139207-jpg

If you look closely at the first picture with the cylindrical UV Laundry Stuff Sack for the A30, you should be able to see that the top 2" section appears lighter. That's because the pushed in sack divider stops 2" from either end of the Laundry Stuff Sack Cylinder.

HTH. moriond

In general, there's a lot of information on new products in the threads that are started when these items first debut. Particularly in the older threads, you won't necessarily see this in pictures at the start of a thread, because the original poster will just be the first person to receive the product (in this case, @GoStanford got a fast shipment because her proximity to the store let her get the product early, and she graciously posted initial pictures for everyone). When the forum mods add to these threads, they/we try to anticipate and answer questions new users will have -- but in this case I didn't receive an ordered TLSS until much later, so my posts and pictures show up later in the thread. But, in general, if you take a look at threads linked in our post answers, you're likely to find pictures and text that will answer many of your questions.

HTH

moriond

ETA: The first 2 pictures show the TLSS viewed with the floating divider pushed all the way to the top end. It's like a wind sock. The third picture shows the TLSS with the floating divider pushed all the way to the bottom. There's basically an inner cylinder that is about half the height of the whole TLSS that can be pushed to one end or the other -- or anywhere in between. The edge stops about 2" form the ends of the outer cylinder so you can pull the drawstring to close it.

franzdom
07-04-2018, 10:59 AM
I was looking as those as well as an alternative. Since I plan to just throw in socks and underwear, I'm not too concerned about being able to see everything. If I was looking to pack clothes, I would definitely go for the cubes.

Laundry cubes? I have been off the forum for a couple weeks traveling. Did I miss something?

G42
07-04-2018, 11:02 AM
Laundry cubes? I have been off the forum for a couple weeks traveling. Did I miss something?

Cubes, vs tubes/sacks

https://www.tombihn.com/products/packing-cube-aeronaut-30?variant=6900211777599

A30 & 45 sizes, plus the new Aether Island colour :)

franzdom
07-04-2018, 11:18 AM
I had not noticed laundry cubes. They are new?

G42
07-04-2018, 11:37 AM
I had not noticed laundry cubes. They are new?

Yup, back in March

https://blog.tombihn.com/new-packing-cubes

EDIT: Note that they also, not long after, discontinued the Aether Carbon material :(

Go Navy
07-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Hi @GoNavy,

If you use the link I gave above to the Laundry Stuff Sacks are here thread, specifically, if you start at my post #16
https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/8063-laundry-stuff-sacks-here-post74354.html#post74354
you'll be able to see how these work. I'll excerpt a bit (I'm leaving out earlier discussion in answer to how this fits with a variety of specific bags, and that omits some text and pictures at the beginning; there are many more pictures in the thread that give comparisons with other accessories)

In general, there's a lot of information on new products in the threads that are started when these items first debut. Particularly in the older threads, you won't necessarily see this in pictures at the start of a thread, because the original poster will just be the first person to receive the product (in this case, @GoStanford got a fast shipment because her proximity to the store let her get the product early, and she graciously posted initial pictures for everyone). When the forum mods add to these threads, they/we try to anticipate and answer questions new users will have -- but in this case I didn't receive an ordered TLSS until much later, so my posts and pictures show up later in the thread. But, in general, if you take a look at threads linked in our post answers, you're likely to find pictures and text that will answer many of your questions.

HTH

moriond

ETA: The first 2 pictures show the TLSS viewed with the floating divider pushed all the way to the top end. It's like a wind sock. The third picture shows the TLSS with the floating divider pushed all the way to the bottom. There's basically an inner cylinder that is about half the height of the whole TLSS that can be pushed to one end or the other -- or anywhere in between. The edge stops about 2" form the ends of the outer cylinder so you can pull the drawstring to close it.

Excellent explanation. Now I realize what I'm looking at. At first I thought there was no divider; then I thought it was a fixed divider and one end of the tube was not as deep as the other. It's a very clever design. I like it even though I don't own one..yet. Logically, if I fill it up with clean stuff, the same stuff when dirty will fit in!

jessmakes
10-01-2018, 03:09 PM
Cubes, vs tubes/sacks

https://www.tombihn.com/products/packing-cube-aeronaut-30?variant=6900211777599

A30 & 45 sizes, plus the new Aether Island colour :)

What gorgeous pink color is that halcyon?!?

melminimalist
10-01-2018, 03:10 PM
What gorgeous pink color is that halcyon?!?Ultraviolet, but it's actually purple, just looks pinkish in pics.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

jessmakes
10-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Thank you!

tress29
10-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Ultraviolet, but it's actually purple, just looks pinkish in pics.
It’s my favorite too!

nolegrl
10-01-2018, 05:43 PM
I had forgotten about this thread and I don't see that I had posted back about the laundry sack I tried.

I ordered the A30 stuff sack and it didn't work how I had thought it would. The drawstring closed from the side instead of the top so it left a gap after closing. I compared it to my current laundry drawstring bag and that cinches from the top so it closes completely. I'm not worried about thing falling out, but I'm worried about keeping smells in. Ideally I'd want to bag to fully close so it doesn't smell up the rest of my suitcase.

I'm waiting for the nws laundry cubes to come back in stock and I'll try that next.

jessmakes
10-01-2018, 07:48 PM
I had forgotten about this thread and I don't see that I had posted back about the laundry sack I tried.

I ordered the A30 stuff sack and it didn't work how I had thought it would. The drawstring closed from the side instead of the top so it left a gap after closing. I compared it to my current laundry drawstring bag and that cinches from the top so it closes completely. I'm not worried about thing falling out, but I'm worried about keeping smells in. Ideally I'd want to bag to fully close so it doesn't smell up the rest of my suitcase.

I'm waiting for the nws laundry cubes to come back in stock and I'll try that next.

The laundry cubes are pretty slick. I know they talk about putting the dirty clothes on the mesh side where they can get some air, but I'd be more inclined to put the clean stuff on the mesh side and the dirty on the sealed side.

G42
10-01-2018, 08:15 PM
The laundry cubes are pretty slick. I know they talk about putting the dirty clothes on the mesh side where they can get some air, but I'd be more inclined to put the clean stuff on the mesh side and the dirty on the sealed side.

Not sure where that was... the product page says: "Clean clothes go in the Mesh side and dirty clothes go in the Aether side."

That's how I'm using mine...clean with the mesh, dirty fully enclosed in the aether side
:)

jessmakes
10-01-2018, 08:17 PM
Not sure where that was... the product page says: "Clean clothes go in the Mesh side and dirty clothes go in the Aether side."

That's how I'm using mine...clean with the mesh, dirty fully enclosed in the aether side
:)

I might have been hallucinating... I'm high on Tom.

bouncing
10-11-2018, 09:01 AM
I did not know about the Laundry Packing Cubes. I love my laundry sack thing for socks and underwear, but I had no idea this was now a thing elsewhere.

Next time I need packing cubes, I know what I'm getting.

Oh, and I have not noticed any leaking scents between the sides of mine. It's a pretty sturdy material for an organizer. But maybe if your stuff really stinks, I could imagine it stinking up your whole bag, not just the stuff sack. But that's unavoidable.

nolegrl
10-11-2018, 09:21 AM
I did not know about the Laundry Packing Cubes. I love my laundry sack thing for socks and underwear, but I had no idea this was now a thing elsewhere.

Next time I need packing cubes, I know what I'm getting.

Oh, and I have not noticed any leaking scents between the sides of mine. It's a pretty sturdy material for an organizer. But maybe if your stuff really stinks, I could imagine it stinking up your whole bag, not just the stuff sack. But that's unavoidable.Thanks for the info! I picked up the laundry cubes last week, one of each Aeronaut 30 size. I have an A45, but I think the A30 cubes will be more versatile for other bags.

They seem perfect and since I use cubes anyway when I pack, it should fit better in my suitcase.

I usually only throw socks and underwear in a laundry bag since I'll re-wear my clothes and come back with all dirty clothes that need to be washed. I imagine I'll use the smaller cube for that instead of the laundry bag. The larger cube, I'm still debating about. I guess I could use it as a normal packing cube and it'll be nice to have the option of a laundry section to put clothes in that know I won't wear again for the duration of the trip.

Go Navy
10-11-2018, 10:15 AM
I couldn't find Laundry Packing Cubes on the Tom Bihn website until I went to Aeronaut 45 Cubes. Aha! There they were, buried under size choices.

I just did a ten day trip, in and out of six different hotels, using the Bihn laundry stuff sack. I packed a roll on and a Co-Pilot. I found that the Bihn laundry stuff sack doesn't work for me because its cylindrical bulk made packing my roll on more difficult. I might have to try a packing cube next.

bouncing
10-11-2018, 11:19 AM
So this is the one (https://www.tombihn.com/products/travel-laundry-stuff-sack?variant=16409804615) I use my with my Aeronaut 30 for socks and underwear. And maybe a swimsuit, some T-shirts, or something. The cylindrical shape is supposed to fit nicely into the side pocket of my Aeronaut 30, which it does, but I even use it on other bags or other places.

I find its cylindrical shape works well for socks, underwear, and t-shirts. I roll my boxer-briefs, t-shirts, and swiming trunks into little cylinders themselves and pack them in there upright. Socks just go in however. Not everything stays organized, but it's fine; dirty is separate from clean and you don't need to organize your socks that much. It's plenty big for lots of stuff -- at least for a man who doesn't need bras -- so you don't need to be super-efficient about it.

Which brings me to its only arguable drawback for me. Since I can certainly pack 7-12 days worth of socks+underwear in this thing, I find myself doing exactly that. It's only for socks and underwear, I might as well fill it up, right? And it fits so nicely into my Aeronaut's side pocket, might as well have it live there, right?

In reality, an entire side pocket of socks+underwear on my Aeronaut is overpacking. To put it another way, my variant is 5 liters, and I should not be bringing 5 liters worth of underwear; it's too much. But I find myself doing it, since sort of by using it to organize socks/underwear, I'm allocating 5 liters to socks and underwear. Granted, I can just not fill it up all the way and use that space for something else, but that's not the automatic thing to do.

jessmakes
10-21-2018, 06:30 PM
Just broke in my large laundry cube for the first time - LOVED IT. The laundry stuff sack is clever, but as it really isn't organized (especially on the clean side), it just didn't appeal to me. I used my large cube to pack tank tops, socks, underwear and leggings on my trip and found that making sure my dirty stuff was unwadded (what, that's a word, right?) was the key to making the best use of the space, as well as evenly distributing the bulk. I normally roll/ball socks & underwear, but think that in the future, it might work better to lay them flat so that there aren't any "thick" areas. Two thumbs up!

fredlet
11-28-2018, 01:05 PM
I [emoji171] mine! I donít use it in the side pocket but it helps form the shape in my main section of the A30 - I konmari fold my clotheshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181128/751cfaa3127b65abaf62df7e237373c5.jpg
I use it as the bottom packing item in my Synapse if I travel with it.

fredletsTravels
http://www.fredletsTravels.com
#TeamUltraviolet

PrimalMama
02-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Shut. Up.
how did I not know about the laundry CUBE? I've had the laundry stuff sack for awhile, but I find it hard to pack much/pack neatly in it.... a cube however...
*adds to ever-growing order*

G42
02-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Shut. Up.
how did I not know about the laundry CUBE? I've had the laundry stuff sack for awhile, but I find it hard to pack much/pack neatly in it.... a cube however...
*adds to ever-growing order*

Not trying to enable or anything (!) but I have 3 of the A30 ones, one in each colour so I know what is in each one.

For a longer trip, I put socks/bra/undies in one, workout clothes & PJs in another, and shirts in the third...if it's a shorter trip with less stuff, I use two.

I have both an A30 and A45 but have all the cubes sized to the A30 so I can use them easily for both. There are plenty of other ways to fill the 'extra' space if I need to in the A45.

PrimalMama
02-13-2019, 12:46 PM
Not trying to enable or anything (!) but I have 3 of the A30 ones, one in each colour so I know what is in each one.

For a longer trip, I put socks/bra/undies in one, workout clothes & PJs in another, and shirts in the third...if it's a shorter trip with less stuff, I use two.

I have both an A30 and A45 but have all the cubes sized to the A30 so I can use them easily for both. There are plenty of other ways to fill the 'extra' space if I need to in the A45.Consider me enabled. I'm just not sure how wild to go [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk