PDA

View Full Version : Aeronaut Bag On UK Tour

Zephyrnoid
07-13-2008, 02:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/zephyrnoid/TB_AER_3.jpg
As always, I managed to stuff an amazing amount of stuff into my Aeronaut. This trip involved a US>UK>Switzerland>UK>US itinerary. While in London, I lived out of the Aeronaut for 4 days plus 2 days in Cambridge. That's a total of 6 days (5 nights). I also carried a Brain Cell with 17"Powerbook as my travel computer.
New Lessons Learned:
1) Avoid London's Heathrow Airport as delays/cancellations are far more frequent than via London's Gatwick airport.
2) The Aeronaut's hide-away backpack straps allow you to convert it from shoulder carry to back carry. This in turn allows it to better withstand Heathrow's legendary 2 hr Lines without the traveler developing severe shoulder and back pain.
3) Avoid trying to lug anything that does not have wheels on travel.
Picture below tells the story.
Frame 1) - Serene wait at Washington Dulles Airport (IAD)
Frame 2)- LON>GVA Cancelled, Line up to get re-ticketed (1.25 Hrs)
Frame 3)- Earlier that evening- checking the Aeronaut's carry-on worthiness.
Frame 4) - Second line for Hotel Vouchers (45Mins)
Frame 5) - Line for the Hotel Bus (40Mins)
Frame 6) - Airport Hotel
Frame 7) - Free Dinner that was more insult than nutrition.
Without access to luggage carts, I had to hand carry a huge box that I lugged along with me. I managed to rig a DIY carry handle for it but it was still very unwieldy. Were it not for the back-pack-ability of my Aeronaut, I would have never managed on this trip. To be able to pack 6 days of travel stuff makes the Aeronaut my Go-To Carry-On bag every time I travel. The Brain Cell was also a champ- taking a fair bit of abuse, as 50 fellow travelers and me jockeyed for good positioning in lines and to board/disembark the bus.
I shared one Absolute strap between the Aeronaut and the Brain Cell.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/zephyrnoid/BA_Heath.jpg

Zephyrnoid
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
PS: To the Heathrow Security person that confiscated my Quince Jelly out of the Aeronaut...
Damn Your Eyes!
Hope you had a nice tea with it!

Darcy
07-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Awesome pictures and report, Zephyrnoid! Thank you!

Darn about the Quince Jelly! What DOES happen to those confiscated goodies?

aiethabell
07-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Uh, Darcy, if you really want to know, get on the 194 some day and go to Federal Way. Enough Customs/TSA agents will get on the bus at Sea-Tac for you to ask one if you're on for a shift change. Oh, it's depressing.....

Oh, Zephyrnoid: Love that sizer-box pic!

Darcy
07-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Uh, Darcy, if you really want to know, get on the 194 some day and go to Federal Way. Enough Customs/TSA agents will get on the bus at Sea-Tac for you to ask one if you're on for a shift change. Oh, it's depressing.....!

Yikes!!

Hey, aiethabell -- you're local. Have you come by and been given a tour of our factory yet? If not and you'd like one, email me and we'll arrange something.

Zephyrnoid
07-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Well. Pocket knives, Multitools and the such, end up on e-bay and the proceeds are used to distribute raises to the airport staff ( tidy solution huh?). Quince Jelly (hard to find in USA) and other edible goodies, probably go straight into those greedy security people's tummies at Tea Time! Grrrrrr!

Awesome pictures and report, Zephyrnoid! Thank you!

Darn about the Quince Jelly! What DOES happen to those confiscated goodies?

Zephyrnoid
10-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Sorry 'bout the missing pics folks. Some nasty trolls have been chasing me around in the real worls, using my overly exposed Internet pics as a guide for 'whom to look for'. Sorry.