PDA

View Full Version : Small Double Organizer Pouch vs Clear Wallet

nolegrl
09-03-2018, 11:25 AM
I was thinking about getting one of the clear wallets as a flat, clipable, travel wallet. It would only need to carry maybe 3 cards max, some US cash, and my driver's license.

I was reading up on the wallets here on the forum and someone on a thread I found recommended a small double organizer pouch instead due to the wallet inserts being a bit floppy.

Does anyone have both and can recommend which would be best for my use-case? Also, pictures of the capacity would be greatly appreciated, it's hard to tell what all can fit from the website photos. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cazique
09-03-2018, 11:45 AM
See my post here (#6) (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/13828-mini-cop-pocket-pouch-train-subway-tickets-post163430.html#post163430) for a picture of the payload in my COW, though unfortunately I don't have a DOP to compare.

I've definitely found the inserts in the COW to be a tiny bit flimsy -- but I like 3 pockets better than 2 (and now that I have a credit card, subway card and office access card in a little sleeve stuck to the back of my phone, I go into the wallet less). If you don't need more than 2 pockets, it may be worth trying both (and if you order just one of each, you can get the slightly-less-$ USPS shipping).

nukediver
09-03-2018, 11:45 AM
I don't have any pictures but I can give you my experience using both as a wallet/travel wallet.

Clear Organizer Wallet:

I have found that this only works, for me at least, if I am really pushing the minimalist thing. Which is to say it didn't really work for me as either my regular wallet or as a travel wallet. It doesn't hold an awful lot of bills, and I also found that the dividers were a bit too floppy. But I think it would work for you if you stick to just those items you list.

Small Double Organizer Pouch:

About 6 months ago, I switched over to using the DOP as my regular wallet. I absolutely love how it works for me. I use the front pouch for driver's license, credit cards, and insurance cards. The back pocket is where I keep my bills and receipts. It's also where I toss my change if I'm in a hurry. When traveling, my passport goes in the back pocket as well. I find that I like having the extra space just in case I need it.

Since the DOP lives inside a Side Kick, which lives inside an S25, the bigger size isn't really an issue for me.

I hope this helps a bit!

threeteez
09-03-2018, 11:54 AM

I don't have the COW quite lined up on the small DOP, but it's a good bit smaller. My DOP holds way (top photo shows cards/money in back and cards in the front with fabric liner) more than your list and I sometimes use it as a purselet with the handle loop. The COW is probably fine for your needs.

tress29
09-03-2018, 11:57 AM
My COW fits in the outside pocket of my SE, but I’m guessing the DOP won’t...

sujo
09-03-2018, 12:06 PM
I've used the Clear Organizer Wallet for over 4 years now. It has been my only wallet and I bought specifically to use without a bag. I have more than 3 credit cards, my license, insurance cards, cash, and a house key. Fits it all. I have a small Double Organizer Pouch but I find them too big to use as a wallet. I'm short and have small hands, so the COW is easier to grip. It also fits better into my Side Effect, Travel Cubelet and Small Cafe Bag. I can also carry it and my phone (iPhone SE) together without being unmanageable.

And for what it's worth, the COW would be my choice if I could only have one Tom Bihn item. (followed closely by a Side Effect)

threeteez
09-03-2018, 12:14 PM
My COW fits in the outside pocket of my SE, but I’m guessing the DOP won’t...

I tried my small DOP in the outside pocket of a SE and it fits. Takes up nearly all of the space and I had to tuck it up under the upper flap so I think that kind of negates easy access. I'm carrying a Travel Cubelet more often these days, but I used to put it in the main section when I carried a SE.

nolegrl
09-03-2018, 12:19 PM
I tried my small DOP in the outside pocket of a SE and it fits. Takes up nearly all of the space and I had to tuck it up under the upper flap so I think that kind of negates easy access. I'm carrying a Travel Cubelet more often these days, but I used to put it in the main section when I carried a SE.

Thanks! One of my uses actually will be to use it in a travel cubelet. I use one on the weekends and my current wallet just barely fits in. Does the small DOP fit in it ok? That's the smallest "purse" I own, so I won't have any issues getting it to fit into my other bags.

nolegrl
09-03-2018, 12:20 PM
I've used the Clear Organizer Wallet for over 4 years now. It has been my only wallet and I bought specifically to use without a bag. I have more than 3 credit cards, my license, insurance cards, cash, and a house key. Fits it all. I have a small Double Organizer Pouch but I find them too big to use as a wallet. I'm short and have small hands, so the COW is easier to grip. It also fits better into my Side Effect, Travel Cubelet and Small Cafe Bag. I can also carry it and my phone (iPhone SE) together without being unmanageable.

And for what it's worth, the COW would be my choice if I could only have one Tom Bihn item. (followed closely by a Side Effect)

Thanks! That's a high recommendation considering how many things TB offers! And I totally forget about insurance/AAA cards...can't drive without those, so those will need to go in too.

nolegrl
09-03-2018, 12:22 PM

I don't have the COW quite lined up on the small DOP, but it's a good bit smaller. My DOP holds way (top photo shows cards/money in back and cards in the front with fabric liner) more than your list and I sometimes use it as a purselet with the handle loop. The COW is probably fine for your needs.Thanks for the pictures! Thats a great idea for the fabric liner, where did you get it? I had planned to only keep my driver's license in the clear pockets, but I may decide to change that once I get it.

nolegrl
09-03-2018, 12:27 PM
I don't have any pictures but I can give you my experience using both as a wallet/travel wallet.

Clear Organizer Wallet:

I have found that this only works, for me at least, if I am really pushing the minimalist thing. Which is to say it didn't really work for me as either my regular wallet or as a travel wallet. It doesn't hold an awful lot of bills, and I also found that the dividers were a bit too floppy. But I think it would work for you if you stick to just those items you list.

Small Double Organizer Pouch:

About 6 months ago, I switched over to using the DOP as my regular wallet. I absolutely love how it works for me. I use the front pouch for driver's license, credit cards, and insurance cards. The back pocket is where I keep my bills and receipts. It's also where I toss my change if I'm in a hurry. When traveling, my passport goes in the back pocket as well. I find that I like having the extra space just in case I need it.

Since the DOP lives inside a Side Kick, which lives inside an S25, the bigger size isn't really an issue for me.

I hope this helps a bit!

Thanks for the comparison. I had forgotten about insurance/AAA cards, I'll need those in there as well, so the organizer wallet is looking like it may be a bit tight. My only requirement is that it can fit into the travel cubelet (my smallest purse), so size isn't a huge deal for me and more room is always better than just enough.

sujo
09-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Both will fit in a Travel Cubelet and can both fit together in a Travel Cubelet, which I've done before. So if you need the room, the Double Organizer Pouch will fit. I think it fits better in a Travel Cubelet than in a Side Effect because of the vertical orientation, but that's just me.

threeteez
09-03-2018, 01:09 PM
Thats a great idea for the fabric liner, where did you get it?

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/11434-cow-vs-traditional-clutch-wallet-post129914.html#post129914

That's the link to a pic of the DOP with the liner. I made it to cover my cards in the front section. It sometimes will shift/get bunched up a little, but overall it's been fine.

I put the DOP vertically in the TC. There's enough room for my work ID/attached work keys, key strap, pen and I can usually get my Ray-Ban sunglasses case in there too, but it's crammed in there. I've only got hand sanitizer, lip balm and a tiny tube of hand cream in the outside pocket.

nolegrl
09-10-2018, 05:23 AM
Ok, so review time. I purchased an organizer wallet, a small double pouch (both linen) and a medium double pouch (aubergene).

The medium goes in my car's glove box for my insurance papers and parking permit. Works great, and now I don't need to be paranoid about not knowing where that stuff is in my glove box.

I did a "test pack" of the wallet and it works well. It's different from the folio wallets I'm used to, but it holds all my cards and I can find the one I want easy enough. I do see the issue with the "floppiness" of the divider. It occasionally got folded over when inserting a card back, but it wasn't too bad and keeps my credit cards and insurance cards separate.

I realized after packing it that it didn't have room for the other misc stuff I keep in my wallet like change, stamps and coupons. So that's what I decided to use the small double organizer pouch for. So it's a two wallet system, but if I'm in a hurry, I really only need the organizer wallet with my cards and insurance info.