PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic DLBC vs Ballistic Pilot

windy city red
09-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Hi all, I'm trying to decide between the two bags for office carry (and some work travel) and can't make up my mind. I currently own 2 Tumi shoulder bags that were gifted to me 10 years ago, 1 ballistic, 1 leather - both incredibly heavy. So, I need a change and thus have a couple of questions that I hope current owners of these bags will answer to help me narrow my choice (or not...lol).

1. Will the DLBC or Pilot stand on its own? Let's say I have a cellphone, bunch of keys, wallet in the front pocket, with a normal size notebook and kindle in the back pocket or main compartment. I did think about the Stowaway as it looks like its wide enough to stand on its own, but the multiple zips and 11-inch laptop capacity is turning me away. Plus...I'm unsure about the backpack thing.

2. Travelling. I will likely bring these when travelling for work and it bothers me a little that there isnt a pocket to slide the DLBC through the rollaboard handles. But the DLBC looks so light and compact but professional, maybe I could just wrap the shoulder strap around the rollaboard handles? I do like the space afforded by the Pilot, it looks like I can put at least a spare shirt to change into for long haul flights.

3. Whats your overall experience after using one or the other on trips? I potentially see myself two bagging it with (a) my current S25; or (b) a soon to be acquired A45 or (c) a rollaboard. Love the fact that the DLBC can be packed into all these bags or at least (b) and (c), and I have read numerous posts where users swear by the usefulness of the DLBC during travel. Am I underestimating the attraction of the DLBC?

Any help is much appreciated! I live in Asia and so test packing will not be possible...

LordAnubis
09-05-2018, 09:15 AM
I have had a pilot for a few years. Itís awesome! Yes It does stand by itself. Yes has plenty of space for clothes, even with my laptop in the back compartment. Yes I was using it with an A45 for a few years and just found it was too much space so downsized to A30.

No experience with briefcase sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWeaves
09-05-2018, 10:20 AM
I've actually travelled for 3 days using only my Pilot (and not bringing a laptop), but it holds my 13" MacBook Pro easily with room to spare when I use it in briefcase mode. Yes, it will stand on its own. Yes, it will slip over the handle of a rollaboard.

Have you considered the Cadet? It's wider, taller, but narrower than the Pilot, and also will slip over the handle of a rollaboard. I just ordered one to see in person, but it hasn't arrived yet. I want to compare it to my Pilot.

I didn't like the DLBC. It was too soft and floppy and the pockets didn't work for me.

spooneb
09-05-2018, 01:41 PM
The DLBC can stand on its own but keep in mind it has no real structure so i think it depends on the carry. Here is mine with my laptop in cache, a full-but-not-stuffed SE sitting on itís short edge and a large sunglasses case. I also have a steno pad in the back pocket and a pen pouch in the front pocket.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180905/90fc5f99ba1d56554643abdfa35da28c.jpg

catherder
09-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Highly recommend the Pilot with the absolute strap for air travel. It goes over the handle of a rollaboard, will *stand* under a plane seat leaving lots of room for your legs, and will hold a change of clothes in addition to your laptop. I love the way the slightly-shiny 1050 ballistic looks - very professional. It doesn't look very large, and is great for small everyday loads, but it holds more than it looks when you want it to. I've taken it as my only bag for an overnight trip (chronicled in one of my posts here).

The main issue with the Pilot is that it won't hold most 15" laptops.

windy city red
09-05-2018, 10:35 PM
I've actually travelled for 3 days using only my Pilot (and not bringing a laptop), but it holds my 13" MacBook Pro easily with room to spare when I use it in briefcase mode. Yes, it will stand on its own. Yes, it will slip over the handle of a rollaboard.

Have you considered the Cadet? It's wider, taller, but narrower than the Pilot, and also will slip over the handle of a rollaboard. I just ordered one to see in person, but it hasn't arrived yet. I want to compare it to my Pilot.

I didn't like the DLBC. It was too soft and floppy and the pockets didn't work for me.

Thanks for your opinion on the DLBC and Pilot! I am not considering the Cadet because its too tall for me - I feel that there's alot of wasted real estate at the top. It is smart looking though but not for me.

windy city red
09-05-2018, 10:42 PM
The DLBC can stand on its own but keep in mind it has no real structure so i think it depends on the carry. Here is mine with my laptop in cache, a full-but-not-stuffed SE sitting on it’s short edge and a large sunglasses case. I also have a steno pad in the back pocket and a pen pouch in the front pocket.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180905/90fc5f99ba1d56554643abdfa35da28c.jpg

Nice picture!

Is that ballistic or cordura? I cant tell! And is the Absolute necessary or is it just because of the carrying load you have here?

windy city red
09-05-2018, 10:43 PM
And thanks for all the replies!

spooneb
09-06-2018, 04:27 AM
Is that ballistic or cordura? I cant tell! And is the Absolute necessary or is it just because of the carrying load you have here?

525 ballistic in Olive. I tend to move that OpTech strap which is very similar to the Absolute to any bag Iím shoulder carrying because itís so darn comfy and grippy.

BWeaves
09-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Thanks for your opinion on the DLBC and Pilot! I am not considering the Cadet because its too tall for me - I feel that there's alot of wasted real estate at the top. It is smart looking though but not for me.

I just got the Cadet today. It's not for me either. The size and shape of the Pilot I already own works better for me. The Cadet is going back, but I did want to see it in person, so now I have. Also, I was surprised how small the front center pocket is on the Cadet. I thought it went down at least most of the way, but it's only about 3 inches deep. It will just hold my Iphone 5S sideways.