PDA

View Full Version : Best Minimal Backpack for Conferences/conventions/trade shows

TravelGearJunkie
09-08-2018, 12:49 AM
I am just getting started as a part time travel agent, eventually going to go full time and a lot of what I'll be doing is conferences and trade shows as well as tours. I don't have an office and I don't go to meetings, so a more traditional briefcase feels impractical as it can be a lot of walking and usually means I need to take everything with me for the whole day in one bag. I travel very minimally. I really only need a few electronics like my phone, laptop and stuff to charge them, wallet and keys, jacket, notebook, water bottle and possibly a lunch. Anyone who does events like conventions and such knows you have to leave extra room for the free crap you are handed and the cool stuff you might buy, but how much is too much and how small can I get away with? Because it is so much walking around, a backpack really feels like the only option especially because I don't like a ton of weight on just one shoulder, but I'm open to be convinced.

Bags I was thinking about were the Luminary 10 or hold out for the 14, or possibly the Synapse 19? I really want to have something that is versatile and could even be a weekend bag for my super minimalist travel style, but that is really a bonus. I really can't sacrifice being able to carry it comfortably all day long. Oh and I'm already planning on buying a WF soon as my actual travel bag, so if it could pair well with that it would be even better.

BigBadD
09-08-2018, 03:05 AM
If wanting a backpack how about a Daylight Backpack? Itís light-weight and minimal in compartments and pockets, but decent sized for the type of contents you mention.

I have similar work and outside-of-work activity usage and range of contents and find I alternate between Daylight Backpack, Pop Tote and even a Large Shopping Bag. If it involves a bit of walking or public transport then Daylight Backpack is mainly my preference - even in work situations it fits in. If just going from car into meetings or activities then Pop Tote works well. I was just preparing for theatre activities this afternoon and the Large Shopping Bag (Black 210 ballistic) matched my casual needs.

G42
09-08-2018, 05:29 AM
I'd go for the S19... sounds like you'll be carrying a standard set of items that you could try to use the pockets for and leave the main compartment (which collapses nicely when not filled btw) for the spontaneous items and the weekend trips.

melminimalist
09-08-2018, 08:37 AM
S19 would be way better for a laptop then either luminary. It can definitely do double duty as a minimal travel bag, get the framesheet, you will thank me later!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

ifer
09-08-2018, 08:59 AM
I've gone to trade shows and conferences with both the S19 and Daylight Backpack. Both work great, but the S19 is really a dream bag for conferences, especially when going to seminars. The front pocket organization let me access small things easily throughout the day and the built-in water bottle holder was definitely a benefit over the daylight. That said, if you're looking for something packable I'd go with the daylight in Halcyon.

TravelGearJunkie
09-08-2018, 09:00 AM
BigBadD, I was wondering about that because it could slip in a WF pretty easily and still stand alone as a travel bag itself for quick trips, but I was worried the straps weren't hearty enough for all day wear. What has been your experience with it when it is your sole bag all day long? I really love it's simplicity and the price is hard to beat.

TravelGearJunkie
09-08-2018, 09:15 AM
I've gone to trade shows and conferences with both the S19 and Daylight Backpack. Both work great, but the S19 is really a dream bag for conferences, especially when going to seminars. The front pocket organization let me access small things easily throughout the day and the built-in water bottle holder was definitely a benefit over the daylight. That said, if you're looking for something packable I'd go with the daylight in Halcyon.

Thanks for the perspective! I really can't decide between packable and organization. Maybe if I added a Freudian Slip to the DLBP? I can see that doing really well at seminars as well.

BigBadD
09-08-2018, 09:46 AM
BigBadD, I was wondering about that because it could slip in a WF pretty easily and still stand alone as a travel bag itself for quick trips, but I was worried the straps weren't hearty enough for all day wear. What has been your experience with it when it is your sole bag all day long? I really love it's simplicity and the price is hard to beat.

With DLBP moderately full, even including laptop, the straps are OK. But personally I am not wearing it all day, but taking it on/off as circumstances allow. For trips (business and holidays) I am normally using A45 as one-bag, and DLBP is packed flat in it or as personal handheld luggage. I then use DLBP at destination for daily travel. I wouldn’t plan to do serious loaded hiking with it, but for a few hours the DLBP is sufficiently practical and comfortable to carry.

BigBadD
09-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the perspective! I really can't decide between packable and organization. Maybe if I added a Freudian Slip to the DLBP? I can see that doing really well at seminars as well.

The Synapse 25 Freudian Slip fits perfectly in the DLBP. At times its added organisation can be useful.

AlaskaGirl
09-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Greetings,
I went to the Alaska State Fair last week with my Daylight Backpack. We arrived at noon and left around 7:00pm. I brought a 12 ounce water bottle, a rain jacket, a down jacket, a cliff bar, and a travel Cubelet. It all fit in the Daylight Backpack with lots of room to spare. As we walked around, I bought a few things and picked up flyers and booklets and freebies. It was very light when I started. By the end of the day I could feel the weight, but it was still comfortable and under 20 pounds. The straps are wide, so it stays comfortable even when full.

That said, I recommend the Synapse19. Is it possible for you to order both at the same time and send one back? It would allow you to try them on and test pack your items. Good luck! elisa

kathryn
09-09-2018, 10:39 AM
I use my DLBP for work meetings. Some are at hotels, but we do our big yearly meeting at McCormick Place. The size is pretty perfect for my small MacBook and assorted necessities, and it uncomfortable. However, like BigBadD, I'm not wearing it 100% of the time at work. I did however wear it all day today while touring Tokyo in the heat, and while the temps were getting to me, the backpack (with maps, phrase book, phone, pocket wifi, backup battery, water, umbrella, etc.) did not.

Also, elisa I am loling at a state fair where you need a down jacket... even here in MN that doesn't usually happen :D