PDA

View Full Version : How to nest/marsupialize/Tetris the Aeronaut 30 Large Packing Cube

Kintsugi
10-18-2018, 07:48 AM
Hi again guys,

I have looked all over the forums and I haven't quite found the answer to my specific question. I would like to know which configurations work *within* the Aeronaut 30 Large Packing Cube.

For context:
- I will be using the Halcyon S25 for three weeks of travel in Japan, springtime
- I am a 20-something female
- I will be traveling around a lot from hostel to hostel
- I will have the S25 internal frame (I have a bad back so the more support I get the better)
- I plan to use lightweight technical fabric and/or merino wool, and maybe a pair of jeans
- I don't need a lot of toiletries--just mascara, a small cream eyeshadow, sunscreen, deo, shampoo bar
- Extra pair of sneakers (I will wear lightweight hiking boots (think LL Bean knockoff) for the traveling times
- I will decide later on if my Scrubba bag is necessary (for washing clothes)--depends on how much merino I can procure in the meantime!

TB Support told me that folks like to put the A30 packing cube in the main compartment of S25 (or multiple Tristart--I like the A30 strategy better in theory.)

The reason I want to nest the cube--although at first I thought that sounds unnecessary--is I found this video (and misplaced it) of a girl who lives out of her S25 who keeps her main compartment all organized within one packing cube. I loved how easily the large cube slid out and opened up to smaller cubes! I like the idea of Tetris-ing while looking at it on the floor, instead of trying to rummage through my bag for the right cube vertically. (It sounds nitpicky I know, but in my hectic work schedule, I always try to over-organize.)

So is there an optimal configuration of smaller, structured bags fitting into the large A30 packing cube? Photos are wonderful if anyone has them on hand! Do you think the extra weight is not worth it?

Also, how much room is on top of a full A30 in the main compartment of the S25. Is there room for another organizer on top, clipped to the O-ring?

EDIT: Another question: Is there a bag besides the A30 large packing cube that fills up the space well?

Oh, how I wish I could visit the store room!

Cristina
10-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Hi again guys,

I have looked all over the forums and I haven't quite found the answer to my specific question. I would like to know which configurations work *within* the Aeronaut 30 Large Packing Cube.

For context:
- I will be using the Halcyon S25 for three weeks of travel in Japan, springtime
- I am a 20-something female
- I will be traveling around a lot from hostel to hostel
- I will have the S25 internal frame (I have a bad back so the more support I get the better)
- I plan to use lightweight technical fabric and/or merino wool, and maybe a pair of jeans
- I don't need a lot of toiletries--just mascara, a small cream eyeshadow, sunscreen, deo, shampoo bar
- Extra pair of sneakers (I will wear lightweight hiking boots (think LL Bean knockoff) for the traveling times
- I will decide later on if my Scrubba bag is necessary (for washing clothes)--depends on how much merino I can procure in the meantime!

TB Support told me that folks like to put the A30 packing cube in the main compartment of S25 (or multiple Tristart--I like the A30 strategy better in theory.)

The reason I want to nest the cube--although at first I thought that sounds unnecessary--is I found this video (and misplaced it) of a girl who lives out of her S25 who keeps her main compartment all organized within one packing cube. I loved how easily the large cube slid out and opened up to smaller cubes! I like the idea of Tetris-ing while looking at it on the floor, instead of trying to rummage through my bag for the right cube vertically. (It sounds nitpicky I know, but in my hectic work schedule, I always try to over-organize.)

So is there an optimal configuration of smaller, structured bags fitting into the large A30 packing cube? Photos are wonderful if anyone has them on hand! Do you think the extra weight is not worth it?

Also, how much room is on top of a full A30 in the main compartment of the S25. Is there room for another organizer on top, clipped to the O-ring?

EDIT: Another question: Is there a bag besides the A30 large packing cube that fills up the space well?

Oh, how I wish I could visit the store room!

I can't find the post I'm looking for right now, where I show how much space is on top of an A45 cube in the S25, but it was about the size of a small snake charmer if I recall correctly. Many of us use Google instead of the forum search, you might find some pics in the forum this way:
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=s8zIW43WLsvWkwXm36u4Ag&ins=false&q=forums.tombihn.com+packing+cube+s25

I might suggest getting an A45 or an A30 Packing Cube Backpack. When you turn it inside out it is the same size as a larger packing cube but each one has backpack straps and also a second pocket. They're great! But if you kind of want to stay packed the whole time that approach might not work for you. Unless you best your nesting large cube in one of those!! [emoji23]

AlaskaGirl
10-18-2018, 09:32 PM
Greetings,
While I don't have the A30 packing cube, I really like your nesting idea. I have used the Eagle Creek brand Specter packing cubes in the past, but I will try this on my next trip.

For loading the Synapse 25 large back section, I've put one or two Packing Cube Shoulder Bags in first, on the bottom. I tuck a Daylight Backpack and a Shop Bag, both folded flat, behind everything. The Side Kick sits on top of everything.

Good luck! elisa

backpack
10-19-2018, 07:59 AM
The Packing Cubes have been redesigned, that is probably why, Tom Bihn S25 and A30 owners have not chimed in.

Maybe they will on the weekend.

In the meantime, you cannot find the video of the person with the Tetris like Packing Cube organization send an email to customer service and ask them how many smaller Packing Cubes fit into an A30 Packing Cube. They will be happy to try on diverse configurations.

You can also ask the questions I copied from your first post.

"Also, how much room is on top of a full A30 in the main compartment of the S25. Is there room for another organizer on top, clipped to the O-ring?

EDIT: Another question: Is there a bag besides the A30 large packing cube that fills up the space well?"

The Crew (customer service) has all the Packing Cubes and the S25 at hand.

They can tell you what smaller Packing Cubes will fit best, what you carry and how they fit in the A30 Packing Cube.

You can also Skype/use live messaging Monday to Friday from 6:30am to 2:30pm Pacific Time.
I find it easier than calling because, I can have product pages opened, while I message, which enable me to visualize colors and dimensions, right in my fingertips.

I am telling you all that in an effort to help you.

I use Packing Cubes Backpacks, Packing Cube Shoulder Bags, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes and 3D Cubes to pack my items on the Tristar or A45. I got them a long time ago, before the Packing Cubes were designed in their current configuration.

I also don't have an S25, nor an A30.

Kintsugi
10-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Thank you backpack and AlaskaGirl for the helpful information! I think I may ask Customer Service; that is a good idea. I am not used to stellar customer service answering my detailed questions but TB support seems exceptional.

AlaskaGirl--yes, I was considering stocking up on more Specter since I already have some Container Store giftcards! They slide around a lot, but that shouldn't be as much of an issue if I contain them in one large cube from TB. Plus, I could take my S25 and A30 cube to the store to physically play around with it!

moriond
10-19-2018, 11:32 AM
@Kintsugi,

If you use a large Packing Cube for A30 in the Synapse 25 main compartment, you have room to store a 3D Organizer Cube on top of it - either packed to sit on top, or you can tether it by suspending it via a keystrap passed through the webbing loops at the top of the bag, with the snaphooks clipped to the O-rings of the 3DOC. If you want to secure the 3DOC to a handle loop with snap hook end instead (should you want to wrist carry some pouches or organizer pouches), you can thread the handle loop webbing through the webbing loops instead of the keystrap, and use a mini Carabiner or an S-biner to clip the webbing end of the handle loop to the O-ring on the other side of the 3D Organizer Cube.

If you look at @Badger’s thread titled “Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel”:
https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/11092-synapse-25-kitted-summer-travel.html
you’ll find that she uses the Large Packing Cube for the Aeronaut 30 in the S25. There’s a bit of discussion lower down in that thread about the alternative possibility of the medium Tri-Star Packing Cube, which goes up to near the top of the S25 — it’s taller and more rectangular, but doesn’t leave room for a 3D Organizer Cube on top..

HTH

moriond
ETA: This is a picture from the old S19 and secondary bag thread:
https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/10891-s19-secondary-bag.html

This shows how the 3DOC can be suspended with a handle loop. There’s a forum Hacks video that shows how to do this with a Keystrap for either size Synapse
https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/8805d1414086493-1-week-out-town-work-imageuploadedbytapatalk1414086646-715000-jpg

… and here is the link to the second Tom Bihn forum Hacks Video, that shows how to add a handy top pocket to your Synapse (3D Organizer Cube and Keystrap)

https://vimeo.com/160672776

kathryn
10-19-2018, 11:54 AM
I love my EC Specter cubes (Lewis'n'Clark, eBags, and REI all have similar branded cubes, some of which I've also used--I think the REI ones have held up best, and the LnC ones the worst).

I think you might have good luck using those inside the A30 cube, especially if you have some already! Not that I don't like to enable with the best of them...but, I am making a note to myself to pull those cubes out tonight to play some packing tetris, and update this post w/ more info.

Side note:
For small one-bag travel, a dark, solid colored 3DOC with the handle loop and shoulder strap is a killer accessory for me. I use mine as a makeup/toiletry kit bag, and when I travel it does double duty as a clutch purse or small day bag using the various straps. (I dump the makeup/toiletries into a Travel Tray while the 3DOC is in use elsewhere).

I wouldn't suggest marsupializing it; instead definitely try out the 3DOC suspended from the Cache loops via a keystrap as mentioned above, where it will nestle nicely above your A30 packing cube. :)

cdh
10-20-2018, 12:00 PM
@Kintsugi,

If you use a large Packing Cube for A30 in the Synapse 25 main compartment, you have room to store a 3D Organizer Cube on top of it - either packed to sit on top, or you can tether it by suspending it via a keystrap passed through the webbing loops at the top of the bag, with the snaphooks clipped to the O-rings of the 3DOC. If you want to secure the 3DOC to a handle loop with snap hook end instead (should you want to wrist carry some pouches or organizer pouches), you can thread the handle loop webbing through the webbing loops instead of the keystrap, and use a mini Carabiner or an S-biner to clip the webbing end of the handle loop to the O-ring on the other side of the 3D Organizer Cube.

If you look at @Badger’s thread titled “Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel”:
https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/11092-synapse-25-kitted-summer-travel.html
you’ll find that she uses the Large Packing Cube for the Aeronaut 30 in the S25. There’s a bit of discussion lower down in that thread about the alternative possibility of the medium Tri-Star Packing Cube, which goes up to near the top of the S25 — it’s taller and more rectangular, but doesn’t leave room for a 3D Organizer Cube on top..

HTH

moriond
ETA: This is a picture from the old S19 and secondary bag thread:
https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/10891-s19-secondary-bag.html

This shows how the 3DOC can be suspended with a handle loop. There’s a forum Hacks video that shows how to do this with a Keystrap for either size Synapse
https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/8805d1414086493-1-week-out-town-work-imageuploadedbytapatalk1414086646-715000-jpg

… and here is the link to the second Tom Bihn forum Hacks Video, that shows how to add a handy top pocket to your Synapse (3D Organizer Cube and Keystrap)

https://vimeo.com/160672776

None of the key straps I have will fit through the cache loops in my S25. Not sure if it's a construction defect or just a design change for that particular production run.

Anyone else have this problem or have alternative suggestions for suspending the CDOC from the top of the S25?

Denises
10-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Regarding the Scrubba, hostels and budget hotels in Japan have good laundry facilities. Normally a load costs about 200 yen including detergent. Sometimes use of the laundry is included free in the room charge, although in those cases you generally have to buy the detergent.

moriond
10-22-2018, 01:54 PM
None of the key straps I have will fit through the cache loops in my S25. Not sure if it's a construction defect or just a design change for that particular production run.

Anyone else have this problem or have alternative suggestions for suspending the CDOC from the top of the S25?

Hi @cdh,

I think there may have been production variations in the tightness of the webbing loops for the Synapse. The suggestion for using a keystrap to suspend the 3DOC was made in the earlier thread that I linked for the S19 and secondary bag, but the picture and solution I posted with the Handle Loop with Snap Hook (https://www.tombihn.com/products/handle-loop?variant=16645253511) was shown in my Synapse 25 from the first production batch of that bag.

At the time the Handle Loop was first introduced, there was no adjustable slide on the strap, and it was easier for me to use a version of the Handle Loop without the adjustable slide. However, I've checked, and it's possible to use the Handle Loop with the adjustable slide pushed all the way up to the position closest to the Snap Hook end.

The reason that this solution works even for tight webbing loops is that you're only trying to push the flat webbing end of the Handle Loop through one of the webbing loops attached to the Synapse, and it's the thick base of the Snap Hook that usually sticks in going through.

By the way, I should say that I also checked my Guide's Edition Synapse 25, and I didn't have any problems pushing a keystrap through the webbing there to suspend a 3D Organizer Cube. The webbing in the GE S25 was smoother, thinner, and more flexible than the webbing used for the loops in my first production batch Synapse 25 (Steel 400d Halcyon/Wasabi).

I've taken some pictures to show how this works (using a Synapse 19, since I wanted to check the spacing with both 3DOC and Travel Cubelet, and also because I didn't want to unpack my Synapse 25). Because the end of the Handle Loop webbing is even shorter than in the earlier photo (of the Handle Loop with no Slider), you need to use a carabiner at the end that supports the drop. I've chosen to use a Double Carabiner Clip (of the sort they show with the Knitting Tool Pouches (https://www.tombihn.com/products/knitting-acc-pouch?variant=25863025223), e.g.,

Here's the Handle Loop used to suspend a 3D Clear Organizer Cube in Azalea, with the Wasabi Double Carabiner Clip at the right. The Snap Hook end of the Handle Loop connects directly to the O-ring on one side of the 3DCOC. The bar of the top section of the Double Carabiner Clip hooks through the webbing end of the Handle Loop; the bottom section of the clip hooks into the O-ring on the other side of the 3DCOC. I suspect that you can also use Nite-Ize S-biner clips for this.

Here's a similar arrangement for suspending the Dawn Travel Cubelet using the Handle Loop and Double Carabiner Clip:

This is what the Handle Loop with Snap Hook looks like with the moveable slider placed in a middle position:

And here's the picture of the Handle Loop positioned through the Synapse webbing loops, with no accessories attached. You can see the short length of the webbing at the end of the Handle Loop at the left. If you look at the right end, you'll see that I've pushed the slider as far as it can go towards the Snap Hook end (it's just under the "TB" tag):

This should work for your configuration. HTH

moriond