PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Rolls

G42
10-22-2018, 05:45 PM
@Darcy posted this vid of ranger rolling clothes (and then packing into TB bags)

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/5042-links-bag-reviews-7.html#post166186

I've seen different vids of this before, but never met anyone who actually uses it regularly.

Have any of you used this method of packing more than once or twice?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts... I guess for me it seems to be fairly time consuming and fiddly... I have fairly compact travel clothes already, so it never seemed worth it...

The old Forum posts I found are from several years ago, with the photos striped out...

moriond
10-22-2018, 06:36 PM
@G42,

I remember an earlier thread on Ranger Rolling, with this post by @AlaskaGirl. Basic summary, it worked for packing, but regularly applied to clothes, caused more wear and tear, and loss of elasticity. You can use the arrow to the right of the post to access the original discussion thread on Ranger Rolling

Greetings,
As a military member, I used to roll my clothes like this. My socks were cotton or synthetic, military issue. The tops always lost their stretchiness and would not stay up. When I stopped using this rolling method, they lasted much longer. My military issue cotton t-shirts were always misshapen and stretched out because of the last part of the roll.

My solution was to roll the clothes and secure them with an elastic hair tie. The stretchy all-fabric hair ties that don't have any metal in them are my favorites. I still use this method today.

Now I prefer merino wool shirts and socks. As they are typically three times as expensive as cotton, I do everything I can to make them last as long as possible. I hand wash when traveling and use a delicates bag in the washing machine on cold temperature at home. I lay them flat to dry. I roll them tight, but gently, without stretching, securing with the elastic hair tie.

Based on my experience with actual military clothing and ranger rolling, I would never use this method on my wool clothes. YMMV elisa
HTH

moriond

AlaskaGirl
10-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Greetings,
Thank you, @moriond!

I still prefer to roll my clothes and secure them with an elastic hair tie. elisa

kathryn
10-23-2018, 11:01 AM
I use it for specific items, but definitely not for everything--in fact a lot of stuff I prefer to pack folded, rather than rolled.

Ranger rolling works great for my travel towel (have several different types/fabrics and this works on all). I also use it for my rain shell, since the slippery fabric can be hard to keep rolled otherwise. Finally, I sometimes use it for scarves; quite often I only pack one and am wearing it on the plane, but if I have multiples I'll ranger roll the one that's packed.