PDA

View Full Version : Best option for a change holder?

nolegrl
10-24-2018, 10:41 AM
What do you find is best for storing your change (US money)? I was using the clear portion of a small double organizer pouch, but I think I'd rather use something smaller so I can easily keep it with my wallet. I have a COW as my main wallet, so something around that size.

Maybe a mini organizer pouch or mini q-kit?

Another question...how do you keep track of multiple small o-ring attached items in your bags? Especially if you have to move them around to different bags. Anyone figure out a way to "nest" the clips together so you only have to remove one clip each time for transferring?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

melminimalist
10-24-2018, 11:14 AM
I feel like the mini qkit would work for change.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

PNWtravel
10-24-2018, 11:20 AM
I use a mini cordura org pouch. Works well clipped into a larger bag or when I need to keep it in my pocket.

G42
10-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Another question...how do you keep track of multiple small o-ring attached items in your bags? Especially if you have to move them around to different bags. Anyone figure out a way to "nest" the clips together so you only have to remove one clip each time for transferring?

Try using any key ring or split ring.. all the pouches pouches to the ring, ring to a double clip keystrap...so you're only undoing the one ring from the one clip.

Carabiners work as well

and +1 on the mini halcyon for change

ThomGault
10-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Anyone figure out a way to "nest" the clips together so you only have to remove one clip each time for transferring?

Don't know if this'll work with your packing style, but when you order 5 straps simultaneously, TB includes a medium-ish plastic ring to keep them together. You could use a 8" strap to hook the ring to the bag's o-ring and have all your pouches connected to the ring. When you need to change bags, just unhook the main strap and transfer the ring/all the sub-straps to the new bag. Make sense?

ETA: Grrr. G42 beat me.

nolegrl
10-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Don't know if this'll work with your packing style, but when you order 5 straps simultaneously, TB includes a medium-ish plastic ring to keep them together. You could use a 8" strap to hook the ring to the bag's o-ring and have all your pouches connected to the ring. When you need to change bags, just unhook the main strap and transfer the ring/all the sub-straps to the new bag. Make sense?

ETA: Grrr. G42 beat me.Lol it does make sense and that's what I was thinking of too, a separatable plastic ring that you slide off the o-ring and move.

pammy
10-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Courtesy of Proctor, I've always liked this clever hack using either a split ring or a utility strap.
https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/5705-snaphooks-utility-strap-25mm-split-ring.html

G42
10-24-2018, 03:17 PM
ETA: Grrr. G42 beat me.

more like, great minds think alike! :)

twosandalz
10-24-2018, 07:47 PM
Maybe a mini organizer pouch or mini q-kit

Yes! The mini OP sits nicely in your bag with a COW. But the mini q-kit is super easy to see and access the change.

eta: I like s-biners when I have lots of key straps.

nolegrl
10-24-2018, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone! I placed my order this evening. I decided to get both a mini q-kit and a mini organizer pouch (clear). I imagine I'll find use for both of them at some point. I also bought a utility strap and figured I can hang both my organizer wallet and change pouch from it.

I went back and forth between a clear and ballistic pouch, but I like being able to see what I have at a glance. Coins aren't worth much so I'm not worried about security. If I visit another country, I'd definitely use the Q-kit for coins since they're much more valuable.

nolegrl
10-27-2018, 07:41 AM
eta: I like s-biners when I have lots of key straps.

That's a good idea! What size do you use for that?

twosandalz
10-27-2018, 09:07 AM
Mine is about 1.5" or 2" tall.

eta: Now that I think about it, it's really old and I haven't seen ones like mine in stores in ages. So YMMV as far as the clips fitting on.

backpack
10-27-2018, 06:32 PM
Organizer Pouches in different colors for different coins denominations.

I also found out that one of those portable round pill containers that looks like a mini bottle fit the 10 cents coins.
Very handy when one needs a little candy bar at the vending machine, wants to tip bakery and coffee shop person or needs a cash bus/metro fare.

Many vending machines and metro/bus machine no longer accept pennies and I learned it is rude to to give pennies to people. So those coins need to be separated from others.

nolegrl
10-27-2018, 06:35 PM
Organizer Pouches in different colors for different coins denominations.

I also found out that one of those portable round pill containers that looks like a mini bottle fit the 10 cents coins.
Very handy when one needs a little candy bar at the vending machine, wants to tip bakery and coffee shop person or needs a cash bus/metro fare.

Many vending machines and metro/bus machine no longer accept pennies and I learned it is rude to to give pennies to people. So those coins need to be separated from others.That's a good idea, but a little much for what I'm after. I generally don't carry pennies since they're basically useless. I tend to take them out of my purse and put them in a jar at home. I've been meaning to wrap them and take them into the bank to get quarters.

GoStanford
10-30-2018, 12:28 AM
I sometimes carry change in a mini Q-Kit, but more often I use an old camera film container for my quarters - easy to store in the glove box of the car, also. Pennies, nickels, and dimes go into a piggy bank and eventually to Coinstar or the bank.

For international travel, I like a Clear Organizer Wallet. There was a handy tip here a long time ago about cashing in local change at the airport Starbucks to a gift card or phone app so that the money is then accessible in local currency elsewhere. Does anybody know the thread I'm talking about?

GoStanford
10-30-2018, 12:30 AM
Many vending machines and metro/bus machine no longer accept pennies and I learned it is rude to to give pennies to people. So those coins need to be separated from others.
Please tell me more about this. When I was a student, I once apologized to the local convenient store cashier for using mostly pennies to pay for a small item, and he pointed out to me that it's all still money. That was nice of him...I know it is time-consuming to count out pennies, though, so I do avoid using them unless it's for giving an exact amount that requires a few pennies.

nolegrl
10-30-2018, 06:14 AM
Please tell me more about this. When I was a student, I once apologized to the local convenient store cashier for using mostly pennies to pay for a small item, and he pointed out to me that it's all still money. That was nice of him...I know it is time-consuming to count out pennies, though, so I do avoid using them unless it's for giving an exact amount that requires a few pennies.

I think that's really just the extent of it. No one wants to count change and counting pennies is really tedious. Stores will still take them, and they are still viable currency, they're just annoying.

It is true that vending machines only take nickles, dimes and quarters.

G42
10-30-2018, 08:38 AM

It's considered rude to leave only a bunch of pennies as a tip at a restaurant, unless it's part of the total change from the paper bills you used...

moriond
10-30-2018, 08:48 AM
For international travel, I like a Clear Organizer Wallet. There was a handy tip here a long time ago about cashing in local change at the airport Starbucks to a gift card or phone app so that the money is then accessible in local currency elsewhere. Does anybody know the thread I'm talking about?

Hi @GoStanford,

The tip about using a Starbucks card as a holder of your spare foreign currency was a suggestion by @Miking. You probably recall it because, in the middle of a long thread about Now Available/Back In Stock products in October 2014, @adalangdon posted about Kiwi Clear Organizer Wallets being available, then you posted about getting a Pocket Pouch in Kiwi/Ultraviolet, and I followed with a post about how giving people Pocket Pouches with an included Starbucks card in their custom ďleaf designĒ format made an attractive and useful travel present, in view of @Mikingís tip:
https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/general-bag-discussion/8681d1412791922-now-available-back-stock-img_1136-jpg

The good thing about Starbucks is that you can use their rewards card as a convenient currency exchange for all the small bills and change you accumulate on a foreign trip! I just pull up to one of the dozens that are in every airport ever... order my usual "grande, low fat, half soy, no foam strawberry and črŤmŽ mochalocachockalattefrappe" and have them put the rest of the change onto my Starbucks card. It is added in my home currency, at the current market exchange rate with no fees, plus with their gold card you can sit down, relax, get free wifi and refills on regular coffee and tea. (Move over Admiral's Club!):cool: plus it beats having it in a ziplock in your dresser!

So far I have tried this in the US, Canada, UK and mainland Europe and it works flawlessly.

A better, and more recent place to read about this is in @bchaplinís October 2015 thread about Business cards and Tom Bihn luggage tags:

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/10297-business-cards-tom-bihn-luggage-tags.html

In addition to pictures of some of the newer Starbucks leaf cards in both Pocket Pouches and luggage tags: https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/13629d1445934722-business-cards-tom-bihn-luggage-tags-img_2869-jpg
she shows Oyster Cards and other transit cards in luggage tags. There are also direct links to the early thread.

BTW, I still carry one of the Starbucks leaf cards shown on those pictures in my Kiwi/Nordic Pocket Pouch in one of the pockets of my (Black 400d Halcyon/Island) Side Kick. Theyíve made larger leaf and snowflake custom Starbucks cards in recent years, and they will fit into the Pocket Pouch (once you take them off their card backing ó with the presentation card itís slightly too large for a Pocket Pouch or Luggage Tag, but fine for a Clear Organizer Wallet, Mini Organizer Pouch, or Small Double Organizer Pouch. I just havenít posted pictures of these.

One comment: the Starbucks cards issued in Japan, China, and other locations in Asia and the Far East are on a separate system, so I donít think you can use the cards from the U.S., that work for Canada, Europe, and the UK there. Admittedly, I havenít tried this, because I know theyíre on a different system. Also, most people wanting to pay without using cash would just scan from their phones, so I canít imagine trying to explain why Iíd want them to process my non-standard, US Starbucks card in China ó especially since Iím usually not going to Starbucks in that situation. YMMV.

HTH

moriond

GoStanford
10-30-2018, 09:33 AM
@moriond, Thank you for the detailed post! It's very informative and takes me back a while....

cazique
10-30-2018, 10:02 AM
@moriond , you are amazing!

twosandalz
10-30-2018, 09:08 PM
he pointed out to me that it's all still money

I never cared when I worked registers either. Like he said, it's all money, and if someone wants to pay me to count them then bring on the pennies. But I had a couple colleagues who got bent out of shape if they had to count.

TRD
10-30-2018, 09:22 PM
Youíre right, Chinese Starbucks cards use a special app (not normal Starbucks) and canít be used elsewhere.

TRD
10-30-2018, 09:24 PM
Oh and I totally vote mini Q-kit

BigBadD
10-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Agreed, Mini Q Kit is my preferred change holder.