PDA

View Full Version : A30 cube setup: help! Pulling my hair out

1bgNWB
11-02-2018, 07:57 PM
Hi guys. Iíve gotten both aeronauts and after couple of days of mock packing I think Iím going to keep the 30 and send the 45 back. While the 45 is FANTASTIC, itís so heavy when even 3/4 full. Plus my nightmare scenario or being last to board a regional jet on a packed flight having to gate check it. Anyway ordered a bunch of cubes, which ones should I keep which ones to send back m?

Large laundry cube
Large mesh cube
A30 Laundry stuff sack
Side Arther pocket cube
Small mesh cube

I also got a side effect
A copilot
3D 3-1-1 cube
Old pencil case that I use for meds

I Did a mock packing:

Khaki chinos
Nylon khaki shorts
Bathing suit
Two button down shirts
Two polos
Three under armor workout shirts (wear these to the beach cuz I burn easily)
Two pairs of socks

Size 11 sperryís

4x underwear
Two white T-shirtís

Cardigan.

Packing

Large laundry cube: pants and shorts in Aether section, button downs in mesh part.

One side pocket: side aether sac with sperrys inside

Other side pocket:
Most of the T-shirtís and underwear I either put into travel stuff sack or mesh small cube. Then in side compartment.

MacBook 11Ē
Large double organizer with documents

Did not pack: Bose QC35

Windbreaker rain jacket.

Sorry guys. Passing out been a long day. Thanks for your feedback

TRD
11-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Don’t underestimate how much stuff you can jam in an A30. Lol. fully packed (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/13560-pcsb-side-pocket-aeronaut-30-a.html#post160116)

G42
11-03-2018, 06:35 AM
Your stuff definitely sounds like it will fit in an A30

I'm on a trip right now with mine.

I use the tie down straps in the main compartment for a pair of jeans.
Next main compartment layer is small laundry cube (clean undies, etc. in mesh side, dirty goes in aether side) and small aether cube for t-shirts & merino shirts (folded 'normally' and then in half again)... I have a new NWSky small laundry waiting for me after this trip to use for this purpose, since I like how the laundry cube functions for most items.
Then a MacBook Air in a neoprene sleeve.
Top layer in main compartment is a #1 stuff sack w/Cliff bars, clear 3DOC with toiletries, compact umbrella, medium OP with a small journal, and mesh 3DOC with cables.

I have two of the carbon aether end pocket cubes - whether I use them or not depends on the trip...this trip I'm understuffing a Steel PCSB with my gym clothes and sleepware and have that in one end instead, so I can use the bag walking around town - it holds a ton.
Fleece zip jacket folded in the other end pocket.

Main compartment flap has a tiny jewelry hardcase, flat comb, empty emergency ziplock, and a tiny Reisenthel laundry bag to wrap around dirty jeans.

I could put more in the bag and will on my return since I picked up a couple things already... I've also found that with ballistic, when it's new, it's helpful to pick it up and short of shake it around a bit to settle things and open up more space. I also pack so that it's optimal for use in backpack mode.

I prefer the small cubes to the large, due to the way I pack - I think they offer more versatility... likewise, I prefer the Reisenthel laundry bag for the random stuff that doesn't fit in the small laundry cubes, because it's super compact but large enough to configure to many different items.
I would bring a small dry bag if I routinely had wet items.
If I bring a second set of shoes, they go in an end in an Eagle Creek shoe bag and the fleece would go on top of the main compartment...if I was really stuffed full, I've put the coat outside, tucked under the top end grab handle and the main handle.

For your cube choices, consider different travel scenarios (work, vacation, holidays, seasons) and test pack for those and see which ones you'd use the most. Also remember that even though they are super light, the cubes themselves still take up some space & weight...

HTH, good luck and let us know how your first trip goes!

fredlet
11-05-2018, 11:09 AM
I put a jacket and my daylight backpack under the straps, then konmari fold my T-shirtís and then put my laundry stuff sack along the side. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181105/2246db18979e255fe4ec2a85175ccb66.jpg
After that, my spiff kit in one side pocket (or in the main part of thereís room) and odds and ends in outside pockets.

fredletsTravels
http://www.fredletsTravels.com
#TeamUltraviolet

1bgNWB
11-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Your stuff definitely sounds like it will fit in an A30

I'm on a trip right now with mine.

I use the tie down straps in the main compartment for a pair of jeans.
Next main compartment layer is small laundry cube (clean undies, etc. in mesh side, dirty goes in aether side) and small aether cube for t-shirts & merino shirts (folded 'normally' and then in half again)... I have a new NWSky small laundry waiting for me after this trip to use for this purpose, since I like how the laundry cube functions for most items.
Then a MacBook Air in a neoprene sleeve.
Top layer in main compartment is a #1 stuff sack w/Cliff bars, clear 3DOC with toiletries, compact umbrella, medium OP with a small journal, and mesh 3DOC with cables.

I have two of the carbon aether end pocket cubes - whether I use them or not depends on the trip...this trip I'm understuffing a Steel PCSB with my gym clothes and sleepware and have that in one end instead, so I can use the bag walking around town - it holds a ton.
Fleece zip jacket folded in the other end pocket.

Main compartment flap has a tiny jewelry hardcase, flat comb, empty emergency ziplock, and a tiny Reisenthel laundry bag to wrap around dirty jeans.

I could put more in the bag and will on my return since I picked up a couple things already... I've also found that with ballistic, when it's new, it's helpful to pick it up and short of shake it around a bit to settle things and open up more space. I also pack so that it's optimal for use in backpack mode.

I prefer the small cubes to the large, due to the way I pack - I think they offer more versatility... likewise, I prefer the Reisenthel laundry bag for the random stuff that doesn't fit in the small laundry cubes, because it's super compact but large enough to configure to many different items.
I would bring a small dry bag if I routinely had wet items.
If I bring a second set of shoes, they go in an end in an Eagle Creek shoe bag and the fleece would go on top of the main compartment...if I was really stuffed full, I've put the coat outside, tucked under the top end grab handle and the main handle.

For your cube choices, consider different travel scenarios (work, vacation, holidays, seasons) and test pack for those and see which ones you'd use the most. Also remember that even though they are super light, the cubes themselves still take up some space & weight...

HTH, good luck and let us know how your first trip goes!

Thank you ! Iíve spent a few days mock packing and such.

My main dilemma now is do I keep the large a30
Cube (mesh) or the large cube but laundry version, with two compartments. On one hand I feel like the laundry version can be used in a way where you pack the more special clothes in the aether side (dress shirts) and polos etc in the mesh side. The flip side is does the divider limit you somehow and would it be better to have just the single mesh cube. Same 10 L capacity, technically but would the plain cube be more flexible somehow ?

1bgNWB
11-05-2018, 08:20 PM
I put a jacket and my daylight backpack under the straps, then konmari fold my T-shirtís and then put my laundry stuff sack along the side. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181105/2246db18979e255fe4ec2a85175ccb66.jpg
After that, my spiff kit in one side pocket (or in the main part of thereís room) and odds and ends in outside pockets.

fredletsTravels
#TeamUltraviolet

Thanks for sharing your setup. Thatís a nice tight folding job

1bgNWB
11-05-2018, 08:31 PM

fredletsTravels
#TeamUltraviolet

Thanks for sharing your setup. Thatís a nice tight folding job

G42
11-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Thank you ! I’ve spent a few days mock packing and such.

My main dilemma now is do I keep the large a30
Cube (mesh) or the large cube but laundry version, with two compartments. On one hand I feel like the laundry version can be used in a way where you pack the more special clothes in the aether side (dress shirts) and polos etc in the mesh side. The flip side is does the divider limit you somehow and would it be better to have just the single mesh cube. Same 10 L capacity, technically but would the plain cube be more flexible somehow ?

As several folks have mentioned, the capacity for the laundry and regular cubes are the same, as the central divider floats.

So if you like the large size, then it's purely a matter of preference & cost... you can use the laundry as a traditional laundry cube (moving from all clean to all dirty) or as a split clean as you mentioned, so that is really more flexibility than the non-laundry version...but it also costs $12 more and is a bit over an ounce heavier... so it's really whether you find it worth it.

FWIW, after using both a small aether and a small aether laundry for the past several trips, I just bought a second small laundry since I find them more useful for how I pack than the plain cube.

1bgNWB
11-06-2018, 12:16 PM
As several folks have mentioned, the capacity for the laundry and regular cubes are the same, as the central divider floats.

So if you like the large size, then it's purely a matter of preference & cost... you can use the laundry as a traditional laundry cube (moving from all clean to all dirty) or as a split clean as you mentioned, so that is really more flexibility than the non-laundry version...but it also costs $12 more and is a bit over an ounce heavier... so it's really whether you find it worth it.

FWIW, after using both a small aether and a small aether laundry for the past several trips, I just bought a second small laundry since I find them more useful for how I pack than the plain cube.

Thank you! How do you pack small cubes ? Other than T-shirtís /socks /underwear I only see large cubes being useful for button downs/pants/etc. or do you pack these outside of the cubes ?

G42
11-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Thank you! How do you pack small cubes ? Other than T-shirt’s /socks /underwear I only see large cubes being useful for button downs/pants/etc. or do you pack these outside of the cubes ?

I put pants (I pretty much only wear jeans) on the bottom using the built in tie-downs. If I bring button downs (rare), I'll usually use an Eagle Creek small packing folder... everything else goes into cubes.
I'm an engineer and usually travel with synthetic dry-weave type polo shirts to wear in factories... my other travel clothes tend to be merino wool or synthetic blend pull overs or t-shirts. I basically don't need to travel with much 'nice' stuff that requires fussing.

1bgNWB
11-06-2018, 12:54 PM
I put pants (I pretty much only wear jeans) on the bottom using the built in tie-downs. If I bring button downs (rare), I'll usually use an Eagle Creek small packing folder... everything else goes into cubes.
I'm an engineer and usually travel with synthetic dry-weave type polo shirts to wear in factories... my other travel clothes tend to be merino wool or synthetic blend pull overs or t-shirts. I basically don't need to travel with much 'nice' stuff that requires fussing.

I need to get some merino travel friendly clothes especially polos. My standard RL polos are super thick when packed and I always bring white undershirts to wear with them since I tend to swear more than normal.

I donít travel for biz anymore so button downs are more when visiting family over the holidays, the occasional reunion etc. or a fancy (er) dinner

Which size Eagle creek folder do you use in the Aeronaut 30? And how many buttondowns and/or polos do you fit in it ?

moriond
11-06-2018, 03:56 PM
The Small Eagle Creek packing Folder is the 15Ē size. Using the Medium EC Packing Folder (18Ē size) that works in the Western Flyer, Tri-Star, and Aeronaut 45 would require you to unzip side panels of the Aeronaut 30. If I need to carry formal wear, itís easier to use an 18Ē EC Folder, and for a two week trip (mixed work and personal with formal wear including dress and shoes) I used the Tri-Star. (Normally my clothes all fit in a Tri-Star Medium Packing Cube - Iím just under 5í4Ē )

HTH

moriond

G42
11-06-2018, 05:15 PM
I have the small EC folder @moriond mentioned and one of the larger ones, but I don't think I've used the larger yet... the small one fits with stuff around the side and I usually have the 'bottom' end unzipped because I put my laptop in the main compartment too, and it steals some space from the end.

1bgNWB
11-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Hi guys. I just took a maiden voyage so want to report back. Took my toddler w me and I put all of our stuff in the A30 with the following setup:

A30 laundry stuff sack: kid clothes: PJs, long sleeve tops, lounge pants, socks, undies.

My clothes plus kids pants (3 windbreaker style pants) spread between small tristar cube , aeronaut 30 side aether cube (in side pocket). Brought MacBook Air 11Ē in main compartment.

Second side pocket stored my 3D clear 3-1-1 cube and side effect with some spare cables. Main compartment also housed the travel bowl with the MacBook cable. Side slash pocket (side where side effect was) housed my small double wallet organizer on a leash w spare credit cards, global entry etc

I took my shoulder bag packing cube also. In it I held my kleen kanteen 16oz. Filled w ice cuz TSA allows it. Also some snack bars and nuts for the trip. I initially had the aeronaut in backpack mode but when we got the airport I put the shoulder strap on and just carried it across the body. The A30 is fantastic weight wise. I am definitely ordering the DLBP As soon as possible. It will be a fantastic addition. Would the nylon version of the BP
Fit into the shoulder strap pocket on the A30 or must I put it on the bottom of the bag ? And if the bag do you need to unzip the dividers or is it a decent fit with the dividers zipped shut.

Thanks

fredlet
11-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Would the nylon version of the BP Fit into the shoulder strap pocket on the A30 or must I put it on the bottom of the bag ? And if the bag do you need to unzip the dividers or is it a decent fit with the dividers zipped shut.

I put mine in the bottom of the A30 center section under the straps, no need to unzip the side panels as it will just conform to the section.

fredletsTravels
#TeamUltraviolet