PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had problems using A30 as personal item?

Traveltech
11-21-2018, 06:03 PM
I am (still!) debating between the Wf and the A30. I donít have the luxury of getting both bags.

Iím convinced that the WF will pass as a personal item on an overseas flight but prefer the utility of the A30 for most of my travel. I travel often to visit family in NYC (Amtrak) or locally (car). For these situations the A30 is ideal. But I have a few big trips coming up where Iíll be flying and will have strict weight limits. Iím hoping to bring a duffel which will go in the overhead and one of the two TB bags for under the seat.

Many have said that the A30 will Ďpassí as a personal item but Iím asking if anyone has been challenged on this.

Thanks

LordAnubis
11-21-2018, 08:56 PM
Mostly flown emirates and TAP and air france and never had a problem. I carried an A30 on the back and WF on the shoulder (mostly empty).

I only got caught out once for being over weight but my gold status on emirates and the fact I hadnít checked in any luggage saved my chops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bchaplin
11-22-2018, 03:22 AM
Get the A30 in a dark color and carry it by the handle (not on your back) just for check in and boarding the plane. There are no guarantees, but unless you are flying an airline that weighs absolutely everything, you should be fine.

Denises
11-22-2018, 08:52 AM
When you say personal item, do you mean that you'll be carrying something else as a carry-on? If so, you may have a problem. The A30 is more carry-on size than personal item size.

aedifica
11-23-2018, 02:08 PM
Traveltech, I don't think either bag fits any airline's size requirements for personal item. You may get away with it anyway, especially if you follow bchaplin's recommendation to get it in a dark color and carry it like a briefcase, but you can't count on it being allowed.

I see that you too are in the Boston area. If you'd like to see my Western Flyer while you're considering these bags, send me a PM.

defi
11-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Flew United and Delta this weekend with just an A30. Packed light/not overstuffed (with padded hip belt and internal frame), it fits in United's personal item sizer. Saw an Air Canada sizer nearby and tried it there, but it wouldn't fit lengthwise (possibly could have fit without the internal frame, with some squishing). I didn't have the chance to check with Delta's sizer but from a brief glance, I'm less certain it would have fit their personal item dimensions (though at that point I'd packed the A30 with about a half dozen small paperbacks). I could place the A30 under the seat in front of me on a smaller regional plane, but anyone above about 5'4"/5'5" would probably find lack of leg room uncomfortable. I didn't get challenged while boarding, but then again I just had the one bag.

Waterlogged
11-26-2018, 08:51 PM
I've been debating a Western Flyer as a "personal item", in addition to my Brain Bag. It looks like Delta's definition of a personal item is a laptop computer or camera bag. (See here for more info: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/during-your-trip/carry-on.html) Honestly, though, I'm not sure I've seen them turn somebody down unless space is getting really tight or it was a small (<50 passenger) regional jet.

polarium
11-30-2018, 03:04 PM
I just flew out of United this past Thanksgiving trip on Basic Economy (no carry-ons, only personal items) and I am happy to report the WF fits exactly as a personal item.

My WF was packed to the brim with ski gear (thick gloves, goggles, rain jacket) and it all still fit!

Frank II
12-01-2018, 02:49 AM
As someone who flies around Europe a great deal, I can tell you that whether or not it will be accepted as a personal item depends on:

1) the airline

2) the gate agent.

Don't go by what is allowed in the U.S. or on U.S airlines. European carriers are much stricter. Look at each airlines' website for what they allow and follow it.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk