Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,936   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 181
Welcome to our newest member, Zmanlane1.

Western Flyer as a backpack alternative...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Juliana
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2009

Western Flyer as a backpack alternative...?

I'm a bad judge of size.

I'm looking for a carry on bag that will fit under the airplane seat and has backpack straps, but I find a typical backpack's shape difficult -- the top always sticks out awkwardly and is floppy if not full, and if I have to pull it out to remove something, it's hard to bend over to keep tucking the straps back under, but if I don't, the straps just get everywhere. (Do I sound crazy right about now?) Anyway, I like the structured shape of the WF, and the idea of being able to hide away the backpack straps after getting on the plane. Is that easy/quick to do?

Has to be able to fit my Nintendo Switch in its case, cables and chargers, power bank, Kindle, a folder with some papers, a small notebook, a change of clothes, some other odds and ends. One possible problem I see is that I don't typically like dyneema exteriors, but the ballistic nylon is heavier than what I'm accustomed to.

Or...is it just too big for what I need? I don't mind underpacking it. I really need backpack straps.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Juliana; 12-01-2018, 05:28 PM.
  • G42
    Volunteer Moderator
    • Sep 2017

It certainly sounds like a WF could hold your stuff easily...

To hide the backpack straps, you unclip each one and shove the straps back into the back of the bag and zip it closed... 30sec or less if you have no mobility issues... you don't even have to zip the back section back up if you want to make it even faster.

As for weight, the ballistic is only 7oz heavier than the halcyon on this bag... the ballistic is also a lot stiffer than halcyon for a while, until it ages/loosens up
    +++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot+++

Comment

• hachkc
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2014

I think the weight difference between the two is negligible. If you don't like floppy backpacks, you will want the ballistic. I switched to ballistic from halcyon for that specific reason.

That said, the WF is not a true backpack (lack of padding, organization, etc) though it can be carried like one and its comfortable enough for airport walks and the like. If you travel frequently and want a single bag for clothes and such; its a good bag. If you are primarily interested in a backpack with hide-able straps, there are better options out there IMO.

Comment

• Perseffect
        Forum Member
        • May 2014

For the use case you mention, this is exactly why I love the WF. It feels less bulky to me than a stuffed S25 due to its boxy shape.

And I love the Ballistic nylon to retain the shape as well as the packable shoulder straps. So easy to use it in transit, especially under an airplane seat or overhead in plane/train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

• backpack
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2006

The Western Flyer would be ideal for your needs.

I have its bigger cousin, the Tristar, removing and putting the backpack straps back on is a cinch, very easy.

Other Forum members have shown in pictures and commented that the bag fits wonderfully under the seat.

Comment

• imperator
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2014

Packed decently, the WF will fit the wide dimension under most narrow-body plane seats, and will fit the narrow dimension of aisle seats and regional jets, or seats with entertainment systems underneath. When it's packed tight, you might have to shove it in a bit. I still haven't had to move it to the overhead, just a little less leg comfort.

Comment

• Kaadk
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2016

It might depend on your use case. The items you've listed don't take up a lot of room, so the WF might be over sized for what you need. If you want something smaller, that still has hideable backpack straps, would the Stowaway work for you? I don't have one so I can't comment on it's carryability, but dimension wise, it's pretty close to my Pilot, which fits under the seat at lot better than my WF would. When I travel with the WF, it just automatically goes in the overhead. With my Pilot, it automatically goes under the seat, even though it's my only bag.

Comment

Working...
              X