PDA

View Full Version : SCB: suggestions wanted for parking pass strategy

Izzy
01-11-2019, 11:32 AM
So my SCB (original Nordic halcyon, I LOOOOVE IT!) is my EDC, and I need to carry my parking pass (credit-card size) for work in it, because in our family, we juggle cars a lot. So I can't leave it in the car.

I need to flash my card both entering and leaving the parking garage. If I put it in the outside zipper pocket, it gets lost amongst the other stuff I have in there (chapstick, mints, gum, lens-wetting drops, and peppermint/lavender EO roll-on for headaches).

Right now, I've got it in a clear organizer pouch, tethered on an 8-inch strap to the O-ring in the outside zipper pocket, but I hate taking the time put the pouch back in the zipper pocket, zipping the pocket shut and closing the flap on the bag. There's always a line to get OUT of the garage, and I don't want to delay the people behind me.

I'm almost desperate enough to sew a little pocket to the outside of my SCB for quick access...

Cristina
01-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Can you get one of those retractable badge/ID holders and keep that tethered in the bag, so it snaps back into place and is always connected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gqb
01-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Pocket pouch?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

pammy
01-11-2019, 01:15 PM
I have the same small Cafť Bag as you. Here are a couple of options that might work for your parking pass. The first picture is a luggage tag that is attached to one of the two O rings that are placed at the top interior of the bag. The second picture is the luggage tag attached to the grab handle. Both placements allow the luggage tag to sit in the outside pocket for easy access.

Izzy
01-11-2019, 03:28 PM
I didn't even know these existed! (Apparently, I live under a rock...)

Can you get one of those retractable badge/ID holders and keep that tethered in the bag, so it snaps back into place and is always connected?

aedifica
01-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Seeing @pammy's pictures reminded me of what I do with my bus pass--I don't know why I didn't think of it when I saw your post earlier today! I put it in a clear organizer pouch, just like you did with your parking pass, and I put it on a key strap clipped to an O-ring... but the O-ring I clip it to is in the main section of the bag, and then instead of tucking the pouch into the bag, I tuck the pouch into the outer back pocket of the SCB. A little bit of the key strap hangs out at the side of the bag flap, but that just makes it easier to grab when I'm in a hurry. Do you think that would work for you?

Izzy
01-11-2019, 11:02 PM
That sounds like a winner!

(wouldn't it be nice if there were an o ring in that back pocket?)

Seeing @pammy's pictures reminded me of what I do with my bus pass--I don't know why I didn't think of it when I saw your post earlier today! I put it in a clear organizer pouch, just like you did with your parking pass, and I put it on a key strap clipped to an O-ring... but the O-ring I clip it to is in the main section of the bag, and then instead of tucking the pouch into the bag, I tuck the pouch into the outer back pocket of the SCB. A little bit of the key strap hangs out at the side of the bag flap, but that just makes it easier to grab when I'm in a hurry. Do you think that would work for you?

Izzy
01-12-2019, 11:15 AM
OK, I'm combining everyone's excellent suggestions! I'm ordering a retractable ID badge holder (honestly, I'D NEVER HEARD OF THESE!), and attaching it to the grab handle. (I already have keys and my Nick's minimizer wallet attached to the interior O-rings.)

Here's the Retractable thingie, with carabiner attachment! https://www.amazon.com/Key-Bak-Sidekick-Retractable-Available-Carabiner/dp/B078BXRJZF

Shortie
01-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Be careful with the retractable thingy; every badge I've had over the past few years has come with one. They use a thin string, which I am prone to breaking. I like the Pocket Pouch idea; I used it for my train pass, when I rode the train to work.

xyppy
01-13-2019, 04:00 PM
I would use a pocket pouch in much the same way pammy uses the luggage tag. You could use a key strap to attach it to the SCB. I love pocket pouches. I use one for my laundry cards and another for my metro card and a few dollar bills. I give them out as gifts. They are super useful and I've never had anything fall out of them. It's very easy to extract a card from them and then stuff it back in.

Kaadk
01-13-2019, 06:05 PM
OK, I'm combining everyone's excellent suggestions! I'm ordering a retractable ID badge holder (honestly, I'D NEVER HEARD OF THESE!), and attaching it to the grab handle. (I already have keys and my Nick's minimizer wallet attached to the interior O-rings.)

Here's the Retractable thingie, with carabiner attachment! https://www.amazon.com/Key-Bak-Sidekick-Retractable-Available-Carabiner/dp/B078BXRJZF

Be careful with the retractable thingy; every badge I've had over the past few years has come with one. They use a thin string, which I am prone to breaking. I like the Pocket Pouch idea; I used it for my train pass, when I rode the train to work.

Iíve had some that broke, some that didnít. I find thereís different qualities available in them. The 10 pack I got at Staples (or the ones I get from clients who get theirs in 10 packs from Staples) break quite easily. But Iíve had others that have lasted 7 or 8 years that have been of higher quality. Hopefully, the one linked above is of the better quality.

K9TB
01-16-2019, 08:57 AM
I had a cobbler (who also does luggage repair) sew 2 o-rings into the outer/open pocket of my small and medium cafe bags. This is one of the Best Decisions I Have Ever Made.

I have a pocket pouch clipped into one of them (not on a key strap). The pouch doesn't go anywhere so it's easy to find. I can pull out an ID card, show it, and stow it super fast.

Izzy
01-22-2019, 08:21 AM
omg, this is brilliant!

WHERE/HOW DO I FIND SOMEONE TO DO THAT??

I could actually use about 6 more o-rings...

I had a cobbler (who also does luggage repair) sew 2 o-rings into the outer/open pocket of my small and medium cafe bags. This is one of the Best Decisions I Have Ever Made.

I have a pocket pouch clipped into one of them (not on a key strap). The pouch doesn't go anywhere so it's easy to find. I can pull out an ID card, show it, and stow it super fast.

jessmakes
01-22-2019, 10:32 AM
omg, this is brilliant!

I could do that. :-)

pvn
01-22-2019, 12:04 PM
omg, this is brilliant!

Any cobbler will have a heavy-duty sewing machine that will be able to do the stitching into 1050 ballistic (or even heavier materials, if needed). They're used for sewing leather soles so they've got more oomph than the regular machines a seamstress would use.