PDA

View Full Version : Best bag for carrying a few items on board?

Opakapaka
01-12-2019, 03:37 AM
Hi there! Thanks for helping a newbie out. :o I've used some wonderful bags on my travels, but never a Tom Bihn before. I hope that changes soon! What I'm looking for is quite specific: instead of having to unzip my backpack and fumble a bunch of items out before I can shove it in the overhead bin and take my seat, I would love to just have a simple little bag that can carry a few on-board essentials in it:

an iPad
a pair of Bose QuietComfort 3 (http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/bose-quietcomfort-3)s, in their case
an old United amenity bag (http://frequentlyflying.boardingarea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/UA3.png) that I use to carry earplugs, a face mask, hand cream etc.
and possibly a small bottle of water.

Once we're back on the ground, the bag just disappears into my carry-on again. What do you think would work best for me? I was looking at the small (http://www.tombihn.com/collections/briefcases-and-messenger-bags/products/small-cafe-bag) and medium (http://www.tombihn.com/products/medium-cafe-bag) Cafe Bags (Halcyon for extra lightness), although I am open to any other suggestions too!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

sarah_atx
01-13-2019, 11:59 AM
Depending on the size of the headphone case, maybe a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag? I like that it zips so nothing will fall out if you stash it under the seat. Although it sounds like it may fit in the seat back pocket with your items. Medium Cafe Bag might be most practical if you are going to use it at your destination for a day bag? If not the PCSB might be all you need.

Traveltech
01-13-2019, 01:44 PM
This is exactly what I use the packing cube shoulder bag for. I have two but use the brighter colored one for my in-flight items. Fits in the seat back pocket and doesn’t get missed when leaving the plane.

Shortie
01-13-2019, 02:34 PM
A small zip topped shop bag or a Pop Tote would also work.

twosandalz
01-13-2019, 05:03 PM
I've used my PCSB like this as well. Your water bottle will need to be quite short to fit inside and still zip it.

Opakapaka
01-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Thanks for your suggestions! The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag looks perfect actually. I like that you can detach the shoulder strap, too.
Unfortunately, they are currently unavailable :(

G42
01-13-2019, 07:14 PM
Thanks for your suggestions! The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag looks perfect actually. I like that you can detach the shoulder strap, too.
Unfortunately, they are currently unavailable :(

They're doing a minor update on the PCSB (more o-rings, etc)...should be coming up as (I believe) a pre-order in the next 6 weeks or so... i think the '2-12 week' window started late November...
They will supposedly be offering it in some of the 210 ballistic fabrics (which many of us are looking forward to), not just the halcyons...
HTH

Riverdaughter
01-13-2019, 09:14 PM
I enquired recently and was told pcsbs should be out mid-february.

Opakapaka
01-13-2019, 10:21 PM
They will supposedly be offering it in some of the 210 ballistic fabrics (which many of us are looking forward to), not just the halcyons...
HTH

It does help, thanks!
Why would 210 ballistic be more desirable than Halcyon? I always thought Halcyon was the newer, more lightweight material, but then again I'm something of a TB newbie so....

Opakapaka
01-13-2019, 10:22 PM
I enquired recently and was told pcsbs should be out mid-february.

Thanks! That's too late for my next trip :-/ ...but of course, there will always be another.

Cristina
01-14-2019, 12:06 AM
It does help, thanks!
Why would 210 ballistic be more desirable than Halcyon? I always thought Halcyon was the newer, more lightweight material, but then again I'm something of a TB newbie so....

The 210 colors! For me that would be Dawn, which goes well with my two main wardrobe staples of black and navy, and makes the PCSB a quite versatile shoulder bag.

Opakapaka
01-14-2019, 12:31 AM
The 210 colors! For me that would be Dawn, which goes well with my two main wardrobe staples of black and navy, and makes the PCSB a quite versatile shoulder bag.

That is a lovely colour - almost like periwinkle?
I tend to like shades of blue like that, although I think anything blue or grey will work just fine for me. After all, I recently travelled just fine with a burgundy bag! :eek:

G42
01-14-2019, 07:22 AM
That is a lovely colour - almost like periwinkle?
I tend to like shades of blue like that, although I think anything blue or grey will work just fine for me. After all, I recently travelled just fine with a burgundy bag! :eek:

Yes, Dawn is like a periwinkle though apparently TB had a different 'periwinkle' cordura(?) a long time ago...

The 210 ballistics are newer than the 200 halcyons. As @Cristina said, many of us are just interested in geeking out over the other colour options. Also, the 210 ballistics don't have the white grid weave like the 200 halcyons do... so some folks might like the solid colours more.

twosandalz
01-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Why would 210 ballistic be more desirable than Halcyon?

Colors! In my case, that's bright cheerful colors. I can't decide between grass and viridian. Plus a solid color changes the feel of the bag.

ontheuptick
01-14-2019, 08:21 PM
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t the 210 Ballistic also be a little more “stiff”, and maybe hold shape better when the bag was less filled compared to the Halcyon?

Is that right?

Like I said correct me if I’m wrong, that could be just with the more 525 or 1050 ballistics

I’m waiting on the new PCSB to come out as well - ready to order one

twosandalz
01-15-2019, 05:58 PM
wouldn’t the 210 Ballistic also be a little more “stiff”, and maybe hold shape better

Maybe? The two fabrics feel fairly similar to me. We'll find out when it's released!

pvn
01-17-2019, 06:02 AM
To answer the OP's question, the best bag is generally the one you already have. Like, I get looking for an excuse to buy a new bag, but this isn't some highly specialized task that needs a highly specific bag.

pvn
01-17-2019, 06:03 AM
So, if you really do want to buy a new bag, my recommendation would be the cafe bag, since it's one of the most versatile bags around. It also does great inside other bags.

bouncing
01-17-2019, 11:54 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Copilot.

AHesting
01-17-2019, 12:30 PM
I have a MCB and while I love it, I wouldn't use it as an in-flight bag because it's pretty floppy. I like using my Co-Pilot...it's compact, has a lot of compartments and a GENIUS water bottle holder and it tucks nicely under the seat. I then use it as a conference bag once at my destination. I love that little thing. It might be a little too big for what you carry and if that's the case, I agree with the PCSB suggestions.

Opakapaka
01-18-2019, 04:09 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Copilot.

I guess that will be the next TB bag I buy once I start feeling the addiction ;)

BWeaves
01-18-2019, 05:55 AM
I like my Pilot as a carry on, so you might like the Copilot since it is smaller.