PDA

View Full Version : Carrying your iPad Pro 11" with the Synapse 25

Selcouth
02-15-2019, 12:28 PM
Hey there. I'm looking at a Synapse 25 for daily carry to work, data centers, conferences, and weekend trips. I carry my iPad Pro 11" with the Smart Folio Keyboard and Apple Pencil every day. Occasionally I carry a 13" MacBook Pro w/Touchbar. I thought I would order a cache with the Synapse 25 for the 13" MBP and then probably carry my iPad in that cache when I'm not carrying the MBP. Then when I want to carry both, I suppose I could put the iPad in the main area elastic section. I just measured the iPad Pro 11" with the Smart Folio Keyboard and Apple Pencil at 9.81x7.44x.56 inches. I'd probably round that up to 10x7.5x.75 inches for ease of use (so the pencil doesn't fall off when you place/retrieve it).

Does anyone carry an iPad Pro 11" with the keyboard and pencil in the Synapse 25? Where do you carry it?
Has anyone carried an iPad Pro in a laptop cache? Is it annoying?
Have you been happy with the caches in general for laptop/iPad use?

aedifica
02-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Hi Selcouth, welcome to the Forums!

At first I misread your post as saying you wanted to tuck the iPad into the Cache at the same time as the laptop, which I don't think would work well because the Caches are pretty snug--but when I read again, I realized that wasn't what you were saying.

I don't have an iPad Pro 11", but it sounds like it would work fine from the measurements you gave. I do usually use a Cache when I'm carrying a laptop and I like having the option to slide it out on the rails. Since I don't have an iPad Pro I haven't put it in a laptop Cache, but I occasionally put my Kindle in an iPad Mini Cache--which is a similar situation in that I'm putting a smaller item into a Cache designed for a larger item. It works pretty well.

I personally prefer the older style of Cache with the flap instead of the zipper, but I admit the new zippered Caches are nicer in two ways: 1) I don't have to choose between a horizontal or vertical Cache since all the new ones work for both orientations, and 2) with the zipper, I can use any Cache to hold a much smaller item without worrying that the smaller item will slip out. The flap on the older Caches only really works to hold things in place if they're about the size the Cache was designed to hold.

(Now I feel like I should make a game of how many times I can use the word "Cache" in a single post!)

Are you thinking of getting the optional internal frame for the Synapse 25? Some people love it, some people don't find it useful. I'm one of the ones who loves it, for me it makes the bag much more comfortable with heavy loads (when I add the padded hip belt as well).

You mentioned going to data centers, are you a sysadmin? I've worked as a sysadmin in the past and I may again in the future.

Selcouth
02-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have been watching videos and reading reviews and haven't seen a single mention of the new Cache with zippers, so I didn't even realize that was changed. I had been selecting the Caches off the Synapse page and hadn't looked at the Cache page at all. I think I favor the zippered Cache because I can just leave it open at the top. Also the Synapse page didn't have an option for the iPad Pro 11" so I didn't realize there was one made for it. Should I consider purchasing two Caches?

I am planning to purchase the internal frame. I don't know yet if I'll wear it all the time or not but I want the option in a buy it for life bag. I had not considered the padded hip belt.

Yes, I'm a sys/net admin. I don't travel too much but I like to have my gear with me in case I need to make an impromptu trip. I love my job!

aedifica
02-16-2019, 08:48 PM
Should I consider purchasing two Caches?

Yes, I'm a sys/net admin. I don't travel too much but I like to have my gear with me in case I need to make an impromptu trip. I love my job!

Sys/net admin fistbump! I really enjoyed that job.

Glad to help! As to whether you should consider two Caches, do you think you'll ever want to put both things in Caches at the same time? It doesn't sound like you need one specially sized for the iPad Pro unless you want to put it and the laptop each in a Cache at the same time. Or you could start by getting one for the laptop, see how you like it for the iPad, and then decide. (Alternatively, you could buy both Caches and then decide whether to return one.)

Selcouth
02-16-2019, 09:21 PM
When I'm carrying the laptop in a Cache I assume I can throw the iPad in the main compartment elastic pocket. Is that a secure enough area?

aedifica
02-16-2019, 09:36 PM
I would say it's secure enough if you aren't dropping the bag or kicking it around. I probably would just stick the iPad in there as long as it has a cover to protect the screen from miscellaneous scratches. (I've carried a laptop in that pocket a few times when I needed to carry two laptops.)

Selcouth
02-17-2019, 12:56 PM
Now that I've thought about it more, I'm considering a Freudian Slip to hold the iPad in the main compartment. It seem a bit heavy, but might help keep things more organized too.

aedifica
02-17-2019, 01:58 PM
That would work! I use a Freudian Slip to organize things for class, sometimes including a regular-size iPad. It's handy for that. I've actually never used the Synapse 25 Freudian Slip, instead I've used the Medium or the Large Cafe Bag Freudian Slip because I already have those and they work in my S25 too. (The Large Cafe Bag has been retired, but its Freudian Slip lives on--at least for now.)

Some people have found that if they don't have something stiff in the S25 Freudian Slip it can bend and slide down in the bag. That doesn't tend to be an issue with the smaller FSes. So if you go with the S25 FS, plan for it to bend and slide down or else plan to keep something stiff (such as your iPad) in the back pockets of the FS.

Or... you could even get the Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip, put your iPad Pro in one of the back pockets, and slide the whole thing into the elastic pocket in the main compartment, as shown in this thread about Cafe Bag Freudian Slips in other bags (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/10236-cafe-bag-sized-freudnian-slips-non-cafe-bags.html). It all depends on what pockets you want in the Freudian Slip for other things, and whether you want its pockets to be right up at the top of the bag or if you don't mind reaching in.

idbjorh
02-18-2019, 12:50 PM
I use the zippered cache for my 11" iPad pro and S25. I use the gatekeeper clips and hang it on the large pocket side of the main compartment, this works fine. I have a cache for my laptop on the other (back) side,

Leaving the pencil attached to the side of the iPad yields a tight fight for zipping, but I've found that if I drop the pencil to the bottom of the cache and then put the iPad in, it fits a little better (it's easier to zip the cache closed).

Selcouth
02-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Thanks for that note. I think I'm going to stick with the one 13" cache for now and see how things work out. One other quick question for either of you, or any other Synapse owners, does the webbing that connects the bottom of the bag to the shoulder strap come fully out of the tension retainer? Also how wide is the webbing? I plan to add some elastic strap retainers. Can't wait for the Black Halcyon/Wasabi to come back in stock.

aedifica
02-18-2019, 02:51 PM
I just measured mine at 1" wide. I tried pulling the webbing out of the tri-glide, and it was very tight getting the folded-over part at the end of the strap into the tri-glide. I think it could come out, but I didn't test it fully because I didn't want to have to argue it back in. On the other hand if you want to remove the stitching at the end of the strap, it would be easy to get the strap out and back in.

Selcouth
02-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info!

bhuber
02-25-2019, 07:35 AM
I carry my 10.5 iPad Pro in a first gen cache I bought with my S25 that was sized for the 12” iPad Pro. What I found out that the original cache was a very tight fit for the for the 12” IPP with keyboard attached but works great for the 10.5” and I’m assuming the 11” would fit as well in it but can’t confirm. Unless things have changed, the sizes of the cache did not take into consideration the added bulk of the keyboard. When I’m carrying my MacBook Pro, I have a stand alone zippered sleeve I put in front of the cache, all in the front elastic pocket. I find this more comfortable as opposed to having the iPad/computer against my back when carrying the bag for long periods of time. Having problems uploading pics, here is a link to pics of my setup: https://imgur.com/a/AV6mZ1D

idbjorh
02-25-2019, 09:08 PM
Unless things have changed, the sizes of the cache did not take into consideration the added bulk of the keyboard.

Things have changed.

I had the same problem with the tight fit of the sleeve-style Cache and the 10.5" iPad Pro with smart keyboard. The new zippered cache for iPad Pro 11" handles the keyboard just fine.