PDA

View Full Version : TSS Sizes

craigmcclellan
02-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Hello Tom Bihn Forums! First post, but I've been slowly growing in my TB usage and obsession over the last few years. I’ve got a DLBC, a Tristar, an S25 for my EDC, and so many accessories. I’ve read a ton of posts here to help me make decisions, and even though I’m just now contributing, I really appreciate this community.

My wife and I currently have a 5-year-old and a 3-year-old, with a new baby due in July. When the older two were little, I was unaware of Tom Bihn. Now I don't want to carry their stuff in anything else.

For new baby, I’ve been trying to figure out the best setup to carry kid stuff in the S25, but easily take it out when I'm heading to work.

I think I'm going to order one of the new PCSBs on Tuesday, and keep a Snake Charmer (diaper charmer), snacks, and changes of clothes in there. I figured I may as well do 3 stuff sacks with an outfit for each kid just in case, and have them color coded. Based on the size of the PCSB and the size of kids' clothes (pants, shirt, underwear for the older 2, onesies for the baby), what size TSSs should I order?

Thanks, and I'd love any other suggestions you guys have.

bartleby
02-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Hi craigmcclellan and welcome to this forum! Unfortunately I am no expert in kids clothing... But, we just very recently had a thread on the travel stuff sacks (https://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/14415-stuff-sack-question-post171142.html#post171142) with some links and information regarding uses and sizes, if you havenĎt seen that one already it might be helpful. But maybe there are others here who can help you directly...

All the best for your growing family!

Cristina
02-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Hello Tom Bihn Forums! First post, but I've been slowly growing in my TB usage and obsession over the last few years. Iíve got a DLBC, a Tristar, an S25 for my EDC, and so many accessories. Iíve read a ton of posts here to help me make decisions, and even though Iím just now contributing, I really appreciate this community.

My wife and I currently have a 5-year-old and a 3-year-old, with a new baby due in July. When the older two were little, I was unaware of Tom Bihn. Now I don't want to carry their stuff in anything else.

For new baby, Iíve been trying to figure out the best setup to carry kid stuff in the S25, but easily take it out when I'm heading to work.

I think I'm going to order one of the new PCSBs on Tuesday, and keep a Snake Charmer (diaper charmer), snacks, and changes of clothes in there. I figured I may as well do 3 stuff sacks with an outfit for each kid just in case, and have them color coded. Based on the size of the PCSB and the size of kids' clothes (pants, shirt, underwear for the older 2, onesies for the baby), what size TSSs should I order?

Thanks, and I'd love any other suggestions you guys have.

Hi and welcome!

I use color coded TSSs for my kids, 6 and 3. I can still get away with a size 1 for each kid but I feel that my time with this is limited. If you can, I would get a Size 1 and a Size 2 for each kid. The Size 1 should definitely be safe for summer. Their clothes will be larger in winter of course, and if you have a boy you'll know that it can be hard to find pants for boys that can roll as small as girls' leggings can. Plus you can also pack hats and gloves or swimming goggles or sunglasses in the same color coding scheme using the Size 1s, while their clothes are in the Size 2s. Babies are tricky because they can require more clothes than toddlers so a baby might start in a Size 2, then go down to 1, then 2 again.

The other reason I suggest getting more than one size is that you never know when a color or style will be discontinued.

For what it's worth:
I used an all fabric 3D Organizer cube for diapers (I could fit at least 3 plus wipes and cream and bags) and I currently use a Cubelet for snacks but I am considering sizing up to an all-fabric 3DOC for those too (we like snacks!).

Do you want me to take a pic (tomorrow in daylight) of some Stuff Sacks and things in a PCSB? (Edited to add: I already have the pile of stuff ready to go, I'll take pics anyway)

Edited 2nd time: hmm... seems like I can only fit 3 Size 1s and a 3DOC comfortably in the PCSB... I don't think Size 2s and a Snake Charmer would work. So... you definitely need a bag-in-bag solution to take out of your S25 so you can take the S25 to work, did I understand that correctly? I will have another think. The easiest answer would be 2 PCSBs but I don't know if that's the best answer [emoji23]

Is a separate, dedicated parent bag in consideration at all?

craigmcclellan
02-24-2019, 02:50 PM
This is all super helpful. Thank you! Pictures would be amazing.

Also, we have 2 girls, and the new baby is a boy. I was not aware of the pants issue, but it makes sense.

I am open to a dedicated parent bag. I was thinking about a Luminary 15. I just donít want to buy an entirely new bag and then a bunch of pouches to go in it. I might be able to afford a DLBP and a couple pouches, but not an S19 or anything.

Thoughts?

Edit: Also, this wonít be the primary diaper bag. My wife had one she loves. This will mostly be for times Iím solo dadding.

TRD
02-24-2019, 03:34 PM
I would go with PCSBs. You can fit a lot of stuff in those, theyíll fit in your S25 if you donít pack them full. It may be overkill but you can use them forever and even pack jackets, etc. Just get a 16inch key strap with double snaphooks to use as a carry handle.

I know a lot of parents would go with snake charmers though.

I like stuff sacks but Iím a big fan of zippers.

terayon
02-24-2019, 06:15 PM
Congratulations! I have 3 kids, older but with the age spread identical to yours. It was when I started needing to organize myself and three kids that I started really exploring all of TB’s offerings. After quite a bit of experimentation, I settled on a diaper-kit-in-main-bag approach (discussed here (https://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/12137-tom-bihn-diaper-bag-do-you-use-how-do-you-organize-tips.html#post140681)).

I also much preferred bags that had big wide openings for my diaper kit - PCSB, Clear Quarter Packing Cube, large Snake Charmer, etc. I would have become frustrated with using stuff sacks - I love them for storing things I don’t need to access all that often, but I find that the relatively small opening (compared to the height of the bag) and the drawcord are more cumbersome than zippers, and when I am going in and out of them all the time, it’s a bit of a hassle.

craigmcclellan
02-24-2019, 07:18 PM
The 3DOC idea in your post looks fantastic. That looks like what Iíll do. Plus itís the hr cheapest option Iíve run across which is nice when youíre about to add a kid. Thanks!

aedifica
02-24-2019, 07:54 PM
The 3DOC idea in your post looks fantastic. That looks like what I’ll do. Plus it’s the hr cheapest option I’ve run across which is nice when you’re about to add a kid. Thanks!

Do you mean the Clear Quarter Packing Cube that @terayon mentioned? The CQPC (now that's an acronym we don't see often!) and the 3DOC are about the same price but very different sizes: the CQPC holds 2.7 liters and has two compartments, and the 3DOC holds 1 liter and just has one compartment.

The 3DOC that you mentioned might really be what you want, but I just wanted to make sure you won't buy it by mistake if the CQPC is really what you need!

moriond
02-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Also, @eWalker saved a number of the original pictures and pages for the Travel stuff sack comparisons at this link (https://nomadewalker.wordpress.com/2014/04/27/tom-bihn-travel-stuff-sack/)

I also use criteria like the Size #2 TSS (at 1.6 liters) is slightly larger than the Side Effect (1.5 liters) for sizing, and also it is larger than the Eagle Creek Specter II quarter packing cube (that I can fit into a Side Effect.

Cristina
02-25-2019, 02:55 AM
This is all super helpful. Thank you! Pictures would be amazing.

Also, we have 2 girls, and the new baby is a boy. I was not aware of the pants issue, but it makes sense.

I am open to a dedicated parent bag. I was thinking about a Luminary 15. I just donít want to buy an entirely new bag and then a bunch of pouches to go in it. I might be able to afford a DLBP and a couple pouches, but not an S19 or anything.

Thoughts?

Edit: Also, this wonít be the primary diaper bag. My wife had one she loves. This will mostly be for times Iím solo dadding.

I would go with a PCSB with stuff sacks for your older kids and a separate thing for baby stuff, either a Snake Charmer or a CQPC, that could fit in the PCSB with Size 1 TSSs or outside of it with Size 2s.

You won't need to get at your stuff sacks as often as the baby stuff, so it makes sense to have the baby stuff separate, and to keep the clothes and diapers together in the two pockets of either the CQPC or SC.

Here are some pics:

Two Size 2s and a Size 1 in a PCSB. The 2s don't leave much left over.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190225/0c1d630bf102267a9bfbf8c096e551fc.jpg

The 1s leave enough for a small Snake Charmer, but not a large one.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190225/e867aab3ab91e8cf597116d4044e418f.jpg

The 1s also leave room for a CQPC, which, along with the SC, is the maximum height for putting in the PCSB:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190225/7b178208d8fd8df06c80833bee29b08f.jpg

If you can wait until late April, a Zip Top Small Shop Bag holds three Size 2 stuff sacks and a CQPC, and leaves plenty of room in the S25. (May be hard to see as its UV on UV.)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190225/dcf5e9fdb839a20d85ca8b4f71f42cbd.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190225/6b139cd69ab4a8e06c6efa48e1cb6b35.jpg

Hope this helps! Let me know if there is any other configuration you'd like photographed.

G42
02-25-2019, 05:58 AM
If you can wait until late April, a Zip Top Small Shop Bag holds three Size 2 stuff sacks and a CQPC, and leaves plenty of room in the S25. (May be hard to see as its UV on UV.)

@Cristina, those are great pics. It has never occurred to me to put some of those bags in bags... I usually end up with a book, journal, or kindle in the PCSB, along with a 16oz Nalgene bottle, so it's never very full. I hadn't fully realized how big that bag actually is!

@craigmcclellan
Just a clarification... I'm pretty certain @Darcy said that the zip top shopping bags (both sizes) are showing as pre-order because of the upcoming 210 ballistic pre-order run, but they DO HAVE some of the halcyon in stock, if you want to email or call TB and order that immediately.
:)

craigmcclellan
02-25-2019, 05:59 AM
Do you mean the Clear Quarter Packing Cube that @terayon mentioned?

I did mean that. Iíve just looked at so many different pouches and cubes over the last few days that I said the wrong one. Thanks!

craigmcclellan
02-25-2019, 06:08 AM
Alright, I think what I’m going to order is one of the new PCSBs tomorrow (that coyote ��), and a CQPC. Once the baby comes in July, I can see how all of this is treating me, and if I want to order some stuff sacks or other items to add to it. I like the idea of the PCSB because if for some reason I don’t want to carry the full S25, I can just take that with me.

Thank you everyone for the pictures and advice. This place is awesome.

Flowerchild81
02-25-2019, 06:35 AM
Just a side note. Personally I think you will be happy going the packing cube route. I currently have a small Travelon PC packed with pull-up, wipes, clothes, windbreaker & bags. It for my husband's backpack, makes it easy for him to take out when not needed. I like being able to see what's in the ( like when someone uses the last pull-up or wipes) it's easy to remember to restock. I have one stuff sack S2, still haven't found a use for. But would probably be great to corral older kids toys & jackets. I do like the idea of color coding with them though. Both of my kiddos have small snake charmer too. But that's for longer travel for toys & snacks.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190225/09d72a46e31a18a9294b162c299cd635.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Flowerchild81
02-25-2019, 06:47 AM
I really like the look and size of that PCSB. I ordered the Side Effect because there were no PCSB available. But I already have a Travel Cublet so it feels redundant. After seeing your pics I may have to wait it out and add a PCSB to my SB pre-order. Thanks for all your ideas[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

craigmcclellan
02-25-2019, 07:01 AM
One last question. I already have an Absolute Shoulder Strap that I use with my DLBC and Tristar. Is that overkill for the rare occasion that I just want to carry the PCSB to use the absolute? Is it going to look silly?

G42
02-25-2019, 07:05 AM
One last question. I already have an Absolute Shoulder Strap that I use with my DLBC. Is that overkill for the rare occasion that I just want to carry the PCSB to use the absolute? Is it going to look silly?

To me it's overkill, but unless the fashion police stop you, I doubt anyone will care, so it's definitely the easy choice since you already own it

For $6 you can get a TB shoulder strap that packs a lot smaller, but isn't nearly as cushy as the Absolute

If you're interested in building future options, the $20 mini op-tech strap (same idea as Absolute, only smaller) from Amazon is a great option
https://www.amazon.com/TECH-USA-Mini-S-Strap/dp/B0001TST8U

I use the real Absolute on A45/A30/WF size bags... the mini on DLBC, Pilot, etc... and the smaller non-cushy/stretchy straps on the PCSB, TC, SK, SE, etc.

HTH

craigmcclellan
02-25-2019, 07:34 AM
To me it's overkill, but unless the fashion police stop you, I doubt anyone will care, so it's definitely the easy choice since you already own it

For $6 you can get a TB shoulder strap that packs a lot smaller, but isn't nearly as cushy as the Absolute

If you're interested in building future options, the $20 mini op-tech strap (same idea as Absolute, only smaller) from Amazon is a great option
https://www.amazon.com/TECH-USA-Mini-S-Strap/dp/B0001TST8U

I use the real Absolute on A45/A30/WF size bags... the mini on DLBC, Pilot, etc... and the smaller non-cushy/stretchy straps on the PCSB, TC, SK, SE, etc.

HTH

Whatís the difference in the $6 strap and the $18 one that you can order with the PCSB?

Cristina
02-25-2019, 07:37 AM
Whatís the difference in the $6 strap and the $18 one that you can order with the PCSB?

There is a bit of confusion on the straps that I hope will be cleared up today, but I believe the difference between those two straps is that one is 1" and one is 1.5" with a rubber shoulder pad. @G42 is that right?

G42
02-25-2019, 07:38 AM
What’s the difference in the $6 strap and the $18 one that you can order with the PCSB?

There's a wide variety of TB straps available

https://www.tombihn.com/products/shoulder-straps?variant=16664457159

5/8 Shoulder Strap - 5/8" nylon webbing

Field Journal Notebook Strap - 1" nylon webbing

1" Shoulder Strap - 1" nylon webbing

Simple Shoulder Strap - Heavy duty plastic snaphooks with metal bail, 1.5" / 38 mm nylon webbing This is the $18 option on the PCSB page

Standard Shoulder Strap - .25" / 6mm texturized rubber pad, 1.5" / 38 mm nylon webbing

Absolute Shoulder Strap - .375" / 10 mm neoprene padding, Double-coated heavy duty metal snaphooks made in USA especially for TOM BIHN, 1.5" / 38 mm nylon webbing

Note that there's a newer type of webbing that is thicker and smoother (used on the grab handle of the new L12 & L15, etc) and we think that may be a new option, but we're waiting to hear from @Darcy.. there's a separate thread about our current confusion regarding the 1" straps, since there's both a $3 and $6 option right now, so hold tight

craigmcclellan
02-25-2019, 10:55 AM
This is all fantastic and helpful. Definitely worth at least $6 for a smaller strap.