PDA

View Full Version : Co-Pilot for EDC?

tress29
02-26-2019, 08:47 AM
I've been carrying my S19 for work every day and it's a bit of overkill. I've already come to the conclusion that horizontal storage works better for me than vertical. (TC vs SE) I've been looking at the CP but wondering if I can't make a Side Kick work, with a shop bag for the occasional restocking of snacks!

My typical carry is two Bic pens, sunglasses (no case,) earbuds in a crocheted pouch, Kindle Paperwhite, work badges on a lanyard, travel tube of ibuprophen, COW and my diabetic test supplies. The mini OP has lancets and needles in it, and the clear tube is for "sharps" until I get home.

Occasionally there's a paperback or a small travel tray with a craft in it... The sunglasses fit in a side pocket on the S19, and the earbuds are in the chin pocket. Everything else fits in my SE.

aedifica
02-26-2019, 09:05 AM
So do you want to be talked into a Co-Pilot, or do you want to be talked into a Side Kick? :-) Happy to oblige either way!

G42
02-26-2019, 09:24 AM
I think that would all fit in a Side Kick, but without a lot of extra room for anything... especially if you carry a water bottle, maybe the Co-Pilot would work better.

Side Kick can be both work and purse-like object easier than Co-Pilot...but CP holds more

Our normal enabler advice is, if you can, buy both and test pack in your home (see the FAQ for details) and see which one works for you.

tress29
02-26-2019, 09:37 AM
I'm leaning towards CP because I could do a bag in bag with my SE...

tress29
02-26-2019, 09:48 AM
I was just on the phone with my son, both of us looking at the website. He wants another zip top shop bag and he has a birthday coming up. Anyway, he pointed to me that the CP comes in one of my favorite color combos, original/wasabi, while the SK does not!

Cristina
02-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Well... everyone should have a Shop Bag regardless! :-)

That could definitely fit in a Side Kick. I would only Size up to a Co-Pilot if you wanted to fit a packable jacket or cardigan and a normal sized water bottle as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tress29
02-26-2019, 09:58 AM
I would only Size up to a Co-Pilot if you wanted to fit a packable jacket or cardigan and a normal sized water bottle as well.
The water bottle pocket is definitely a cool feature. In fact, my son decided on a Pilot instead of a Maker's bag because of that design. Now to wait for Coyote to be available...

bouncing
02-26-2019, 10:33 AM
I think a Sidekick would leave you room to spare.

Here's a quick demo of how I can pack mine. What I might carry:

I could also fit a collapseable umbrella, but it's a sunny day and I'm not even sure where it is. Haha.

Inventory: Tissues, lip balm, pen, passport, glasses (inside case), Bellroy Note Sleeve International Version (larger wallet for any currency size), Kindle, Bose wireless headphones (inside case), external battery pack, microfiber cleaning cloth, Advil, keys.

Not pictured: Cell phone

Also, sometimes I carry a collapsible umbrella, which fits well too, but that isn't pictured because I don't have it with me.

The external zippered pocket holds the keys, wallet, passport, and cell phone (not pictured):

In the main compartment:

Note that the external battery pack fits well in the organization pockets, as do the tissues and headphones. The glasses case I have could fit inside an organization pocket along the side and be upright, but I find them more comfortable to carry along the bottom. The Kindle goes in the little tablety sleeve behind the pockets.

Here it is packed out. There are no shoulder straps on it currently, because I have been using it as an organizer pouch. One thing I really like about the Side Kick in halcyon is that it's not super-rigid and it's incredibly lightweight, which makes it work well as an organizer pouch inside another main briefcase (in this instance, I threw it inside my Waterfield Bolt Briefcase). But on a day trip, it can work well as a day bag.

bouncing
02-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Oh, one more note: Besides being significantly roomier, the Copilot also does have those nice water-resistant zippers, while the Sidekick has regular zippers. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, but presumably if you were caught in a deluge and no shelter was to be had, water would find its way through the zippers of the Sidekick a bit faster.

That means that if you're the kind of person -- the kind of intrepid, adventure-seeking person -- who goes to Costa Rica in the rainy season and simply can't be bothered to wait 20 minutes for a storm to pass, it's something to consider. Because like you, rain waits for nothing and falls on its own terms. So if you're that kind of person, who says, "Deluge? Feluge!", perhaps the Copilot is a better bag. Or maybe just get a Pelican case and put all your stuff in that, then put the Pelican case inside your Sidekick.

aedifica
02-26-2019, 10:51 AM
The Co-Pilot is one of my favorite bags, especially in Halcyon and the new 525 Ballistic--which are the only fabrics it's made in now, conveniently enough. The 1050 Ballistic was pretty stiff for such a small bag (though the fabric softens up with age). I like that the Co-Pilot is convenient to carry, has nifty pockets, and how it wraps comfortably against my hip when it isn't stuffed. I usually use an OpTech Mini SOS strap with it. That strap has been mentioned a lot in the Forums in the last few days; it's basically a mini Absolute Strap.

I think a Co-Pilot would work very well for what you're talking about. It's more bag than you need for it, but not excessively more. Everything you mentioned in your regular carry would fit into the two side front pockets of the Co-Pilot if you wanted, leaving the water bottle pocket for a water bottle if you want to carry one. You could leave the whole back section empty most of the time, but you'd have that space when you needed it. I know when one has more room available in a bag there's often a temptation to fill it up, but I think it's a little easier when you can just ignore an entire compartment like you could in this case. Then when you do need to carry your travel tray with a craft, or a book, or a sweater... voila, your bag magically has room because of the empty ignored compartment!

My only caveat for you based on your original post is that the Side Effect takes some cramming to get into the front pocket of the CP, and won't go in if the SE is totally full. When my SE is a little too full I sometimes drop it in the back section of my CP, which is a horribly inefficient use of the space there but more convenient than struggling to squish the full SE back into the front pocket. A 3D Organizer Cube fits beautifully into the front pockets, though.

Also, my Original Halcyon/Wasabi Co-Pilot is the bag that showed me how much I like those two colors together. Just saying. :)

tress29
02-26-2019, 12:30 PM
My only caveat for you based on your original post is that the Side Effect takes some cramming to get into the front pocket of the CP, and won't go in if the SE is totally full. My SE is pretty squishy, even with my Kindle in it. Take that out? All kinds of room.

I ended up ordering the Co-Pilot. And an alphaviolet cubelet. And a 16" key strap. And a Dawn ZTSSB and a mini Q-Kit for my son who lost his. :-P I figured I can always get a Side Kick later if I still want one, but how much longer will they have the original/wasabi combo for the CP?

tress29
06-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Just an update: Since Tom Bihn (listened to our begging) for a SK in Original Halcyon, I now have one in Original/Island.

First impressions: While I like the many extra pockets (compared to the SE,) they are deeper so I'm finding it takes a little more effort to fish out shorter items! Of course, this also means that things stay where you put them. My mind is already swirling around taller narrower options for things. The SK fits my smaller notebook (just a cheap spiral version) or I can fit a larger paperback book. There will be room to tuck in gloves or a smaller water bottle.

I packed it out for work today, and I'm already missing my CP! I went to pick up the SK and there's no top handle! I hadn't realized how much I used it, until it wasn't there. I have a cubelet with charger cords, a battery pack and my Apple earbuds in the front right pocket of the CP. I had to use the generic earbuds that were issued with my laptop, because I didn't have room to transfer the entire cubelet. (And I didn't know I'd need them today.) My 7-day vitamin caddy fits along the bottom of the bag, but stands up in the main compartment in the CP. Then, at the last minute, I grabbed a 16 oz water bottle. No dedicated space for it. :-/

I'm definitely keeping the SK, to use for day trips, and am especially looking forward to taking it to France this winter! But for EDC, I'll definitely go back to the CP with my SE tucked inside. I can lay items across the top or if I need to fit a craft inside, I just stand the SE on end.

Climb14er
06-21-2019, 07:04 AM
I've had a Co-Pilot since it was released in the beginning of its run in black Ballistic and it is my go to bag for virtually everything and everyday... all this time. My Tumi Alpha Ballistic gets hardly any use, only when need to carry a laptop. The CP has been with me on my motorcycles, planes, car trips and to virtually every business meeting the last ten years or so. It is to me, the perfect EDC bag!

NYCWriter
06-24-2019, 12:17 PM
I went to pick up the SK and there's no top handle! I hadn't realized how much I used it, until it wasn't there.

YES!!!

I wrote about this in another thread. I'm so used to those top handles now that I'm finding my other, pre-Bihn bags that lack them to be almost unwearable.

One of my first Bihn orders was my CP in aubergine.

What I really like about the Co-Pilot:

-- Not as big and briefcase-y as the Pilot, but its structured rectangular shape enables it to blend seamlessly into business settings (especially for men).

-- Small enough that it still looks appropriate in more casual weekend settings.

-- The compartments! If you're a nerd about compartmentalization for tons of small loose stuff, this is the bag for you! The zippered compartments on the sides are deep enough to hold both my personal and business checkbooks, and since I don't carry a hydration bottle, that center pocket is an absolute cavern -- I'm always amazed at how much I can stuff in there: umbrella ... PLUS Q-kit with electronic cords ... PLUS vitamin bottle ... PLUS travel salt shaker ... PLUS travel silverware ... etc.

-- The main compartment feels extra-spacious (since all your other stuff is in those front compartments) for books, magazines (especially since magazines seem to have recently shrunk in size, they now slip in even easier than before), headphones, and iPad (don't even try to fit a laptop in the Co-Pilot; you need the PILOT for that).

-- Everything is always tightly zipped up, as opposed to the "flap" of the Cafe or Maker's Bags.

What I sometimes don't like about the Co-Pilot:

-- The compartments! Sometimes I need my carrying volume to be one big cavern rather than rigidly divided up into compartments; that's when I reach for my Ristretto or Medium Cafe Bag.

-- Rather than my Small and Medium Cafe bags (and even my larger Ristretto) which hug my body and usually feel more like an extension of my clothing, the Co-Pilot can often feel like I'm carrying around a box. This is why -- unless I need the extra carrying capacity -- for weekends and casual outings -- I reach for one of the cafe bags first.

tress29
06-24-2019, 12:43 PM
-- The compartments! If you're a nerd about compartmentalization for tons of small loose stuff, this is the bag for you! The zippered compartments on the sides are deep enough to hold both my personal and business checkbooks, and since I don't carry a hydration bottle, that center pocket is an absolute cavern -- I'm always amazed at how much I can stuff in there: umbrella ... PLUS Q-kit with electronic cords ... PLUS vitamin bottle ... PLUS travel salt shaker ... PLUS travel silverware ... etc.
I like that the front side pockets are big enough for my 3DOC of toiletries. That left the chin pocket in the S19 free for my slippers!