PDA

View Full Version : Synapse 25 vs. Brain Bag for School

aestheticscribbles
03-02-2019, 03:08 PM
I am a high school Junior and I'm really tired of getting bags that keep falling apart. I also love having a lot of organization, which is why I'm heavily considering the synapse 25. I'm pretty minimal with what I bring with me everyday. The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not I could fit all of my notebooks. Altogether, they have the dimensions of 12" high by 10" wide by 4" deep (if I round up). Does anybody with a synapse 25 know if I would be able to fit that in its main compartment? I would probably put everything else in the front pockets. If not, I'd get the brain bag but I honestly hate how it looks.

aestheticscribbles
03-02-2019, 03:10 PM
I am a high school Junior and I'm really tired of getting bags that keep falling apart. I also love having a lot of organization, which is why I'm heavily considering the synapse 25. I'm pretty minimal with what I bring with me everyday. The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not I could fit all of my notebooks. Altogether, they have the dimensions of 12" high by 10" wide by 4" deep (if I round up). Does anybody with a synapse 25 know if I would be able to fit that in its main compartment? I would probably put everything else in the front pockets. If not, I'd get the brain bag but I honestly hate how it looks.

pkshooter
03-02-2019, 03:21 PM
If you hate the look of the Brain Bag, I would definitely get the Synapse 25. It will easily hold what you describe.

Lia
03-02-2019, 03:27 PM
Hi! I have an S19 and carry this many notebooks and more in it. An S25 might be more than you need right now, but it would last you forever and possibly be useful for Future You.

Zen97
03-02-2019, 06:21 PM
My daughter is a high school sophomore and has used the Synapse 25 for the past year. The bag is utilized to its full capacity but has held up very well, it still looks like new. (Her previous sport backpacks usually lasted about a semester) She usually carries a number of folders, text books, MacBook and binders with no issues.

bartleby
03-03-2019, 05:41 AM
Hi aestheticscribbles and welcome to this forum! Your notebooks would fit easily in the Synapse 25. I took two pictures to give you an impression of the size: My folder is 12.5" x 15" x 2" and you can see that I could easily fit two of them inside the bag. You would still have space to put other things on top, e.g. a sweater or jacket.

aedifica
03-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Hi @aestheticscribbles, welcome! (If you're wondering what happened to your post in the other section of the forum--I merged it into this one so all the discussion would be on one place, since your post was the same in both places). I'm glad you're here!

I agree with @Lia, this would definitely fit in a Synapse 25 (as @bartleby demonstrated) and it would also probably fit fine in a Synapse 19. I think I can check on that later this afternoon. If I'm able to check, I'll post pictures here (unless someone beats me to it).

gadgets
03-03-2019, 11:43 PM
Since everybody talked about good things about S25, let me share my thoughts on BB and S25. I wanted to love S25, and I tried both halcyon and ballistic but I never felt quite comfortable. I was wondering why, but now I think I know because S25 is uncomfortable when it is full in volume for me. (Things I carry makes it a bit bulged out even if it's not really full.) Since BB is larger (in volume), I feel it's much more comfortable. People think BB is much larger than S25, but in fact, the footprints (sizes) of BB and S25 are very similar (S25 is rather taller). BB sits higher in my back than S25, which also makes it more comfortable. Since the OP is minimal, S25 should work fine. One complain I have in BB though is the zippers that are a bit harder to open due to the flaps over them.

Kirk
03-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Flaps help keep the rain etc out though.

I own a BB and am very happy with it. My EDC for our years and no signs of wear.

wavebeam
03-12-2019, 08:05 AM
I'm with Kirk. Flaps over the zippers are, in my opinion, a good thing. Some people don't care for them though. BB doesn't HAVE to be bigger than the S25, but if you adjust the side straps and fill it, boy can it grow enorm-O

SouthernBelle
04-08-2019, 04:26 AM
I've used the S25 for the past few years of college, and love it! I'm only 5'5" so it's a bit big for my frame overall, but I wanted to be able to fit more in it (I'm about to go to grad school and I also use it for quick weekend trips instead of my A30). The bottom compartment is perfect for putting in a sweater or jacket (if the weather in your area is anything like mine and these spring days can start out freezing cold and end up hot in the afternoon!) or even a lunchbox!

KathyH
04-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Iím 5í4Ē and the S25 is comfortable for me to carry ó as long as the bag isnít so stuffed that it eggs out. I donít do that very often but would with an S19.

If youíre undecided and can afford a short-term hit, consider ordering both bags and stuffing both to determine your preferences. Unless thereís a clear winner, try this exercise over multiple days. It can take a bit of time to find your optimum organization for a bag.

TB has a generous return policy and you have 60 days to return unused bags.

Cristina
04-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Iím 5í4Ē and the S25 is comfortable for me to carry ó as long as the bag isnít so stuffed that it eggs out. I donít do that very often but would with an S19.

If youíre undecided and can afford a short-term hit, consider ordering both bags and stuffing both to determine your preferences. Unless thereís a clear winner, try this exercise over multiple days. It can take a bit of time to find your optimum organization for a bag.

TB has a generous return policy and you have 60 days to return unused bags.

The optional internal frame sheet stops the bag from egging out and, in my opinion, makes the bag much much more comfortable, especially if there is anything even slightly odd-shaped in the bag.

trin0042
04-08-2019, 01:36 PM
I have both. I would recommend the S25 for school. The Brain Bag is huge. Unless you need to carry your entire semester of books all at once, I would just get the S25. Good luck!