Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,933   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 181
Welcome to our newest member, Zmanlane1.

Toiletry kit for a synapse 25 side pocket request for recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thewizard
    • Mar 2019

Toiletry kit for a synapse 25 side pocket request for recommendations

Hey All,

I just got my Synapse 25 in the Halcyon and I'm loving it. I've been looking at trying to pack it out for a work trip to London, and I'm thinking I might be able to get away with consolidating my toiletry kit into one of the side pockets. I've looked around here, and people seem to be filling those side pockets with either the stuff sacks or many little items.

I'm wondering if any of you have experience using a single zipper-down-the-long-side pouch/dopp-kit in a side pocket next to the water bottle compartment. The main larger things I'm looking to fit are a full-sized rub-on deodorant, full-sized toothbrush and a travel electric razor (Philips Norelco PQ208/40). Aside from that, I just have a bunch of little tubes / creams I stuff in alongside my pills in a ziplock.

Do any of you have recommendations on what i might be able to get to fit all those in a side pocket? I don't use the biggest water bottle (Camlebak Chute) so I'm fine encroaching on that's pocket a bit.

Thanks!
  • G42
    Volunteer Moderator
    • Sep 2017

Welcome to the Forums @thewizard - we're glad you're here.

I don't have an S25, so I'm no help, but folks will chime in with their ideas.
    +++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot+++

Comment

• bouncing
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2016

Well, a ziploc bag would probably work, but I put an Osprey Zip Organizer into the end "hand pocket" of my A30. It's an impossibly minimal toiletry kit but with great organization. It's an "ultralight" backpacking item, so you do sacrifice some durability for weight, but it's held up well so far. There's a clear liquids pouch that has snaps you can use to remove it and store separately for airport security. There's a small mirror on velcro. There's a zipper compartment that's accessible from both the inside and outside, which is ideal for drugs IMO. Plus it has a hook to hang up in the bathroom. I really dig it. I think it probably fits well in an S25 pocket. It's ideal for light packers, not-so-great for heavy ones.

Comment

• carrot
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2016

In my opinion if you can fit all of your toiletry items into a 3DOC, that's the best possible solution there is. It is sized as a 3-1-1 bag (though in my most recent travels I haven't even had to take it out) and is fairly leak resistant.

The 3DOC should fit into any pocket with ease on the S25 and also fits fine in the S19 "chin" pocket.

Personally speaking I usually carry a mix of toiletry items (pills, toothbrush, toothpaste) with small electronics (headlamp, wall wart, battery, cables) in one of these guys, which has been amazing for my needs with three pockets of organization but as usual REI has discontinued it so I can't recommend it. That one is a little long to fit well in a S19 side pocket but would easily fit in an S25 side pocket or the S19 chin pocket.

Comment

• bouncing
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by carrot View Post
          In my opinion if you can fit all of your toiletry items into a 3DOC, that's the best possible solution there is. It is sized as a 3-1-1 bag (though in my most recent travels I haven't even had to take it out) and is fairly leak resistant.
          FWIW, once at Heathrow, they told me that "only" liquids and gels can be in my 3-1-1 bag and made me remove a razor and toothbrush head. But nowhere else in the world, even Stateside, has made me do that, so I think they were just being persnickety. Other times I've also flown through Heathrow and been fine with a mixed 3-1-1 general toiletry bag.

I'd probably continue to use a mixed 3-1-1 bag even so. I think the Heathrow guy was actually just wrong about the regulations.

(headlamp, wall wart, battery, cables)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2087655f0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	305035

Comment

• moriond
            Volunteer Moderator
            • Jul 2004

Hi @thewizard,

Welcome to the forums. As @carrot stated, the 3D Organizer Cube (clear, mesh or fabric versions), can fit into the side pocket of your Synapse 25, but if you want something of similar capacity, but more closely shaped to the side pocket, you might take a look at the Deuter Wash Bag Tour 1 that @mrbrown showed in the video in the first post of his Packing for 9 Days in Japan thread. (This is the section on packing his Synapse 19 at the end of the video, and the item in question appears around 1:55 in the items getting individually packed, and then is placed in the Synapse 19 side pocket at about 2:31 minutes.)

I summarized the information about the (metric) dimensions in post #12 of that thread. If I look up that product on Amazon, the description of specs is:"SPECIFICATIONS - Weighs 1 oz and measures 3 x 8 x 3 in; 1-liter capacity". For comparison, the 3D Organizer Cube product page gives: "Dimensions: 7.1" (w) x 4.3" (h) x 2" (d) / 180 (w) x 110 (h) x 50 (h) mm". It's the 4.3" dimension that encroaches more on the central water bottle pocket. So the Deuter Wash Bag Tour 1 is longer (8" vs. 7.1") and more "tubular" (3'x3" vs. 2"x4.3") to fit the shape of the side pocket. (Please note that I have not tried to use this product myself; I'm simply summarizing the information in earlier forum discussions).

HTH

moriond

Comment

• gary1960
              Forum Member
              • Dec 2016

This video @5:30 shows a clear 3D Organizer Cube being inserted into the Synapse 25's side pocket.

An inexpensive alternative you might want to consider is this simple toiletry bag (I have not used it myself).
              Last edited by gary1960; 03-20-2019, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• jljarvis
                • Jan 2019

Like Bouncing, I have the Osprey Zip Organizer, which I use for toiletries in the chin pocket of my Synapse 19. I like the organizational compartments, which is why I chose to use it instead of the 3DOC. I have similar stuff in there, full-size rub-on deodorant, full-size toothbrush, a 5-blade razor, some tubes/creams/pills, plus small bottle opener, wine cork puller, small flat first aid kit. I'm sure it would fit the side pocket of the Synapse 25.

Comment

Working...
                X