PDA

View Full Version : If you could choose ONE accessory for your travel bag, which one?

ejvc
03-25-2019, 11:39 AM
So here I am and I can't right now buy TB accessories but I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine. If you were me, what ONE accessory would you choose to try to make? What's been most useful to you on your travels and why?

Rei
03-25-2019, 12:21 PM
food bag, because food is life ;) (more seriously, easily pack snack like nuts and dried fruits without taking too much room once empty is a win-win)

kieri
03-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Gotta be the Travel Tray - it's great as a bedside companion, cable wrangler, snack chamber, stuff sack for puffy jacket, or airplane amenity kit.

Runner up: Snake Charmer. It makes a great dopp kit or clean/dirty packing cube.

ejvc
03-25-2019, 12:35 PM
What does your food bag look like?

aedifica
03-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Maybe the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, because it is... a packing cube and a shoulder bag! I nearly always use them instead of my regular packing cubes because I like how colorful they are and how easy it is to tell them apart. (I have one in each of many different colors.)

Cristina
03-25-2019, 01:26 PM
My most versatile accessory is a 3DOC. I have one for snacks, one for chargers, etc. But I think I appreciate my Deluxe Spiff Kit more because I have used so many toiletry kits over the years and I love this one. It fits so nicely in even my smallest travel bags!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sturbridge
03-25-2019, 01:59 PM
If I could only have one total, it's be a 3DOc, because it holds a lot and is versatile. Can be mini toiletry kit, or small purse in a pinch. If I could only have one type of organizer, but could have multiples of that one type, then it'd be a ghost whale. I have like 4 of them I'm carrying in my edc, with another 2 slated for travel.

gqb
03-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Key strap

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Rei
03-25-2019, 04:22 PM
What does your food bag look like?

Right now, it is a "closing" cup, but I intent to sew an actual food pouch

Lami
03-25-2019, 04:27 PM
This is a dangerous thread. Some of the aforementioned items are ones I do not own, and now I'm wondering why. :)

For me, it's probably the PCSB for travel. I do use it for its intended purpose -- as a packing cube and then as my purse at a destination. I like that it will hold my sweater and my camera if need be, but otherwise, is super lightweight and stays compact.

ejvc
03-25-2019, 11:04 PM
PCSB and 3DOC running neck and neck at two votes each! Anyone else?

I'm really loving my self-sewn pocket pouch and can see more of these in my future...

Elizabeth

Cristina
03-25-2019, 11:32 PM
PCSB and 3DOC running neck and neck at two votes each! Anyone else?

I'm really loving my self-sewn pocket pouch and can see more of these in my future...

Elizabeth

They are so similar, just one is bigger and has a front pocket. Over the years, some people have asked for a 3DOC with an inside pocket. You could make one of those! :-)

bouncing
03-26-2019, 12:08 AM
I think the laundry stuffsack is my favorite accessory because it's so damn useful. After that, packing cubes, then laptop cache, then travel tray.

In terms of imaginary accessories, I'd like a cache that can double as a super minimal laptop bag.

ejvc
03-26-2019, 12:32 AM
Kind of like a field journal for laptops... (or tablets). Doesn't the daylight briefcase kind of do that? I must admit I just throw my padded laptop sleeve in my backpack and don't worry about the cache things.

Laundry stuff sack and travel tray are kind of on my list because I find their construction interesting. 3DOC isn't really because it's just a clear packing cube and I don't get what's great about that (pocket or not). PCSB on the other hand I can see a use for, apart from that I basically use my packing cubes to have suitcases in a suitcase so as to separate my clothes from other people's clothes and/or from work stuff, so I can't see that I'd want to unpack it to have a bag? Much more likely to take a lightweight packable bag. But if you are going somewhere you can properly unpack then sure.

sturbridge
03-26-2019, 02:20 AM
3DOC doesn't have to be clear - I prefer the all fabric one for versatility. Before the travel cubelet, it was my summer just-the-essentials purse. It's also been my cords and chargers bag, and a small bits and bobs bag.

ejvc
03-26-2019, 04:36 AM
Oh! OH! I've been looking at the wrong thing. The 3doc all fabric looks supremely useful! I want one in Viridian and one in Dawn, please. Too bad I don't have those materials. I do have a lot of denim, though, which is also classic and tough.

BWeaves
03-26-2019, 05:45 AM
Laundry cubes. I love the floating divider, so the bag is always the same size, but I can move items from one side to the other as they are used.

bartleby
03-26-2019, 09:51 AM
Very difficult decision! But after pondering for a while I would also vote for 3DOC either clear or full fabric (Parapack!!) and the Laudry cubes for my A45 (ok, this is two items but that was difficult enough....)

ejvc
03-26-2019, 10:07 AM
Is champagne a bag accessory? Asking for a friend...

luvdabags
03-26-2019, 12:33 PM
I would say champagne is a perfect bag accessory.

Cristina
03-26-2019, 01:00 PM
Won't work with Champagne because of the carbonation, but you could make one of these, a bag that has a hidden 1.5L insulated wine bladder in it.

PortoVino Beach Wine Tote
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0721KZWJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_SpOMCbDJJ71R8

RDR3
03-26-2019, 05:04 PM
Definitely the PCSB first with the SE a very close second :)

G42
03-26-2019, 06:36 PM
clear 3DOC as my 311, A30 laundry cubes, small Snake Charmer

sorry, can't seem to count today... :)

Juanito
03-26-2019, 06:48 PM
Definitely the PCSB first with the SE a very close second :)

PCSB is my clear favorite, followed by SE then large Travel Tray.

ejvc
03-27-2019, 01:08 AM
I am not very much closer to picking which accessory to make, I'm afraid, although the "party pouch" for champagne is up there. Maybe I'll continue making pouches for a bit until it becomes clear.

tuskegee7294
03-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Travel Stuff Sacks...Iíve used them as a packing cubes as well as knitting bowls, snack holder and numerous other things. Close second is a tie between the Side Effect and Travel Tray.

Climb14er
03-28-2019, 04:13 PM
Zebralight SC52... AA Flashlight. Unbelievably small, lightweight, relatively powerful, reliable, takes AA Alkalines, Eneloops, 14500 rechargeable batteries. In all my travels, I've always needed a flashlight and this one is my go to choice, always.

melminimalist
03-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Packing cube side bag all the way, itís gone on every trip. After that it would be a snake charmer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anna2222
03-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Hands down, All Fabric 3DOC. Horizontal configuration that can be stored vertically too, slips into almost any bag, and serves as a mini purse.

I have almost every color and I use every single one of them for specific things. They are a "grab and go" kind of bag. The hook inside the bag also helps when travelling.

FoxValleyDame
04-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Packing cubes, side effect, and travel trays. In that order. Packing cubes for organizing my luggage (though I prefer compression cubes over the TB cubes). The side effect doubles as my purse and waist pack depending on the activity. And the travel tray is a great way to pack my toiletries, which I then use as a bedside organizer (for cords, phone, jewelry and doodads) at hotels after I unpack it.

runningtravels
04-26-2019, 10:47 AM
Bringing this thread back to agree with all stuff sack love from some previous posters. While doing a test pack last night I was just so impressed by how useful they are- they really fit anywhere and keep little things from getting lost! I bought two more this morning. Definitely my #1 accessory.

experimentjon
04-27-2019, 12:18 PM
I think I've probably purchased at least one of every TB organizational accessory by now. And the ones I keep going back to are the A30 small packing cubes (fit perfectly into the A30, a GoRuck GR1, or a Rimowa cabin depending on what I'm traveling with), the laundry stuff sack, and the Side Effect (domestic travel dopp kit) or clear 3DOC (international dopp kit).

Lot of interest around the PCSB, but I actually haven't used mine since buying it...perhaps because I realized I wouldn't ever use it as a shoulder bag and there are other packing cube alternatives.

melminimalist
04-27-2019, 02:10 PM
My original reply was pcsb, but I have to say that the ghost whales are now closely approaching the number one favorite spot.