PDA

View Full Version : Second bag suggestions please for travel

marcus
04-03-2019, 08:35 AM
Hi All,
I will be traveling to Europe later this year for about 2 weeks and want to take my Synapse 25 and then one more bag. So, a two bag trip. Any suggestions what the 2nd bag should be from Tom Bihn? So, I guess I was thinking clothes, shoes, and toiletries in the Synapse 25 and then all electronics and miscellaneous stuff in a 2nd bag. Maybe a Pilot? I am looking for suggestions. If there is an existing thread on this topic please direct me to it, I couldn't find one. Thanks all for your help.
Marcus

tress29
04-03-2019, 09:00 AM
A slightly smaller setup with an S19 and a Co-Pilot:

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/8543-packing-9-days-japan.html

spooneb
04-03-2019, 09:00 AM
The Pilot is a great carry-on bag and sounds like it would be perfect for your use case. I've paired it with the Brain Bag for casual trips and a B&R roll-aboard for longer trips. Here's a post (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/12655-steel-island-appreciation-society-7.html#post164284) from when I first received it with a test pack list I did. It's also my regular EDC bag these days.

ejvc
04-03-2019, 09:01 AM
I'd look for something that can be a lighter over-shoulder day bag, like maybe a cafe bag or a daylight briefcase.

G42
04-03-2019, 09:22 AM
How big are the electronics and does it include large things like a full laptop and/or the big noise cancelling headphones?
Do you want a separate bag to walk around with or will you empty and use the S25?

As mentioned above, the Pilot is a good choice. If no big electronics (or only a smaller laptop/tablet), the Daylight Briefcase is great if you can fit everything into the smaller volume. I've used the DLBC to carry work stuff/laptop on the plane and then emptied it at the hotel and used it for my walking around cross body bag. Co-Pilot also works if no large electronics or they're in the S25.

Another option is one of the zip top shop bags.. put some of the rigid electronics in the pack (purely preference here, they'd fit the zip tops, esp the large) and some of the clothes (in packing cubes) in the ZTSB.

The mini Yeoman duffel is also a good choice to hold lots of different stuff if you're going to use the S25 to walk around with.

Lizpdx
04-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Lots of museums and other tourist destinations won't allow backpacks inside, so something that you can wear over a shoulder/crossbody would be best as a day bag in these circumstances. My first TB bag was a LCB, bought for a trip to Italy, for this exact reason. People regularly had to check backpacks, but I was allowed to bring this in just about everywhere.

ButtUglyJeff
04-03-2019, 01:16 PM
I use a Yeoman Duffel as my second bag. I like having everything that needs to be taken out for TSA in my S25, and extra clothes, shoes and toiletries that aren't liquid in the Yeoman. I lock the Yeoman because I can easily. I like the squishy nature of duffels that can form fit into the test frames at the airport. You could even pack a small shoulder bag in your duffel to have for museum trips and the sort...

marcus
04-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Thanks to all for your feedback. Great suggestions. I do plan to carry my 13" MacBook Air, my kindle, iphone, cords and if it will fit, my Bose NC headphones hopefully. Also, I think I might stuff my Small Cafe bag into my Synapse if it will fit and use for walking around bag. Again, thanks.

Rei
04-04-2019, 02:16 AM
I have a GES25 and I intend to use for travel with a pouch (non-TB shoulder 1to3L pouch)
but I also consider something like the PCSB (I think about take one and hack it in order to attach to the bottom of my GES25... unless TB makes a specific modular bottom bag for the GES25 ;))

BWeaves
04-04-2019, 06:15 AM
Thanks to all for your feedback. Great suggestions. I do plan to carry my 13" MacBook Air, my kindle, iphone, cords and if it will fit, my Bose NC headphones hopefully. Also, I think I might stuff my Small Cafe bag into my Synapse if it will fit and use for walking around bag. Again, thanks.

Definitely a Pilot. I like the Pilot so much, I ordered a second one. It works as a briefcase if you need tech stuff, a 3-day suitcase (if you pack really light), and it's small enough to pass as a funky purse. Underpack it and it's squishy and conforms to your body.

I don't like the maker's bag or cafe bags because they are open on top and stuff (or someone's sticky fingers) can get in and out under the flap.

marcus
04-04-2019, 08:23 AM
Thanks Rei and BWeaves. I think I lean strongly toward the Pilot. It just seems to fit the bill or my needs in many ways.