PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder straps fit issue with the L12

b1gsky
04-29-2019, 11:35 PM
So, I've read a few times that some people have issues with the straps of the S19, I have issues with my new L12. I really like the layout of the bag and it works well for me in that regard, but the straps could fit better. In the front the straps don't fully touch my body, just the outer edges. I can change that up a bit when I tighten the straps up as short as they can go and use the sternum strap. But I don't really want to do that, because I don't like the way it looks when I wear dressy clothes. If the bag isn't stuffed full the issue isn't all that noticeable, but it's definitely not as comfortable to carry as my DLBP (I can sometimes forget that I'm even carrying a backpack with the DLBP). So, is there a solution to this issue, or am I simply incompatible with the bag?

Cristina
04-30-2019, 12:13 AM
So, I've read a few times that some people have issues with the straps of the S19, I have issues with my new L12. I really like the layout of the bag and it works well for me in that regard, but the straps could fit better. In the front the straps don't fully touch my body, just the outer edges. I can change that up a bit when I tighten the straps up as short as they can go and use the sternum strap. But I don't really want to do that, because I don't like the way it looks when I wear dressy clothes. If the bag isn't stuffed full the issue isn't all that noticeable, but it's definitely not as comfortable to carry as my DLBP (I can sometimes forget that I'm even carrying a backpack with the DLBP). So, is there a solution to this issue, or am I simply incompatible with the bag?

I have the "outer edges" problem with several TB bags. I have surmised from forum discussions that it's probably because I have quite narrow ribs and probably narrow shoulders. I wish I had a workaround for you! I just tend to cinch waist/hip belts on my backpacks pretty tight and loosen the shoulder straps so they don't dig in.

b1gsky
04-30-2019, 01:28 AM
Thanks Cristina! Seems like I just have to accept it, then. I'll keep using the L12 for work, it's great for that. And it doesn't matter much when I only use it for a short commute. But I think I'll take my DLBP to Paris tomorrow, better safe than sorry when I want to carry the bag for whole days walking around.

Cristina
04-30-2019, 03:53 AM
Thanks Cristina! Seems like I just have to accept it, then. I'll keep using the L12 for work, it's great for that. And it doesn't matter much when I only use it for a short commute. But I think I'll take my DLBP to Paris tomorrow, better safe than sorry when I want to carry the bag for whole days walking around.

Do you also have a narrow back/shoulders? Maybe I'll try the DLBP!

b1gsky
04-30-2019, 05:31 AM
Do you also have a narrow back/shoulders? Maybe I'll try the DLBP!

No idea, actually! They're pretty ordinary I guess, definitely not wide. They do slope down though. Which actually makes sense, if the outer edges of the strap were higher the inner edges would be pushed down and the strap ends out and backwards.

In this picture I'm wearing the DLBP. The straps look a bit awkward, but they're flush with my body and it feels great to wear it.

ejvc
04-30-2019, 06:20 AM
If your shoulders are too sloped for the strap placement, it's possible that by sewing them up higher towards the centre where they are attached at the shoulder you might be able to change their slope. I think I would just try pinning them with a strong pin or hand-basting them first to check if what I say is true -- then you could take them to a local tailor and have them do the adjustment if you don't sew yourself or don't feel confident.

aedifica
04-30-2019, 08:54 AM
If your shoulders are too sloped for the strap placement, it's possible that by sewing them up higher towards the centre where they are attached at the shoulder you might be able to change their slope. I think I would just try pinning them with a strong pin or hand-basting them first to check if what I say is true -- then you could take them to a local tailor and have them do the adjustment if you don't sew yourself or don't feel confident.

The Luminary has padded straps, though, so it would be difficult to sew them. Not impossible, of course, or the TB crew couldn't assemble them in the first place--but difficult.

ejvc
04-30-2019, 10:02 AM
The industrial machine at the tailor's would be able to handle it though, surely? But you have to pin or baste first to avoid making a bad mistake on the advice of someone from the Internet....

b1gsky
04-30-2019, 11:31 AM
The Luminary has padded straps, though, so it would be difficult to sew them. Not impossible, of course, or the TB crew couldn't assemble them in the first place--but difficult.

Agree - I definitely wouldn’t ever try it on my own. With the padding of the straps, the padded back compartment and the inner lining of the bag I think it would be difficult not to destroy a perfectly nice bag that way.

Cristina
04-30-2019, 12:30 PM
I just tried on all my TB backpacks: S19, S25, L12, L15.

The Luminary 12 was by far the worst offender, strap-wise. Only the outer edges touch my body and the inner edges are way up in the air. It is also really uncomfortable for this reason. All three other bags have the outer edges dig in to a much lesser degree.

I would have thought that having a narrow back would make the smallest bag fit better but it is not true in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b1gsky
04-30-2019, 12:45 PM
Thanks - that’s interesting to know. Although I’m not in the market for another backpack. But if they ever do one of the color combinations I’m waiting for I’m going to get a MCB (which could potentially be an alternative to the L12).

Cristina
04-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Thanks - thatís interesting to know. Although Iím not in the market for another backpack. But if they ever do one of the color combinations Iím waiting for Iím going to get a MCB (which could potentially be an alternative to the L12).

Yeah, I get that. I mostly use my beloved Parental Unit, but I did take my L15 out the other week and it was comfortable. I would recommend the L15 to anyone who has a problem with the L12 straps but otherwise likes the Luminary.

b1gsky
05-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Just wanted to get back to this and say that it might get better with wear, when the straps soften up a bit. I’ve carried it to work today and every time I was waiting around for a train or bus I twisted the straps around towards my body. They already sit much better.

AshleyM
06-06-2019, 01:53 PM
For what it’s worth, I am also having a hard time with the overall fit of the L12. My original Luminary fit so well I would forget I had it on. I keep comparing the two, trying to figure out why the 12 is causing me problems. I also am finding the L12 intolerably heat trapping in the summer humidity—even packed with only a few things (keys, wallet, phone etc) for short trips, it is making my back super hot.

moriond
06-06-2019, 04:39 PM
For what it’s worth, I am also having a hard time with the overall fit of the L12. My original Luminary fit so well I would forget I had it on. I keep comparing the two, trying to figure out why the 12 is causing me problems. I also am finding the L12 intolerably heat trapping in the summer humidity—even packed with only a few things (keys, wallet, phone etc) for short trips, it is making my back super hot.

@AshleyM, I'd really like to know whether there's anyone in your vicinity with an L12 whose bag you could try, and who could try out your backpack. So far, I haven't seen other reports from people who were OK with the fit of the first version Luminary, but reported problems with the fit of the L12. I didn't notice a big difference in the way the straps felt between these two models, so I'm wondering whether this could be an instance of a larger variation in the fabrication that is slightly outside normal bounds. (Their production quality control is very good, but nothing is perfect). One of the other small design changes that they made, besides trying to make the straps lie flatter, was controlling the bias cut of the fabric of the straps.

You might get in touch with customer support with more details, because it's cases like yours that help them run down ways to improve the fit. I know that it's not always possible to match everyone, but it's darn puzzling when the design used to work for someone and now no longer does! (Just for the record, I have two of the original Luminary backpacks -- black/cloud and alphaviolet/dawn -- and one of the new L12s in Nebulous Grey/Dawn. I didn't notice a big difference in fit of the backpack straps for me. I'm just under 5'4" tall, petite size small.

HTH

moriond

AshleyM
06-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Thanks very much for your feedback, @moriond! I really doubt anyone near me has an L12–I found myself educating the store associates at Backwoods on the TB brand just last week. They only knew of one other customer who used it around here. �� I am 5’3, small, with bony, narrow shoulders—my S19 at its shortest strap length is way too loose(but it is comfortable and great for travel), so I imagine it is the fault of my build rather than a production flaw. When people used to lament the straps on the original Luminary, hoping for a new design, I remember thinking, please don’t change a thing!

b1gsky
06-12-2019, 12:26 AM
For what itís worth, I am also having a hard time with the overall fit of the L12. My original Luminary fit so well I would forget I had it on. I keep comparing the two, trying to figure out why the 12 is causing me problems. I also am finding the L12 intolerably heat trapping in the summer humidityóeven packed with only a few things (keys, wallet, phone etc) for short trips, it is making my back super hot.

Thanks for your feedback, good to know I'm not the only one. For me it has markedly improved with wear. It's still not the perfect fit, but it's not bad anymore either now that the straps have become a bit more flexible. I agree about it being hot to carry though - we've had the first few warm days and I carried it mostly over one shoulder. Maybe I just need to accept that there isn't a bag for every weather. I thought about getting a MCB as an alternative for summer days. I think my SCB might be too small for a regular work day.