PDA

View Full Version : Aeronaut

shakir5582
01-22-2009, 10:12 PM
I haven't gotten to take it out yet but trust me its been packed a few times.
with the assistance of packing cubes(not TB, already had some)

2 pr of jeans
1 pr of khakis
4 t shirts
2 dress shirts
1 nylon running shorts
1 pr thin sweat pants
10.5 EEEE running shoes(Yes they fit easily in the end pockets oddly with a bit of room to spare)
1 wind breaker
some socks and undies
small amount of toiletries(I just don't take that much, but there is room for more)
a laundry kit
and to top it off a well folded suit jacket. (odd thing folding a suit jacket but if done right it turns out ok after hanging in the bathroom during a hot shower.) also proof of need for TB garment sleeve

There was room for a few small item to be stuffed here and there. but that is awesome.

Darcy
02-25-2009, 10:49 AM
In this thread, post a list or pictures of What You Carry in your Aeronaut (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0906). We will add your packing list to the Aeronaut page to help give other people a better idea of what the bag can hold.

bluedawg
05-04-2009, 11:31 PM
this is what i packed for a 9-day trip (caribbean cruise, so all summer clothes!)... it was my debut with the aeronaut!

in a large packing cube:
3 pr. shorts
2 pr. capri pants
3 skirts
9 undies
4 bras
1 pj outfit (tank & pants)
1 yoga outfit (tank & pants)

in a small packing cube:
1 belt
6 t-shirts
2 tank tops
1 light sweater
2 bikinis

next to small packing cube:
l.l. bean toiletry kit (medium) with all toiletries
(i have a full list but i'll spare you!)

in one end compartment:
5 pr. socks (inside shoes)
1 pr. flip flops
1 pr. walking shoes

in other end compartment:
1 pr. strappy (flat) sandals
1 pr. husband’s sleeping shorts
5 pr. husband's boxers
3 pr. husband's socks

pretzelb
08-26-2009, 12:10 PM
For an 8 day trip during the summer months here is what I had written down on my packing list for the Aeronaut. I'm using bluedawg's format.

in a large packing cube:
3 pair shorts
2 ss polo shirt
3 ss t shirts
1 swim suit

in a small packing cube:
3 underwear
5 pair low cut socks
bandanna
nylon racing belt that holds Gu and running number
rubber clothes line
travel towel
2 inflatable hangers
sink stopper

in a small packing cube:
2 running shorts
3 ss running shirts
1 ls running shirt

in a 8 liter backpacking nylon stuff sack:
1 pair running shoes size 10 mens

in a non-TB packing cube similar to small TB cubes:
various cords for phone and iPod
chargers for camera and phones
battery charger
electric shaver

in a medium clear sided TB pouch:
various liquids in small bottles

in a medium clear sidded TB pouch:
various toiletries that are not liquid

in one end compartment:
the stuff sack with my running shoes

the non TB cube with cords and electronic
the clear sided pouches
paperback book

in main compartment:
large packing cube
two small cubes
beach towel
small folding change tray from Red Oxx
empty garbage bag, zip loc bag, and empty stuff sack in top zipper

pretzelb
01-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Another packing list from a trip back in October for a marathon and sightseeing. Around 8 day trip to New England. It was unseasonable warm and had it been colder I should have packed more heavier items and that might have changed what I could take. I wrote most of it down but I think I am missing an item or two.

in a large packing cube:
3 pair of pants of mixed type but no jeans
2 long sleeve running shirts
1 short sleeve polo
1 long sleeve button down shirt
1 short sleeve t-shirt

in a small packing cube:
3 underwear
2 pair low cut socks
3 pair regular length wool socks
1 short sleeve running shirt

in a small packing cube:
nylon racing belt that holds Gu and running number
rubber clothes line
travel towel
2 inflatable hangers
sink stopper
bandanna
1 running shorts
2 ss running shirts
1 pair glove liners
knit hat
disposable poncho (which sadly I had to use during the race)

in a 8 liter backpacking nylon stuff sack:
1 pair running shoes size 10 mens

in a non-TB packing cube similar to small TB cubes:
various cords for phone and iPod
chargers for camera and phones
battery charger
electric shaver

in a medium clear sided TB pouch:
various liquids in small bottles (one TSA agent suggest I use zip log bag instead - never had this happen before)

in a medium clear sidded TB pouch:
various toiletries that are not liquid

How it was all loaded up in the Aeronaut

in one end compartment:
the stuff sack with my running shoes (not much else fits here)

the non TB cube with cords and electronic
the clear sided pouches
paperback book

in main compartment:
large packing cube
two small cubes
small folding change tray from Red Oxx
Tom Bihn Shop Bag (folded up to be used on the go)
fleece vest (this was just folded in loosely)
rain coat (thin zippered coat just folded in loosely)
empty garbage bag, zip loc bag, and empty stuff sack in top zipper

Tzporah
02-13-2010, 08:30 PM
For a seven day conference:

Main section:
1 pair of dockers
2 pairs of heavy weight casual pants
7 short sleeve t-shirts
7 pairs of underwear
1 bra
5 pairs of hand knit (medium/heavy weight) socks
bathing suit
(FYI, I'm not a small girl, so my clothes take up a bit more space than an average size woman)

Side compartment:
two pairs of PJs

Side compartment:
3D organizer cube
plastic bag with meds
other assorted toiletries

I overstuffed my large packing cube, so I ended up only using one of my half cubes and actually put it next to the large one instead of on top of it, which took some of the room from the side compartment.

I did have more than enough room to pack everything for the trip home, keeping the clean leftovers in one of the side pockets and the dirty clothes in the main compartment. I also had enough room to add the majority of the papers/small books that I picked up at the conference, plus a few things I picked up in Vegas.

I LOVED the absolute strap this trip. It was actually easier to carry this heavy bag on my shoulder vs the backpack straps.

lauragayle
03-29-2010, 07:30 PM
I went to San Diego for a conference and was there for 6 days, 5 nights. I had to have office casual attire and I usually wear jeans and a knit top for flights (and Birki clogs, carry coat if weather is iffy on either end). If you don't think this is an impressive list, I'm tall and plush-sized and my clothes take up more room than a petite thin woman's clothes would.

* 6 pairs of undies, bra
* 3 pairs of dress pants
* 1 dressy tank top
* 1 dressy knit jacket
* 4 dressy lightweight tops
* 3 pairs of shoes (2 are sandals, ok?) -- btw, women's size 12M
* 1 TB Kit with cosmetics, assorted toiletry items (not filled all the way)
* 1 nightgown (I want to find a lighter one for travel)
* 1 slim leather cosmetic bag with medicines
* 1 1/2" 3 ring binder (music for my piano gig here)
* gifts for friends (chocolates, other goodies)
* TB 3d clear organizer cube (filled)
* 5 Odwalla protein bars
* 4 quart-sized ziploc bags
* TB Snake charmer with assorted necessary cords and a Monster Outlets to go-4.
* swimsuit, pareo, goggles, swim cap
* various other small necessities (handkerchief, silk scarf, knee highs)

I used several eBags packing cubes to keep things organized, which worked well. I was delighted with how well the Aeronaut worked for this trip. Next year's conference is in Philadelphia (Feb. 2011), and I don't know if I can have the same kind of success packing a winter week's worth of clothes, but with planning... we'll see!

bltkmt
03-30-2010, 05:15 AM
If I may ask, what sized eBags cubes worked best in the Aeronaut?

lauragayle
03-30-2010, 09:43 AM
The eBags slim packing cubes (http://www.ebags.com/ebags/slim_packing_cubes_3pc_set/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=107842) and shoe sleeves (http://www.ebags.com/ebags/shoe_sleeves_set_of_2/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=97002) work great. I also have the eBags regular packing cubes (http://www.ebags.com/ebags/packing_cubes_3pc_set/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=13032) set and I found the largest size a little too large for this trip. It might work better for a future trip. I purchased "closeout" colors at the time, which was less expensive. I don't quite understand why they were closeout colors -- I got bright orange and lime green, which stands out well.

I didn't get the TB packing cubes at the time, but may wind up investing in them, because they are supposed to fit more neatly. The eBags ones worked, but not as neatly as I would have liked. Still fit in the boxes of chocolates and goodies for friends, though-- in the nooks and crannies left behind!

maverick
04-06-2010, 07:00 AM
i carried my steel/solar aeronaut (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0906) and indigo/solar synapse (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0110) on my trip to india. neither was packed to capacity.

in the aeronaut, i packed:

three yoga pants,
three t-shirts,
four pairs of underwear,
two pairs of shorts,
a crazy creek camping chair,
a small shop bag,
liquid toiletries in one 3d clear organizer cube (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0917),
solid toiletries in another 3d clear organizer cube (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0917),
the hard case for my maui jim sunglasses.

i had space to pack a meditation stick inside the aeronaut on the way back (it fit diagonally inside the main compartment). because it could be used as a weapon, i checked in my aeronaut for the return flight. it arrived covered in a good layer of dirt, but that's nothing that a nice bath won't take care of. :)

lauragayle
04-08-2010, 06:04 AM
A CHAIR, Maverick? Whoa. Did you write that bumper sticker (my other car is a Tom Bihn bag!)??? You certainly live it! :D

maverick
04-08-2010, 06:13 AM
A CHAIR, Maverick? Whoa. Did you write that bumper sticker (my other car is a Tom Bihn bag!)??? You certainly live it! :D

hi lauragayle!

i have an earlier iteration of this (http://www.crazycreek.com/product/10/48/) camping chair / stadium chair from crazy creek. it is truly a back saver when you're sitting on the ground for 3-4 hours each day. i put a cushion inside for added comfort, but i have that at my destination rather than packing it in my aeronaut. this camping chair packs wonderfully inside my aeronaut.

itlnparrot
05-01-2010, 08:48 PM
One bagged it to the hospital for the birth of our son, Luca.

Nearly 30 lbs of stuff...First child, we didn't know. YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING!

Laptop - 15" MBPro (power cord, etc)
iHome for music (fit nicely in side pocket)
Toileteries for Mom and Dad - Mom went on a side pocket, dad tossed a few things in the main compartment flap.

Mom had a large Rick Steves packing cube with robe and clothes...don't remember what.
Luca and I had a two of the smaller bags for our limited clothes. I packed a few t-shirts, regular shirt, etc.

Plus there was an inch thick packet for our estate planning and magazines and books to read ... You don't need that either. Just rest.

Looking forward to making my decision to buy the Parental Unit or not... AHH!!!

let's just say - I don't recall what was all in it... but a lot of stuff. 30lbs worth... bag held up great and didn't even scream at me.

Thanks TB! (no - i didn't pack the baby in it for the trip home)

itlnparrot
05-01-2010, 08:58 PM
In February, I went on a long weekend trip to Savannah followed by two days of business each in SF and LV. total trip: 8 days

Needless to say my Aeronaut (steel) was a great travel companion.
I bundle wrapped everything.

2 pairs of jeans
2 slacks
6 shirts (dress/casual)
1 sweater
1 sweatshirt (light, dressy)
6 undershirts
3-4 t-shirts
socks & underwear for each day (why not)
toiletries
extra pair of dress shoes

sevendog
06-10-2010, 05:41 AM
For my 19-day trip to the UK in Jan-Feb, here's what went into my Aeronaut. After extracting what I wore for the flight, the bag weighed just under 7 kilos, which was the carry-on limit for Cathay's economy class.

I also carried an ID with a MacBook, travel documents, wallet, phone, and cables.

My husband brought a rolling bag. After rolling his bag through the snow, on cobblestone streets, he's been borrowing my Aeronaut for his business trips.

Large Packing Cube
- 1 pr dressy wool trousers (emerged nearly flawless thanks to bundle packing)
- 1 pr jeans
- 1 pr yoga pants
- 7 thin, layerable knit tops
- 2 sweaters, one heavy weight, one medium
- 1 fleece jacket
- 1 belt

Half Packing Cube
- 4 scarves (2 thick, 2 thin)
- 1 pr suede gloves
- 5 prs socks
- Lingerie, various

Clear Quarter Packing Cube
- all toiletries (one side held my 3-1-1 bag)

Tossed into the main compartment
- Inflatable travel pillow
- daybag

End compartments
- 2 prs ankle boots

wmperry
07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
We just returned from a month-long trip to San Miguel de Cozumel, Mexico. On the way back I packed one of our Aeronauts with the clean clothes and got a ridiculous amount in without straining the bag. I thought I would share the packing list.

This is a combination of clothing for me (6'8"), my son (6'3"), and my wife (5'8") so none of the clothing is particularly tiny!

6 L T-Shirts
1 L rash-guard
5 XXL T-Shirts
5 pairs of men's shorts
3 men's swimsuits
1 L men's sweatpants
4 M men's briefs
5 L men's boxers
5 (size undisclosed) women's underwear
1 dress
1 female 1-piece swimsuit
1 pair of men's travel pants (very thin)
2 pairs of women's capri pants
9 pairs of men's socks
3 women's socks
2 women's strap tops
7 women's tops
1 light women's sweater
1 L men's windbreaker

Here it is all spread out on the bed after we unpacked. Sorry it is a bit blurry, but it was almost 2:00am by the time we got home, so *I* was a bit blurry when I took the picture.

All of my son's shirts as well as 2 of mine fit into 1 small packing cube in one of the end-compartments. Rolling is a godsend for traveling light.

http://unknown.kadath.us/tombihn-aeronaut-packing.jpg

Our other aeronaut wasn't packed quite so full, but contained the shoes and quite a lot of other clothing.

MtnMan
07-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Does anyone pack a Tom Bihn backpack (like a Smart Alec or Synapse) inside of an Aeronaut, to be unpacked and used while "on the trip"?

SurlyFrog
07-25-2010, 10:55 AM
I currently stuff a Smart Alec inside my Aeronaut while traveling. It works, but is a bit "clunky." I place the Smart Alec on the bottom of the bag, a large packing cube on top of it and secure them both with the straps. My Dell Latitude D630 with extended battery goes inside a size 2M cache and sits on top of both of them. A Snake Charmer, Moleskin, and Medium organizer pouch fit around these items in the main compartment. A 3D clear organizer cube sits in a side compartment with my carry-on liquids. Some other stuff typically fits in the ends as well. It's a bit of a tight fit - but it definitely works.

I've just ordered a Large Cafe Bag and a Ristretto which I'm going to try to use instead of the Smart Alec for this very purpose. I expect one of these bags to work better because they are sized about the same as the main compartment of the Aeronaut and don't have a heavily padded back. I also intend to remove the shoulder strap and use the Absolute strap on my Aeronaut for carrying the small bag around my destination, thus saving some more room.

In case you are wondering the reason behind ordering both bags, I currently travel with one of two very differently sized laptops and am doing some experimentation to see which - if either - bag can work for both.

Regards,
--SurlyFrog

MtnMan
07-25-2010, 01:17 PM
@ SurlyFrog:

Sounds great, and it's a free country! Have at it.

I'd love to see some photos posted of what people unpacked from their Aeronauts.

Nana8
10-11-2010, 03:51 AM
hi lauragayle!

i have an earlier iteration of this (http://www.crazycreek.com/product/10/48/) camping chair / stadium chair from crazy creek. it is truly a back saver when you're sitting on the ground for 3-4 hours each day. i put a cushion inside for added comfort, but i have that at my destination rather than packing it in my aeronaut. this camping chair packs wonderfully inside my aeronaut.

I know you are very attached to your chair, maverick, but I have found something here at MOA (Mall of America- oh how I hate going there!) that might take up less space, be lighter and is super simple for travel.

There is a store there that carries hand made items from under developed countries - sweaters, mittens, hats, scarves, etc. Here I found a very large woven circle. I learned that the purpose of this is to ease the strain on one's back when sitting on the floor. The idea is that you place it around your body under your arms and then around your knees. It works well if you are sitting cross-legged or with your knees pulled up toward your chest. I have seen it used at HS football game on the bleachers as well.

maverick
10-11-2010, 04:26 AM
I know you are very attached to your chair, maverick, but I have found something here at MOA (Mall of America- oh how I hate going there!) that might take up less space, be lighter and is super simple for travel.

There is a store there that carries hand made items from under developed countries - sweaters, mittens, hats, scarves, etc. Here I found a very large woven circle. I learned that the purpose of this is to ease the strain on one's back when sitting on the floor. The idea is that you place it around your body under your arms and then around your knees. It works well if you are sitting cross-legged or with your knees pulled up toward your chest. I have seen it used at HS football game on the bleachers as well.

wow - thanks, nana8!

i think i've seen people using something like what you are describing. i am still in search for the perfect solution. i have diagramed what i think would work well - basically a smaller version of my meditation chair. it wouldn't be as portable, but i think it would be more comfortable. maybe i'll make it one of these days, or get a custom furniture maker to help me bring it together.

of course, i'd need tom to make a bag that would hold it! :)

Nana8
10-11-2010, 04:31 AM
M-

I love your design and would certainly purchase a couple when you get them made! The concept is simple yet grand/sleek and look very comfortable! Please keep me posted!

maverick
10-11-2010, 04:38 AM
M-

I love your design and would certainly purchase a couple when you get them made! The concept is simple yet grand/sleek and look very comfortable! Please keep me posted!

hi nana8,

the concept is based on this meditation chair (http://www.zenbydesign.com/en/content/2/chairs/88/the-rama-meditation-chair/). this is what i use at home. i've taken it with me on a couple of trip where i've driven to where i'm going and have planned to be there for more than a couple of days. i get strange looks from folks in the elevator, but that's alright. it is truly a joy to use. :)

they also make a travel chair (http://www.zenbydesign.com/en/content/2/chairs/87/the-wandering-monk-meditation-chair/) - called the wandering monk, but i find the seat to be too small for me to sit comfortably for any length of time.

Nana8
10-11-2010, 04:48 AM
VERY NICE! We have been looking for something along these lines for use at home and this appears to be perfect! Thanks you for the links!

BTW-we never worry about folks in the elevator!

leviathan
10-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm back out on tour, living out of my Aeronaut (and Smart Alec). I'm on the road for 43 days. With proper rationing, this pack should get me back home with only having to do laundry once:
- 9 t-shirts
- 12 pairs of boxer briefs
- 12 pairs of socks
- 1 blazer
- 2 dress shirts
- 2 vests
- 2 button up casual shirts
- 1 pair of PJs
- 1 pair of dress pants
- 1 pair of jeans
- 1 light jacket
- 1 heavier jacket
- 1 pair of work gloves
- 1 pair of knitted fingerless gloves
- toiletries
- beard trimmer

When I left home I had on another t-shirt, another pair of jeans, plus boxer briefs & socks, bringing all those totals up by one. I only need one pair of shoes for this trip, so that's easy. And in my Smart Alec, along with my laptop, camera, and other techy accessories I have 2 hoodies.

kacey
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
My aeronaut has been with me everywhere... but perhaps the most impressive packing list was from the summer of 2008 when I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Indonesia and Japan. There was a trekking component as well as a dive trip so packing was a bit of a challenge since I didn't want to have to check my bag. Here's some of what was packed:

3 pairs pants (converts to shorts)
2 long sleeve shirt
1 skirt
3 socks
7 underwear
1 pair shorts
1 fleece
1 long sleeve T
hiking shoes
silk sleeping bag liner
travel pillow
toiletries (all the standards - including sunscreen)
flippers
hiking poles
mask
snorkel
bathing suit
towel (Adventure towel)
hat
travel guide (2)
iphone/charger
3 t shirts
2 tank tops
small backpack for day use
water shoes
1 dress
2 sarongs (purchased)
2 pieces pottery (purchased)
Various other souvenirs

Yes, a combination of packing cubes were used. :)

Yonkdaddy
05-16-2011, 08:56 AM
I've had my Aeronaut (Black/Iberian) for about 6 weeks and it's finally packed for its first voyage: an 8-day family vaca to the Florida Keys. Here's my list:

Main Compartment
Large Packing Cube:
4 x short sleeve sportshirts
3 x "Technical T-Shirts"
2 x ordinary T-shirts
3 x shorts
1 x yoga pants

Small Packing Cube:
5 x sport sox
5 x undies
1 x boxers

Packing Cube Shoulder Bag:
1 x Boardshorts
1 x Swimsuit
1 x rashguard

Around the edges:
SoundMatters FoxL V2 Speakers
Shaving Bag
First Aid Kit
Tilley Hat
Point & Shoot in Mini Padded Organizer Pouch, clipped to Small OP with my iPad Camera Kit, spare camera battery, spare SD card, and chargers for 2 different digital cameras
Patagonia R2 fleece (for the cold plane)
My iPad in its DODOCase
Magazines

Side Pocket 1 (in an End Packing Cube):
Sanuk "sandals"
Teva sandals

Side Pocket 2
3-1-1 bag (of course in a 3-D Clear Organizer Cube)
Chargers/auxiliary batteries for my iDevices (packed in a Waterfield Medium iPod Travel Case (Sorry Tom))
Bose QC15 Headphones
Monster Beats Tour Headphones
Sunglasses
Eyeglasses

This isn't quite a "One-Bag" trip, though... I've got my Eagle Creek ORV Trunk containing:
SCUBA Bouyancy Compensator
Regulator Bag
Mask
Fins
Snorkel
Dive computer
Divelog/C-Card
Dive boots/gloves
Shorty Wetsuit
Skinsuit
Save-A-Dive kit
Miscellaneous accessories

Yonkdaddy
05-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Heading out on a 6-day conference, with an interesting load in the Aeronaut... after all, gotta keep fit while on the road! (accompanied by my Checkpoint Flyer's maiden voyage)

Main compartment
Large Packing Cube
4 dress shirts
2 dress t-shirts
1 workout tshirt
2 pair chinos

Small Packing Cube
5 pair briefs
5 pair sox
1 pair workout shorts

Packing Cube Shoulder Bag
1 pair cycling shorts
1 tech t-shirt
Polar Heart Rate Monitor
1 pair cycling sox

Around the edges
SoundMatters FoxL Bluetooth Speakers
Clear Quarter Packing Cube as Shaving/Medical Kit
Sea To Summit Ultrasil Packable Day Pack (for the gym)
Platypus 1L waterbottle

After packing in the main load, I will use the following technique to fold my blazer and will lay in on top of the load... just folding the jacket in thirds instead of in half. Don't know just how it will work out but practiced it while packing & left the jacket in the bag for a whole day... came out unwrinkled! I have used this folding technique many times in my old rolling luggage and it works very well.

YouTube - ‪Jacket folding - light travel one-bag packing technique‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWz6aJPae7s)

End Compartment 1
1 pair cycling shoes for spin classes
1 pair Nike trainers for TRX workouts

End Compartment 2
3-1-1 bag
TRX Suspension Trainer

In the Checkpoint Flyer
Thinkpad laptop
iPad
Bose QC15's
WaterField iPod Travel Case containing all my iPhone/iPad chargers, external batteries, cables, etc.
magazines
pens/pencils/etc.
specs & sunglasses