PDA

View Full Version : Aeronaut Vs Tristar pros and cons?

bluedenim
05-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I am on the fence between these two.
I will be traveling to Europe in the Fall for about 3 weeks. I am concerned I will be forced to check my Aeornaut on one of my flights while in Europe based on their restrictions. In fact I may even have to check the Tristar because they don't allow a personal item (my camera messanger bag) so I probably will have to check regardless.

I like the design of the tristar and the various compartments and I like the Areonaut because I think it might just have a tad more space and be easier to pack for a three week trip

I am on the fence on which to purchase.

What are the pros and cons of both?

Frank II
05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I went with the Tristar because of the European restrictions. I can fit my messenger/daybag into the center section of the Tristar allowing me to have only one bag to carry-on.

When I looked at everything I take on a trip, I just couldn't make the Aeronaut design work for me. The Tristar, however, is perfect for my needs.

I had looked at another bag similar to the Tristar but hesitated because it lacked backpack straps. While I'm only going to use these occasionally, they are still nice to have. And with the addition of a waist strap, I may use it in the backpack mode more often.

My suggestion would be to make a list of everything you want to take and then see which bag would be easier for you to pack and utilize. BTW....just because a bag is bigger doesn't mean that's better. Yes, you can take more, but do you really need to?

BTW--your screen name is the same as I see on another travel board run by a company also in the Seattle area. Be careful mentioning these bags there. I did once and people went bonkers when they heard the prices. The $30 bag people foam at the mouth.

bluedenim
05-07-2009, 10:50 AM
good points....I guess I would like to know what the dimensions of each compartment is on the tristar as that would help in making my decision.
I just doubt I could fit my camera messenger bag in the middle compartment.

I can pack pretty light, footwear is always my downfall.

I am currently thinking:

one pair of dress pants
one dress shirt, maybe two

3 t shirts
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cargo pants
1 light linen pants
1 hoodie
5 pair underwear/socks
1 pair of dressy shoes
1 pair of pumas (pack easily)
small toiletry kit (very basic, all tsa approved shave cream, moisturizer, gel, toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, a few band aids, tide pen, tylenol,)

I will wear my jacket, jeans, t shirt and heavier shoes

scotlib
05-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi,

I have also done a bit of wavering between the Aeronaut and Tri-Star.

I do have the Tri-Star on order, but I have wondered (a bit) about adding an Aeronaut to the order and comparing them in person.

One of the reviews linked from the TB blog had comments from readers and one noted what seemed to be smaller measurements than noted for the Aeronaut (listed as 22x14x9).

It just makes me wonder, though even if the Aeronaut were a bit "smaller" in person, maybe it would be still too big (for my tastes, anyway).

Anyone have both on order to compare?

scotlib
05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I asked about the size of the Aeronaut in people's closets on another thread, too, and I just read a reply that has me deciding I will stick with just the Tri-Star for now, though I would certainly love to read any message from Darcy about a bag along the idea of a "slender Aeronaut" (a 20x13(or14)x8 Aeronaut) :-)

Cheers.

timothy
05-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Scotlib wrote: "I asked about the size of the Aeronaut in people's closets on another thread, too, and I just read a reply that has me deciding I will stick with just the Tri-Star for now, though I would certainly love to read any message from Darcy about a bag along the idea of a "slender Aeronaut" (a 20x13(or14)x8 Aeronaut) :-)"

Now *that* would be a good use for (my favorite bag name so far) "the Starlite."

timothy

backpack
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
bluedenim, it would be best for you to find out which airline you are going to fly in the fall.
Try to do carry-on only.

Reviews about European airlines are no more enthusiastic that the ones about U.S airlines.

I might have to use a skydoo and ice breaker combo to get to Europe.

I have heard they have cruises from the U.S to Europe now. ;)

scotlib
05-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Reviews about European airlines are no more enthusiastic that the ones about U.S airlines.

Hi,

I can offer one positive review ;-)

I used Virgin Atlantic to fly home from London and absolutely loved the experience: friendly staff, the meal was fine but the snacks (ice cream bar, cookie, brownie, mint) were great, and lots! of leg room for economy, I thought. Details: I am 5'6", YMMV. If I had the $ I would try the premium economy, those seats looked great!

Only issue was VA's 13 lb limit for carry-on. It absolutely makes no sense for a 22x14x9 bag when you max the weight far before the room in the bag (thus, one reason for my quest for a thoughtfully designed, smaller bag, and light on weight for the bag itself would be a "pro").

Shiva
05-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi all:
I think the Western Flyer is a good option actually. You can fit all of your clothes listed above in there; and no matter how fully packed it just looks like a larger laptop bag. And I would put the camera stuff in the WF, and put some of the toiletries and other things in a small Imago or something and take it on board....just a thought. I have found it easy to take a small messenger bag on board provided it is not SEEN as a camera bag, or a laptop bag!

backpack
05-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Sorry to continue the off topic.
What kind of airliner were you on?
Do you know of a website which rate airlines besides epinions?

I second the Western Flyer idea based on the way it looks on the male model which I assume is Tom.

Hi,

I can offer one positive review ;-)

I used Virgin Atlantic to fly home from London and absolutely loved the experience: friendly staff, the meal was fine but the snacks (ice cream bar, cookie, brownie, mint) were great, and lots! of leg room for economy, I thought. Details: I am 5'6", YMMV. If I had the $ I would try the premium economy, those seats looked great!

Only issue was VA's 13 lb limit for carry-on. It absolutely makes no sense for a 22x14x9 bag when you max the weight far before the room in the bag (thus, one reason for my quest for a thoughtfully designed, smaller bag, and light on weight for the bag itself would be a "pro").

scotlib
05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Sorry to continue the off topic.
What kind of airliner were you on?
Do you know of a website which rate airlines besides epinions?

I second the Western Flyer idea based on the way it looks on the male model which I assume is Tom.

I'm sorry, backpack .. if you're going in the direction that a cross-Atlantic flight likely would not give a same experience as an European intercity flight, true.

I had better stick with what I know exactly .. the flight over on a Northwest 757 was not nearly as comfortable nor worth telling anyone anything as the flight back with VA's 747.

Hmm, I have done some short European domestic flights: British Airways from LHR to EDI and back, and this year from AMS to EDI with KLM (all the letters :-) Each BA flight was on an Airbus, I think, very comfortable compared to almost any US domestic flight I ever have had in a Boeing. I do not know what type KLM flew but again more comfortable, actually, than my typical remembrance of a US domestic, I think, except for some on Southwest.

I have flights with Aer Lingus this coming July. I certainly have read some foaming-at-the-mouth angry reviews of that airline, so it could be interesting ...

For reviews, I type the name of the company and +review or +opinion into Google and just find whatever is out there.

Cough, okay, back to the thread and its idea of bag size.

I find it difficult to tell someone how much should fit in what space. A petite person's clothes are so different by width and/or height, for example, from my plus-size requirements or my 6'2" son's.

flitcraft
05-08-2009, 09:34 AM
This website has loads of ratings, information, and reviews on airlines:
www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/ranking.htm

A lot of the reviews will tell you about the reviewer's experiences on specific flights--very useful if you are comparing a couple of long haul options.

As for the question about the Aeronaut versus the Tristar--they are such different bags that it depends on how you pack and what you are taking. The Aeronaut's granpappy is a duffle bag, whereas the Tristar's granpappy is a suitcase. You can get a lot more (both volume and weight) in an Aeronaut, and its sides are much more forgiving of oddly shaped items. For me, the Aeronaut is too big to comfortably tote, whereas the Tristar is just about right. My Tristar is currently being anxiously awaited. I know that I will also eventually get one of the slimmed down Aeronauts when it gets made, though. Different kinds of travel demand different kinds of bags...

bluedenim
05-08-2009, 12:34 PM
well my intereurope flight will be on jet2.com and they have a limit of one item maxium 19 inches....so I am sure the areonaut will be forced to checked.
I think I could get away with the tristar but I am just not sure I could put my camera equipment in it along with my clothes so I might be forced to check it as well.
the rest of the trip is fine with BA and train.

Lime
05-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Scotlib wrote: "I asked about the size of the Aeronaut in people's closets on another thread, too, and I just read a reply that has me deciding I will stick with just the Tri-Star for now, though I would certainly love to read any message from Darcy about a bag along the idea of a "slender Aeronaut" (a 20x13(or14)x8 Aeronaut) :-)"

Now *that* would be a good use for (my favorite bag name so far) "the Starlite."

timothy

I'm waiting for it too but I think a better name would be "Nauttie" ..*chuckles*

timothy
05-08-2009, 04:53 PM
"I'm waiting for it too but I think a better name would be "Nauttie" ..*chuckles* "

Now, hold on a minute: what about the "Notfornaut"? :)

timothy

dsmking
05-21-2009, 11:08 AM
I am also trying to decide between the two and have been looking at both the Tom Bihn web pages and the various Aeronaut reviews. I noticed that the Tri-Star description talked about Poron foam padded briefcase handles which sounds different from the Aeronaut.

Can anyone who has seen both talk about the difference in the briefcase handles? Are there any plans to change the Aeronaut briefcase handles in future runs (like the Indigo/Solar in June)? I suspect I will be waiting until then to order.

One other thing - do the waist straps on the Tri-Star and Aeronaut use gatekeeper clips? I really love them on my Buzz.

Thanks,
David

MsMoon
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
One other thing - do the waist straps on the Tri-Star and Aeronaut use gatekeeper clips? I really love them on my Buzz.

I can't speak to the Tri-Star, but the Aeronaut retro-fit waist straps I just received do use gatekeeper clips. I believe the ones you can order now also come with the similar system.

timothy
05-21-2009, 12:26 PM
I've semi-impulsively bought a used Aeronaut (should be here soon) partly because of the waist-strap's availability. [ETA -- I'll have to have it retrofitted, but that's a nice thing about living near the factory.]

Down the road, I hope to get a Tristar, too -- that had been the goal until a few weeks ago, but I hadn't quite built that slushfund to the right point ;)

I can't quite decide either between them: I tried on the prototype Tristar, and liked it very much, but the Aeronaut is its own, slightly different genius. I hope to use that for a plane trip this July, and though I'll be bringing other stuff that rules out a "one-bag" trip, when I cross the country in August on a 2-month round-trip voyage by car, the Aeronaut is slated to hold my clothes for the trip. (Except for a wedding-suitable suit, which will travel separately.) Putting off the Tristar (since that fund morphed into the Aeronaut) would eliminate the temptation to make it a *two*-clothing bag trip. But the next time I travel outside the country, a Tristar looks perfect, for its slightly smaller dimensions.

(And I'll be bringing some stuff back from the east coast, so there's reason that I want to pack light even on a car trip. That, and my desire to get the best gas mileage I can from an Impreza.)

timothy

bluedenim
05-21-2009, 12:50 PM
I am still on the fence. I am considering buying both the tristar and the areonaut and I will use one and my partner the other.
I think one of my main concerns is the one airline we are traveling with on this trip to europe in October is jet2.com and they have a strict policy. One bag ONLY...and the maximum length is 19 inches. I am trying to see if I can fit all my clothes, my camera in one bag and all my partners clothes and macbook pro in the other.
On every other form or transport it won't matter because we will be able to carry on the laptopbag and camera bag as personal items.

I am pretty convinced the Areoanut will be able to fit everything but I am worried about being forced to check it because of it being just a bit bigger.
As for teh tristar I think it would fit all the clothes and the lap top with on difficulty. I don't know about it fiting everything and my camera bag in the center though....

Hence the consideration to get one of each. But I dont' want to have to check the Areonaut. I may just have to take the risk.

dsmking
05-21-2009, 02:55 PM
I think one of my main concerns is the one airline we are traveling with on this trip to europe in October is jet2.com and they have a strict policy. One bag ONLY...and the maximum length is 19 inches. I am trying to see if I can fit all my clothes, my camera in one bag and all my partners clothes and macbook pro in the other.
Hence the consideration to get one of each. But I dont' want to have to check the Areonaut. I may just have to take the risk.

That sounds similar to one of my worries. One of my trips in the next year will be to Italy - I don't believe that we will be taking Jet2 but I have heard some airlines are developing a strict weight limit. My known trips will be the whole family (2 adults, 2 kids) so the Aeronaut has the appeal that it can be a clothing bag for more than just me but I heard of weight limits as low as 7kg (~15 lbs) which nixes that.

As for the maximum length could you keep the Aeronaut slightly empty (say one end pocket) and squish it into the 19" length? Since an end pocket packing cube is 3.25" high squishing that should get it down to 19".

It just so happens that I have not flown since January 2008 and its gotten a lot more complicated especially the international travel. It actually reminds me of some of the 1940s Science Fiction space travel where space settlers had to fit their life into 10kg "allotments."

David

timothy
05-21-2009, 03:36 PM
'It just so happens that I have not flown since January 2008 and its gotten a lot more complicated especially the international travel. It actually reminds me of some of the 1940s Science Fiction space travel where space settlers had to fit their life into 10kg "allotments."'

It may get ever more so, too -- we may at some point pay primarily by the pound for people. What I've thought about doing is planning ahead more wrt items that are too large to carry on, but that I'll actually need (or intend to pick up in a destination city), and using the mails more. For a long time, I was glad about free checked baggage, because it meant free transport home of anything I could manage to lug to the check-in counter. I flew home with a bunch of books from San Francisco book stores when I was there several weeks ago; Alaskan Air ended their free checked luggage service the week after I returned, so I snuck under the wire.

timothy

bluedenim
05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
that is the other issue...weight...Jet2 is 10kg. It seems like most airlines that I have researched are running around 10kg. I just wonder how strict they are going to be about weight.

Good point about leaving one of the side pockets empty as it might then fit in the the space requirement.